Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No justice in this country

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

So just needed to rant as I am so angry!
    My baby brother (18) was assaulted in our home town over the weekend by a complete scum of the earth ratbag (20), he walked up to him just outside a GARDA STATION and headbutted him into the face, driving some of his front teeth up into the roof of his mouth, breaking some of his teeth, splitting his lip open.
    Apparently he was drinking in the park with a gang of his scumbag friends, and was drunk and off his head on something. My brother had to be rushed a considerable distance to cork hospital for emergency dental surgery and treatement. Has been told it will take more surgery, root canal treatement to get his teeth anyway right.

My brother didn't even know the guy who attacked him, he was acting the big man in front of his scummer friends and assaulted him for no reason. My brother was brought straight into the garda station by his friends where they called an ambulance. I have to say, my brother is an absolute softie, a real harmless guy - I have other brothers to compare him to! It made my blood boil. He's a Leaving Cert Student so he's studying like mad, doesnt venture out a lot.

Well the Gardai have said that even if it gets to court - we could probably expect the guy to get a "slap on the wrists" and a E150 fine!! And to get it to court, my brother's friends would need to give witness statements. When the most likely court outcome is the above, it is hardly worth his friends giving statements against this guy when he will probably terrorise them for it leading up to court and afterwards. They are all afraid.
    The cost of the dental treatment (which we have been told to expect to be thousands) isnt even the worst part, my poor brother was choking on his own blood and had to endure a 2 hour journey to hospital, is now in considerable pain and is afraid to go outside the door.

Makes me sick that this scum of the earth will probably get away with it as he seems to be above the law. I might add this isn't the first time he's been in trouble, he seems to have a record.

There is no justice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

ill get straight on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Sure tis awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

If that happened to me, I wouldn't think twice about goin after the guy who did it and givin him a good swing back in return. Your brother doesn't seem like the kinda guy to do that though (never mind that it'd be a silly-arse thing to do anyways).

Ah well though, at least ye can be safe in the knowledge that the fine'll probably cost them the best part of a week's worth of dole. :rolleyes:

This isnt the first time this has happened to someone either, something has to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

jesus thats terrible :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Any CCTV on the Garda Station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I hear you op.

My aunt's house was broken into the other day when she was at work. They took all her jewelry. The bit she was most upset about was that they got my grandmother's engagement ring. My grandmother died just before Christmas, and she lived with my aunt who is just getting used to not having her around.

The guards say the ring is either melted down by now, or already out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Pity it wasnt a normally law abiding citizen that hit him, they go after them good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Call Joe Duffy or get a blog

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Its so sickening that the scum of the earth do what they want and face no consequences while the victims have to live in fear and get no justice -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

It's a bit sickening alright, especially as it was unprovoked. Hopefully it doesn't knock your brother's confidence. Being seen out again having a good time without batting an eyelid at the thug is as good as fining him. He'll get his comeuppance one day when he hits the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

No was just obscured from the cameras. The guy was wandering the main street of the town for the rest of the night swigging out of a bottle of linden village with my brothers blood on his top and the Gardai "couldnt arrest him without a statement from my brother and witness statements".

When he's able to talk properly I'm sure he'll give a statement......not that it'll do much good. Grrrrr:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Ah sure the poor fella who did it to him is probably from a "disadvantaged" background.

We spend far too much time, money and effort babysitting scumbags in this country and treating them like victims. Cut this scobes benefits completely (100% garaunteed he's on the dole/disability) and **** him in a cell for 23 hours a day for 5-10 years for the assault.

It's a bit sickening alright, especially as it was unprovoked. Hopefully it doesn't knock your brother's confidence. Being seen out again having a good time without batting an eyelid at the thug is as good as fining him. He'll get his comeuppance one day when he hits the wrong person.

I think he would rather have had his confidence knocked instead of his teeth knocked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

amybabes wrote: »
    had to endure a 2 hour journey to hospital,

Even if you live in rural West Limerick l, I'm struggling to think of anywhere in Ireland two hours from a hospital.

I know Clare and Tipp North lost services but even there it's not two hours to Limerick

I don't want to be that one awkward poster and I'm not here to pick holes

Just I'm concerned to read of an area in Ireland two hours from a hospital. With a heart attack or serious road accident may be a death sentance.
    As a local I know about coverage in Tipp North and how Limerick regional manages the mid-west

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Their should be a national scumbag hunting day once a month. Gather up aload of people, give them guns and pick-up trucks, then hunt these scummy b**tards to the death. It would do society a huge favor. Not like anything gets done by the justice system. A few weeks in jail and they are out again free to re-offend like they always do. Bullet to the head would solve that.

Yeah is a dole candidate alright, probably has no intention of working a day in his life! And would be taking after his father and uncles in that sense.

My brother works part time in a local supermarket with his mother, and he said she's a nice quiet woman. He feels that he couldn't face her if he went back to work. How messed up is that!!?? He's ashamed of what HER son did to him unprovoked!!

I don't care how nice and quiet a woman she is, if it was the other way around my mother would have my brother marched down to the cop shop to own up to what he did. It would be the same for any of us.

The main problem is parents making excuses for their kids and defending things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yakult wrote: »
    Their should be a national scumbag hunting day once a month. Gather up aload of people, give them guns and pick-up trucks, then hunt these scummy b**tards to the death. It would do society a huge favor. Not like anything gets done by the justice system. A few weeks in jail and they are out again free to re-offend like they always do. Bullet to the head would solve that.

Wouldnt this make the people doing it scumbag murders?

- I've heard it a lot here but cutting peoples welfare everytime they get a convixtion would make them think twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

There is no justice, one of the first things they tell you when you are in court is that courts are a place of law, not a place of justice.

What are your options:
    1) Give statements and let the Garda deal with it.
    2) Do nothing - and re-enforce the untouchability of the attacker.
    3) Baseball bat to his face and burn his house down.

Even if you live in rural West Limerick l, I'm struggling to think of anywhere in Ireland two hours from a hospital.

I know Clare and Tipp North lost services but even there it's not two hours to Limerick

Just I'm concerned to read of an area in Ireland two hours from a hospital. With a heart attack or serious road accident may be a death sentance.
    As a local I know about coverage in Tipp North and how Limerick regional manages the mid-west

It was a dental problem, so they had to find a hospital that could deal with emergency dental issues. There's probably not a lot of them.

And the two hours could be from when he was hit, going into the cop-shop, dealing with the cops, waiting for the ambulance and getting to dental hospital.

• Advertisement

yeah we're like 30 mins from Waterford hospital / 20 mins from a smaller one. They had nobody on duty to deal with the surgery that was required. That could be a thread in itself!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

No was just obscured from the cameras. The guy was wandering the main street of the town for the rest of the night swigging out of a bottle of linden village with my brothers blood on his top and the Gardai "couldnt arrest him without a statement from my brother and witness statements".

thats the madness of the law I tell ya.
    My dad always said, if you p*ss up a laneway you get done :rolleyes: but then you see sh*t like this and how the law are powerless to act without a statement / witnesses :rolleyes:

stoneill wrote: »
    There is no justice, one of the first things they tell you when you are in court is that courts are a place of law, not a place of justice.

What are your options:
    1) Give statements and let the Garda deal with it.
    2) Do nothing - and re-enforce the untouchability of the attacker.
    3) Baseball bat to his face and burn his house down.

no.3 id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

So just needed to rant as I am so angry!
    My baby brother (18) was assaulted in our home town over the weekend by a complete scum of the earth ratbag (20), he walked up to him just outside a GARDA STATION and headbutted him into the face, driving some of his front teeth up into the roof of his mouth, breaking some of his teeth, splitting his lip open.
    Apparently he was drinking in the park with a gang of his scumbag friends, and was drunk and off his head on something. My brother had to be rushed a considerable distance to cork hospital for emergency dental surgery and treatement. Has been told it will take more surgery, root canal treatement to get his teeth anyway right.

My brother didn't even know the guy who attacked him, he was acting the big man in front of his scummer friends and assaulted him for no reason. My brother was brought straight into the garda station by his friends where they called an ambulance. I have to say, my brother is an absolute softie, a real harmless guy - I have other brothers to compare him to! It made my blood boil. He's a Leaving Cert Student so he's studying like mad, doesnt venture out a lot.

Well the Gardai have said that even if it gets to court - we could probably expect the guy to get a "slap on the wrists" and a E150 fine!! And to get it to court, my brother's friends would need to give witness statements. When the most likely court outcome is the above, it is hardly worth his friends giving statements against this guy when he will probably terrorise them for it leading up to court and afterwards. They are all afraid.
    The cost of the dental treatment (which we have been told to expect to be thousands) isnt even the worst part, my poor brother was choking on his own blood and had to endure a 2 hour journey to hospital, is now in considerable pain and is afraid to go outside the door.

Makes me sick that this scum of the earth will probably get away with it as he seems to be above the law. I might add this isn't the first time he's been in trouble, he seems to have a record.

There is no justice
    This is fcukin typical of this country.Scum prosper while normal, average, folk toil with taxes etc. The scumbags get immunity while decent folk suffer.The system is shoite. I feel your pain OP.I despair for the future of this country.Hope your brother is ok.Same thing happens everywhere.I was headbutted one night for absoloutely no reason.They do it coz theres no punishment even if theyre caught.Scummy little cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

What level of scumbag are you talking about OP. Just general scumbag or serious crime scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

Are you equally vociferous OP when greater injustices take place that don't affect you or yours? Main problem with society in general -selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

When I was about 17 I had the ****e kicked out of me by 5 lads but they didn't get anything off me. The worst thing was that it was on a bus and not one person helped me. When the bus came to the last stop everyone just got off and let them carry on trying to rob me. I never reported it or anything but I'm almost glad it happened now because If I ever see someone being attacked like this I'm going to help them (though I think I would even without this happening to me). People will say don't try and be a hero or whatever but I really don't care even if I do get a beating. These kinds of people need to know that others aren't just going to take it. There's a chance that it will be you next time.
    I think if people are repeated offenders that jail time should be minimum 5 years. I think there will always be some of this kind of thing though with 18 year olds and what not and they'll get some cop on evertually. I know a few people who were always fighting but really changed as they got older and a bit of sense.

Console wrote: »
    thats the madness of the law I tell ya.
    My dad always said, if you p*ss up a laneway you get done :rolleyes: but then you see sh*t like this and how the law are powerless to act without a statement / witnesses :rolleyes:

It was said he was walking around the town openly drinking a bottle of cider and was pissed. He could easily have been locked up for that. The guards may not have been able to have hold him for assault but it'd have gotten him off the streets and stopped him from attacking anyone else.

Which was the entire point of Giuliana's "Zero Tolerance" policy in New York. Instead of concentrating on bigger crimes, they used minor violations to break up any kind of behaviour that could possibly develop into something bigger. So if a few guys were having beers outside their front doors they were fined and told to get off the streets. This prevented a drunken fight breaking out between neighbours in the street later, which prevented shootings and murders and the like. Obviously, it ****ed over a lot of honest and decent people who were sitting on their porch having a quiet beer, but it did lower the amount of bigger crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

People need to learn to fight and prepare themselves for the future, stuff like this is becoming more common place and things are just going to get worse in every way imaginable, the end is nigh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

yeah we're like 30 mins from Waterford hospital / 20 mins from a smaller one. They had nobody on duty to deal with the surgery that was required. That could be a thread in itself!!:rolleyes:
    if you get a heart attack in kilrush,Kilkee etc. Co clare(im not from there btw;))the ambulance has to come from ennis and take you to limerick.(if you have the misfortune to have a heart attack after 8 o clock).Basically-your dead.Thats the Irish Health System.Its a long drive from Kilkee to Limerick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement