Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being stopped in the street to talk about "Jesus Christ".

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm really not in the humour for dancing a pointless merryless dance with you.

What about a slow dance instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Sacramento wrote: »
    Em, no.

Why not? You have an issue about religion that you want to discuss. Boards has a Religion Forum. Maybe you should try to use the correct f***ing forums from time to time.

I cant believe that the Mods are doing so little while After Hours basically turns into the Religion subforum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Boxoffrogs wrote: »
    Normally I'm not amused when they approach but had to admire the balls on them.

Tight jeans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What about a slow dance instead?

OK. But no touching below the waist.

mstan wrote: »
    Why not? You have an issue about religion that you want to discuss. Boards has a Religion Forum. Maybe you should try to use the correct f***ing forums from time to time.

I cant believe that the Mods are doing so little while After Hours basically turns into the Religion subforum

"God has no place within these (virtual) walls!"

• Advertisement

This is AH, I choose to post here, so I can if I like. I wanted the opinions of people getting stopped be religious people, not the opinions of people in a religion based forum. It's a choice that I am entitled to make. What part of this do you not comprehend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Alternately, if you see a thread in AH with a title you don't like....don't read it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

It's born again christians that stop me usually, a priest has never stopped me, it's usually some hipster scene kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

stimpson wrote: »
    Tight jeans?

Unfortunately not, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm a born again virgin.

• Advertisement

It's born again christians that stop you usually, a priest has never stopped me, it's usually some hipster scene kid.

Hipster Jesus?

I wanted the opinions of people getting stopped be religious people, not the opinions of people in a religion based forum.

Why not? These are obviously the people you have a problem with. Why not man up and face them with your grievance rather than b!tching behind their backs over in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Why not? These are obviously the people you have a problem with. Why not man up and face them with your grievance rather than b!tching behind their backs over in After Hours.

Here we can have a laugh and a joke about it e.g talk about them wearing tight jeans and showing their balls...............Can't imagine that going down well in the SERIOUS religion forums....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I somehow doubt that. People who have the faith and conviction to go around preaching to people about God are not the kind of people who will change their minds on the subject after a five minute conversation with some randomer.

Yet they expect people to do the same.

Interesting.

Why not? These are obviously the people you have a problem with.

No, they aren't. If you read my posts, it's the people who stop me in the street and knock on my door that I have a problem with. Unless you're making some sort of assumption that the people in the religion forum do this.
    Why not man up and face them with your grievance rather than b!tching behind their backs over in After Hours.

What is this I don't even...

Ok that's it, I have no more troll food pall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The issue was not about Religion directly, more about the people who stop you in the street to talk about.

Oh and chill the hell out.

Here we can have a laugh and a joke about it e.g talk about them wearing tight jeans and showing their balls...............Can't imagine that going down well in the SERIOUS religion forums....:)

Yeah if it was a whimsical thread it would fit right into AH. But the OP has an issue and he/she wanted to "vent". But they took the coward approach of posting in After Hours rather than actually debating it with the people he is against in the Religion forum

Yeah if it was a whimsical thread it would fit right into AH. But the OP has an issue and he/she wanted to "vent". But they took the coward approach of posting in After Hours rather than actually debating it with the people he is against in the Religion forum

Well I'm shy, my sex has yet to be determined.

And now you're venting back.

So the circle of life is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

I know this will upset or annoy some people, but I have to vent somewhere...

Why didn't you vent at them?

• Advertisement

It's funny how you never see atheists stopping people on the street to talk about the non-existence of God.

That's cos they all do their evangelising in After Hours.

Turning the other cheek was the Christian thing to do.

I did before but it was like talking to a smiling ignorant wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Some people I suppose just don't like to be rude or whatever to people........
    I'd be desperate bad trying to get off the phone with cold callers. My husband does laugh at me. Now I just say in a sing songy voice "No, but thank you for calling" before hanging up quickly when they ask me if I'd be interested in buying whatever they are selling.

I'd be useless on the street with these "jesus guys":D

I did before but it was like talking to a smiling ignorant wall.

Actually, yeah, that makes sense...I've had some experience of that patronising attitude that they have where they stand there treating you like a little child that hasn't been enlightened yet to the great knowledge they have. What I'VE found is that you can't win with them. Even if you agree with everything they say they just keep pushing and pushing their own point of view - "Did you go to mass today? Are you carrying a bible now?" etc...Jesus himself would probably not meet their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

A woman on henry street tried to give me weird dried flowers wrapped in tinfoil I dont know if it was a religious thing - but she got shoulder to shoulder with me and i felt she might try to rob me!
    So I told her rather loudly that I dont like to be harassed on the street, then she told me it was bad to refuse good luck...

Some people I suppose just don't like to be rude or whatever to people........
    I'd be desperate bad trying to get off the phone with cold callers. My husband does laugh at me. Now I just say in a sing songy voice "No, but thank you for calling" before hanging up quickly when they ask me if I'd be interested in buying whatever they are selling.

I'd be useless on the street with these "jesus guys":D

You don't have to be rude, just be firm. I've had the same experience of people hassling me and hassling me until I eventually stop being polite. As Calvin's mom (as in 'and Hobbes', not the preacher) said, this world would be a much better place if people didn't take being polite as an invitation to walk all over you!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Mark200 wrote: »
    As a (usually outspoken) atheist I have to say that I'm also getting tired of this religion topics. Nothing personal to the person who started this topic, but can we just talk about something else please? :)

The thread title is "Being stopped in the street to talk about Jesus Christ". See where I'm going with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Its a funny auld thing.
    Here on AH there are threads on TV, food, politics, sports, sexual matters, fashion etc. All of these topics have other fora and threads in which they could be discussed in particular.
    So why is it that the slightest sniff of religion in a topic immediately results in poster demanding special treatment in having these posts moved to Catholicism or Atheism?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's funny how you never see atheists stopping people on the street to talk about the non-existence of God.

I would take a punt and say that is probably because atheists don't think that atheism really has any profound significance in terms of ones circumstances. Christians think that Christianity changes everything. This becomes manifest in numerous ways.

I personally don't see all that much of a problem with the people in the OP. They are merely taking advantage of their legal right. Personally I find evangelism is more natural when the Gospel comes up in personal relationships I have with friends, or new friendships that arise. If Christianity is that important to you you can't hide it, it's a part of who you are, and it is something you want to share with everyone. The difference is that I find that most people ask me about Christianity first rather than the other way around.

Advertisement