Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No justice in this country

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sorry, I jumped in before I saw that a lot of other people had suggested sueing the guys as well.

You're never going to get the cost of the dental treatment from a criminal case.

The Criminal Case is societies way of dealing with the scumbag and has nothing to do with your brother getting the money to pay for the damage to his face. As you said the result of the criminal ase would be a slap on the wrist. SO be it.

To recover the cost of the treatment you have to sue the scumbag. And its easy to do because he will already have been found guilty in the criminal case (you have to persue that first).

The only way he'll get away with it is if you let him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Sue him.

He should pay every penny of the treatment plus your lawyers costs.

How easy is it to actually recover damages following a successful civil claim in Ireland particularly when the defendant has (or claims to have) no assets ?
    the justice system in this country is broken , it needs re examining. complete tools will always get away with crap like this.

Irish citizens are supposed to be equal before the law but how can this be when some citizens have less of a stake in society and therefore less to fear from the law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Jesus, that's terrrible OP.

Seen this happen to many times, this sort of crap makes my blood boil, especially with how little the gardaí can/will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Thanks everyone for helpful advice and kind words.

Just a few comments I want to make:

1) Unfortunately I cannot do anything to help. I'm not even in the country, didn't witness it, can't really assist in getting a court case against this guy. I feel so strongly about it though and am really encouraging my brother to do what he can.

2)Most of the witnesses are the same age or younger than my brother - so 16/17/18. My mother has said that some of the parents have called and told her straight out they don't want their sons getting involved for fear of consequences. I can't really blame them as the things this f**cker is capable of, its very frightening.
    When I made the point to my brother that one or two squad cars are always outside the night club in the town at closing time, he told me only 2 or 3 weeks they were waiting for a taxi and a full blown fight broke out with a woman getting a dig in the middle of it and the cops didnt even get out of the car. There is NO protection.
    I can't blame the kids for being scared. And things like this don't get forgotten - even if it was 2 or 3 years on they could likely get a hiding. Drink does that to people. People go out looking for fights as my brother's assault and some of the other stories on this thread have shown. These are just good decent kinds from respectable hard working families who are trying to go through life with their heads down staying out of trouble.
    I grew up in the town and sometimes I think the girls are worse than the boys. One of my last (rare) weekends out there before I emigrated, I saw 2 women in their 40s/50s fighting girls of 23/4 full on in the street outside the nightclub, ripping chunks of hair out, one of him had her dress up around her waist in the scuffle. Then out of nowhere a 12 or 13 yr old girl comes running out of nowhere and starts fighting too, she was one of the older women's daughters - on the street at 3am! Nice.

3) The Gardai have advised us that a slap on the wrist is the most likely consequence if the case even gets to court and that depends on witness statements. I am not basing my information on hear say. When my brother gave his statement, this is what he and my mother were told.

4) For the poster who said the Gardai cant do the standing up. I feel strongly about that. He walked the town covered in my brothers blood illegally drinking cider on the streets and they didn't as much as take him in for questioning when they had to call the ambulance and were told by my brother's friends who the assault was carried out by. WTF!!

5) I don't have any information about the civil court process. My own reckoning would be this guy will claim to have nothing - can the court still award thousands in damages when he's a social welfare case??

6) One of the first things I said to my brother was that when he starts college in September all going well, he won't even care about going out in our home town. Tried to cheer him up. But at the same time, why should he feel afraid to go out and about in his home town. He does a 6-10 shift in the supermarket and is currently worrying about walking out of the shop and to his car. Not just going out, even to work. That's no way to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Stories like these frustrate the fcuk outta me because i know nothing will be done, id get great pleasure in hearing that the lil sh1t got a hammer to his head and before people say thats abit extreme well its not. These lil scumbags need to learn the hardway and if they gonna be going around acting like rambo well then they should be prepared for the worse.anyway op goodluck but you are right more than likely he will get a slap on the wrist and will come out all rosey thinking he is the don with his court apperance...he doesnt seem to be the most brightest scumbag so maybe karma will reach him soon enough hopefully!!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Update:
    We have one person willing to give a witness statement. 1/14 but hopefully will be enough for the superintendent to proceed with a court case.

But the gardai can't arrest him until next monday or tuesday until all the paperwork is put together! I find this to be madness. He'll have a whole bank holiday weekend to wreak havoc on the streets - a week and 3 days after the actual assault!

But won't complain, at least they're getting the finger out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

Disgraceful, the loitering B***tards! Hate those scumbags intimidating people.
    This country has no justice so it's easy to be a criminal. Bring in the crime penalities from China Iraq and Africa and let's see if the scumbags will be brave to commit crime again, Justice served;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Its all been said OP but i can feel myself tense up in rage reading stories like this because tbh your brother sounds very much like me at that age though luckily i was never involved in any major incidents.

Sad though it is to say, resorting to violence in what supposed to be a society secured by the police may be necessary. If the Guards are unwilling as they seem to be then theres only one means of justice which in fairness might actually teach the little fcuker a lesson if he thinks he can stroll around the town spouting off about being untouchable.

I cant say what i'd do in your brothers position but i can tell you what i'd like to do, if nothing at all is done your brother isnt going to be any safer for it and it only teachs the scumbag that he can do what he wants not only in front of the whole town but literally in front of the police station as well. You and your family sound upset OP but if nothing is done at all about this it would be a travesty.

On a similar note the friends and their parents are cowards, the guards can be blamed til everyone is blue in the face but if nobody will even work with them then whats to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

hope your brother is ok - what i can guarantee , is there is a bigger lout in the town , who will give this toerag , the hiding he deserves - bullies are riddled with fear themselves - what goes around comes around - hard men dont pounce on innocent strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dvin59

orestes wrote: »
    Call Joe Duffy or get a blog

Who is Joe Duffy? Sorry about question I'm not irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do they not have Google outside of Ireland these days? Its a lot less hassle than having to make an account, activate the account then sign in and ask an idiotic question tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Thargor wrote: »
    Do they not have Google outside of Ireland these days? Its a lot less hassle than having to make an account, activate the account then sign in and ask an idiotic question tbh...

In a 3 year old thread aswell. Some amount of stupid replies on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

dvin59 wrote: »
    Who is Joe Duffy? Sorry about question I'm not irish.

Hi,
    Welcome to boards. As a general rule, we ask users not to bump old threads. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement