Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants who refuse offers of work will have payments cut

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Clareboy wrote: »
    The point that I am making is that some people are always on about ' our lavish welfare payments', but none of those people actually have to live on welfare. I have worked all my life until recently. I started working when I was 15 years of age - I am in my 50s now, so I have contributed to this country.
    Our social welfare system is skewed towards rewarding the life long dole scroungers as benefits increase the longer you've been out of work. We should have a sliding scale of payments as other countries do, where someone who has paid PRSI gets a higher rate at the start of unemployment which gradually decreases. Someone who has never contributed to this society or worked a day in their life gets free housing, free medical care, the dole and endless streams of social workers. Someone who has worked all their life and becomes unemployed, who might have saved a small bit or has a mortgage, is grudgingly handed 200 euro a month and told they're on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

dan_d wrote: »
    I've never been asked by SW to prove I'm looking for work:confused:
    I've been on SW and i've had to join fas before applying for sw and been called in to show proof i'm looking for work - i.e bring along copies of jobs you've applied for. I know other people who've had to do the same.
    I have to prove it every month to the insurance company covering my mortgage payments alright - all the paperwork, of any company I might have had any contact with at all during the month, no matter how slight. But not SW.

In theory, you have to. In practice...well, as far as I can see, nobody's checking. I happen to be someone who is frantically looking (and wishing) that I had a job and spending every day trying to come up with some solution to the situation I'm in. (no joy yet, by the way!). But if you're not that kind of person, as far as I can see, nobody's looking. Mind you, if they did come looking, I'd be charging them for the large quantity of paper and ink it would require for me to print out all the emails, applications and rejection emails (and photocopy the rejection letters that came in the post) that I've got since I was made unemployed last year. Someone on another thread used the phrase "I could paper a room with rejection letters." Well, ditto.

I still can't believe anyone would turn a job offer down after a long time on the dole.
    Maybe because there are so many more people signing on now they arent as stringent. That was just my experience.
    Hope you have some luck soon btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tanzi

caseyann wrote: »
    You said you were a single parent.

If it was way to much money for you and your partner and daughter why didn't you hand it back,and tell them you didn't need that much.I am sure they would obliged you by cutting it down.
    I know a girl who did just that with her payments.

i said I used to be a single parent, until I moved in with my now partner!
    I am not on the dole any more, work 39hrs a week.
    Regarding turning down money, I would prefer give it to people who really need it if I could go back!. We have an amazing quality of life here, be it on SW or working. I would be more into giving it to charity, or saving for my daughters college fund to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Tanzi wrote: »
    i said I used to be a single parent, until I moved in with my now partner!
    I am not on the dole any more, work 39hrs a week.
    Regarding turning down money, I would prefer give it to people who really need it if I could go back!. We have an amazing quality of life here, be it on SW or working. I would be more into giving it to charity, or saving for my daughters college fund to be honest.

And how did you find it when a single parent?

Congratulations on new job and moving in with your now partner.

Yes we have that.

The part i highlighted,most here would attack you for having that extra for saving.
    I have never met a genuine single parent who can afford luxury of any sort never mind savings on their social welfare.
    The ones i do know who go on holidays usually parents help them do it.Or they have saved 10 euro a week with credit union.
    The biggest barricade would you agree to single parents and even parents on low income is child minding to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tanzi

caseyann wrote: »
    And how did you find it when a single parent?

Congratulations on new job and moving in with your now partner.

Yes we have that.

The part i highlighted,most here would attack you for having that extra for saving.
    I have never met a genuine single parent who can afford luxury of any sort never mind savings on their social welfare.
    The ones i do know who go on holidays usually parents help them do it.Or they have saved 10 euro a week with credit union.
    The biggest barricade would you agree to single parents and even parents on low income is child minding to get a job.

When I was a single parent I was in uni, my daughter was in school, child minding I payed for after, I didn't save anything when I was a SP. I moved in with my partner when I finished uni, he was still a student so I came off SP and went on job-seekers, this add's something around an extra €120 to what I was getting on SP before. I'm not a big spender or need much to be honest, so the extra that most people might have a few pints with, or treat themselves with some clothes every now and again, I just saved it. (not the whole €120 though, obviously living expenses went up with an extra person). Also SP can easily work if they want, they just go from SP to FIS, it means your wage is supplemented so that you can have a larger income with work and social welfare combined to that what you would get just on SP. I was a SP & a teen mum for years, I still managed to get a very good Leaving cert, a higher degree and a job... I think some people use it as a handicap, but it's not unless you let it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Reading through the pages on this thread I'm having a severe case of deja vu. It's the 1980's again, when I left school and was shoved onto stupid AnCo courses. I got a job by literally getting on my bike and finding the job. It was factory work, not my life's ambition, but the pay was good and I stuck with it for almost 20 years. Now unemployed again, I've done a couple of courses at my own expense, but no vacancies. Fortunately I don't have kids or a mortgage, but there's only so much you can do around the house. Reading the FAS conditions for CE would drive you to despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Tanzi wrote: »
    When I was a single parent I was in uni, my daughter was in school, child minding I payed for after, I didn't save anything when I was a SP. I moved in with my partner when I finished uni, he was still a student so I came off SP and went on job-seekers, this add's something around an extra €120 to what I was getting on SP before. I'm not a big spender or need much to be honest, so the extra that most people might have a few pints with, or treat themselves with some clothes every now and again,I just saved it. (not the whole €120 though, obviously living expenses went up with an extra person). Also SP can easily work if they want, they just go from SP to FIS, it means your wage is supplemented so that you can have a larger income with work and social welfare combined to that what you would get just on SP. I was a SP & a teen mum for years, I still managed to get a very good Leaving cert, a higher degree and a job... I think some people use it as a handicap, but it's not unless you let it be.
    Fair play to you and i assume your parents for helping you while being a teen mom? Its a hard thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

later10 wrote: »
    At the height of the boom in Ireland there was almost full employment, having gone to 22,000 long term unemployed at one stage during the boom. That figure is now about 154,000 for long term unemployed.

The overall unemployment figure according to the QNHS was about 70,000 during one stage of the boom, the lowest rate in Europe, compared with about 300,000 unemployed today, one of the highest rates in Europe.

This tells us that unless a sudden bout of laziness has come upon the state, the ability and the desire to work does exist, the problem is one of job availability.
    But there was drugs mentioned! Is it not time to call Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

Did the government start taxing full-stops and capital letters?

That's really hard to read and I hope you don't write CVs like that. If you like, I could highlight the bad spelling and grammar as well as it might help you get a job in the future. CVs that are poorly written tend to get chucked in the bin without even being looked at by potential bosses.

no i dont write cvs like that this is not a cv its a public board thanks for pointing out that i am **** at spelling like i did not all ready know that and insulting someone because of that fact is really childish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

slim1919 wrote: »
    no i dont write cvs like that this is not a cv its a public board thanks for pointing out that i am **** at spelling like i did not all ready know that and insulting someone because of that fact is really childish

I'm not trying to be insulting. I just saw that you were looking for work and not having any luck. I was just pointing out that there are a few things that you can do to increase your chances. Full stops and capital letters, for example.

Also, it's rude and inconsiderate of you to type like that. Even After Hours wouldn't put up with it. Read back over what you wrote and see for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

slim1919 wrote: »
    I am really doubtful he was having a go at you, just pointing out a fact. Good punctuation and grammar, like anything else, comes from practice. If you don't practice when you don't feel it's important then you'll never get very good at it, and at some point you may ruin your chance at a job because you missed something on your CV. Whether that something was a typo or just worded awkwardly. Writing is incredibly important for everyone, because it's usually the first mode of contact between you and a prospective employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

fair enough i will try and work on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

kerash wrote: »
    I've been on SW and i've had to join fas before applying for sw and been called in to show proof i'm looking for work - i.e bring along copies of jobs you've applied for. I know other people who've had to do the same.
    Maybe because there are so many more people signing on now they arent as stringent. That was just my experience.
    Hope you have some luck soon btw.

Hmm. Well, now you've supposedly to be on the dole 30 days before joining FAS now. Anyway, I've signed on with them ages ago. Had minimal contact to be honest - had one interview with them about what my "plans" are :rolleyes::rolleyes:...and that was it. They've said to me a few times they can't do anything for me, in that I've got qualifications, and there's not much else they can offer me - they basically left it at "you know where we are if you need anything". Nobody's come near me otherwise.

Thanks for your wishes btw:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The reality is that most unemployed people in their 50s are unemployable.
    From Dec 2008 to Dec 2010, people in the 45-59 age bracket experienced the lowest % increase in unemployment compared to all other age groups, the largest increase being in the 15-24 age group. You might think you’re unemployable, but you have decades of experience, which puts you in a far, far better position than a recent school-leaver or graduate.
    Ageism is a big problem is this country and there is also a widespread anti male attitude among employers.
    Anti-male attitude? Are you serious?

dan_d wrote: »
    Hmm. Well, now you've supposedly to be on the dole 30 days before joining FAS now. Anyway, I've signed on with them ages ago. Had minimal contact to be honest - had one interview with them about what my "plans" are :rolleyes::rolleyes:...and that was it.
    To be fair, there’s little FÁS can do for those who already have third-level qualifications – that’s not really what they’re there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I know, but the system that's out there is a one-size-fits-all and you still get forced to go to FAS. It's a paper pushing exercise if ever I saw one. Nobody's willing to change or think about it either...it's just what they've always done so they'll keep doing it.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

djpbarry wrote: »
    From Dec 2008 to Dec 2010, people in the 45-59 age bracket experienced the lowest % increase in unemployment compared to all other age groups, the largest increase being in the 15-24 age group. You might think you’re unemployable, but you have decades of experience, which puts you in a far, far better position than a recent school-leaver or graduate.
    Anti-male attitude? Are you serious?

Irish employers have no interest in employing people with experience. They would rather take on young people or non Irish nationals who will work for small wages, will not demand their rights or stand up for themselves and will not start any trouble like joining a trade union or upsetting the apple cart.

Have a walk around your local town and look around any supermarket, shop, library, restaurant, bar or hotel. How many middle aged males will you see working in those establishments? Not many I would say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

To be fair, there’s little FÁS can do for those who already have third-level qualifications – that’s not really what they’re there for.
    Gulp.

Irish employers have no interest in employing people with experience. They would rather take on young people or non Irish nationals who will work for small wages...
    So why is unemployment highest among young people?
    Have a walk around your local town and look around any supermarket, shop, library, restaurant, bar or hotel. How many middle aged males will you see working in those establishments? Not many I would say!
    How many middle-aged males are actively seeking employment in such establishments (in junior roles)? Not many I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Savage Opress

It seems that there is a lot of dislike and animosity for those people who are unemployed for a lengthy period of time.
    I wonder, of the people who have posted negative comments towards the unemployed,how many of you know what it is actually like to be out of work for a lengthy period of time

I was working in the construction industry for many years,in England and Ireland (i returned during the Celtic tiger boom).

I have tried and tried to find work,after 7 months growing more and more depressed about being unemployed,I applied for and completed a 2 year diploma course in IT studies,I vividly remember walking up to collect my diploma(with a whole bunch of distinctions,i might add :)),i felt like king Kong,i had a new direction,new hope,i had a purpose,there was meaning to my life again,sorry if that sounds corny.

After the course it was back on the dole,i told myself,this is only short term,with my new qualifications I'll find work in no time at all,what a fool i was,I've been for the interviews,I've had that "up and down" look you get when you walk into the interview room before you are interviewed by someone who is going to make damn sure he or she is not going to hire someone who may take their job in five years.

How many rejections and refusals does it take before you throw in the towel and go through the "whats the f**king point" stage until you get your third,fourth or even fifth wind and try to pull yourself out of this socially debilitating situation AGAIN.

To those people who posts negative and sometimes hateful comments about he long term unemployed i say this... Count yourselves damn lucky to be working and pray you never know what "this"feels like.
    With the European and world economies being the way the are,you may be one of us sooner than you think.

To the civil servants out there, who abuse the power that comes with your job to inflict unnecessary suffering on those who are already suffering,you will be remembered, and the favour will be returned in kind.

To the miserable fraction of a man who interviewed me two weeks ago,i say,i am everything you are not and never will be,and hopefully i will see YOU standing in a dole queue someday soon.

Here's a quote for all those long term unemployed.

Until you are broken, you
    don't know what you are made of.
    Fall, but Rise. Break, but never crumble. True strength.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

I have tried and tried to find work,after 7 months growing more and more depressed about being unemployed,I applied for and completed a 2 year diploma course in IT studies,I vividly remember walking up to collect my diploma(with a whole bunch of distinctions,i might add :)),i felt like king Kong,i had a new direction,new hope,i had a purpose,there was meaning to my life again,sorry if that sounds corny.

After the course it was back on the dole,i told myself,this is only short term,with my new qualifications I'll find work in no time at all,what a fool i was,I've been for the interviews,I've had that "up and down" look you get when you walk into the interview room before you are interviewed by someone who is going to make damn sure he or she is not going to hire someone who may take their job in five years.

To the miserable fraction of a man who interviewed me two weeks ago,i say,i am everything you are not and never will be,and hopefully i will see YOU standing in a dole queue someday soon.

It can be very hard to get a job in IT without a degree and work experience. If you really want to continue with a career in IT you should do at least one more year, and preferably two more for an honours degree. It would also be a good idea to choose a course with a work placement element.

It's very unlikely that anyone interviewing you is in fear of you replacing them in 5 years; it's much more likely that they will want to have further progressed themselves in 5 years and that you will have reached their level.

Good luck.

...I've had that "up and down" look you get when you walk into the interview room before you are interviewed by someone who is going to make damn sure he or she is not going to hire someone who may take their job in five years.
    Rest assured that a recruiter with that kind of an attitude is not going to last very long in their position.
    How many rejections and refusals does it take before you throw in the towel and go through the "whats the f**king point" stage until you get your third,fourth or even fifth wind and try to pull yourself out of this socially debilitating situation AGAIN.
    You’ve answered your own question there – you have to keep going. I was unemployed for a while after graduating from university and I was pretty depressed about it. I remember when it became clear that I was going to struggle to find a job related to my degree, I decided I needed to try and find something just to keep me ticking over. I remember going back to two of the Dunnes Stores branches I had previously worked in (which involved swallowing a lot of pride) only to be told they had no positions free that summer – I don’t think I’ve ever been so depressed and I was certainly questioning why I had bothered spending four years getting a degree.

But, I soldiered on. Because I had to. A few months later I got a minimum wage job temping in offices and about 18 months after that, I managed to get a job I actually wanted to do. I haven’t looked back since.

Now, please stop assuming that anyone who criticises long-term unemployed people has never been unemployed themselves. Secondly, the criticism is aimed not at you, but at those who are quite happy to sit on benefits for the rest of their lives. I know of people who haven’t worked for years and have never made any attempt whatsoever to get themselves back into the labour force – as far as they’re concerned, they’re entitled to claim welfare indefinitely until a well-paid job lands in their lap. Those people are deserving of every bit of scorn and criticism that comes their way.

EDIT: I should have finished by saying good luck with your job search. Don't give up - you'll get there eventually.

murraykil wrote: »
    It can be very hard to get a job in IT without a degree and work experience. If you really want to continue with a career in IT you should do at least one more year, and preferably two more for an honours degree.
    Not necessarily - employers want to see demonstrable skills and knowledge. Working on your own projects in your own time is a great way to do this.

Not necessarily - employers want to see demonstrable skills and knowledge. Working on your own projects in your own time is a great way to do this.

This is true but in companies where HR whittle down the cv's before passing them on to the tech guys for interview candidates there may be little chance to demonstrate skills.

However, mobiles apps are an ideal solution for the OP; it's a great way to work on his own and add an in demand skill to his cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Savage Opress

murraykil wrote: »
    This is true but in companies where HR whittle down the cv's before passing them on to the tech guys for interview candidates there may be little chance to demonstrate skills.

However, mobiles apps are an ideal solution for the OP; it's a great way to work on his own and add an in demand skill to his cv.

Thats a coincidence,just saw a FAS course.. Mobile Technology and Android apps.
    Could be interesting,any advice relating to this would be well appreciated

I don't know about that course but I think it would be a great thing for you to do. I expect it would help your job prospects as just like companies needed a website years ago and web developers were in high demand, it's similar for mobile apps now. If nothing else, you can start making your own apps and hopefully start selling in the market place!

Advertisement