Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web developer/coder or investor needed

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nipaco

All if that would be discussed in a one to one meeting. I've already met with 2 and there were no issues, but I take your point. That can happen in any industry or venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

I find it strange that no one else seems to think that this is too much for one person to do!? A site of the magnitude of what the OP is suggesting would require a few different skill sets to complete at a professional level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nipaco wrote: »
    All if that would be discussed in a one to one meeting. I've already met with 2 and there were no issues, but I take your point. That can happen in any industry or venture.

I dunno if I asked a Electrician to wire my house and he'd get paid when I sold it. Or a mechanic, the same to fix my car and he'd get paid when I sold it, I think I'd get a very short answer. Sounds like you're looking for an investor rather just a employee. Which is a little bit beyond what most people are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    I find it strange that no one else seems to think that this is too much for one person to do!? A site of the magnitude of what the OP is suggesting would require a few different skill sets to complete at a professional level.

I fully agree, sounds like something for a team of developers and designers. I just can't see it ever coming to fruition along the terms proposed, unless the OP finds someone who is as overwhelmed with the idea as he is, and I mean that genuinely. I was overwhelmed by my idea, but I was overwhelmed enough by it to commit myself to learning how to develop it and build it up over a two year period.

What I've also seen happening is a business claiming to be all singing and all dancing, coming along with a big swinging d*ck on one occasion and promising to put a team of people behind it, along the lines of, "we'll put our whole IT department behind this for 6 months, 2 developers, 2 designers, blah blah blah"... All they will want however is the initial idea, or your better developed concept of the core idea, then they will proceed with it themselves without you... Happened to me once a few years back, a business full of f*ckwits wasted a few weeks of my time with such a scheme, never again...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Thats one to be careful of, not to be worried about. All he needs is one person he trusts as a go-between and cto. Then interns will do a lot if you incentivise them with profit-share potential employment and/or equity stake. Or he could just be a d*ck and take advantage of them and then say "bye!", but getting the most out of interns is about the right incentives.

The great thing about when people denigrate others is that when you succeed it is all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

One person could build a working proof of concept, prototype. Eventually.

Does anyone have any information regarding this website ?
    Www.irishinvestmentnetwork.ie
    The cost starts at 149e for standard, up to 249e for express.
    Cheap if it works, expensive if its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'm not comfortable with these as it means putting the clear idea out there and I then have no control over it.

It is possible that you are idea is unique and no one else had thought of it but if no one else is already doing it it maybe because they have tried and there is no market or maybe they implemented it wrongly.

Once the site is launched your idea will be out there giving you first mover advantage but don't be surprised if within 6 months of launch you have competitors cloning your site.

You can try a NDA but hard to expensive to enforce.

Looking for an Angel investor without a working prototype will be hard and if you do get one you may find yourself giving away a large chunk of equity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

I don't know why some people keep suggesting the OP learns how to do it himself. It will take way too long and the results probably won't be satisfactory. And who is running the business part when he is doing that? There is more to a business than the website.

Seems like the OP needs/wants a cofounder so the comparisons to paying a plumber/electrician/mechanic after you sell the house/car don't make make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I still think the best solution is a payment plan to anyone working on the project.

simple rules and clear contract.... full completion within 18months, payment to be completed by 25months including target bonuses agreed etc etc.

if you can not afford a payment plan then maybe its best to save until you can cover the first couple of months or maybe the first years payments (and use those 12months to save to pay the second 12months)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Feckfox wrote: »
    I don't know why some people keep suggesting the OP learns how to do it himself. It will take way too long and the results probably won't be satisfactory. And who is running the business part when he is doing that? There is more to a business than the website.

Seems like the OP needs/wants a cofounder so the comparisons to paying a plumber/electrician/mechanic after you sell the house/car don't make make.

Because some people have found that this is the avenue that they ultimately ended up having to go down in order to get the result that they wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I don't know why some people keep suggesting the OP learns how to do it himself.
    I think people are more suggesting that the OP learn the basics so they can recognise if someone interested in doing the work knows what they are talking about or if they are full of sh1t.
    It will take way too long and the results probably won't be satisfactory. And who is running the business part when he is doing that? There is more to a business than the website.

to me it seems like the OP needs someone who understands what he/she needs in order to create the website - almost anyone these days can build a website, with a WYSIWYG website maker ... however if the OP is after an e-commerce site with SEO he/she has to pay someone to create a program to do what he/she needs....or find someone who can outsource this at a cheaper rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Hmmmm, their contact number is not even obvious!

If you don't want to go down the EI/Enterprise Board route, have a look at the Business Angels service. It'll cost you nothing to speak with them. They're Irish so you can eyeball them, and they'll be confidential. I've dealt with them in Cork, would be happy to pass on the chaps details.

I'd also be happy to take a look at your business plan, however brief. I've no prob with an NDA or if you don't have one I can send you a generic version of mine and you can update it.

Anyway, PM me if you're interested.

Best of luck.

That's great Andy, just had a look at the site and looks good. I'll get in contact with them for sure, or if you send me that guys details would be great.
    I'll pm you a little more detail.
    Thanks a million for the tip

This site is fine, I know the owner, he has set it up in different countries all over the world. Im actually partnering with it for a new site im launching soon.

You get a lot of non-professional investors on there with varying different amounts of money to invest. You don't pay unless an investor shows interest.

Advertisement