Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crumlin Shopping Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

are you talking about Ashleaf Shopping Centre (your link) or Crumlin Shopping Centre near the garda station? Crumlin Shopping Centre - the ghost town of shopping centres, the shopping centre that the celtic tiger never got near, you can almost SEE the tumbleweed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Think he's mising up the two. Ashleaf seems to be doing well enough, with Dunnes as anchor tenant and good chemists, book shop etc. Crumlin SC withered over 20 years. There were landlord issues if I remember correctly, and all the tenants left one by one. I'm sure someone has all the details. Was never upgraded and was surpassed by other newer centres, e.g. ILAC Centre, Tallaght, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Crumlin Shopping was meant to be knocked down, hence none of the shops renewing their rents back then, the place used to be booming till places where told not to bother staying there as it was closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

This is the place beside Sundrive Road Garda Station yeah?

This is the place beside Sundrive Road Garda Station yeah?

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Think it was something along the lines of Dunnes own the site,want to knock it down and redevelop but Tesco wont give up their lease and the whole place has just been left in a stalemate
    Pretty depressing place to shop atm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Yeh sorry Im talking about the one with Tesco open in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

mvt wrote: »
    Think it was something along the lines of Dunnes own the site,want to knock it down and redevelop but Tesco wont give up their lease and the whole place has just been left in a stalemate

That is right

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Tom1991

remember when i was a kid goin up there
    there was the three dunnes and tesco there
    the pound shop ,tuthills,hector greys,the newsagents,
    the two banks,the three hairdressers ,three coffee shops
    two butchers,Rtv, a womans clothes shop,satellite sports,molloys
    the pharmacy,wigodrs,esb shop,abrakebabra n prob more im forgettin
    sad to see the state its in
    i though tesco had bought the site but dunnes wont relinquish there lease.dunnes dont even bother opening on sunday anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

crumlin SC is a kip now wouldent shop there anymore:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Tom1991 wrote: »
    i though tesco had bought the site but dunnes wont relinquish there lease.dunnes dont even bother opening on sunday anymore

Yeah there was a great little Golden Discs there too.The day the bulldozers move in and demolish the kip will be the thing thats happened to it in years.Its an eyesore at this stage.Oh and it had a great swimming pool beside it too with sauna's and a little gym.Closed down now what a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

mvt wrote: »

I wonder if they still want to redevelop it? Can't imagine that anyone has the money for re-development now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I opened my first savings a/c in the Irish permanent in CSS.......just saying :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

realies wrote: »
    I opened my first savings a/c in the Irish permanent in CSS.......just saying :-)

Snap except Bank Of Ireland. :)

I lived near there briefly as a kid and one of my childhood memories was being there and it always being full of shoppers - even up to the late 80s.

First real part time job was in the Dunnes there doing the evening shift after school to get money for mod threads and drink. :)

Bought my first album (Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants) in the Golden Discs there as well.

Sad to see it these days. As a poster on another boards forum said, it's one eerie place now. Probably one of the few old school shopping centre left along with Northside.

I remember to there was a disco bar over the kentucky fried chicken, forget the name of it. I think it started with the letter B.

Is the swimming pool & gym still open ?

Is the swimming pool & gym still open ?

Think it is but very short opening hours, there was a big campaign to keep it open there a while back.

I remember to there was a disco bar over the kentucky fried chicken, forget the name of it. I think it started with the letter B.

Baron Johns? Or I think that was the pub.

Rough as a bear's arse IIRC. :)

the newsagents,

They used to do the nicest 99's in Dublin I do recall, that used to be my treat after having to endure a few hours in Crazy Prices with the mother when I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Was in the electrical shop in the Crumlin SC a few years back and some guy followed me in there and shouted 'are you the 98FM fugitive?'

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TangoVictor 31

stovelid wrote: »
    Baron Johns? Or I think that was the pub.

Rough as a bear's arse IIRC. :)

Was then given a little makeover then became Cahoots for a while. Rough isn't the word. Was a great pub though, only pool table in a pub around that area as far as i can remember, but thats were most of the trouble came from fights over games.

Dunnes had planning permission granted last year for demolition and rebuild of both the centre and pool site but nothing has happened yet. Its sad to see it the way it is now. It could be a great centre again, it was up until the late 90's and held its own against other centres. It wasn't a lack of customers that closed the shops in it, it was all lease issues. Dunnes wanted to open a major store by knocking units into each other and taking in the mall between the two sides, but the crazy prices/tesco store had the anchor agreement for grocey going back to when the centre was built before Dunnes took over the centre so they couldn't exceed the sq ft of their store. This is why they want to knock the centre in its current configuration and rebuild to have Dunnes as the major anchor but as i understand it tesco are trying to stay.

• Advertisement

Think it is but very short opening hours, there was a big campaign to keep it open there a while back.

Campaign was to keep Windmill Road pool open. Swimming pool and gym at shopping centre closed about 2 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah there was a great little Golden Discs there too.The day the bulldozers move in and demolish the kip will be the thing thats happened to it in years.Its an eyesore at this stage.Oh and it had a great swimming pool beside it too with sauna's and a little gym.Closed down now what a shame.
    Most of Crumlin is an eyesore tbh.

If it is, then most of Dublin is tbf.

Bit unfair MM, Its a huge housing estate built in the 40,s with some lovely fine parks and some very pleasant area,s,it also has a lot of very old history to it especially crumlin village with tremendous work done by the local crumlin heritage society.

Ps I am not from crumlin nor do I or have ever lived there.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I think the only thing you missed out was the bookshop that was near the Golden Discs.

I’ve a lot of good memories of the CSC. I’d help my Ma with the shopping then get a comic in the news agents opposite the Quinnsworth and a cake at the bakers next door. And I remember Santa arriving by Helicopter one year. Sad to see the state it’s in now.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    And I remember Santa arriving by Helicopter one year

:) What happened his reindeers ? :)

In the early 80,s it was always jampacked & the carpark was a nightmare,it will be intresting to see what happens when all the legal carryon gets sorted out,Its in a great location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

It is a great location. I can see a new shopping centre cropping up at some stage. Thank god it won't be a load of apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

eco2live wrote: »
    That is right

I heard exactly the same about the old Ballymun S.C. Nice work, Tesco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I still shop there every week and am still baffled as to why leases to the coffee shop, butchers, hair salon etc aren't offered. This is a little gem of a shopping centre and could be thriving again. There's probably 50+ jobs for locals waiting if this could be re opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

That shopping centre is like a graveyard for businesses only Dunnes and Tesco left. I heard that they are going to demolish it as soon as tescos lease up....dont know how true that is but what a shame I remember my mam bringing us to see santie there when we were kids and it was always packed.And always seemed much bigger than it actually is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samuelasaolu

Does anyone know who exactly owns Crumlin Shopping centre.
    We might be able to negotiate a deal that will both rescue shopping Centre from ruin, preserve it's the history and legacy as well as revitalise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Does anyone know who exactly owns Crumlin Shopping centre.
    We might be able to negotiate a deal that will both rescue shopping Centre from ruin, preserve it's the history and legacy as well as revitalise it.

not worth it

let dunnes do to it what they must

will be better than what it is now !

Centre is owned by Crumlin Investment Properties, which is a company owned by Dunnes. Just an update on state of centre: Tesco has recently had a small make over of its interior, freshly painted, new shelving in places new lighting and signage and good cleaning. Looks ok on inside but it's badly let down outside in the mall and carpark although i belive this is Up to landlord to sort. Carpark resembles the surface of the moon in places, craters everywhere !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm misting up reading this..
    I used to go there with my folks and also my granddad used to bring us there every Saturday when he did his shopping (we'd get taken for a meal and something nice out of Hector greys or tuthhills).Went to Santa there a few times a a nipper too.
    I remember getting comics from that newsagents .The part of Dunnes opposite Bank of Ireland used to sell off toys cheap after Christmas so I remember getting stuff out of there.I got my first record in Golden disks there as a kid , and later as a teenager got a lot of metal records there too.When I started going drinking in my early twenties my mates and me would use the gym and pool on the odd Saturday morning before going for a hangover cure in town.A whole lot of memories.
    .I called in a year or two ago and its desolate ..nothing left but the dunnes and tesco's.

Campaign was to keep Windmill Road pool open. .

Jaysus, is that pool closed now? I lived right beside it as a kid.

They'll close Pearse Park next. :(

The shopping centre would surely be a goer if they redeveloped along the lines of the Ashleaf one.
    Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I’d help my Ma with the shopping then get a comic in the news agents opposite the Quinnsworth

Think the newsagents was Page One? And the little one beside the door onto Crumlin Road was Page Two. Or vice Versa? I used to always get me Slush Puppy drink in the smaller one. The bigger one (across from Quinsworth) sold toys and the like as well.

Think there was a little greasy spoon opposite the Quinsworth called Coffee Dock or Coffee Stop?

I used to love going shopping with me ma and I would be taken for a bite to eat and felt like a little man. :) Every Christmas the whole place always seemed so jammed with people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Centre is owned by Crumlin Investment Properties, which is a company owned by Dunnes. Just an update on state of centre: Tesco has recently had a small make over of its interior, freshly painted, new shelving in places new lighting and signage and good cleaning. Looks ok on inside but it's badly let down outside in the mall and carpark although i belive this is Up to landlord to sort. Carpark resembles the surface of the moon in places, craters everywhere !

Interesting, I wonder have Tesco crunched the numbers and found out its worth keeping a store open just to block Dunnes from developing the site. Not unknown for them to buy good retail plots around towns to block other supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just to give an update

Tesco closed on 23rd April so it's just Hickey's chemist and Dunnes left there now

Dunnes got the planning permission for a smaller centre renewed in 2014 though the house bit was dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, the clothing dept is gone and will go to the ex-Tesco location. (so I'm told)

The former clothing / foodstuffs area has been rejigged and now looks like nearly every other Dunnes Stores.

I went in for a look at 5.30 on Saturday as they pulled the shutters down for the last time.

They really need to just bulldoze the place and put in some housing with a smaller Dunnes/Hickeys, no need for a whole shopping centre anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

They really need to just bulldoze the place and put in some housing with a smaller Dunnes/Hickeys, no need for a whole shopping centre anymore.

Dunnes apparently want to operate out of the site while it is redeveloped so that is not an option

Here is a link to the planning permission from last year http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=3078/09/x1&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2866339%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=3438751%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:DESC%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2866339%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,559 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retain the pub? Has it even been open in the past decade? Does it even have a licence if it hasn't?

L1011 wrote: »
    Retain the pub? Has it even been open in the past decade? Does it even have a licence if it hasn't?

Where was the pub in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Tom1991

Above molloys off licence bit like Chasers in ballyfermot being the top floor of a shopping centre.
    Think it was called cahoots way before my time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Where was the pub in there?

Upstairs, above Molloy's. Was called Baron John's as far as I remember.

There was another thread in 2011, pub was both Baron John's and Cahoots.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71963488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,559 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, that's just this thread 5 years ago!

L1011 wrote: »
    No, that's just this thread 5 years ago!

Inception!

Ha! That actually came up when I Googled Baron John's and I could have sworn it was a different thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,012 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Crumlin Shopping Centre has one of the best pages on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Crumlinshopingcentre/?fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Was there today for the 1st time in years. Didn't realise tesco had gone and was popping in for a few things. Dunnes has a bit if a supermarket across 2 different units on either side which is odd. A few token clothes things in one if them too. Chemist and the dunnes offie still open. Very eerie feel to the place now. Huge amount of land and carparking around the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The car park is gigantic and usually empty. Remember my kids being born in the Coombe and the tiny car park being a bastard to get into and then a mile up the road, you've such a large, underused car park like that.

It's really sad to see it so deserted and have great memories of it as a kid. It'd be nice if they turned into a functional centre again but kept it the same size and shape.

• Advertisement
Advertisement