Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatry is bogus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Naikon wrote: »
    You could make the same arguments for religion tbh.

you could but then you would be ignoring scientific experiments and theories just like you are doing with a whole field of medicine!

tbh i think your out of your depth with this.

just to clarify are you dismissing Psychiatry as a science?

yes/no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

OutlawPete wrote: »
    The infamous Tom Crusie interview where he called psychiatry a "pseudo science" ..

One of the few sensible things Cruise has ever said. He's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?:pac:

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

skelliser wrote: »
    you could but then you would be ignoring scientific experiments and theories just like you are doing with a whole field of medicine!

The obvious difference is that the human brain can be studied quite readily.

How can we study something that we cannot see at the moment or have not seen yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

just to clarify are you dismissing Psychiatry as a science?
    yes/no

Yes

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »

Are you a scientologist?

Yes

Surely not? Are you dismissing any other areas of the study of the brain or mind?

Why psychiatry specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Won't show up on an MRI.

You need to try and research a bit harder.

http://www.encognitive.com/node/10324

So there you go, your whole argument brought down by one quick Google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

orourkeda wrote: »
    Are you a scientologist?

An atheist, but thanks for asking. What he said makes perfect sense.

How can we study something that we cannot see at the moment or have not seen yet?

here, get a dictionary and look up the word "science"

FFS, did everyone's IQ drop in this rescession along with the price of houses!

• Advertisement

here, get a dictionary and look up the word "science"

FFS, did everyone's IQ drop in this rescession along with the price of houses!

I know what the word science means.

Get back down off your high horse and explain to the retard here what is so stupid about what I said.

Yes

fair enough!

another question, do you beleive in creationism?

if not, explain why

fair enough!

another question, do you beleive in creationism?

if not, explain why

I am an atheist. It's all bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

How do you scientifically measure mental illness, it's all an arbitrary excessive in labeling people based on behavior. It was once considered that homosexuals were mentally ill. That's just an arbitrary label.

An atheist, but thanks for asking. What he said makes perfect sense.

Drugs may not be the answer. Theres a certain truth in what he says there, but what are the alternatives or solutions?

Drugs may not be the answer. Theres a certain truth in what he says there, but what are the alternatives or solutions?

A ban on psychiatric drugs.

You need to try and research a bit harder.

http://www.encognitive.com/node/10324

So there you go, your whole argument brought down by one quick Google search.

"Wyeth-Ayerst Pharmaceuticals"

HHHMMMM. Seems legitimate :D Wonder who represented that study at the University. Aren't there other factors influencing the scan results? Emotional state isn't the only factor here. You bet your barney these studies are rigged, at least to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Just because science hasnt yet shown in all cases how mental illness is caused doesnt mean there is no physical problem with the brain leading to disorder.
    The mind is both the physical brain and its operation. In something so complex as a brain it only takes small genetic differences or mutations to make someone unwell or at one of the extreme ends of "normalness".

Brains and minds are made of neurons,neurotransmitters, receptors, synapses, all interconnected. Psychiatry just tries to treat disorder in that system that may be due to environment or nature or both.

**** Tom Cruise, my Beta Blockers help me no end. Believe what you want tbh.

"Wyeth-Ayerst Pharmaceuticals"

HHHMMMM!

Ah cool, now i see where you are coming from. I'll leave you to it.

• Advertisement

whiteonion wrote: »
    How do you scientifically measure mental illness, it's all an arbitrary excessive in labeling people based on behavior. It was once considered that homosexuals were mentally ill. That's just an arbitrary label.

We can safely say that the field of study may not be as sophicticated as we would like, but there will be strides made. That's almost inevitable.

Writing it off at this point would be short sighted in the extreme

Then what?

I know what the word science means.

Get back down off your high horse and explain to the retard here what is so stupid about what I said.

the Higgs Boson is theorized by physicists to exist but its never been seen our observed. The technology ie. the large hadron collidor only came online last year.
    It is hoped that this particle will now be discovered, quantified and understood.

Now lets apply this to the study of the brain, alot is known about neurotransmitters particular serotonion. It has been observed and quantified that in a majority of depressed or other people that are suffering from mental illnesses that serotonion levels are lower then "normal" people.
    Why is not understood.
    The science continues.

If we accepted the OP's view we should dismiss all of the above and we may as well dismiss the higgs boson theory!
    Sure why stop there! we may aswell embrace creationism!

Then we had stuff explained away as witchcraft and all other kinds of crazy stuff.

We can safely say that the field of study may not be as sophicticated as we would like, but there will be strides made. That's almost inevitable.

Writing it off at this point would be short sighted in the extreme

I write of astrology, alchemy and other non sciences as well. In my view psychiatry has the same scientific basis as astrology.

Then what?

Let so called mentally ill people deal with their problems in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah perfect,I'll go back to not sleeping for 4/5 days and going into mania,moron.

Yeah perfect,I'll go back to not sleeping for 4/5 days and going into mania,moron.

Drugs are not the answers to your problems, do you have any idea what that stuff will do to your inner organs in the long run?

Let so called mentally ill people deal with their problems in other ways.

What other ways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Buceph wrote: »

And it's also testable, in the sense that when certain things are applied to said ailments, there is a statistically significant outcome.

Proof of beneficial outcome?
    You're either ignorant of what psychiatry is, or conspiracy theory nutter.

Please elaborate on what you mean by this? Are you saying 'if you don't accept that psychiatry is a field of expertise then you are nuts'

If so you are saying 'because you don't believe that people have the power to deem you 'nuts' then you are a 'nutter'.

Kinda reminds me of the Monty Python witch burning logic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What other ways?

Meditation, excersice - vitamin d etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement