Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Driver Behaviour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

-Chris- wrote: »
    Taking the above into account, what would you suggest the correct line of action is when confronted by an obviously over-aggressive driver like the OP encountered?

IMHO, if they reacted as described, they're imbalanced and a danger to other drivers at best.

So if the radio company don't care, and the taxi regulator doesn't care, should the Gardai care? What's the best option for pursuing this without resorting to getting out of your car and matching aggression with aggression?

Well Chris its simple really. Take the reg number and report it to the Gardai. I was once in the wrong on the road and delivered a tirade of abuse to the other driver. It was reported. I got a visit from the Gardai and admitted it. No action taken, but I passed on a written letter of apology admitting that I was a complete asshole in the drama that followed my mistake. When more do that instead of claiming to be perfect or judging others on the road, we may get somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Why pursue it ? what good will it do ,It is clearly eating up the OP, move on forget about it.

No one was injured thankfully,no damage was done thankfully ,people lost the head ,it happens ,unfortunately.

I have come across many an agressive driver (as I am sure many on here have done ),if they want to get worked up let them .Whats the point in getting into a shouting match ....

Why pursue it? People lost the head?

One person lost the head in a big way (according to the OP's account) and I'd rather the Gardai or someone had a word with him before he loses the head with someone else (potentially my wife/elderly mother etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Hi Ripcord

Thanks for the pics which I suggested way back in the thread. Yes indeed you were in the right according to the Rules of the Road. The Taxi Driver was wrong.
    You blew the horn to avoid a collision and rightly so.

I hope you get the apologies you deserve on this thread, but I will warn you that this forum is great for having a go, but not so hot on owning up and admitting they got it arse over tit.

Cheers.
    Apologies?? We'll be ice skating in hell before that happens!! :D

Hi folks,

As I mentioned in a (quite) earlier post, i've already resolved this. I rang the taxi company owner, he apologised and admitted the taxi driver was in the wrong and shouldn't have done what he did.

My current annoyance (it's been a tough week!! :)) is the posters on here who made up the story themselves. Assumed what happened. Branded me as agressive, racing, road rager. (take paddylands post as a great example). That is not on.

Thankfully, the more sensible ones are talking now, suggesting about what should people do after these situations occur. This is really what I wanted to know in the first place.

Hey, does anyone remember this from my first post?
    ripcord wrote: »
    However, none of this is the issue. Guess what happened next! .

Funny how these threads unfold! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

DWCommuter wrote: »
    So blowing your horn is now an automatic way of initiating aggression? I must remember that the next time a car nearly collides with me.:rolleyes:
    ?

Agreed, going through Rathmines last week a D4 driver in an Audi SUV cut into my lane. I had to jam hard on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I tapped the horn as I was braking to warn him.

At the next set of lights I pulled up beside his SUV. He was holding his middle finger up at me. I was completely confused and asked him what was the problem. He turned my question back at me shouting what was my "focking" problem. I just said man you need to calm down and rolled my window back up. I've had enough arguments with complete tossers to realise they're pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

montane wrote: »
    Agreed, going through Rathmines last week a D4 driver in an Audi SUV cut into my lane. I had to jam hard on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I tapped the horn as I was braking to warn him.

At the next set of lights I pulled up beside his SUV. He was holding his middle finger up at me. I was completely confused and asked him what was the problem. He turned my question back at me shouting what was my "focking" problem. I just said man you need to calm down and rolled my window back up. I've had enough arguments with complete tossers to realise they're pointless.

Its interesting to note that this always happens to me after some dick has been in the wrong.

After many years of driving and making mistakes and owning up and learning from my stupidity, I'm still stunned that many here on this forum are devoid of basic road knowledge. I guess the RAB will always be an issue for "know it all Irish drivers". A great thread. It really highlighted how many still don't have a clue and aren't willing to admit it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Thanks for that, because I probably would have drove the same as the Taxi, going on the old rule, when did they change this, It was back in 87 i did my test . And i don't really watch TV especially adverts.

Sometimes the main road is not at 12 o'clock or straight on ,what do you do then, do you use right or left lane, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So you mean you were approaching the RAB from this direction?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.630055,87.1875&ie=UTF8&t=k&layer=c&cbll=53.282097,-9.038364&panoid=9Ra1yCTqBbdYmuNcNWkcqg&cbp=12,61.04,,0,3.17&ll=53.282181,-9.038221&spn=0.00094,0.00327&z=19

Now, not knowing Galway intimately :), I would assume that the majority of traffic would be turning 1st left onto the Sean Mulvoy Road, which would normaly cause congestion in the left hand lane, whereby the RoR does say that you may use the RHL on the approach, however from looking at the approach (regardless of RoR) the natural approach to that RAB would be IMO the RHL for the last two junctions. Upon closer inspection ( just for the pedants out there ) the actual map of the RAB the exit road isn't exactly at 12.00 but more like 1.00 when account is taken of the entry angle of the road to the RAB

Edited bit Also upon closer examination of the photographs I can see as a reasonably curteous driver that approaching in the RHL would allow people to exit from the garage on the left

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bohermore+galway&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.409448,107.138672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bohermore,+Galway,+County+Galway,+Ireland&ll=53.282284,-9.038033&spn=0.000933,0.00327&z=19

Please advise if I don't have the correct RAB or approach road from your descriptions

Spook_ie wrote: »

Yep, that's the one.
    Now, not knowing Galway intimately :), I would assume that the majority of traffic would be turning 1st left onto the Sean Mulvoy Road, which would normaly cause congestion in the left hand lane, whereby the RoR does say that you may use the RHL on the approach,

This is Galway. I would say there is congestion on both lanes. Please read the rules of the road again (on www.rotr.ie ). You may only use the right lane if:
    • the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    • when directed by a Garda.
    A bit of traffic does not consitute the lane being "blocked". God help us if it did...
    however from looking at the approach (regardless of RoR) the natural approach to that RAB would be IMO the RHL for the last two junctions.

Incredible! Now you are basing your opinions regardless of the rotr!!! :eek: And just doing whatever feels natural!! :eek: I really hope I never encounter you on the roads..
    Upon closer inspection ( just for the pedants out there ) the actual map of the RAB the exit road isn't exactly at 12.00 but more like 1.00 when account is taken of the entry angle of the road to the RAB

:pac: You're view on this is getting rapidly weaker! Talking about the "angle of approach" to a roundabout is getting desperate. Your own link even disproves you!! Look at the blue car (in the street view link) and draw a line from it through the center of the roundabout. Where do you end up?
    Also upon closer examination of the photographs I can see as a reasonably curteous driver that approaching in the RHL would allow people to exit from the garage on the left

Eh... in that link I don't see any driver approaching in the RHL. I see 6 cars AT the RAB - 4 in the LHL and 2 in the RHL.
    Even if that situation occured, that 'curteous' driver would be in the wrong lane! And he/she could make the same mistake the taxi did!! :rolleyes:

Again, thanks to those keeping the discussion going about what to do AFTER the incident. I'm getting weary trying to explain this stuff over and over again....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

I've seen them do all sorts of things, I remember once I was in a lane to turn right a taxi suddenly almost went into the side of me from the left lane, I couldn't even see if he was indicating cos all I could see was the side of his car trying to push into mine! I had to break quickly the guy and the back almost went into me cos of this foolish behaviour. Anyway I rarely see them using their indicators anyway they think they own the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

ciarak7511 wrote: »
    I've seen them do all sorts of things, I remember once I was in a lane to turn right a taxi suddenly almost went into the side of me from the left lane, I couldn't even see if he was indicating cos all I could see was the side of his car trying to push into mine! I had to break quickly the guy and the back almost went into me cos of this foolish behaviour. Anyway I rarely see them using their indicators anyway they think they own the roads.

Taxi drivers are the lowest form of humans, the have no manners and constantly complain.
    You did crap in school and got no 3rd level education and you are naturally an asshole then become a taxi driver...lifes failures...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Taxi drivers are the lowest form of humans, the have no manners and constantly complain.
    You did crap in school and got no 3rd level education and you are naturally an asshole then become a taxi driver...lifes failures...

Years ago only the rich kids got third level education (because it had to be paid for) and many poor families didn't even make 2nd level believe it or not. Just because you are a product of fairly prosperous generation does not give you the right to look down your nose at or abuse those who did not get the chance of third level education.
    I'm not a taxi driver by the way nor did i get to third level. I educated myself and did well in life. Less of the abuse please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Years ago only the rich kids got third level education (because it had to be paid for) and many poor families didn't even make 2nd level believe it or not. Just because you are a product of fairly prosperous generation does not give you the right to look down your nose at or abuse those who did not get the chance of third level education.
    I'm not a taxi driver by the way nor did i get to third level. I educated myself and did well in life. Less of the abuse please.

your right, I structured my rant wrong. It was solely directed at taxi drivers. it was not a dig at anyone else.. i was trying to point out the low level of people skills/education & and moronic temperement that taxi drivers have. In my old job we used to deal with a lot of taxi drivers and i can safely say that 99.9% of them are assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

ciarak7511 wrote: »
    your right, I structured my rant wrong. It was solely directed at taxi drivers. it was not a dig at anyone else.. i was trying to point out the low level of people skills/education & and moronic temperement that taxi drivers have. In my old job we used to deal with a lot of taxi drivers and i can safely say that 99.9% of them are assholes.

Lads, this is not a taxi-driver rant/bashing thread (and if it was, I'd lock it because they're pointless). Please either discuss the specifics of the situation at hand or your own experience of similar.

Thanks

Yep, that's the one.

This is Galway. I would say there is congestion on both lanes. Please read the rules of the road again (on www.rotr.ie ). You may only use the right lane if:
    • the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    • when directed by a Garda.
    A bit of traffic does not consitute the lane being "blocked". God help us if it did...

Incredible! Now you are basing your opinions regardless of the rotr!!! :eek: And just doing whatever feels natural!! :eek: I really hope I never encounter you on the roads..

:pac: You're view on this is getting rapidly weaker! Talking about the "angle of approach" to a roundabout is getting desperate. Your own link even disproves you!! Look at the blue car (in the street view link) and draw a line from it through the center of the roundabout. Where do you end up?

Eh... in that link I don't see any driver approaching in the RHL. I see 6 cars AT the RAB - 4 in the LHL and 2 in the RHL.
    Even if that situation occured, that 'curteous' driver would be in the wrong lane! And he/she could make the same mistake the taxi did!! :rolleyes:

Again, thanks to those keeping the discussion going about what to do AFTER the incident. I'm getting weary trying to explain this stuff over and over again....

Taken in order

1 A traffic jam for vehicles going left would constitute a blockage, God help the traffic flow if people didn't apply common sense

2 As stated is just an opinion based on years of safe and curteous driving, and a use of the RoR as a guideline rather than a gospel, which I think you'll find they are, as the RoR about RABs are not (AFAIK) enshrined in an SI, unlike other rules such as Yield/Stop signs. I think if you did encounter me on the roads you'd be pleasantly surprised by how I drive.

3 The angle of approach on the RAB is refering to the map not the view, and as stated is only in there for the pedants, the map clearly shows that when on the final approach to the RAB the exit is at 1.00
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.630055,87.1875&ie=UTF8&t=k&layer=c&cbll=53.282181,-9.03822&panoid=LRJPWV_-ImdRROWayG-0Kw&cbp=12,39.04,,0,2.66&ll=53.282098,-9.038363&spn=0.00094,0.00327&z=19
    Gives a better interpretation rather than drawing lines through cars

4 I didn't take the photograph, I merely look at the photo which shows exits from a garage and as a considerate driver if people were trying to exit the garage I would be curteous and allow them out by using the RHL.

5 I seldom get weary,if I do then I pull over and take a rest as the RoR says, however again I don't believe that taking a rest is enshrined in an SI but again relates to common sense, something that people who like to ridigly stick to guidelines seem to lack at times.

I also note ( seeing as you like the RoR and to quote them as being the gospel ) that roadrage does not cover people getting out of their car and remonstrating with you.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/accidents-gardai-and-penalties/what-not-to-do/road-rage.html

But as I said the RoR in most cases are a guideline as the driver clearly did exhibit roadrage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Taken in order

1 A traffic jam for vehicles going left would constitute a blockage, God help the traffic flow if people didn't apply common sense

2 As stated is just an opinion based on years of safe and curteous driving, and a use of the RoR as a guideline rather than a gospel, which I think you'll find they are, as the RoR about RABs are not (AFAIK) enshrined in an SI, unlike other rules such as Yield/Stop signs. I think if you did encounter me on the roads you'd be pleasantly surprised by how I drive.

3 The angle of approach on the RAB is refering to the map not the view, and as stated is only in there for the pedants, the map clearly shows that when on the final approach to the RAB the exit is at 1.00
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.630055,87.1875&ie=UTF8&t=k&layer=c&cbll=53.282181,-9.03822&panoid=LRJPWV_-ImdRROWayG-0Kw&cbp=12,39.04,,0,2.66&ll=53.282098,-9.038363&spn=0.00094,0.00327&z=19

4 I didn't take the photograph, I merely look at the photo which shows exits from a garage and as a considerate driver if people were trying to exit the garage I would be curteous and allow them out by using the RHL.

5 I seldom get weary,if I do then I pull over and take a rest as the RoR says, however again I don't believe that taking a rest is enshrined in an SI but again relates to common sense, something that people who like to ridigly stick to guidelines seem to lack at times.

I also note ( seeing as you like the RoR and to quote them as being the gospel ) that roadrage does not cover people getting out of their car and remonstrating with you.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/accidents-gardai-and-penalties/what-not-to-do/road-rage.html

But as I said the RoR in most cases are a guideline as the driver clearly did exhibit roadrage

Wow somebody doesnt like being proved wrong do they?

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Wow somebody doesnt like being proved wrong do they?

Who's been proven wrong? I've not stated anyone as being in the wrong, but I have stated that there may well be two people both believing they are right

Taken in order

1. Absolutley incorrect. Being stuck in traffic does not give you any right to pick and chose which lane you use. You queue like everyone else.

2. Take the ROTR as gospel or guideline if you like. Either way, the route the taxi driver took was wrong. And I'm sorry, but your comment about doing what is "natural" regardless of the ROTR makes me nervous about meeting you on the road.

3. Most people (except you obviously) would only apply the clock when they GET to the roundabout! :rolleyes: It's obvious, when you GET to the roundabout, you apply the clock, the exit is at 12. God help you if your roundabout entrace was on a sharp corner.

4. :eek: Unbelievable. As a 'considerate' driver, you should stay in the LHL and allow time and space for the drivers to pull out infront of you! If you move to RHL, you add traffic to the people who are actually turning right!! SURELY you can see this???

5. I was getting weary at typing this stuff - but you made it into a joke about me following the ROTR!! :pac::pac: Now you are REALLY grasping for support for your view! Or have you finally run out of ideas and won't admit the taxi driver was wrong??

6. It's pretty simple. I follow the ROTR. You don't. You do whatever feels 'natural' first and then go to the ROTR if you're really stuck. That leg you're standing on is starting to buckle.

I am getting tired of explaining this to you over and over again. Maybe I should just give up on you. But you're providing good entertainment now. I look forward to your response!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote: »

That's great! The colorful drawings make it easy to follow. Where were you Boston 20 posts ago!! :D:D

This should help those on here who still can't get their heads around it..

• Advertisement

Now I am really worried about you! You can't even judge angles!! :eek:
    The following has a straight line drawn from the center of the entrance you take, to the center of the exit you take. It even takes into account the "approach angle" which you like to do. :rolleyes:

Notice how the line is straight? Notice how it runs between the two lanes on the approach? Notice how it cuts through the center of the roundabout exactly? Notice how it runs directly into the back of the white truck at the top? It's a pretty perfect example of an exit at 12 o'clock!!

157051.jpg

How far back was this rule/guideline about the 12 straight ahead introduced.

Has this changed over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/better-driving-negotiating-roundabouts-by-numbers-152745.html

Its not all cut and dried yet on this argument as the above link shows.
    Still waiting for my friend in the R.S.A. to ring back with answer to my query.

On a big roundabout, with trees and such in the middle, you might not know where 12 is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Who's been proven wrong? I've not stated anyone as being in the wrong, but I have stated that there may well be two people both believing they are right

ehhh...you

That's great! The colorful drawings make it easy to follow. Where were you Boston 20 posts ago!! :D:D

This should help those on here who still can't get their heads around it..

Yeah rely on the English :)

BostonB wrote: »
    On a big roundabout, with trees and such in the middle, you might not know where 12 is.

Very true. In that case, it's a big mistake by the designers of the roundabout. Our roads are bad enough without making people have to guess whats coming up!

I can't remember when they changed it. I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger anouncment at the time. I'm curious to know if it's still being taught "the old way" by some driving instructors...

Yeah rely on the English :)

Oh please stop. It may be english.. but it matches our system perfectly.

Who should we rely on.. you?? :D
    What's time have you got now? 4:00? 5:00? :pac::pac:

Big roundabouts are very common in other countries. I've always felt that our roundabouts are usually far too small for the number of lanes on them, which is why we have this problem with exits.

We also have situations where bus lanes (or cycle lanes) start just as you exit a roundabout, forcing all left lane traffic into the right lane as you exit. We also have multi-lane exits off a roundabouts. We also have a habit of not matching the exit road lanes with the exit lanes on roundabouts. Crud like that.

• Advertisement

Jaysoose wrote: »
    ehhh...you

ehhh...no, only proven wrong if someone can provide a link to an SI that deals with RABs ( so far I haven't came up with one in a search of the SI database that deals with RABs ) there are plenty of SIs that would deal with the situation if there were any roadmarkings or signage but in a case like this without any roadmarkings or signage I can find zilch, therefore the RoR is onlyl an advisory document and not a legislative one with its regard to RABS, in which case neither of the drivers was "right" and neither was "wrong" in their approach to the RAB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement