Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

How recent is that document? What I really want to know is: is summer 2019 the current projected completion date?

Definitely a recent document as it has Dunnes’ new logo and branding on it. Hopefully it will be completed in 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Floor plans http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00270471.pdf

show 7000 m2 anchor tenant - that is massive . New tesco in Liffey valley is 5500.

2nd anchor tenant in the old tesco... or where the temp ds is now.

Then a few extra units for ancillary stuff.

The redev is welcome, but that is one huge store which could hoover up retail shopping and add car traffic in a big area.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

According to Cllr Pat Dunne’s (no relation) flyer that landed in my postbox today: “I have just heard that the work may come to a halt as the last remaining shop, pharmacy [sic], has not yet reached agreement with Dunne’s Stores.”

One can imagine the standoff. Hickey’s is getting almost no foot traffic other than from their most dedicated customers. So they can’t continue doing business in that location. Yet the promise of a big payout must also be factored in.

No mention of Texas Fried Chicken, which is also still trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

According to Cllr Pat Dunne’s (no relation) flyer that landed in my postbox today: “I have just heard that the work may come to a halt as the last remaining shop, pharmacy [sic], has not yet reached agreement with Dunne’s Stores.”

One can imagine the standoff. Hickey’s is getting almost no foot traffic other than from their most dedicated customers. So they can’t continue doing business in that location. Yet the promise of a big payout must also be factored in.

Jesus, what a joke! Hopefully something can be worked out soon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

On a related note, I see the Bridge House bar is being demolished, any idea what is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

francois wrote: »
    On a related note, I see the Bridge House bar is being demolished, any idea what is going on?

Maxol extension, licence will be used for an off-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »
    Maxol extension, licence will be used for an off-licence

Much needed extension, always rammed! They need to try doing something to stop it being used as a rat run through out onto Dolphin Rd!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Much needed extension, always rammed! They need to try doing something to stop it being used as a rat run through out onto Dolphin Rd!

I've seen the guards pulling people who use it to avoid the No Left Turn sign. Only a handful of times in over 10 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Won't they have shops with road frontage? Hope they can do a deal with Hickeys to open up there when it's redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Grew up in Crumlin, we used to go there every week. Used to draw in customers from all over, but as other areas got their own centres in the 80s/90s this would have dropped off (Dunnes opening in Ashleaf wouldn't have helped, either). Bizarre how Dunnes were happy to spend years running the centre into the ground, you'd think they'd prefer to let out units short term to attract custom to the centre, instead of leaving them empty. (The landlords of "pop up shops" don't seem to have any issues turfing these guys out when their time is up)

Surprised that they're keeping one corner of the existing building, it'll probably look out of place compared to the rest.

Hopefully something will be done with the former pool/gym too.

One year coming up to Christmas, someone had a stall selling helium filled balloons near the pyramid shaped structure, I'd never seen helium filled balloons before (early 80s). After a while it looked like half the fecking balloons were stuck onto the ceiling under the pyramid! Imagine the wailing kids and exasperated parents, "No yer not gettin' another feckin' balloon, now shurrup!" :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dunnes wanted to make Tesco leave due to lack of trade. That's why they ran it in to the ground.

As goes leaving the southern bit of the structure - that was the plan but Dunnes have since taken over the Molloys there which is the unit at the end and the entire top floor. That would suggest they're intending to get rid of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Dunnes wanted to make Tesco leave due to lack of trade. That's why they ran it in to the ground.

Well if that was their plan it was a stupid plan because I can tell you that as a regular user of the centre the shop that kept up it's trade was Tesco , possibly because it was nearer the car park and until 2014 nearer the Tuthills and Eurogiant .

Everybody in the local area said Tesco wouldn't go until the had to and indeed that was what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Couldn't they have given Tesco (formerly Crazy Prices, formerly Quinnsworth, formerly Power Supermarkets :) ) notice that their lease would not be renewed at the next review? It seems weird to give a commercial tenant an indefinite right to renew, they might as well have a freehold in that case - so the landlord's only option is to whack up the rent to a silly level, if the lease even allows that...

What we're now witnessing is the culmination of a 45-year-long power struggle between the two biggest supermarket groups in the country. Dunnes play the long game, that's for sure...
    As goes leaving the southern bit of the structure - that was the plan but Dunnes have since taken over the Molloys there which is the unit at the end and the entire top floor. That would suggest they're intending to get rid of it too.

Hmm is there a new planning application does anyone know?

Edit: does anyone know if it's possible to run a self-contained off licence and a self-contained upstairs pub on the one licence? Many Molloys and other offies bought up a pub licence so they could open, I'm just wondering if a pub and an offie which share the same footprint but are effectively separate businesses could share a licence.

Did the pub over the off-licence have two floors? it looks like the structure has two above ground floors. Despite living not that far away I never set foot in Baron Johns or its other incarnations.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You can run them on the same licence if the structure is contiguous. That Molloy's was running on the pub licence until the end and now the pub licence shows as held by Dunnes

There are a very small number of other off licences still using unconverted pub licences presumably so they can go back to being a pub if they wish - this used to be common but the costs of maintaining a pub licence are much higher than converting it to off sales only

Couldn't they have given Tesco (formerly Crazy Prices, formerly Quinnsworth, formerly Power Supermarkets :) ) notice that their lease would not be renewed at the next review? It seems weird to give a commercial tenant an indefinite right to renew, they might as well have a freehold in that case - so the landlord's only option is to whack up the rent to a silly level, if the lease even allows that...

What we're now witnessing is the culmination of a 45-year-long power struggle between the two biggest supermarket groups in the country. Dunnes play the long game, that's for sure...

To my knowledge they were using both tactics .

I know from talking to the people involved that in the small newsagent at the crumlin road entrance that in their case it was putting up the rent to a silly level ( and IIRC he knew they had done similar to others before him ) .

As for Tuthills and Eurogiant was told by people in those shops that they wouldn't renew their leases , Tuthills apparently asked could we move unit and were told no .

As for Tesco word was their lease ran out and Dunnes was going to move into the unit though the Dunnes move happened a lot more slower than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hmm is there a new planning application does anyone know?

Edit: does anyone know if it's possible to run a self-contained off licence and a self-contained upstairs pub on the one licence? Many Molloys and other offies bought up a pub licence so they could open, I'm just wondering if a pub and an offie which share the same footprint but are effectively separate businesses could share a licence.

Did the pub over the off-licence have two floors? it looks like the structure has two above ground floors. Despite living not that far away I never set foot in Baron Johns or its other incarnations.

Its a long time now but I think Baron Johns was just on the one level over the off licence, and former Mr.Donut shop.

Well there's been no work in the centre for the last 6 weeks and from what I heard there is indeed a standoff

SPDUB wrote: »
    Well there's been no work in the centre for the last 6 weeks and from what I heard there is indeed a standoff

Yep. Builders walked off site because they couldn't do any work. It's the Pharmacist refusing to budge.

They were offered space in the Dunnes until the refurbishment is finished but won't accept.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stupid. Don't they realize a revamp, relocation and reopening of the centre will be GOOD for their business??

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Besides the building work is the car park or old swimming pool being touched..

Have council any plans to upgrade the area.

• Advertisement

G-Man wrote: »
    Besides the building work is the car park or old swimming pool being touched..

Have council any plans to upgrade the area.

The entrance to the car park at the swimming pool is blocked off now. I heard the library is moving up from Dolphin's barn, so they might be on that side?

Stupid. Don't they realize a revamp, relocation and reopening of the centre will be GOOD for their business??

Only if they can do the move back/forth with zero downtime otherwise people will move prescriptions elsewhere and be extremely hard to get back

Dunnes would need to front up for mirrored IT systems, stock etc in the new location to let them move overnight. Done for the Hickeys in the old Dundalk S/C

Only if they can do the move back/forth with zero downtime otherwise people will move prescriptions elsewhere and be extremely hard to get back

Dunnes would need to front up for mirrored IT systems, stock etc in the new location to let them move overnight. Done for the Hickeys in the old Dundalk S/C

Well I won't say that Dunnes paid for mirrored IT systems etc last time , as I don't know, but I do remember that they closed in their original shop one day and opened the next day in their current location .

I've heard they were offered the old newsagent site ( Page 2 IIRC )

In Dundalk it was Tesco as owner of the centre, generally more pragmatic than Dunnes on this sort of stuff!

Wheety wrote: »
    Yep. Builders walked off site because they couldn't do any work. It's the Pharmacist refusing to budge.

They were offered space in the Dunnes until the refurbishment is finished but won't accept.

In the currently open Dunnes? Why would they not accept that?! They can't be getting any foot traffic in their current location other than from dedicated customers. The whole back of that Dunnes has space that doesn't get much use. Seems like a win-win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭D12C

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but any update on this? Has work started? I see that MCA Architects have it on their site, but no mention of dates etc

https://www.mca.ie/projects/retail/dunnes-stores/

Part of the old SC was demolished but that's about it to date. Dunnes is in the old Tesco/Crazy Prices location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fredkierans

I asked a member of staff in Dunnes Stores yesterday and apparently the pharmacy will be closing for good around December 12th, so hopefully that will pave the way for the redevelopment work to progress.

I asked a member of staff in Dunnes Stores yesterday and apparently the pharmacy will be closing for good around December 12th, so hopefully that will pave the way for the redevelopment work to progress.

Wonder which side cracked?

• Advertisement

Not sure what Hickeys footfall is like, but I was in there Saturday at 5pm and there wasn't a sinner in the place. Behind the counter medicines looked fairly badly stocked and that.

Crumlin Road Pharmacy the nearest pharmacy to the SC if Hickeys was to go and AC Boles Dolphins Barn direction?

Advertisement