Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Faith No More Appreciation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They ripped off Sugarhill gang for Be agressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Nolanger wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, I'd consider myself a bit of a fan of Sugarhill Gang, what is the song in question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That wasnt yesterday!:D I saw em there also - great gig.

That was way back. I was at that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Nailz wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, I'd consider myself a bit of a fan of Sugarhill Gang, what is the song in question?

http://www.we7.com/#/song/The-Sugarhill-Gang/Be-A-Winner

I know that song — do you actually mean that FNM ripped it off, or do you mean the song titles are mildly similar? If it's the former, I'm sorry, but that would be a laughable statement, they don't sound one bit like each other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I know that song — do you actually mean that FNM ripped it off, or do you mean the song titles are mildly similar? If it's the former, I'm sorry, but that would be a laughable statement, they don't sound one bit like each other!

They spell Be Aggressive in it

Edit: I can't find the full version of the song on youtube to give it a listen

Beekay wrote: »
    They spell Be Aggressive in it

Edit: I can't find the full version of the song on youtube to give it a listen
    Not in the version I have of it, although mine is a live version (maybe Venice Beach, but not sure about that).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

That wasnt yesterday!:D I saw em there also - great gig.
    I was also at this gig great night :cool:
    also saw fnm at slane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't get me wrong, I love FNM but as we're talking about ripping off songs, the bass line in Collision sound pretty close to the riff of Rocket from the Crypt's On A Rope.

But as Tom Petty said when the Chilis released Dani California which sounded like his Mary Jane's Last Dance, "A lot of rock and roll songs sound alike".

Don't get me wrong, I love FNM but as we're talking about ripping off songs, the bass line in Collision sound pretty close to the riff of Rocket from the Crypt's On A Rope.

But as Tom Petty said when the Chilis released Dani California which sounded like his Mary Jane's Last Dance, "A lot of rock and roll songs sound alike".
    That's right, I noticed that the first time I heard On A Rope — which was after I heard Collision, even though it is chronologically pre-dated to Collision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 StonedEnigma

Been a massive FNM fan for years. I still have The "Real Thing" and "Angel Dust" on tape God bless us. Can't stop listening to "Kindergarten" off Angel Dust at the moment. Everything about it sums up Faith No More for me. And that's pretty hard to say in a few sentences! Stunning, original, exceptional atmospheric musicianship on all fronts. Loved seeing the old Vannessa Warwick interview/footage there...
    Was lucky enough to bag a ticket to see them at the Olympia...couldn't believe my luck getting to see 'em there:) Will never forget that, or seeing Mike Patton being thrown a Borat style "mankini" from someone in the crowd:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Theyve just announced a gig at a Brazilian festival so maybe some new material aint out of the question just yet, heres hopin anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Theyve just announced a gig at a Brazilian festival so maybe some new material aint out of the question just yet, heres hopin anyway! :pac:

True story :pac:

Yeah, mate from Chile e-mailed me on Tuesday that he heard FNM would be touring again, delighted! :D

tumblr_limwsyY7hD1qhq7iyo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I've said it before, their gig in Edinburgh in 2009 was probably the most incredible concert experience of my life both in terms of events and performance, and I really look forward to seeing these guys return to the UK (if that is going to be on the cards)

I'd be prepared to travel for these guys, maybe not South America because of the financial cost involved, but certainly the US, Canada or Europe would be fine.

I can only hope and pray that, regardless of any new material, a certain music festival in the UK is going to make efforts to book them as their headline act next year - leaving Pearl Jam, Van Halen, Faith No More and Motley Crue all free and available next Summer as big names for UK festivals...it will be one hell of a Summer

Billy Gould just Tweeted me! :eek: It feels awesome, I'm not going to pretend to play it cool, Billy is the reason why I play bass and one of my favourite musicians ever. This is ****ing huge to me!

I said how much I really love his album, Talking Book, and asked if he will be touring Europe, most importantly Ireland, with the new album and will FNM be coming too.
    He said;
    "I sincerely hope so." :D

I know it's only 4 words but who cares!?

Aw man, wish I lived in Chile!

This is mental, so Trey played with Mike for Mondo Cane; himself, Mike, Trevor Dunn and William Winant (touring drummer for the California tour all played together for John Zorn earlier this year, and now this?! Trey actually playing with FNM for the album be recorded, KFAD. Dare I say it..... A potential Mr. Bungle reunion perhaps!?

RandyMarshJizz_New_Skyrim_Trailer-s635x477-140227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just in case there's some prospective FNM fans reading this thread,HMV in Liffey Valley had a small pack that contains The Real Thing,Angel Dust,King For a Day......,Album of the Year and Live at Brixton on CD for €17. Excellent value if you're looking for an introduction to the band.

In case anyone hasn't seen this, probably the best TV performance of all time TFI 1997 Changed my approach to music forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was expecting El Rifle's video to be this:

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Just in case there's some prospective FNM fans reading this thread,HMV in Liffey Valley had a small pack that contains The Real Thing,Angel Dust,King For a Day......,Album of the Year and Live at Brixton on CD for €17. Excellent value if you're looking for an introduction to the band.
    Fucking bargain! I know what I'm putting in the Christmas hamper now! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I've said it before, their gig in Edinburgh in 2009 was probably the most incredible concert experience of my life both in terms of events and performance, and I really look forward to seeing these guys return to the UK (if that is going to be on the cards)

I was at that gig too, they were immense! such a joy to see them after thinking i'd missed my chance forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

El Rifle wrote: »
    In case anyone hasn't seen this, probably the best TV performance of all time TFI 1997 Changed my approach to music forever!

Chicken goujons, chips and beans.........

That's what I was eating that Friday watching FNM on TFI. Knife and fork were turned into temporary drumsticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vanjaqwq

They played there first gig since last year. Second last song seems to be a new tune or an unreleased song, I've certaintly never heard it before. Patton had only said in a recent interview that they hadn't talked about recording a new album. Patton alaways seems to keep his cards close to this chest regarding anything FNM.

www.newfaithnomore.com has the clip

Would fúcking love to be seeing Trey Spruance and KFAD being played live in Chile.

All white outfits this time round, cool, looks like one of Tomahawk's old attire. Wonder what the structure will be in for the Santiago gig with Trey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vanjaqwq

Think they are doing the album from front to back. Just Trey no Jon. Possible Bungle reunion on the cards? I die a happy man.

Ah well I know they'll be doing KFAD front to back, but I think it's questionable whether Trey and/or Jon will stay on in the gig, surely they'll play more than just the 14 songs from KFAD... And after not contacting each other since the California tour, this is their third show together [Mike & Trey] in the last one and a bit years; those being a gig with John Zorn (which also included Trevor Dunn and William Winnant - who toured on the California tour) and one of Mike's Mondo Cane gigs.

Edit: Mentioned the concert on my show this morning and closed off with a song from KFAD. :) It's our forth show and it was my first time playing FNM shockingly! My part of the show starts around the 31 minute mark here if you're interested in a listen - odd format to this weeks show.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Ah well I know they'll be doing KFAD front to back, but I think it's questionable whether Trey and/or Jon will stay on in the gig, surely they'll play more than just the 14 songs from KFAD... And after not contacting each other since the California tour, this is their third show together [Mike & Trey] in the last one and a bit years; those being a gig with John Zorn (which also included Trevor Dunn and William Winnant - who toured on the California tour) and one of Mike's Mondo Cane gigs.

Edit: Mentioned the concert on my show this morning and closed off with a song from KFAD. :) It's our forth show and it was my first time playing FNM shockingly! My part of the show starts around the 31 minute mark here if you're interested in a listen - odd format to this weeks show.

My guess is just the 14 songs with a couple of b-sides and that (new?) song which sounds like something they were workin on the KFAD era.

Lovin that Ice Cube number check yo self, cant beat a bit of old school hip hop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

It's probably more accurate to say that both lifted it from a years old American football cheerleader chant. In fact didn't marylin Manson do the same thing, and have cheerleaders in the video?

• Advertisement

It's probably more accurate to say that both lifted it from a years old American football cheerleader chant. In fact didn't marylin Manson do the same thing, and have cheerleaders in the video?
    Correct, "Be Obscene" or something like that??

Advertisement