Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I presume Texas Fred Chicken will be ok during the renovation? Their gravey should be given protected cultural status

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

D12C wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old post, but any update on this? Has work started? I see that MCA Architects have it on their site, but no mention of dates etc

https://www.mca.ie/projects/retail/dunnes-stores/

Just coped in the link... Dublin 22!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fredkierans

I did hear that Hickey's were at one stage offered a concession within the redeveloped Dunnes Stores, but whether this is true - and whether they agreed to it or not - remains to be seen. The MCA Architect web page showing the streetscape has been up there for years, but it does look good

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Texas fried chicken gone now too soon.last man standing for hickeys

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Texas fried chicken gone now too soon.last man standing for hickeys

Pretty sure hickeys has been gone for a couple of weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I imagine dunnes will go early in the new year. Cant find any confirmation of a start date of redevelopment though. Thats if it definitely gues ahead I suppose

FWIW, Texas Fried Chicken is open tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

WTF? If Texas Chicken closes I will raise hell. The food is horrendous but Jesus that gravy is the best around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I imagine dunnes will go early in the new year. Cant find any confirmation of a start date of redevelopment though. Thats if it definitely gues ahead I suppose

As far as I know neither Dunnes or Texas Fried Chicken will be closing .

Dunnes is currently in a self contained unit and that bit of the current shopping centre TFC is in is only to be refurbished ,

Hickeys did close on December 12th and since then they have kept the doors into the centre closed .

SPDUB wrote: »
    As far as I know neither Dunnes or Texas Fried Chicken will be closing .

Dunnes is currently in a self contained unit and that bit of the current shopping centre TFC is in is only to be refurbished ,

Hickeys did close on December 12th and since then they have kept the doors into the centre closed .

As far as I'm aware TFC have confirmed themselves that they will be closing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And Varadyker did nothing.

I had to do it, went in today and got a 3 piece with a superchip. Apparently closed as of 6pm this evening

sugarman wrote: »
    By the sounds of their Facebook post they're looking for a new premises elsewhere in Crumlin :)

Pity vacant premises are so hard to find in Crumlin...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hot food takeout planning permission is extremely difficult to obtain particularly as a change of use (one new premises in a development would usually slip through)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2019/02/24/business/macaris-glasnevin-fried-chicken/amp

Is this the same outfit - Macaris objecting to them opening in Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So is the plan for the entire centre to become a Dunnes Stores only or will there separate units for other retailers also in the revamped centre?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2019/02/24/business/macaris-glasnevin-fried-chicken/amp

Is this the same outfit - Macaris objecting to them opening in Glasnevin?

Very hard to get planning permission for take away foods as it is and any take away planning will be objected to by chippers near them. They are worse than the mafia.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    So is the plan for the entire centre to become a Dunnes Stores only or will there separate units for other retailers also in the revamped centre?

Very hard to find any reliable info. The assumption would be a revamped centre entirely, although you wouldn't be surprised to see a small Dunnes surrounded by apartments

FWIW, this planning permission document shows that they have an extension until 17 March 2020.

Anyone know whether that's a deadline for works to commence or for works to be completed?

Also, anyone know what happened with the sale of Ashleaf Shopping Centre, which was advertised for €10 million last summer? What happens in CSC may be related to developments there. Ashleaf seems like it's slowly going the same way that the CSC did: empty shops, closed (mostly) pub...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally it would be commencement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

FWIW, this planning permission document shows that they have an extension until 17 March 2020.

Anyone know whether that's a deadline for works to commence or for works to be completed?

The structure would have to be substantially complete, generally this is taken as having the roof on.

Also, anyone know what happened with the sale of Ashleaf Shopping Centre, which was advertised for €10 million last summer? What happens in CSC may be related to developments there. Ashleaf seems like it's slowly going the same way that the CSC did: empty shops, closed (mostly) pub...

Ashleaf Dunnes is one of the busiest in Dublin, thing is the rent on the other units is silly for the location/size of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

ongarboy wrote: »

2 anchors, 4 new units and 3 retained, was the plan at some stage. + 1300 m upstairs for non shopping centre offices or library or summat.

Dunnes must be delighted in the new year.. Texas Fried Chicken gone in Crumlin and Fallon and Byrnes gone in Rathmines.

No doubt theres air minutes in there for someone to spout about the death of edges of the food experience in dublin suburbs, and Dunnes will unify all tastes in the middle ground .

G-Man wrote: »
    Dunnes must be delighted in the new year.. Texas Fried Chicken gone in Crumlin and Fallon and Byrnes gone in Rathmines.

No doubt theres air minutes in there for someone to spout about the death of edges of the food experience in dublin suburbs, and Dunnes will unify all tastes in the middle ground .

The smart move in Rathmines was getting Sheridans, the baker, and butcher into the shop before Crash & Byrne opened. Probably just a coincidence but it wasn't really clear what F&B were offering that wasn't either already in the Dunne's or in the newly-expanded Hopsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Warrior165

I heard on good authority that work will recommence on the redevelopment very soon. Apparently, there will be apartments above the centre facing on to the Crumlin road & the Dunnes will be modelled on the Dunnes at the ilac centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Is it true that the Baron Johns end is to be retained?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Is it true that the Baron Johns end will be retained?

Warrior165 wrote: »
    I heard on good authority that work will recommence on the redevelopment very soon. Apparently, there will be apartments above the centre facing on to the Crumlin road & the Dunnes will be modelled on the Dunnes at the ilac centre.

Thats a significant departure, surely requiring new planning. Have dunnes built appartments anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

G-Man wrote: »
    Thats a significant departure, surely requiring new planning. Have dunnes built appartments anywhere else.

It was part of their original application in 2008 but was withdrawn and replaced with the current permission in 2010 and which they got an extension of in 2015 .

Advertisement