Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Driver Behaviour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Complain to the regulator...they're actually quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you, from the information given there is no way to know who was in the correct lane, it is quite possible that they were both in a correct lane, several RABs in North Co Dublin have lane markings that indicate straight on in both lanes, one or two even go into a single lane at the exit of the RAB, so don't jump to conclusions.

At the moment the only thing the post quantifies is that the taxi driver over reacted to a blast on the horn

Try and remember that the rules of the road dont apply to taxi's and cyclists ( it feels that way ). It doesnt matter who was in the right or wrong lane, the taxi driver had a fit of road rage which he/she can be prosecuted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

I see no reason to accept your version above that of someone who hasn't posted, if you are so sure then post the location :)

If you have video evidence then even better, it would probably serve as corroberative evidence that in most cases would be acceptable to a Gard to act upon :)

OK - you HAVE to be a disgruntled taxi driver!! Or at least be close to someone who is. NOONE else would keep this up!!

Answer this - If I post a picture of the roundabout - would you accept my version of events? If so, why? You're still only taking my word for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ripcord wrote: »
    OK - you HAVE to be a disgruntled taxi driver!! Or at least be close to someone who is. NOONE else would keep this up!!

Answer this - If I post a picture of the roundabout - would you accept my version of events? If so, why? You're still only taking my word for it?

I just think that your reluctence to post the location, seems ( to me at least ) a little odd

Try and remember that the rules of the road dont apply to taxi's and cyclists ( it feels that way ). It doesnt matter who was in the right or wrong lane, the taxi driver had a fit of road rage which he/she can be prosecuted on.

Whatever gave you that idea, the RoR apply equally to taxi drivers as most other road users ( cyclists :eek: are the only ones who seem to be totaly exempt ), but I haven't disagreed the reaction of the taxi driver was OTT for a simple blast of the horn.

Worse fool I was - I rolled down the window.
    He said: "Why did you blow at me?".
    I said: "Because you cut me off at the roundabout".
    He said: "There's two other exits first. One going to XXX and one going to xxx. Learn to f@cking drive!".
    And then he stormed back to his car and drove off!

So was he one of the 3% in Donegal while the OP was one of the 63%?

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/02/25/road-rage-shock-for-donegal-were-most-likely-in-country-to-lose-temper/ :)

• Advertisement

I just think that your reluctence to post the location, seems ( to me at least ) a little odd

I think your insistence is very odd!! I've never seen a message on boards where someone has given their version of events, asked for advice, and then been asked to PROVE that's what happened!! I don't mind posting the location and a photo, but I don't have to so I won't :D. What good would a location photo of a roundabout be, when it just matches my description?

But you still haven't answered my question: Why would you believe me if I showed you the location?? When I've already given a description but you don't now?

Come on now. Admit it. You're annoyed and sick of all the bad rep taxi drivers get. You don't really care about this issue, your just defensive because people have criticised the taxi driver. So your'e grasping for as much 'proof' as possible, to give yourself the chance to poke holes in it... It's ok to admit it. We're all friends here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As far as i can see in the "Rules of the Road" the rule on roundabouts is that if you are taking either the 1st or 2nd exits you stay in the left lane and for any subsequent exit you stay in the right lane.
    That would put the OP in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

As far as i can see in the "Rules of the Road" the rule on roundabouts is that if you are taking either the 1st or 2nd exits you stay in the left lane and for any subsequent exit you stay in the right lane.

That's my understanding of it too.

Jesus this country is fecked! People still can't get it right, even though we've already established this in earlier posts! :eek:.

The rules say: if you are going left or straight ahead, you use the left lane. If going right, use the right lane.

In the current rules, they have removed all references to "first" or "second" exits. Check out the section on roundabouts at www.rotr.ie. It's made it more simple. Now people don't have to worry about roundabouts with 5 or 6 exits. Even the ads on the telly are saying this!! :) How are some people still getting it wrong????

Not if he was going straight on.

• Advertisement

Jesus this country is fecked! People still can't get it right, even though we've already established this in earlier posts! :eek:.

The rules say: if you are going left or straight ahead, you use the left lane. If going right, use the right lane.

In the current rules, they have removed all references to "first" or "second" exits. Check out the section on roundabouts at www.rotr.ie. It's made it more simple. Now people don't have to worry about roundabouts with 5 or 6 exits. Even the ads on the telly are saying this!! :) How are some people still getting it wrong????

I believe i'm still right. You stayed in the left lane too long and took the 3rd exit.By your reckoning its even ok to stay in the left if straight ahead is the 3rd or even 4th exit. Wrong.

Whatever gave you that idea, the RoR apply equally to taxi drivers as most other road users ( cyclists :eek: are the only ones who seem to be totaly exempt ), but I haven't disagreed the reaction of the taxi driver was OTT for a simple blast of the horn.

Whatever gave me that idea? Taxi's doing whatever they want anytime they want thats what and never seem to be in the wrong in their eyes.

On cyclists or rather an idiot on a bike, i saw one today just go straight through the red lights at phibsborough whilst cars was going in the other direction. It was like a cyclist version of the game Frogger.

I believe i'm still right. You stayed in the left lane too long and took the 3rd exit.By your reckoning its even ok to stay in the left if straight ahead is the 3rd or even 4th exit. Wrong.

Actually, RIGHT!! You nearly have it! :)

If your going straight on, it's the left lane. It doesn't matter whether straight on is the 3rd or 4th exit - it's still the left lane when you enter.

Try to forget about counting exits.
    Try the clock if it helps:
    Between 6 and 12 - left lane.
    12 o'clock - left lane.
    After 12 - right lane.

It's pretty easy! Again, check out www.rotr.ie

Actually, RIGHT!! You nearly have it! :)

If your going straight on, it's the left lane. It doesn't matter whether straight on is the 3rd or 4th exit - it's still the left lane when you enter.

Try to forget about counting exits.
    Try the clock if it helps:
    Between 6 and 12 - left lane.
    12 o'clock - left lane.
    After 12 - right lane.

It's pretty easy! Again, check out www.rotr.ie

That link only shows a roundabout with 4 exits and it showed the car in the left lane taking the 2nd exit, and going straight on which is correct. However you took the 3rd exit and i believe you were wrong regardless of it being straight on. You can only stay in the left lane for the first two. I will check it out with a friend in the R.S.A. tomorrow.

That link only shows a roundabout with 4 exits and it showed the car in the left lane taking the 2nd exit, and going straight on which is correct. However you took the 3rd exit and i believe you were wrong regardless of it being straight on. You can only stay in the left lane for the first two. I will check it out with a friend in the R.S.A. tomorrow.

Your friend should give the same answer as this RSA representative did.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67432646

Pretty self explanatory :).

I've learned some valuable lessons here.

It seems alot of people don't know the rules of the road. Also alot of people don't like taxi drivers ;). But most people are genuinely helpful.

But the most important lesson? Never mention roundabouts on boards.ie! :D
    This thread has followed like so many others, with people still arguing about rules that are written right in front of them! Just because they were taught differently years ago...

I'm outta here..peace out

:)

That seems to contradict what i said alright. However i would not like to be a stranger on a multi-exit roundabout on a busy day going by that rule and trying to figure out if my exit was at 1 or 2p.m.
    However it does prove your point but i will follow it up with my mate tomorrow.
    Well done for getting the link though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've never seen a message on boards where someone has given their version of events, asked for advice, and then been asked to PROVE that's what happened!!
    Welcome to boards.ie! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

But the most important lesson? Never mention roundabouts on boards.ie! :D

Never mention anything on Boards.ie. Its not worth the hassle.:D

Show us the RAB and we can decide for ourselves

• Advertisement

Yeah, show us the RAB then
    Dear **name**,

While it is impossible to give a definitive rule on position to be taken at Multi Exit Roundabouts due to their actual layout, size and amount of traffic lanes if any, however as a general rule if taking any Exit between the 8.00am to 1.00pm positions, motorists should approach in the Left Hand Lane, Road Position or as dictated by Road Markings.
    If taking any Exit from the 1.pm to 5.pm position motorists should approach in the Right Hand Lane or Position.

Your are correct on your understanding of the procedures to be adopted at Roundabouts in your email.

Your colleagues are not correct in their understanding that they base their approach on the number of exits only and not take into account the layout of the Exits at the Roundabouts.

The above guidelines are for reference only’.

I hope this is of help.

Kind regards,
    **name**
    Road Safety Authority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

The OP here appears to have his own anger issues, which are apparent from a) blowing the horn, b) needing to assert his 100% vindication in the argument instead of letting it go, c) demanding abject apologies and sympathy from the driver, the manager, the regulator, and anyone else who might care to listen, over what was a very minor incident, and d) prolonging this thread until he is vindicated 100%, days after the fact. That in no way exonerates the taxi driver, it is just my own independent observation of things.

I too would like to see the roundabout in question. The whole issue of roundabout procedure is far too vague in this country, and I don't buy the stated RSA line of 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock, etc. as everyone's interpretation of what 12 o'clock is and 1 o'clock is will likely be somewhat different. On reading this thread, my own instinct tells me that despite the RSA instruction, in this case I'd have been in the right lane, for the third exit, unless the OP would post the exact roundabout for me to make a better judgement. I would have to be aware however, just as the OP should have been, AND the taxi driver should have been, that the correct RSA procedure for the roundabout in question might be up for debate, and while the OP's version might be the one to stand up in a court of law, it is reasonable to guess that an adjacent driver might take a different interpretation of the correct procedure. In which case there should have been give and take, the most straightforward answer being for the car with the nose ahead to go forward, and the other car to fall in behind. It cost nobody anything to do that. That is why I find no favour with the OP's insistence on pushing forward and instigating a road rage incident, when there was room for both cars in what was a vague and ambiguous road arrangement.

When I am on the road, I assert my position when I know my right of way is 100% foolproof. But there are many instances, particularly on roundabouts, where it is not immediately clear which lane has precedence, and in which case you must make allowances for others, no matter how sure you think you are of your own position. Jamming yourself up against the side of someone else, or racing them, is just childish, as is blowing the horn when you feel you lost the battle. I don't buy that this roundabout gave every driver involved absolute guidance as to which lane was which. In such a case, the road authorities are at fault, for not marking the road clearer, and giving specific designation to the rights of way, instead of leaving a vague expanse of tarmac, for everyone else to figure it out as best they can, and ending up in road rage, or worse, accidents.

Please show us the roundabout. Not for us to undermine your argument, OP, but to see if we can make a point as to why roundabout design is so poor, and how it might be better appointed to avoid these situations. I buy the fact the taxi driver should not have reacted how he did. I just don't buy the reason for the occurence of the whole thing in the first place.

paddyland wrote: »
    The OP here appears to have his own anger issues, which are apparent from a) blowing the horn, b) needing to assert his 100% vindication in the argument instead of letting it go, c) demanding abject apologies and sympathy from the driver, the manager, the regulator, and anyone else who might care to listen, over what was a very minor incident, and d) prolonging this thread until he is vindicated 100%, days after the fact. That in no way exonerates the taxi driver, it is just my own independent observation of things.

I too would like to see the roundabout in question. The whole issue of roundabout procedure is far too vague in this country, and I don't buy the stated RSA line of 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock, etc. as everyone's interpretation of what 12 o'clock is and 1 o'clock is will likely be somewhat different. On reading this thread, my own instinct tells me that despite the RSA instruction, in this case I'd have been in the right lane, for the third exit, unless the OP would post the exact roundabout for me to make a better judgement. I would have to be aware however, just as the OP should have been, AND the taxi driver should have been, that the correct RSA procedure for the roundabout in question might be up for debate, and while the OP's version might be the one to stand up in a court of law, it is reasonable to guess that an adjacent driver might take a different interpretation of the correct procedure. In which case there should have been give and take, the most straightforward answer being for the car with the nose ahead to go forward, and the other car to fall in behind. It cost nobody anything to do that. That is why I find no favour with the OP's insistence on pushing forward and instigating a road rage incident, when there was room for both cars in what was a vague and ambiguous road arrangement.

When I am on the road, I assert my position when I know my right of way is 100% foolproof. But there are many instances, particularly on roundabouts, where it is not immediately clear which lane has precedence, and in which case you must make allowances for others, no matter how sure you think you are of your own position. Jamming yourself up against the side of someone else, or racing them, is just childish, as is blowing the horn when you feel you lost the battle. I don't buy that this roundabout gave every driver involved absolute guidance as to which lane was which. In such a case, the road authorities are at fault, for not marking the road clearer, and giving specific designation to the rights of way, instead of leaving a vague expanse of tarmac, for everyone else to figure it out as best they can, and ending up in road rage, or worse, accidents.

Please show us the roundabout. Not for us to undermine your argument, OP, but to see if we can make a point as to why roundabout design is so poor, and how it might be better appointed to avoid these situations. I buy the fact the taxi driver should not have reacted how he did. I just don't buy the reason for the occurence of the whole thing in the first place.

Couldn't have put it better myself

So here it is. Roundabout is on the tuam road, Galway (between bohermore and lisboan).
    I'm in yellow, Taxi driver in red.

156992.jpg

There are two lanes when we enter the roundabout - only one lane on the exit.
    There are no road markings to indicate which lane to take.
    Noone could argue that our exit is not at 12 o'clock.
    According to the rules of the road, I am in the correct lane.
    I was not 'racing' around it - I don't do that.
    I did not blow my horn out of agression - I blew it to tell the taxi driver I was there and avoid the collision.
    Actually, it was due to the fact that I blew my horn and I was alert that I avoided the collision.
    I was confident the taxi driver was taking the right exit (or 'fourth exit' to those who still think like that).
    The taxi driver decided to indicate just AFTER he started making his move (helpful).
    I am an excellent driver - but I cannot predict the future.

I actually can't believe I'm having to do this. The funny thing is, at the start, I only wanted advice on what do to about the taxi driver!

Please do not make anymore assumption about what happened or how I reacted. Everything I have said above is 100% correct. I honestly feel Spook and tayto are on some hidden agenda to make protect the taxi driver in whatever way they can.

I am only doing this because I only asked for friendly advice, and now my word is begin dragged down in a disgraceful manner. If you have anymore questions about the incident I will answer them (although I don't know what else I can say).

No more assumptions about what happened please, questions only.

And here is where the taxi driver stopped. In the middle of the road. Blocking me, and the traffic try to take that exit. Gets out, and agressivley gives out to me.

156994.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

@everyone - please let's keep this thread to the facts as presented. No more of the psychoanalysis or "filling in the blanks" please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Unfotunately it comes with the terrority that when you drive a car ,you come across road rage,bad driving,rudeness and stupidity.

What happens to SOME people when they get behind the wheel can be mindboggleing.They turn into some kind of dreaded monster....

@OP reagrdless of who was right, or who was wrong.personally I would have forgotten about the whole incident 5 minutes after it happened.

Whats the point in getting all upset annoyed ,frustrated over something that really is irrelevant ,pointless and a waste of energy.

Why you took it upon yourself to phone the radio company the driver rents a radio from is bizzare as is you wanting to contact the Taxi Regulator .

Firstly hes an independent driver, doesn't not work for anyone but himself and only rents a radio off some radio company.

As someone said above they (the company )have no control over their drivers driving and most couldnt care less as long as they get their base money from drivers at the end of the week .

As for contacting the TR,you wern't a passenger in his car so it is pointless contacting them .IF you were a passenger and he ripped you off,was discourteous to you or whatever, then, MAYBE you might have justification for complaining to the TR,but to do so because of his driving ? Come on now....

Bottom line is this ,what happened happened ,drivers got a little heated with each other (it shouldnt have happened),let it go,forget about it.

If it were me I would have forgotton about the whole situation 5 minutes after it happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Firstly hes an independent driver, doesn't not work for anyone but himself and only rents a radio off some radio company.

As someone said above they (the company )have no control over their drivers driving and most couldnt care less as long as they get their base money from drivers at the end of the week .

As for contacting the TR,you wern't a passenger in his car so it is pointless contacting them .IF you were a passenger and he ripped you off,was discourteous to you or whatever, then, MAYBE you might have justification for complaining to the TR,but to do so because of his driving ? Come on now....

Taking the above into account, what would you suggest the correct line of action is when confronted by an obviously over-aggressive driver like the OP encountered?

IMHO, if they reacted as described, they're imbalanced and a danger to other drivers at best.

So if the radio company don't care, and the taxi regulator doesn't care, should the Gardai care? What's the best option for pursuing this without resorting to getting out of your car and matching aggression with aggression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Hi Ripcord

Thanks for the pics which I suggested way back in the thread. Yes indeed you were in the right according to the Rules of the Road. The Taxi Driver was wrong.
    You blew the horn to avoid a collision and rightly so.

I hope you get the apologies you deserve on this thread, but I will warn you that this forum is great for having a go, but not so hot on owning up and admitting they got it arse over tit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

-Chris- wrote: »
    Taking the above into account, what would you suggest the correct line of action is when confronted by an obviously over-aggressive driver like the OP encountered?

IMHO, if they reacted as described, they're imbalanced and a danger to other drivers at best.

So if the radio company don't care, and the taxi regulator doesn't care, should the Gardai care? What's the best option for pursuing this without resorting to getting out of your car and matching aggression with aggression?

Why pursue it ? what good will it do ,It is clearly eating up the OP, move on forget about it.

No one was injured thankfully,no damage was done thankfully ,people lost the head ,it happens ,unfortunately.

I have come across many an agressive driver (as I am sure many on here have done ),if they want to get worked up let them .Whats the point in getting into a shouting match ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement