Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being stopped in the street to talk about "Jesus Christ".

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:17pm

It happened to me twice in one day.

First time I was walking towards the AIB bank near the Blanchardstown shopping centre and two guys in suits stopped me. I had my earphones in so I didn't hear what one of them said to me the first time, so took my earphones out and said "sorry, excuse me?". Then he said "Could I take up some of your time to talk to you about Jesus Christ?", I just said "no, thank you" and walked away. Minor inconvenience I thought.

Happened again later walking toward the train station, some some guy in a suit and some girl dressed like blossom stopped me and asked me the exact same question. It's getting annoying because the next morning I got stopped by some others on my way to work for the same thing.

At various times throughout the year I've had some people call to my door to talk to me about it too, telling me their religion and so on.

It's getting so annoying! I don't believe and never will, this whole nonsense about, "you can't prove he doesn't exist so therefore he exists LOL" just hurts my ears so badly. I can't prove there isn't a floating giraffe around Jupiter, but it doesn't mean there is. I can tell everyone I have felt it in my heart that there is a giraffe floating around Jupiter, that I pray to it because my parents told me to since I was little, and that there is a heaven and hell because I just know there is, but it's still nonsense, you're ignoring all scientific work!

I know this will upset or annoy some people, but I have to vent somewhere, I've been stopped in the street and had people knocking on the door about Jesus Christ. Does this happen to any of you guys often? What's your reaction to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I was once stopped by a Korean man and woman, the man was holding a laptop and the woman was holding a clipboard and they asked me if I would help them by doing a survey (this was in TCD campus so I presumed they were students doing research or something). I said grand, and they said they'd show me a video and ask me about my reactions to it. The video was all about how God is actually a woman and when it was over they told me they were part of some Korean religious sect and would I consider joining them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's funny how you never see atheists stopping people on the street to talk about the non-existence of God.

I'm all for allowing people to believe whatever the hell they want, but there is a rather odd element to Catholicism that tries to convince non-believers into believing. It's not as sinister as it used to be with the Crusades, but it's still very odd.

You believe in God? Sound. You want to convince me to do the same? Fuck off. I have a mind of my own, thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yeah, there used to be two American guys in white shirts around the Rathmines area asking if they could talk about Jesus.

I think I managed to convert them to atheism, or at least knock some of their faith away. The killer line was when I said God was just an adults imaginary friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's funny how you never see atheists stopping people on the street to talk about the non-existence of God.

I'm all for allowing people to believe whatever the hell they want, but there is a rather odd element to Catholicism that tries to convince non-believers into believing. It's not as sinister as it used to be with the Crusades, but it's still very odd.

You believe in God? Sound. You want to convince me to do the same? Fuck off. I have a mind of my own, thank you very much.

I do every Saturday on Grafton street preaching the word of Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I think I managed to convert them to atheism, or at least knock some of their faith away.
    I somehow doubt that. People who have the faith and conviction to go around preaching to people about God are not the kind of people who will change their minds on the subject after a five minute conversation with some randomer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

It's not really. They believe that if you don't accept Jebus and his ways, you're going to go to hell. It'd be fairly cúntish not to try and convince people to believe.

It'd be like me looking at you walking down the street and a piano about to fall on your head. It'd be fairly dickish not to shout out to you (these guys) or push you out of the way (the Crusades.)

Except in this case, there's no piano visible in fact there's nothing above your head except a sturdy roof, and I have a persistent phobia that piano's are going to drop out of the sky caused by people who make money selling me anti-piano falling insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Vent in the Religion Forum FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The anti-Christianity/Catholicism stuff in this forum has got beyond tedious. You're an athiest, I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Theres quite a few American ones around recently ><.

I dont mind the ones who preach at a street or cornor,its the ones that go up to you or stop you are the worst!Theres two fellas down in cork who are bearded,freakishly tall and look crazy and come up to you...Scary guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

well what do you say to them if you do believe in God....I already believe. Thank you goodbye

• Advertisement

mstan wrote: »
    Vent in the Religion Forum FFS

Em, no.

No one truly has a mind of their own and is very much influenced by the environment and society within which they live. To try to claim otherwise is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

They do it on boards instead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

As a (usually outspoken) atheist I have to say that I'm also getting tired of this religion topics. Nothing personal to the person who started this topic, but can we just talk about something else please? :)

m@cc@ wrote: »
    The anti-Christianity/Catholicism stuff in this forum has got beyond tedious. You're an athiest, I get it.

It's mainly about being inconvenienced by these religious folk during my daily routine, the frustration from this led me to rant a bit about my views on religious beliefs, and then ask the question about other peoples experiences of these people. I don't particularly care about the other religious threads, but since so many people have thought enough of their religion to stop me in the street and knock on my door I feel it fair that I may be able to vent somewhat about my views which are mine only.
    Thanks for the irrelevant reply. However I'm SO glad you got that I'm an atheist.

Sacramento wrote: »
    It's mainly about being inconvenienced by these religious folk during my daily routine, the frustration from this led me to rant a bit about my views on religious beliefs, and then ask the question about other peoples experiences of these people. I don't particularly care about the other religious threads, but since so many people have thought enough of their religion to stop me in the street and knock on my door I feel it fair that I may be able to vent somewhat about my views which are mine only.
    Thanks for the irrelevant reply. However I'm SO glad you got that I'm an atheist.

A statement about anti-Christianity posts irrelevant in thread about bitching about "Jesus Christ"? Wise up.

Quick tip in dealing with these people, keep walking. Problem solved.

Always happy to help.

A statement about anti-Christianity posts irrelevant in thread about bitching about people who knock on your door and stop you in the street to talk about "Jesus Christ"? Wise up.

Quick tip in dealing with these people, keep walking. Problem solved.

Always happy to help.

FYP.

Though you're advice is good, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

2 Jehovah witnesses were looking to convert my driving instructor while he was in my car giving me a lesson. Made me stall the car with laughing. Normally I'm not amused when they approach but had to admire the balls on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Don't knock it.
    There's no such thing as an Atheist suicide bomber.

• Advertisement

FYP.

Though you're advice is good, thanks.

Knocking on the door, irritating, I'll give you that. But who stops you in the street and why do you let them if you don't wish to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Don't knock it.

They clearly lack commitment to their cause then, no wonder people are trying to convert them.

Don't knock it.

Not aware of a Christian one either.

*awaits minions on Google to prove me wrong* :)

No one truly has a mind of their own and is very much influenced by the environment and society within which they live. To try to claim otherwise is ridiculous.

I could have said that "in so far as it is possible to have a mind of one's own - in a world where our minds & subconscious are influenced by external factors - I have a mind of my own", but that would have been more ridiculous.

I could have said that "in so far as it is possible to have a mind of one's own - in a world where our minds & subconscious are influenced by external factors - I have a mind of my own", but that would have been more ridiculous.

So your mind could be influenced by these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

RichieC wrote: »
    I do every Saturday on Grafton street preaching the word of Dawkins.

And the Dawkins said, "Forget thee thy manners, and thy conscience and run from pillar to post spewing the words of me, thy intellectual saviour. Show no temperance towards those fools who would believe in the theological....and spend 19.99 on my new book".

Knocking on the door, irritating, I'll give you that. But who stops you in the street?

Do you want a name or something?
    ....and why do you let them if you don't wish to stop?

I said I had my earphones in, didn't know what they were saying first, they could be asking for directions or for the time which I'm happy to give normally.

So your mind could be influenced by these people?

I'm really not in the humour for dancing a pointless merryless dance with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sanderelle

im a strong believer in god, but i soooo get where you are coming from, i also get annoyed with people calling to my door ect ect to talk "about god", i just wanna scream at them **** off, im a " catholic" ahem ahem, but i dont follow any religion as religion is just fn politics, i think if you dont believe ya dont believe, but if ya do believe, follow whats in your heart not in some religion!! and dont mind that person dissing your thread, a lot of us get where you are coming from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was in London during the Bus Campaign and people were doing exactly that.

Advertisement