Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatry is bogus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If a person says that a small horse told them to climb trees and sing Bohemian Rhapsody then they're considered 'schizophrenic' if a man says 'My imaginary king told me to devote my life to spreading his opinion' then he's respected as a priest or vicar or imam or rabbi.

Wasadifference?

Carl Sagan did a pretty bad ass write up on this very subject called "The Dragon In My Garage" ( a chapter from his book The Demon Haunted World). Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

whiteonion wrote: »
    No, just plain idiocy.

Yeah, everyone's an idiot but you, only you can see the light.

Go start a ****ing cult, you evil man!

Hopefully when you kill yourself to journey amongst the stars your followers will drop the kool-aid and think, "glad that prick is gone."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Buceph wrote: »
    Patient presents complaining of X, psychiatrist applies Y, X reduces. When this happens across a group of people on a statisically significant level it's known as science.

Person presents complaining of having impure thoughts, priest applies prayer, impure thought reduces. When this happens across a group of people on a statistically significant level it's known as religion.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

IMHO the DSM is a load of ****.

Not to belittle the work of Messrs Frued and Jung but the whole area of Psychotherapy has been corrupted to suit the capitalist model. Be very, very careful who you believe in this area, people have motive to hand out diagnoses which suit them, and it isn't just drug companies which stand to gain.

That said, talking therapy does work for some, as do some drugs, YMMV.

Just the diagnostic process sucks balls IMO. Get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You do realise the seminaries actually check for people with those disorders. Anyone saying they have actual conversations with god are referred to doctors.

Also if you think schizophrenia is a case of being told to "climb trees and sing Bohemian Rhapsody" you're ****ing clueless.

Again I challenge you to tell me exactly* what schizophrenia is - this is the second challenge I've presented you with - you've failed the first one and I'm pretty confident you will do no better on this one.

*after all we can't study the nature of something unless we know what it is - that is science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

This is fascinating, no matter your stance ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Yeah, everyone's an idiot but you, only you can see the light.

Go start a ****ing cult, you evil man!

Hopefully when you kill yourself to journey amongst the stars your followers will drop the kool-aid and think, "glad that prick is gone."

I have a certain knack of being right about many things. My mother for example is prediabetic, she followed her doctor's bull**** advice that she should eat fruits and wholegrains, blablblabla. The results were predictable and she didn't get any better... her blood sugars were still high. I told her to go low carb, now her blood sugar is at a 3 month average of 4.8, her blood pressure is better and many other values are also better. My mum was better of following my advice than the advice of a so called educated professional. I have no respects for Doctors or Psychiatrists, a bunch of buffoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Everyone attempting to discredit psychiatry has an agenda.

"If it's impossible to classify a person as insane, then I cannot be insane."

Someone doesn't want their onion peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Drugs are not the answers to your problems, do you have any idea what that stuff will do to your inner organs in the long run?

Do you?honestly can't be any more damaging then what I would get up to during an episode of mania,(waking up in hospital with my wrists basicaly stitched back together,inviting vagrants and everybody in between back to my parents house in the middle of the night etc,spending crazy money on stupid stuff without realisng)

Funnily enough once I started taking my 'harmful' meds prescribed by 'bogus' doctors all these things stopped!

Do you?honestly can't be any more damaging then what I would get up to during an episode of mania,(waking up in hospital with my wrists basicaly stitched back together,inviting vagrants and everybody in between back to my parents house in the middle of the night etc,spending crazy money on stupid stuff without realisng)

Funnily enough once I started taking my 'harmful' meds prescribed by 'bogus' doctors all these things stopped!

Remember, they don't want to hear that you got help from treatments as they largely don't believe there was anything wrong with you in the first place.

Just a heads up on your audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

I have a certain knack of being right about many things. My mother for example is prediabetic, she followed her doctor's bull**** advice that she should eat fruits and wholegrains, blablblabla. The results were predictable and she didn't get any better... her blood sugars were still high. I told her to go low carb, now her blood sugar is at a 3 month average of 4.8, her blood pressure is better and many other values are also better. My mum was better of following my advice than the advice of a so called educated professional. I have no respects for Doctors or Psychiatrists, a bunch of buffoons.

Why did she even bother to consult a doctor? Surely, her first impulse would be to ask the genius son who emerged from her womb?

It sounds more like you have been high on some sort of stimulant, lika cocaine, ecstasy or possibly crystal meth

Again I challenge you to tell me exactly* what schizophrenia is - this is the second challenge I've presented you with - you've failed the first one and I'm pretty confident you will do no better on this one.

*after all we can't study the nature of something unless we know what it is - that is science.

First off, you asserted that schizophrenia doesn't exist because some people see a difference between someone hearing voices and a religious person hearing god. I told you why even churches rarely make that distinction. And so your assertion was false.

Secondly, you're the one proposing something running contrary to science, you should prove your point. Especially as you seem to take the views of some religious people (who are not noted as being the most scientific of people) as proof of your claim. Something I easily refuted.

Finally, I can't give an exact definition of schizophrenia, I am not a psychiatrist. And you still have given me no reason to doubt the information I do know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I dont get why people just cant accept that just because there is no medical test for mental illnesses that they dont exist and cause suffering to individuals. Brains are made of cells and use chemicals to communicate. We know cells can be dysfunctional throughout the body so why not in the brain?

It sounds more like you have been high on some sort of stimulant, lika cocaine, ecstasy or possibly crystal meth

Genius! Why didn't anyone else think of that. The guy suffering form manic depression was on cocaine. And when he stopped taking the cocaine he wasn't taking in the first place, he came down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

OutlawPete wrote: »
    This is fascinating, no matter your stance ..

Interesting indeed

To the people denying the reliability of psychiatry...

Have you been diagnosed with a psychiatric illness. Or has someone with the knowledge to make an educated guess hypothesised that you could or do suffer from a psychiatric condition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

some religious people (who are not noted as being the most scientific of people)

:confused:

Have you been diagnosed with a psychiatric illness. Or has someone with the knowledge to make an educated guess hypothesised that you could or do suffer from a psychiatric condition?

I avoid psychiatry like the plague so no.

I avoid psychiatry like the plague so no.

lol

• Advertisement

I like low insurance premiums and job offers, so no. You don't know where that information could end up. We live in an age of distributed databases now. Lawful Information handling is only applicable when you know, the data isn't mishandled. No one is perfect.

Have you ever considered the placebo effect? Not saying that is the case, but I doubt the drugs were correcting a measurable quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

I think you vastly over-estimate your expertise whiteonion - seeing as you've already told someone who received psychiatric treatment that it was cocaine or crystal meth that caused their problems: and you don't even know the person!

Psychiatry is a discipline that is itself critical of the DSM and is aware of its own cognitive pitfalls (ho-ho). It isn't a hive-mind, it's open to and subject to robust criticism and many psychiatrists do believe there's been over-prescription.

None of these is an argument against the medicines or the practice of psychiatry. And none of it is a reason to believe Tom Cruise is talking sense!

And Naikon: not all drugs are the same and while placebo effect might be in competition with medication amongst the SSRI class in the likes of mild depression (important qualification there) there are many others with clearly demonstrable clinical outcomes. Anti-psychotics, sedatives etc.

And as for the poster earlier asking for the 'proof' - scientific enquiry proceeds inductively. You start with a hypothesis and then make observation. There's little 'proof' at the start of anything. You find out. Trial and error ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Naikon wrote: »
    Have you ever considered the placebo effect? Not saying that is the case, but I doubt the drugs were correcting a measurable quantity.
    How would you biologically measure happiness in a person who claims to be happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

turn out the lights in your room and dont move, when you do that a big rock will appear in the room and disappear when you turn the light back on, you know thats nonsense right? but yet you cant prove it isnt there when you turn the lights off can you!

Plautus wrote: »
    I think you vastly over-estimate your expertise whiteonion - seeing as you've already told someone who received psychiatric treatment that it was cocaine or crystal meth that caused their problems: and you don't even know the person!

Psychiatry is a discipline that is itself critical of the DSM and is aware of its own cognitive pitfalls (ho-ho). It isn't a hive-mind, it's open to and subject to robust criticism and many psychiatrists do believe there's been over-prescription.

None of these is an argument against the medicines or the practice of psychiatry. And none of it is a reason to believe Tom Cruise is talking sense!

I said it sounded like the behavior of someone high on these kind of drugs.

How would you biologically measure happiness in a person who claims to be happy?

The very concept of "happiness" is entirely subjective and does not have any grounding in science.

The very concept of "happiness" is entirely subjective and does not have any grounding in science.

Are you saying people can't be happy or sad?

Saila wrote: »
    turn out the lights in your room and dont move, when you do that a big rock will appear in the room and disappear when you turn the light back on, you know thats nonsense right? but yet you cant prove it isnt there when you turn the lights off can you!

Evidence of absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

I said it sounded like the behavior of someone high on these kind of drugs.

Sure, but you're making the implication to suit your own ends and that is highly inappropriate and even insulting to the poster who shared his or her story. The behaviour described can occur in people who have not consumed any such substances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement