Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Another similar question. I ran 1:48 in the half in Dublin. I was thinking of going with the 4 hour pacers. Is this a bit too ambitious or do you think I'll be safe enough?

I was 1.48 and 3.58 last year, so I'd say go for it

Running around 2/3 years and have completed 2 half marathons including the park this month. I am following Hal Novice 1 but have missed at least one short run each week...
    Are the missed short runs going to hurt me?

The short runs in the Novice 1 are mainly for recovery. They are valuable, but missing them is not going to stop you finishing. If you are still running okay on your long runs, that's a good sign.

justdoit wrote: »
    I've taken that on board and am trying to train sensibly etc, but in my head I am still aiming for sub 4, and would dearly love to do 3h45.
    Training has been mixed, and the furthest I have run is 30km, but that was during a duathlon, so was 20km, with a cycle in the middle, and then a final 10km. ...
    For what it's worth, my best 10km time is 43m, my best (only) HM is 1h44 and my 10km splits in the duathlon were 55m, 54m and a very slow 1h5.

Apart from the duathlon, what have been your other longest runs? How far do you run in a typical week?
    Based on the half-marathon time, 3.45 would be too fast for you. 4.00 should be okay, but if you haven't been getting enough long runs in you might not have the endurance to maintain the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 gavyd

Hi there I'm new to posting on this thread although I have been reading it for ages.

I am planning and training for Dublin marathon this year and have really hit a "wall" my training since the half marathon (1.57) which I was quite happy with but since the 1/2 marathon any little niggle wrong and I'm getting an urge to pack it in.

Im running HH training programe and took last week as a rest week and giving it a go again this week, I am planning on ramping back up doing a 3-6-3-10 this week so I actually enjoy running again and next week throwing myself back into the HH programe where I should be.

Is this a terrible idea? I feel like I need serious encouragmet at this point to get through to oct 31!

gavyd wrote: »
    I am planning and training for Dublin marathon this year and have really hit a "wall" my training since the half marathon (1.57) which I was quite happy with but since the 1/2 marathon any little niggle wrong and I'm getting an urge to pack it in.

Injured, tired, or just lost motivation?
    how long have you been running? Why did you decide to run Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 gavyd

RayCun wrote: »
    gavyd wrote: »

Injured, tired, or just lost motivation?
    how long have you been running? Why did you decide to run Dublin?

Hi ray been running on and off for 3 years and have done 2 x half marathon 3 x ten mile and a bunch of 5's. This time initially I reckon tiredness now I think motivation... Decedided on dublin for the challenge and to take it further than the 1/2, Maybe I need a councelor :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No, what is stripping?

If you go for a sports massage they'll use a technique over the ITB to help lenghten and loosen it out. A couple of treatments should be effective.

It's very painful though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Your half marathon time is pretty fast compared to your planned marathon time - Macmillan is giving a 3.30 marathon based on that, and so the training paces are all for a 3.30 marathon.
    But if you're having trouble every time you go over 2 hours, and your last marathon was well over 4, you really don't have the endurance for a 3.30 marathon.
    Yea, point taken. But I was ill prepared for the last full, and given that it was Connemarathon...well the Hell of the West speaks for itself.
    I'll try backing off the pace a bit on the LSR this weekend and see how I feel.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

.It's very painful though. :)

No pain no gain, it got me through training last year! It's not that bad.

BTW you should all be booking a sports massage for the first week of taper with a good physio or sports therapist, preferably one that runs themselves.It will loosen up your legs after all the training and highlight areas where you need to pay more attention when stretching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Mr Slow wrote: »
    No pain no gain, it got me through training last year! It's not that bad.

BTW you should all be booking a sports massage for the first week of taper with a good physio or sports therapist, preferably one that runs themselves.It will loosen up your legs after all the training and highlight areas where you need to pay more attention when stretching etc.

Actually I disagree with that. If you're not used to sports massages then adding something new in shortly before the marathon is asking for trouble. If you've managed 3-4 months of training without one you'll survive the taper too.

Getting one the day after the marathon for recovery purposes on the other hand is worth doing.

• Advertisement

If you go for a sports massage they'll use a technique over the ITB to help lenghten and loosen it out. A couple of treatments should be effective.

It's very painful though. :)

And at best it only provides symptomatic relief which is good if you're just trying to get through the next few weeks.

IMO you're better off thinking long term and working on the causes of the ITB with a physio. Weak/tight hip flexors and core strength + poor balance (all related) are my issues but they're probably different for you. A good physio will be able to work out what an individual needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Clearlier wrote: »
    And at best it only provides symptomatic relief which is good if you're just trying to get through the next few weeks.

IMO you're better off thinking long term and working on the causes of the ITB with a physio. Weak/tight hip flexors and core strength + poor balance (all related) are my issues but they're probably different for you. A good physio will be able to work out what an individual needs.

Having the same sort or problems myself the last week. Have had some painful physio sessions and some failed attempts at getting running again. Resting and icing at the moment in the hope to get back running properly at the weekend.

From experience is this something I may have to manage and deal with for the last few weeks or can it clear with rest bearing in mind time for rest is limited with only 4+ weeks to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

So it looks like I'll be moving house next weekend and with all that that entails, I am unlikely to be able/willing to do my last LSR. I was thinking of doing it this weekend instead (20-22 miles). Would it be OK to do that and start tapering from Monday i.e. do a 14/15 miles LSR next weekend and then down to 12 the week after ?

Actually I disagree with that. If you're not used to sports massages then adding something new in shortly before the marathon is asking for trouble. If you've managed 3-4 months of training without one you'll survive the taper too.

Getting one the day after the marathon for recovery purposes on the other hand is worth doing.

I'd be working on the basis that 'prevention is better than cure'. Do you not think that having someone work out any knots you may have developed over the course of training would be beneficial in lessening the chances that your calves may lock up to give an example.

I'd be working on the basis that 'prevention is better than cure'. Do you not think that having someone work out any knots you may have developed over the course of training would be beneficial in lessening the chances that your calves may lock up to give an example.

Absolutely but if it's prevention you're after why wait until the taper?

So it looks like I'll be moving house next weekend and with all that that entails, I am unlikely to be able/willing to do my last LSR. I was thinking of doing it this weekend instead (20-22 miles). Would it be OK to do that and start tapering from Monday i.e. do a 14/15 miles LSR next weekend and then down to 12 the week after ?

It's fine to do your longest run a week early, but you don't need to start tapering right after it. If you can only do 14/15 miles next weekend, that's okay, but you can do the same the week after.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Having the same sort or problems myself the last week. Have had some painful physio sessions and some failed attempts at getting running again. Resting and icing at the moment in the hope to get back running properly at the weekend.

From experience is this something I may have to manage and deal with for the last few weeks or can it clear with rest bearing in mind time for rest is limited with only 4+ weeks to go

Maybe, maybe not - I really don't know and even if you were in front of me I couldn't tell you either. What did your physio say? Curious to know what you're icing?

Absolutely but if it's prevention you're after why wait until the taper?

Mileage is down, I've had a few brutal sessions and running 10/15/20 miles the next few days was not pleasant, plus all the kinks are ironed out and it's unlikely as the mileage decreases that you'll replace the removed knots with new ones.

I had a massage last year when I started tapering, about two weeks before the marathon. I felt that it helped, my legs were pretty tired and stiff from all the built up miles, and were much more relaxed afterwards. But I'm glad I got it done so early, because my legs felt odd - in a good way, but still odd - for about a week afterwards. I'd have been worried if I felt like that the day before the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

better off thinking long term and working on the causes of the ITB with a physio. Weak/tight hip flexors and core strength + poor balance (all related)

I had ITB issues last year especially at the end of the training for DCM, i had a few good sports rubs and they helped the problem.
    this year when the mileage started increasing i got the same issues. i had 2 rubs and now they are perfect. Since starting training this year i am also doing kettle bells which is great for the core and i can really feel the difference and even when im tired in my LSR i don't flop/sit down into myself but pull in the core and keep good posture and as a result my ITB has not flared up in 4 - 6 weeks

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »

I had ITB issues last year especially at the end of the training for DCM, i had a few good sports rubs and they helped the problem.
    this year when the mileage started increasing i got the same issues. i had 2 rubs and now they are perfect. Since starting training this year i am also doing kettle bells which is great for the core and i can really feel the difference and even when im tired in my LSR i don't flop/sit down into myself but pull in the core and keep good posture and as a result my ITB has not flared up in 4 - 6 weeks

Have you tried the Grid Roller?

Have you tried the Grid Roller?

Have used foam roller, must get back to using it, but never heard of grid roller?? More info please:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Couple of things I've picked up in the last few weeks, I'm finding swimming on a Monday help my legs after my big Sunday run, no need for any hard cardio swimming just a light few lenghts of the pool, and feel totally relaxed after.

I've also started taking a rest day on Saturday before my Sunday run really helps my performance, where before I was going out for 4 - 5k on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Maybe, maybe not - I really don't know and even if you were in front of me I couldn't tell you either. What did your physio say? Curious to know what you're icing?

Pain is around the knee area so am icing there to reduce any inflammation that may be in that area and also around the hip area which seems to be triggering the pain.

Physio has really left it up to me regarding running i.e. try it out and see how it is.

Have used foam roller, must get back to using it, but never heard of grid roller?? More info please:D

Foam rollers are for wimps ;)

The Grid, I haven't had any IT Band issues since I got one!

Foam rollers are for wimps ;)

The Grid, I haven't had any IT Band issues since I got one!

im no whimp, i've had 3 kids:D

Looks good, must get myself one of them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Hi Ray, do you know what time per mile the 5 hour pacers will aim for, or what their plan will be? Thanks

im no whimp, i've had 3 kids:D

Looks good, must get myself one of them!!!

The old 'children' card eh?

Hi Ray, do you know what time per mile the 5 hour pacers will aim for, or what their plan will be? Thanks

I've PMed a couple of them to ask. They're not regular boardsies though, so it might take them a while to get back to me.

All of the other pace groups are running at a steady pace for the whole course and aiming to get in 30-60 seconds ahead of time. If the 5 hour guys are doing that, they'll be running about 11.25/mile. But I'll see if they can confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've PMed a couple of them to ask. They're not regular boardsies though, so it might take them a while to get back to me.

All of the other pace groups are running at a steady pace for the whole course and aiming to get in 30-60 seconds ahead of time. If the 5 hour guys are doing that, they'll be running about 11.25/mile. But I'll see if they can confirm.
    They'll be under strict instruction to run even splits, the same as all the other pace groups.

Advertisement