Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the GPO in 1916 Looted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

MarchDub wrote: »
    I worked for about 10 years back in the early 80s as a writer of reports for two fire physicists. I was writing up the research results. I learned a lot about modern buildings and about the plastic – the physicists’ word for modern man-made materials - contained in building materials and the contribution that plastic makes to ‘flashover’ or the length of time it takes for modern buildings to catch fire. The difference between this time compared to the pre WWII buildings is enormous - as is the ease with which a fire can start in modern buildings. The hazard of fire grew enormously with the introduction of modern materials – commonly called plastic. And it is not just in building materials – much of modern furniture contains a great deal of plastic. It was the concern for the presence of plastic in the contents and buildings built after WWII that led to the establishment of stricter fire codes and to the modern sprinkler systems.

Hence my statement that buildings in 1916 were likely more difficult to ignite accidentally by looters.
    was there any gold found..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I worked for about 10 years back in the early 80s as a writer of reports for two fire physicists. I was writing up the research results. I learned a lot about modern buildings and about the plastic – the physicists’ word for modern man-made materials - contained in building materials and the contribution that plastic makes to ‘flashover’ or the length of time it takes for modern buildings to catch fire. The difference between this time compared to the pre WWII buildings is enormous - as is the ease with which a fire can start in modern buildings. The hazard of fire grew enormously with the introduction of modern materials – commonly called plastic. And it is not just in building materials – much of modern furniture contains a great deal of plastic. It was the concern for the presence of plastic in the contents and buildings built after WWII that led to the establishment of stricter fire codes and to the modern sprinkler systems.

Hence my statement that buildings in 1916 were likely more difficult to ignite accidentally by looters.

I think I'm missing your point on this- Are you saying the looters set the buildings on fire on purpose rather than accidentally? Or are yousaying that the looters didnt set anything on fire despite the links in several earlier posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I think I'm missing your point on this- Are you saying the looters set the buildings on fire on purpose rather than accidentally? Or are yousaying that the looters didnt set anything on fire despite the links in several earlier posts?

None of the above - I was clarifying a point because the OP came back viciously on the point I was making about the presence of plastic in modern buildings.

He apparently didn't even understand what the word 'plastic' meant and how it has impacted fire physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

CDfm wrote: »
    We were not in a democracy and there were no democracies.

A bit like the Balkan States really.

And the editorial content of newspapers influences whether official advertising is placed in it.

A newspapers revenue is a combination of paper sales and advertising sales.

Interesting that FG and the Indo are still linked.
    When it comes to editorial content of pro establishment papers, it's like as Henry Ford said about the Model T Ford, you can have it in any colour so long as it's black.

mattjack wrote: »
    was there any gold found..?
    You should have asked that of the OP as it is he who has the (silly) theory that gold was looted with " I always heard a story in my family "

• Advertisement

None of the above - I was clarifying a point because the OP came back viciously on the point I was making about the presence of plastic in modern buildings.

But what difference does that make to whether it was the looters or the British or the rebels who set buildings on fire?

It is an interesting point though- I would have presumed that older buildings were more flammable due to wider useage of timber in them and poorer standards of safety precaution. I thought that was why areas of cities burned so easily in earthquakes, wars, etc 100 years ago so hadnt considered plastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

But hey it is an interesting question - were there looters and criminals operating during 1916 - that is a fascinating question.

We know you had prostitution etc -you had Monto as a redlight district

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66974496

I learnt about Francis Sheehy-Skeffington in school ( his wife Hanna Sheehy was a Corkwoman) getting shot by firing squad but no other civilian casualties. What of them, did their families get compensation & what of those who lost homes and businesses.

And if someone came accross a bombed out bank they may have helped themselves to a bag of money.

Its a real Dublin City in the Rare Auld Times topic.

And, while Dublin had tenements -it was also a very cosmopolitan city and had a fantastic transport system.

There is a lot there that is unexplained & it was the begining of a time of huge social change.

Were pre & post Independence Dublin very different ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Stephen Ferguson's book "GPO Staff in 1916" indicates that :

- money to the value of £185 was found in the GPO during the clear up and deposited in the Savings Bank.

- £149 10s was found on one of the prisoners arrested from the GPO.

- official cash lost at the GPO was estimated at £2792 18s 7d

- no value known re the money lost within mail that was burnt

- the armoured car built at Inchicore during the Rising was used to collect money from the Bank of Ireland in the aftermath (£10,000 in silver) for distribution throughout the city (presumably to the various post offices for pensions, separation allowances etc). Storage and distribution from the Bank or Ireland was normal practice. The GPO had just undergone several years of renovation completed just before the Rising. The storage of large funds would have been very unlikely with the Bank of Ireland's facilities around the corner and the building work that had been going on in the GPO.

Excellent reference/ insight johnny. I wonder which of the captured has the £149 10s on them? I think the amounts missing would have been quite significant in 1916. This is another surprising unmentionable part of the rising that I was totally unaware of regardless of how much money was involved but does go some way to answering the OP.

I think the full title is 'Self respect and a little extra leave' http://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/p-874-gpo-staff-in-1916.aspx

- money to the value of £185 was found in the GPO during the clear up and deposited in the Savings Bank.

- no value known re the money lost within mail that was burnt

- the armoured car built at Inchicore during the Rising was used to collect money from the Bank of Ireland in the aftermath (£10,000 in silver) for distribution throughout the city (presumably to the various post offices for pensions, separation allowances etc). Storage and distribution from the Bank or Ireland was normal practice. The GPO had just undergone several years of renovation completed just before the Rising. The storage of large funds would have been very unlikely with the Bank of Ireland's facilities around the corner and the building work that had been going on in the GPO.
    good post...from a previous post of mine...my mother always insisted that a large amount of money was taken by rebels fighting in the GPO and insisted she had worked with a man who fought there and witnessed money being taken

• Advertisement

Now, not doubting Mr Ferguson as he only published the accounts according to this link on the information the book is based on "The eye-witness accounts and official reports prepared by GPO staff within the days of the Rising"

No we all know how reliable "offical reports" are from the British military and the anti Rising papers of the day :)

An interesting link
    1916 Rising Eye-Witness Account

By Joshua C. Manly, Town Clerk, Pembroke Urban District Council
    Dublin City Archives: UDC/2/Mins/14
    Editorial note: This previously unpublished eyewitness account of the 1916 Rising was written by Joshua C. Manly, who held the post of Town Clerk to the Pembroke Urban District Council, a position approximating to the modern Chief Executive. The Pembroke Council was a small local authority, independent of Dublin City, which had responsibility for the south Dublin suburbs of Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Irishtown, Ringsend and Sandymount, along with parts of Milltown. The Council’s headquarters was at the Town Hall, Ballsbridge, but it also owned premises at 18 Merrion Road (the Rate-Collector’s Office); the Pembroke Technical Schools at Shelbourne Road and Ringsend; and the Electricity Works at Londonbridge Road. Each of these premises would be affected by the 1916 Rising.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Heritage%20and%20History/Dublin%20City%20Archives/Collections%20Post%201840/Pages/1916_rising_eye_witness.aspx

Post office held money for pensions
    Wednesday 3rd May 1916

I visited various traders in Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, and Baggot Street areas, being unable to get to either Ringsend or Sandymount owing to the difficulty of getting a permit to do so. I found that there were plenty of provisions available, but that the traders in Donnybrook and Ballsbridge were somewhat short of Butter, Margarine, Eggs, Bacon, and Flour; they however, expected to obtain supplies either in the afternoon to-day or tomorrow. Military Motor Wagons were arriving with supplies in Donnybrook, this I saw myself. The Merchants told me they had provisions but that many of their customers were short of cash to enable them to purchase goods, probably the result of the closing of the Post Offices, thus stopping the Old Age Pension and Separation allowances; I said I would report this and subsequently called at the Donnybrook, Upper Baggot Street and Ballsbridge Offices, the Baggot Street Office being open. At the Ballsbridge Offices I found that they expected to open to-morrow, at Donnybrook Office the Postmaster would re-open at any time, but was waiting cash, about £80, which he would require. It appears that Mr. H. J. Tipping of 12 Villiers Road, Rathmines is Controller G.P.O. for this purpose.

Thursday 4th May 1916

Visited the Post Offices and several Traders and found that the closed Post Offices would be re-opened this afternoon; I subsequently ascertained that they had received a supply of cash and had re-opened and paid Old Age Pensions and Separation Allowances

And this

Edward 'Ned' Daly (1891-1916)
    Edward Daly (1891-1916): Born in Limerick on 28th or 25th (TBC) February 1891 he was the only boy amongst nine sisters. Daly’s family had a history of republican activity; his father had taken part in the Rising of 1867. He knew Tom Clarke through his uncle John Daly who shared a cell with the “dynamiter”– they were brought closer through Tom’s marriage to his sister Kathleen Daly. Later he worked for the chemist wholesalers on Westmoreland Street, May Roberts.

The Christian Brothers who considered him “not by any means a brilliant pupil” educated him. He tried working in Glasgow as a bakers apprentice and then moved to Dublin and worked for some time in Clarke’s shop with his sister. He was one of the first to join the Volunteers and helped to organize for the Rossa funeral in 1915. In the weeks leading up to the Rising, at Seán MacDiarmada’s request he worked full time for the Volunteers.

Ned was commander of the Volunteers First Battalion who were based around the Four Courts area of Dublin during 1916. Daly raided the Bridewell Barracks and found twenty-four members of the Dublin Metropolitan Police hidden in their cells. He also raided the Linenhall Barracks, a building which housed the Army Pay Corps, which his men then set on fire in order to disrupt the system. Ned Daly and his men fought pitched battles with the British around the narrow streets of Smithfield and the Market area of Dublin. After the eventual surrender of the 1st Battalion an unfortunate incident occurred when British soldiers apparently lost control of themselves. They battered their way into houses along North King Street and shot male residents indiscriminately. The discovery of a shallow grave after the Rising that contained two civilian bodies later led to an investigation, which served to help the decisive shift of public opinion against the British forces. On the other hand Daly had captured Col J.P. Brereton and held him in the Four Courts. Later Brereton commended the garrison for their behavior and said “he was treated with kindness by the insurgents.”

Ned Daly was taken to Kilmainham Gaol and took the dubious honour of being the youngest executed – on the 4th of May 1916.
    Return To History
    http://www.1916rising.com/bioDaly.html

So there was an effort to disrupt the system -whatever form that took

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

540608a8d8c8ad859394b6150674141414c3441.jpg
    Max Caulfield's book 'The Easter Rebellion' is a pretty brilliant minute by minute account of the weeks up to and including the rising, and in it there are a good few accounts of Connolly having troops fire over the looters heads in order to deter them from looting, but gave strict instructions that nobody was to be shot, no matter what they were doing.

Connolly was beyond dismayed that the whole purpose of the endeavor was for these very people and yet they didn't realise at the time and continued looting and carrying on 'barborously'. It seems the inner city natives had quite the party and hoolie-lines featuring women in fine hats, sometimes wearing several fine hats at once, snaked around the street for a few days.

Caulfield's book also names the properties looted, the products they typically sold and the resultant retelling of stories of young boys with toys they could never afford and such makes you actually sympathise with them. (Well, i did anyways).

Good book, which if you have any interest in that week, you should really read, if you haven't already.

Excellent reference/ insight johnny. I wonder which of the captured has the £149 10s on them? I think the amounts missing would have been quite significant in 1916. This is another surprising unmentionable part of the rising that I was totally unaware of regardless of how much money was involved but does go some way to answering the OP.

I think the full title is 'Self respect and a little extra leave' http://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/p-874-gpo-staff-in-1916.aspx
    I notice in all your posts in your pedantic search for the truth regarding the alleged looting by Rebels during the Rising, the possiblilty of the British army engaging in such actions hasn't concerned you in the least, and given the reputation of the British army throughout it's history - that's saying something !!!! Do you think the Brits only got invovled in looting from 1919 - 1921 and not just in Dublin but across the country ?

It's amazing now that the alleged theft of £149 10s proves that gold was looted from the GPO.

I notice in all your posts in your pedantic search for the truth regarding the alleged looting by Rebels during the Rising, the possiblilty of the British army engaging in such actions hasn't concerned you in the least, and given the reputation of the British army throughout it's history - that's saying something !!!! Do you think the Brits only got invovled in looting from 1919 - 1921 and not just in Dublin but across the country ?

yes..I have a family member who was involved in the storming of San Sebastin in the peninsular wars..I dont think any of the posts have been pedantic..all the evidence of looting can only be described as second hand at the very least..not one Irishman was ever going to admit to being involved in looting in 1916.even the what I,ve heard is from a friend/workmate of my mother who was in the GPO.

Well as per my previous post - so what? This is typical of any war situation and the expression of "wartime necessity" comes from the so called accepted actions of armies and governments engaged in war. Check out what was going on in the Great War - or even after to the losers at Versailles. The rebels also commandeered milk and food supplies from delivery trucks - oh dear another wrist slapping? Compared to the wholesale 'looting' that the British had done to the entire country [not to mention the world] for over 700 years this is a joke.

But more significantly they took over the means of communications -

From Peter Berresford Ellis
    I am surprised that in all the books written on 1916 no one seems to have turned toThe Post Office Electrical Engineers' Journal (Vol. IX, 1916) and quoted from an article by E Gomersall. Gomersall was the GPO's Superintending Engineer sent to Dublin to re-establish the communications system during the insurrection. He explained that the GPO building had been in the process of enlargement since 1904 and the work had been completed on March 6, 1915. The building housed not only the public offices but the Telegraph Instrument Room, Trunk Telephone Exchange, Sorting Offices, clerical offices of the Secretary Controller (Postal), Controller (Telegraphs) and other support offices. There was only a local exchange in nearby Crown Alley with an automatic exchange, which only have 4000 subscribers.
    Reading some accounts of 1916 one would get the impression that the GPO was a simple building in which one bought stamps at the counter or sent off parcels. The communications equipment was vast and modern for its day and Gomersall lists it in fine and technical detail, also pointing out that while there were only 20 carrying wires on the roof, the bulk of the communication cables were brought into the building underground.
    However, from the strategic planning viewpoint, there was no building better suited for the headquarters of the insurgent forces. When the insurgents took control of the GPO on Monday, 24 April, just before noon, they immediately expelled the staff, the engineers and replaced them with their own men. Michael Collins himself had worked for the GPO and doubtless knew the systems.
    Michael Staines led a detachment of insurgents to the Telegraph Instrument Room which was then evacuated by the female operators whose supervisors was a Scottish lady. Seven armed British soldiers commanded by a sergeant guarded the telegraphs. After Staines fired a shot, they surrendered. Significantly, the historians Caulfield, Foy and Barton all report that the Scottish supervisor asked if she could finish sending out some telegraph death notices before she left. Staines replied: "No. Some of my men will do that."
    Thus it is clear that the insurgents did have trained telegraph operators with them. It is not known who took over the sending of the Declaration of the Irish Republic over the telegraph system. We know that the broadcast was picked up in England and several parts of Europe, also by Transatlantic ships which took the news to the USA.

yes..I have a family member who was involved in the storming of San Sebastin in the peninsular wars..I dont think any of the posts have been pedantic..all the evidence of looting can only be described as second hand at the very least..not one Irishman was ever going to admit to being involved in looting in 1916.even the what I,ve heard is from a friend/workmate of my mother who was in the GPO.
    Well if jonniebgood1 hasn't been pedantic in the discussion my username isn't PatsytheNazi. I suppose it's possible that out of 1,250 Rebels one might have stuffed £149 10s. What gets me is the agenda of some here who are trying to protray the whole Rising as some sort of mass looting spree by the Irish Volunteers and the alleged taking of £149 10s by one individual is 'proof'.

I'm just wondering regarding the OP and the " the looting of gold in the GPO in 1916 ". Did they carry the extremely heavy gold bars away in their socks or butt pockets ? Did the British army not find any of the gold bars on them as they searched them before they marched them away to prision ?

Or was it like the plot out of the WW2 movie Kelly's Heros :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly's_Heroes

Well as per my previous post - so what? This is typical of any war situation and the expression of "wartime necessity" comes from the so called accepted actions of armies and governments engaged in war.
    Well if jonniebgood1 hasn't been pedantic in the discussion my username isn't PatsytheNazi. I suppose it's possible that out of 1,250 Rebels one might have stuffed £149 10s.

So off topic, the thread isn't about the source of De Nile :rolleyes:

Well if jonniebgood1 hasn't been pedantic in the discussion my username isn't PatsytheNazi. I suppose it's possible that out of 1,250 Rebels one might have stuffed £149 10s. What gets me is the agenda of some here who are trying to protray the whole Rising as some sort of mass looting spree by the Irish Volunteers and the alleged taking of £149 10s by one individual is 'proof'.

I'm just wondering regarding the OP and the " the looting of gold in the GPO in 1916 ". Did they carry the extremely heavy gold bars away in their socks or butt pockets ? Did the British army not find any of the gold bars on them as they searched them before they marched them away to prision ?

Or was it like the plot out of the WW2 movie Kelly's Heros :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly's_Heroes

well the OP did actually say hogwash regarding gold........so ya know rumour ,spoof and propaganda etc........wide scale looting ..who knows..

Well if jonniebgood1 hasn't been pedantic in the discussion my username isn't PatsytheNazi.
    Is it my posts you dont like Patsy or is it the links that people have provided which contradict your first post on the topic that this was "simples" when it quite clearly is a complicatied issue. Your refusal to consider certain historical references and first hand accounts as posted by several contributers on this thread reeks of negationism of the worst kind. These are all interesting little pieces of the 1916 rising story that are not commonly known thus I find fascinating. On the whole scheme of things Marchdub is correct- they are not uncommon in confrontational situations and I don't think they change my view of the rising. From school history we learn in this country that support for the participants in the rising did not blossom until the Brits began executing the leaders after the event itself. If you have a problem with the sources people post in a thread you would be better off trying to address the sources themselves rather than other posters, not that I don't find your attention flattering ( I would prefer you not call me bozo as I am unsure if you meant it in a positive way http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71961529&postcount=59).
    Do you think by the way that stealing money rather than gold is a significant difference or are you happy that the OP was a valid query?

• Advertisement

Well if jonniebgood1 hasn't been pedantic in the discussion my username isn't PatsytheNazi.
    I doubt your name in real life is Patsythenazi so that would imply.......?????
    :D

Not all people see the rising the same way.

“What was this Republic of which I now heard for the first time? Who were the leaders the British had executed after taking them prisoners, Tom Clarke, Padraic Pearse, James Connolly and all the others, none of whose names I had ever heard? What did it all mean?”
    So wrote a young British soldier serving in Mesopotamia, or Iraq to you and me. Bemused by what had occured in Dublin, this one soldier had gone to war not lured by the recruitment posters featuring small nations (often personified in the form of female characters) but in his own words “..for no other reason than that I wanted to see what war was like, to get a gun, to see new countries and to feel like a grown man”. This young soldier would continue to serve that army afterwards, but in 1920 became a member of the 3rd Cork Brigade of the Irish Republican Army, rising through the ranks to become a flying column leader who inflicted terror on Auxiliary forces at Kilmichael and the Essex Regiment of the British Army and the Royal Irish Constabulary at Crossbarry. The young man, of course, was Tom Barry.
    tombarrycrossbarry.jpg?w=261&h=478Tom Barry

Barry was not the only Republican leader who saw the Rising in an unusual manner. In Dublin,a young medical student named Ernie O’ Malley was taken aback by events, and vivdly described events on Sackville Street.
    “Other shops had just been looted: Lawrence’s toy bazaar and some jewellers. Diamond rings and pocketsful of gold watches were selling for sixpence and a shilling, and one was cursed if one did not buy…. Ragged boys wearing old boots, brown and black, tramped up and down with air rifles on their shoulders or played cowboys and Indians, armed with black pistols supplied with long rows of paper caps. Little girls hugged teddy bears and dolls as if they could hardly believe their good fortune”
    ernieomalley-e1270403253485.jpg?w=360&h=467Ernie O' Malley

While literally seeing the outbreak of the rebellion, O’ Malley would also encounter a student he knew who told him they were arming themselves in case Trinity College would be attacked. O’ Malley informed the student that while he was off home, he would return later(The fact O’ Malley was a UCD Student would no doubt lead to cries of ‘Sacrilege!’ from some even today). Largely indifferent at first to what was occuring, O’ Malley would quickly turn towards the rebels, even making his way down Moore Street and towards Nelsons Pillar one night, where he discussed the rising so far with a uniformed officer of the Irish Citizen Army. Amazingly, O’ Malley and a schoolboy friend would take it upon themselves to assist the rebels, through taking potshots at soldiers with a rifle his friends father had been given “as a present by a soldier who brought it back from the Front”

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/how-they-saw-the-rising-the-words-of-british-soldiers-anarchists-novelists-poets-medical-students-and-daughters/

« Loves You
    Liffey Swimming »
    Another unusual Dublin plaque, Captain Thomas Weafer.

June 4, 2010 by dfallon

On my recent walking tour of radical Dublin, one of the places I brought people was to the site of the Irish Farm Produce Company restaurant and shop on Henry Street. It was there that the 1916 Proclamation was signed, and indeed the premises was the ‘radical cafe’ of its time. Interestingly, most of the people on the tour had not noticed the plaque marking the location of the premises before. It truly is an unusual Dublin plaque.
    The plaque to Captain Thomas Weafar on the corner of Lower Abbey Street is another prime example of a plaque many Dubliners are unaware of.
    thomaswafer1.jpg
    Captain Thomas Weafer ( The plaque reads Wafer, however as you will see below Weafer is more commonly found when discussing him) was shot and killed on Wednesday April 26 1916 while occupying the Hibernian Bank on the corner of Lower Abbey Street and Sackville Street. The strategic importance of the building is clear. It allowed Weafer and his men to control access to the street from Amiens Street Station for example, and members of the the GPO Garrison were occupying a number of buildings on each side of Sackville Street.
    wafer.jpg
    Meda Ryan wrote about the experiences of Leslie Price (who went on to marry Tom Barry), in her study of the famous Cork rebel leader entitled Tom Barry: IRA Freedom Fighter.
    Receiving no orders, like many Cumann na mBan activists, Leslie headed for the G.P.O
    Initially they cooked meals and helped the men in the Hibernian Bank. On Tuesday forenoon the building came under attack from British troops. Leslie was standing beside Capt. Tom Weafer, OC of the Hibernian Garrison, when a bullet whizzed past her and into his stomach. As she was about to attend to him another bullet lodged in the chest of the man who had gone to Capt. Weafer’s aid. She had just time to say a prayer in Weafer’s ear when he died.
    dub20dublin20-20o20connell20street20intersection20with20abbey20street20lower203008x20002.jpgFrom tropicalisland.de, the building on the corner of Lower Abbey Street and O' Connell Street is the old Hibernian Bank premises

The Rebellion Handbook published in 1916 by The Irish Times gives the following listing for Weafer:
    Weafer, Thomas, was a captain in the Irish Republican Army, and belonged to Enniscorthy, where he was born twenty-six years ago. He was killed in the Hibernian Bank at the corner of Sackville Street and Lower Abbey Street, on Wednesday 26th April.
    Weafer is refered to as Thomas Wafer in an entertaining piece from ‘Sceilg’, the pen name of choice for John Joseph O’Kelly. In his piece The GPO, now widely available within the recently republished Dublin’s Fighting Story, he wrote that
    At the Hibernian Bank, Lower Abbey Street, Captain Thomas Wafer of Enniscorthy died of terrible wounds, at the age of twenty-six, the place in which he fell being soon shrouded in flames
    The body of Thomas Weafer was never recovered, lost to the fire that destroyed the premises . Some idea of the ferocity of the fires that broke out on Sackville Street during the insurrection can be obtained from the Bureau of Military History Witness Statement of Oscar Traynor (W.S 340) who remarked that
    Some time on Thursday a barricade which stretched from the Royal Hibernian Academy to a cycle shop- I think the name of it was Keating’s, on the opposite side of the street, took fire as a result of a direct shell hit. It was the firing of this barricade that caused the fire which wiped out the east side of O’ Connell St. I saw that happen myself. I saw the barricade being hit, I saw the fire consuming it and I saw Keating’s going up. Then Hoyt’s caught fire, and when Hoyt’s caught fire the whole block up to Earl St. became involved. Hoyt’s had a lot of turpentine and other inflammable stuff, and I saw the fire spread from there to Clery’s. Clery’s and the Imperial Hotel were one and the same building, and this building was ignited from the fire which consumed Hoyt’s (…..) I had the extraordinary experience of seeing the huge plate-glass windows of Clery’s stores run molten into the channel from the terrific heat.
    sackville_street_1916_10.jpg
    The National Graves Association unveiled a plaque to Captain Thomas Weafer on Easter Sunday 1936. Notice the Weafer spelling is used on the contemporary site, while the plaque reads Wafer.
    Weafer was a married man who was living in North Dublin at the time of the insurrection. Today, a street in his hometown of Enniscorthy is named after him (Weafer Street) and the plaque to his memory remains. While partially obstructed by a newspaper stall, this plaque remains readable to the passing public. It is, like the earlier linked-to plaque marking the spot of the Irish Farm Produce Company premises, an important site of the 1916 Rising marked.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/1916-and-after/

Sooner or later I knew this thread would go up in flames - if it was a troll then it succeeded in its object.

Do you know what Ireland is? asked Stephen with cold violence. Ireland is the old sow that eats her farrow. James Joyce

Its not all bad and there are some alternative views on it and criticisms of how the history of the period is handled.
    PDF Signaler ce document
    1To speak of pre-independence Ireland and criminal justice in the one breath could once mean only one thing – the uses of state power in defence of the authority of the ascendancy. Ireland under the Union was more often ruled in a state of emergency than of normality. The political conflict of the period and the social catastrophes of famine and mass emigration suggested a context in which agents of criminal justice played a role largely focussed on the maintenance of social order in the interest of the Ascendancy. Such a conception still dominates the popular historiography of modern Ireland, imprint or on television. Talk of police and we are likely to be shown a picture of an eviction or gunfire in the streets of Dublin in 1916.
    2Social historians over the last thirty years have largely overturned such views. There are two stories about Ireland under the Union, and they are not incompatible. On the one hand, it was frequently a disordered society in which sovereign authority was (usually ineffectively) challenged and the forces of order marshalled to respond: occasionally this meant the use of the armed forces in aid of the civil power. On the other, there is a story about Ireland as a modernising society, in which urban and rural changes commonly experienced throughout Europe were accompanied by the development of the modern institutions of criminal justice and other instruments of government. Some have brought these two stories together – recognising that the particular conditions of Ireland (its jurisdictional separateness within a political union, and a seemingly intractable social condition) allowed a peculiar degree of governmental innovation. Hence Ireland developed a prisons administration, police, a paid magistracy, a state system of prosecutions, a national system of lunatic asylums in advance of such developments in England itself.

Ian O’Donnell and Finbarr McAuley, Criminal Justice History: themes and controversies from pre-Independence Ireland

Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2003, 256 pp. (hb), ISBN 1 85182 768 4

http://chs.revues.org/index531.html

So what if there was organised criminal looting accompanying the rising - it would be a cameo or sub-plot to an interesting subject that is already badly researched and presented.

Of course, there was no such looting during the burning of Cork :)

EDIT - There is an inference floating around that public opinion shifted towards the Rebels/Sinn Fein on account of the British Army's treatment of civilians during the Rising.

There popular press does not seem to have been on their side.
    How The Irish Times covered this 'desperate episode'
    Joe Carroll on how this newspaper reported on what it then described as a 'record of crime, horror and destruction'

For the early days of the Easter Rising, The Irish Times had the field all to itself thanks to having its office south of the Liffey. The rival Irish Independent and the Freeman's Journal were in the thick of the action beside the GPO and could not publish. The Freeman's Journal premises on Prince's Street was burned down. The Daily Express office in Cork Street opposite City Hall was actually occupied on Easter Monday by the rebels, and 26 of them eventually died there.

The Irish Times office was at 31 Westmoreland Street, near Trinity College and the Bank of Ireland. The paper had an independent power supply from its suction gas plant. The coverage of the fighting in Dublin was a tribute to the reporters who had to work under very dangerous conditions. The trade paper, Newspaper World, later paid tribute to The Irish Times for its coverage "of the memorable week when the continuing rifle and Maxim gunfire in the Westmoreland Street area made it impossible to venture around. Members of the several departments in the office were in attendance on each day but the paper was not published on the Friday and Saturday." The paper made up for this temporary gap with a Special Extra edition on May 1st.

On the Tuesday after the Rising, the paper reported on how the insurgents had occupied strategic buildings around the city, the resistance they met, the number of casualties and the beginning of the looting in O'Connell Street by what was termed the "Dublin underworld".

A "most shocking" event for the paper was the attack on the unarmed "Veterans' Corps" coming back from a route march in the Dublin mountains to Beggar's Bush barracks, where they were shot down by the insurgents stationed on the railway bridge and in houses around. The reporters and sub-editors were unsure how to describe the insurgents who were referred to variously as "volunteers", "rebels", "Sinn Féiners" and "revolutionists".

Editorially, the newspaper had no doubt where it stood. On the Tuesday, the editorial, entitled "The Outbreak" (see below), thundered that "an attempt has been made to overthrow the constitutional Government of Ireland". This "desperate episode in Irish history can have only one end", and the editor was trusting firmly on a "speedy triumph of the forces of law and order".

At this early stage, before Sackville Street (later O'Connell Street) had been partially demolished, the paper tried to show that normal life in Dublin was carrying on. The main news item was the opening of the Spring Show at the Royal Dublin Society in Ballsbridge and readers were also told about the latest production of the D'Oyly Carte company and the opening of the Feis Ceoil.

MORE SPACE WAS devoted in the first days to the conduct of the first World War in Europe, the Middle East and Africa than to the Rising. The Irish casualties in these battles were highlighted.

The restrictions on non-combatants in Dublin following the imposition of martial law prompted an Irish Times reporter to suggest to readers how to cope with having to stay at home instead of promenading around the streets in the evening. The father could "cultivate a habit of easy conversation with his family" or "put his little garden into a state of decency", do some "useful painting and mending about the house" or "acquire or re-acquire the art of reading", and who better then Shakespeare given that it was the tercentenary of his death?

As the fighting and destruction intensified, the reporters tried to stay detached and factual but there was no denying where their sympathies lay. Thus "Trinity College, Dublin, in the crisis, proved true to its traditions . . . the spirit of the few collegians who happened to be within the gates was indomitable . . . every graduate who could be rounded up answered the call." It was "surely a sign that Trinity had given itself wholly over to the military when one found soldiers playing football on the tennis courts."

Some Trinity students helped prepare the artillery for the shelling of Liberty Hall which the newspaper described as being "for many years a thorn in the side of the Dublin police and the Irish government. It was the centre of social anarchy in Ireland, the brain of every riot and disturbance". The students also captured a "Larkinite" spy who had infiltrated the campus.

There was also praise for the behaviour of the volunteers in the area of the Adelaide Hospital, where some of their wounded had been brought for treatment. "The insurgents in that part of the city seemed to be of a good type. No sign of liquor was ever observed on them and they were invariably courteous, while they refrained from abusing the convalescent soldiers in the hospital."

By the time of the Special Extra edition on the Monday after the Rising, the insurgents had surrendered the previous Saturday, so the editorial, entitled "The Insurrection" (see below), got down to analysing what it called "a record of crime, horror and destruction" by one side but "shot with many gleams of the highest valour and devotion" on the side of the "gallant soldiers". The editorial did "not deny a certain desperate courage to many of the wretched men who today are in their graves or awaiting the sentence of their country's laws."

For this last category, "The State has struck but its work is not yet finished. The surgeon's knife has been put to the corruption in the body of Ireland and its course must not be stayed until the whole malignant growth has been removed." Was this a call for the execution of those the paper called the "ring-leaders" and the "arch-conspirators"?

THE RIVAL Freeman's Journal, when it re-appeared on May 5th, saw it as a "bloodthirsty incitement" to the government. The Irish Times rejected this charge but later in the week made clear it supported the British prime minister, Herbert Asquith, when he refused to call for a stop to the executions while the last two signatories of the Proclamation still alive, James Connolly and Seán MacDermott, were awaiting their fate.

Across the river, the Irish Independent was back on the streets after a 10-day break, and in its editorial of May 10th pleaded for leniency for those who filled "only minor parts".

"When, however, we come to some of the ringleaders, instigators and fomentors not yet dealt with, we must make an exception." It was clear to readers that Connolly, who had been a bugbear to the proprietor of the Independent and of the Dublin tramway company, William Martin Murphy, was being referred to. "Let the worst of the ringleaders be singled out and dealt with as they deserve." Whether this reflected the views of the mainly Catholic business class and clerical readers of the paper is hard to know. Connolly and MacDermott were shot two days later.

The editor of The Irish Times must have been gratified by the letter in the edition of May 12th in which a reader wished "to express my recognition of, and gratitude for, the fearless way in which you are daily giving correct expression to the views of all loyal Irish people in this deplorable crisis".

The demand for The Irish Times was so great that it reprinted the issues of Easter Week when it was the only newspaper to be had. The Weekly Irish Times came out with a triple issue dated April 29th, May 6th and 13th. This issue contained a complete record of the Rising with full details of the fighting, lists of casualties and prisoners, sentences and deportations and pictures of the main personalities. The paper boasted that the issue was "enormously popular and had a colossal circulation which far exceeded anything ever previously claimed by any Dublin newspaper, morning, evening or weekly". (The Weekly Irish Times was a companion to the daily title, taking a longer look at the events of the week gone by. Often bought to send to family members abroad, it continued to be published until 1941, when it was replaced by the Times Pictorial.)

A year later, in 1917, the Weekly Irish Times published the 286-page Sinn Féin Rebellion Handbook, which reproduced the contemporary reports of the Rising and its aftermath with maps. But it also included later accounts of the courts martial, Roger Casement's landing, capture, trial and execution, two commissions of enquiry, full lists of those killed, taken prisoner, honours and promotions. It is an amazingly comprehensive account of every aspect of the Rising. It was republished in 1988 in facsimile form and is now a collector's item.

http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/easterrising/theirishtimes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Really enjoying this thread despite some provocative posts. For me 1916 is too close to be history , in the way that I regard 1798, and for that reason I find it difficult to contribute to this discussion but do keep it going! Am I correct in thinking that a lot of the Lawrence photographic collection was destroyed in the fire at their O'Connell Street shop?
    I have a pass issued to my Grandfather to travel across the city during the Rising - I'll post a pic when I dig it out - should have sent it to Whyte's recent auction. :D

Francis Sheehy Skeffington was arrested on the way back home from preventing looting and had been involved in getting police posted and as I understand it the unarmed police were withdrawn following the killing of some of their members.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
    " Throughout that day and the next my husband actively interested himself in preventing looting. He was instrumental in saving several shops ; he posted civic guards, and enlisted the help of many civilians and priests. He pleaded with the crowds and persuaded them to return to their homes. But by Tuesday evening the crowds were getting out of hand. Everyone feared the worst. My husband called a meeting for that evening to organise a civic police. We met at 5.30 and had tea. I went home by a roundabout route, for I was anxious about my seven-year-old boy. I never saw my husband again.

[/FONT]

In fact it was the events surrounding his death and other civilian murders by Captain Colthurst & Co and the publicity campaign by Hanna his wife that had a huge affect on public opinion about the rising.

There is more here -but I limited it to the reference to looting.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]http://www.generalmichaelcollins.com/Michael_Collins_own_Story/12SHEEHY_SKEFFINGTON.html [/FONT]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarchDub viewpost.gif
    Well as per my previous post - so what? This is typical of any war situation and the expression of "wartime necessity" comes from the so called accepted actions of armies and governments engaged in war.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsytheNazi viewpost.gif
    Well if jonniebgood1 hasn't been pedantic in the discussion my username isn't PatsytheNazi. I suppose it's possible that out of 1,250 Rebels one might have stuffed £149 10s.

CDfm wrote: »
    So off topic, the thread isn't about the source of De Nile :rolleyes:

What???

Really enjoying this thread despite some provocative posts. For me 1916 is too close to be history , in the way that I regard 1798, and for that reason I find it difficult to contribute to this discussion but do keep it going! Am I correct in thinking that a lot of the Lawrence photographic collection was destroyed in the fire at their O'Connell Street shop?
    I have a pass issued to my Grandfather to travel across the city during the Rising - I'll post a pic when I dig it out - should have sent it to Whyte's recent auction. :D

:D this pass,..was it a looters pass by chance ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarchDub viewpost.gif

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsytheNazi viewpost.gif

What???

It was a rebellion where the Rebels went out not expecting either a military success or popular revolt.So why the looting ?

We know that the tactics of the West Cork Brigade was much more militarily sucessful than Easter 1916.

We also know that Hanna Sheehy's publicity of the British Army's "Wartime Nesscessity" lecture tour of the USA

Hanna Sheehy capitalised on the atrocities to great effect even getting an audience with the US President but her role is buried behind a lot of non sequiturs.

Skeffingtons Widow was the Hero of the Hour and it is hardly right that her role gets buried. Thats what happens when you mess with the facts.

Where are her memorials , parks and streets ?????
    :D this pass,..was it a looters pass by chance ?

The thought had crossed my mind but I am far too polite to suggest it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

re the chap who had money on him, I've a feeling I've seen a reference elsewhere to it being collected and documented by the rebels rather than a case of looting. Will skim through the Rising books I have and see if I can find it.

According to offical British sources the O'Rahilly had Lt Chalmers (the officer captured when the GPO was initially stormed) held in a location such that he could observe the GPO safe and see that the rebels were not involved in trying to open and loot it.

Advertisement