Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatry is bogus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

**** Tom Cruise, my Beta Blockers help me no end. Believe what you want tbh.

Beta Blockers block the effects of stress related hormones, lower heart rate, blood pressure etc - I don't think Tom Cruise is anti-all-medicine - he just takes issue with psychiatry and it's stance that the "mind" can be treated with SSRIs and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

skelliser wrote: »
    the Higgs Boson is theorized by physicists to exist but its never been seen our observed. The technology ie. the large hadron collidor only came online last year.
    It is hoped that this particle will now be discovered, quantified and understood.

Now lets apply this to the study of the brain, alot is known about neurotransmitters particular serotonion. It has been observed and quantified that in a majority of depressed or other people that are suffering from mental illnesses that serotonion levels are lower then "normal" people.
    Why is not understood.
    The science continues.

If we accepted the OP's view we should dismiss all of the above and we may as well dismiss the higgs boson theory!
    Sure why stop there! we may aswell embrace creationism!

How will the inconsistencies in physics be explained if this particle isn't found? Surely these inconsistencies arise from the fact that the particle in question has not been found at least in part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

orourkeda wrote: »
    How will the inconsistencies in physics be explained if this particle isn't found?

Do you work in the field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

whiteonion wrote: »
    I write of astrology, alchemy and other non sciences as well.

stop there karl, lmao! :D
    this whole thread reads like an episode of the rickey gervais show!

Meditation, excersice - vitamin d etc

Surely the resolution of some mental and psychological problems are more complicated than exercising and taking Vitamin D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Drugs are not the answers to your problems, do you have any idea what that stuff will do to your inner organs in the long run?

Do you????

Links to studies and evidence please, would love to see them.

Naikon wrote: »
    Do you work in the field?

No. That's why I'm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I write of astrology, alchemy and other non sciences as well. In my view psychiatry has the same scientific basis as astrology.

That's because at best you don't understand it, and at worst you're malevolently evil.
    Proof of beneficial outcome?

What proof do you want.

Patient presents complaining of X, psychiatrist applies Y, X reduces. When this happens across a group of people on a statisically significant level it's known as science.
    Drugs are not the answers to your problems, do you have any idea what that stuff will do to your inner organs in the long run?

Do you think this about all drugs? Like transplant patients shouldn't be given anti-rejection drugs?

Do you know what thinking the TV is sending coded messages to you will do to someone in the long run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Do you????

Links to studies and evidence please, would love to see them.

People on bipolar drugs are known to frequently gain an excessive amount of weight, not good for your health. Here's a list of known side effects. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/bipolardisorder/medication_003783.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

orourkeda wrote: »
    How will the inconsistencies in physics be explained if this particle isn't found?

well then we will have to revise our theory and develop new experiments.
    The aim is not to find an answer in the whole but to increase our knowledge.
    Not finding it will answer many questions that otherwise might remain a mystery. What im trying to say is it would not be a failure. we will just have to begin again.

Thats the beauty and ambiguity of science! failures can be a success!

• Advertisement

People on bipolar drugs are known to frequently gain an excessive amount of weight, not good for your health. Here's a list of known side effects. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/bipolardisorder/medication_003783.htm

So being a fatty is worse than swapping between a state where you believe there's nothing to live for and state where you literally think you're the King of Ireland?

Edit: This is a list of the possible side-effects of drug used by kidney transplant patients to prevent donor organ rejection.
    ADRs can include gingival hyperplasia, convulsions, peptic ulcers, pancreatitis, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, hypercholesterolemia, dyspnea, numbness and tingling particularly of the lips, pruritus, high blood pressure, potassium retention, and possibly hyperkalemia, kidney and liver dysfunction (nephrotoxicity[13] and hepatotoxicity), burning sensations at finger tips and an increased vulnerability to opportunistic fungal and viral infections.

By your logic they should either take the kidney and hope their immune system doesn't kill it off (although I'm not too sure you'd agree with kidney transplants seeing as you believe medicine is voodoo.) Or they shouldn't get a kidney transplant in the first place but meditate on getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Very surprised at this comment. Sometimes I can almost feel them swishing about in my brain. Can you please explain why it is a bogus theory?

It's rubbish. There is no proof that chemical imbalance causes any emotional instability.

I challenge anyone to provide irrefutable proof that a chemical imbalance in the brain causes emotional distress.

Vigorous exercise causes a 'chemical imbalance' in the brain - the chemical balance doesn't cause people to exercise vigorously.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Beta Blockers block the effects of stress related hormones, lower heart rate, blood pressure etc - I don't think Tom Cruise is anti-all-medicine - he just takes issue with psychiatry and it's stance that the "mind" can be treated with SSRIs and the like.

Indeed, but without the field of psychiatry and pharmaceuticals i would have no Beta Blockers to stop the endless cascades of Adrenaline which were, to be honest, completely ****ing ruining my life.

To be honest, i am not a huge fan of SSRI's at all, never liked them when i was on them and don't feel they helped me in the slightest.

That said, i know people who appear to have benefited from them greatly...as such it annoys me when people sit there and say "Ah sure, a bit of exercise and an apple will fix you right up".

Buceph wrote: »
    So being a fatty is worse than swapping between a state where you believe there's nothing to live for and state where you literally think you're the King of Ireland?

Yes, being obese is very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/048f8c56-6a29-11e0-86e4-00144feab49a.html#axzz1KJ1DAJlM

Closing in on test for scizophrenia. 600 genes involved in that disease(highly complex) . Maybe scizophrenics should just take more vitamins(another drug BTW) and exercise more and they'll be grand.

Jesus man, the Beta Blockers i am taking can causes possible mutation on a cellular level and the best you can come up with is a bit of weight gain?

I pitched you an easy ball and you managed to hit yourself in the face with the bat. :D

Yes, being obese is very dangerous.

Death by mars bar.

What proof do you want.

Patient presents complaining of X, psychiatrist applies Y, X reduces. When this happens across a group of people on a statisically significant level it's known as science.

[ ] Proof
    [x] Belief that it works.
    [x] Opinion.

Where's my proof again? Oh yeah you avoided that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Who knew that mental disorders would be more complex than on/off switches in the brain. Of course drugs are going to have side effects.

If bipolar people just took a combination of the drugs and your magic thinking-exercise-sun exposure cure, then the weight gain wouldn't be a problem!

[ ] Proof
    [x] Belief that it works.
    [x] Opinion.

Where's my proof again? Oh yeah you avoided that question.

Don't feel too bad, he probably works for Pfizer.

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    well then we will have to revise our theory and develop new experiments.
    The aim is not to find an answer in the whole but to increase our knowledge.
    Not finding it will answer many questions that otherwise might remain a mystery. What im trying to say is it would not be a failure. we will just have to begin again.

Thats the beauty and ambiguity of science! failures can be a success!

Absolutely. Thats a given and the whole purpose of scientific endeavour is to increase knowledge and understanding.

My initial point was that, simply put, in the scientific realm, what we can see and prove provides us with the required and irrefutable evidence that something does or doesn't exist. My point was that in my view spiritual matters are not entirely a scientific matter, believers trust to faith. If and when a scientific solution to the existence of god is announced that is a hoy grail on virtually every level

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/048f8c56-6a29-11e0-86e4-00144feab49a.html#axzz1KJ1DAJlM

Closing in on test for scizophrenia. 600 genes involved in that disease(highly complex) . Maybe scizophrenics should just take more vitamins(another drug BTW) and exercise more and they'll be grand.

If a person says that a small horse told them to climb trees and sing Bohemian Rhapsody then they're considered 'schizophrenic' if a man says 'My imaginary king told me to devote my life to spreading his opinion' then he's respected as a priest or vicar or imam or rabbi.

Wasadifference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

there are 2 kinds of people, those who trust and those who dont
    if you're the latter you are closer to a serious mental illness than you realise

Check out these side effects -

diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
    fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
    easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
    urinating less than usual or not at all;
    severe skin rash, itching, or peeling;
    agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior; or
    seizure (black-out or convulsions).
    Less serious penicillin V side effects are more likely to occur, such as:

nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
    vaginal itching or discharge;
    headache;
    swollen, black, or "hairy" tongue; or
    thrush (white patches or inside your mouth or throat).

****ing Penicillin - dangerous ****.

Lloyd Blankfein, CEO of Goldman Sachs claimed that he was doing "God's work". Is Loyd Blankfein schizophrenic too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

so how do people figure we help people who are suffering from scizophrenia?

a pat on the back and some exercise?

Naikon wrote: »
    Don't feel too bad, he probably works for Pfizer.

You honestly believe their is a vast conspiracy perpetrated by virtually every doctor in the world, and every pharmaceutical, and every researcher. A conspiracy so good that they publish, for anyone to see, the basis of their conclusions, how they came to them, the test parameters, the results of the testing, everything.

You genuinely believe that such a conspiracy, where all their evidence has been subject to scrutiny has caught out everyone in the world, and everyone with any ability to understand it is a party to that conspiracy.

You honestly believe their is a vast conspiracy perpetrated by virtually every doctor in the world, and every pharmaceutical, and every researcher. A conspiracy so good that they publish, for anyone to see, the basis of their conclusions, how they came to them, the test parameters, the results of the testing, everything.

You genuinely believe that such a conspiracy, where all their evidence has been subject to scrutiny has caught out everyone in the world, and everyone with any ability to understand it is a party to that conspiracy.

No, just plain idiocy.

Then we have illnesses like ptsd, addiction and a whole raft of conditions that a walk in the park and a spot of sun bathing wont cure.

• Advertisement

If a person says that a small horse told them to climb trees and sing Bohemian Rhapsody then they're considered 'schizophrenic' if a man says 'My imaginary king told me to devote my life to spreading his opinion' then he's respected as a priest or vicar or imam or rabbi.

Wasadifference?

You do realise the seminaries actually check for people with those disorders. Anyone saying they have actual conversations with god are referred to doctors.

Also if you think schizophrenia is a case of being told to "climb trees and sing Bohemian Rhapsody" you're ****ing clueless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement