Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Hey all,

was just wondering what anybody could tell me about the huntball that goes on each year?

My son is looking to go this year, and I know nothing about it, so any info much appreciated! Ie..how much? Dress code? Where to get tickets? Ticket cost? Ask a date or go with friends? Non-alcohol?

Thanks for any help

Just saw this. The Hunt Ball won't be until next Spring, so I presume you are talking about the Tipps Junior Hunt Ball that happens earlier in the season?

As for dress code, if it's anything like the junior hunt balls when I was a younglad it's a smart dress code: dresses for girls, and at least shirts and ties for the boys. And it's technically non-alcoholic, yes.

I don't know who specifically is running the junior ball but if you are still interested drop me a PM and I'll give you the contact details for someone who works for the hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Anyone know why they are re-doing the footpaths by the presentation primary school?

Seems like a complete waste of money to me as those footpaths were ok. If they were looking to spend their budget before the end of the year could they not have improved Marystone Mall?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

alexmcred wrote: »
    Anyone know why they are re-doing the footpaths by the presentation primary school?

Seems like a complete waste of money to me as those footpaths were ok. If they were looking to spend their budget before the end of the year could they not have improved Marystone Mall?

Most likely as part of the flood works,wasn't that area flooded?paths are probably in bits from flood water?

dahat wrote: »
    Most likely as part of the flood works,wasn't that area flooded?paths are probably in bits from flood water?

Paths were fine there where they are replacing them. There are much worse footpaths around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

On the subject of footpaths, I notice that there is planning permission submitted to extend the footpath and cycle path from Heywood Road up the bypass as far as the Cahir road roundabout. A good thing I think.Lighting the whole stretch would e good to but in the current climate probably too much to ask for.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    On the subject of footpaths, I notice that there is planning permission submitted to extend the footpath and cycle path from Heywood Road up the bypass as far as the Cahir road roundabout. A good thing I think.Lighting the whole stretch would e good to but in the current climate probably too much to ask for.

And a tarmac path for us who run the bypass,nice soft surface!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Kate Ryan's pub has closed. Current ownership getting involved with Phoenix Bar I hear. Ryan's will be opened up again I reckon.
    They seem to have brought a few of Kate's customers with them as well.
    I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Anyone know what's going into the o Connell mall.I see a bit of a clear out of the old shop fittings during the week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DT100 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going into the o Connell mall.I see a bit of a clear out of the old shop fittings during the week.

They're prob just gutting it and modernizing it on the inside to make it a more appealing place to lease out.

Anyone know if Clonmel Og allow people to run around the pitches?
    Non Members like.......

Usually use powerstown but need a flat level easy surface as i recovring from injury.......roads are not an option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Non Members like.......

Usually use powerstown but need a flat level easy surface as i recovring from injury.......roads are not an option

I've often used Clonmel Og's field and never had a problem using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Non Members like.......

What about the Clonmel Town Complex,good soft track there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

lockie1983 wrote: »
    They're prob just gutting it and modernizing it on the inside to make it a more appealing place to lease out.

I've heard that its been leased, as has the former Birthday's unit on the corner of Gladstone Street/O'Connell Street. By all accounts we could be seeing two more UK high street shops in town, great for the town centre.

tippspur wrote: »
    What about the Clonmel Town Complex,good soft track there.

Only 250 metres round......ya would get dizzy there but is a soft surface yes

I've often used Clonmel Og's field and never had a problem using it.

Lovely,will try it this week...Hopefully i wont be barred!!

archtech wrote: »
    I've heard that its been leased, as has the former Birthday's unit on the corner of Gladstone Street/O'Connell Street. By all accounts we could be seeing two more UK high street shops in town, great for the town centre.

Great news if true, but I'll believe it when I see it, especially after how long Bank of Ireland in O'Connell Street sat idle. But I really hope I'm wrong! :D

Great news if true, but I'll believe it when I see it, especially after how long Bank of Ireland in O'Connell Street sat idle. But I really hope I'm wrong! :D

All the necessary statutory applications (planning Fire Cert etc) have been made , so there must be a series chance of it been occupied, as any expenditure on the building would not have been incurred if an end result wasn't likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

A lot of people on the council must have died if there is actually more shops going to open in Clonmel you can't imagine how much planning permission was refused because fear of competition form shop owners over the last 15 years

boiledeggs wrote: »
    A lot of people on the council must have died if there is actually more shops going to open in Clonmel you can't imagine how much planning permission was refused because fear of competition form shop owners over the last 15 years

Care to elaborate, Clonmel is one of the few towns with Dunne Stores, Tesco, Superquinn, M & S, Supervalu, Aldi and Lidl all competing for the same catchment shoppers.

Any refusals of retail developments have been by An Board Pleanala not the local planners, with the exception of the original showgrounds application and a proposal for a second Aldi Store.

It is however fair to say that a number of the "developers" have engaged in petty objections to An Board Pleanala, some of which have been successful.

Big problem Clonmel has always had is very high rents for property in the town itself. It also doesn't help that the Council never reviewed rates in line with the downward trend of turnover a lot of businesses have experienced but in this respect it is not alone.

• Advertisement

alexmcred wrote: »
    Big problem Clonmel has always had is very high rents for property in the town itself. It also doesn't help that the Council never reviewed rates in line with the downward trend of turnover a lot of businesses have experienced but in this respect it is not alone.

I agree 100% with that post, the high rent set by the owner of the O'Connell Mall drove all of the businesses in there out, including the delicious Dick's Deli. The guys from Golden Discs were telling me, its cheaper to rent the much larger lot in the showgrounds than it was in O'Connell Street.

While I understand the passing trade wouldn't be the same, it is just for pure greed that caused him to hike up the rent. They should have broker a deal for the loyal businesses that had been renting off him for years.

The County Council are also a disgrace with the Commercial rates, last year they increased the rates for the businesses in the town centre, which is madness when their trade is down.

I agree 100% with that post, the high rent set by the owner of the O'Connell Mall drove all of the businesses in there out, including the delicious Dick's Deli. The guys from Golden Discs were telling me, its cheaper to rent the much larger lot in the showgrounds than it was in O'Connell Street.
    Most letting concluded within the last 2-3 years, have been far more favourable to the tenants than in the past. Many are getting discounted deals in the showgrounds from what I've heard. And its happened elsewhere in the town too in the recent past.
    While I understand the passing trade wouldn't be the same, it is just for pure greed that caused him to hike up the rent. They should have broker a deal for the loyal businesses that had been renting off him for years.
    The owership of the O'Connell Mall changed hands during the latter years of the boom, as far as I know for mad money, so obviously the owners wanted a return on their investment, little did they think that there was a recession around the corner. It would properly have a good occupancy still had it not been bought, and still have reasonable rents. At the end of the day most developers are nothing other than gamblers by another name.
    The County Council are also a disgrace with the Commercial rates, last year they increased the rates for the businesses in the town centre, which is madness when their trade is down.

Are you surprised really, local government (and central government) are out of touch and seldom see the bigger picture, in that lower rates might actually see more property occupied, paying affordable rates and encourage growth than putting pressure on existing business. The elected officials have a big part to play in the rates, as they ultimately decide it. Have to agree it is off the wall stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭galteeboy

Am working in Clonmel and thinking of joining a gym as need to stay in shape but dont know which one would be the best choice. Hoping that someone here could help

galteeboy wrote: »
    Am working in Clonmel and thinking of joining a gym as need to stay in shape but dont know which one would be the best choice. Hoping that someone here could help

Personally I think the Clonmel Swimming Pool gym is the best, there's a separate cardio and a separate weights room, you can purchase single or monthly tickets so you're not tied into an annual fee.

Saying that I know the other gyms in town have come down in price. I just prefer the Clonmel Swimming Pool gym for its location and the monthly tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

The two new stores coming to Clonmel town Centre are Holland & Barrett and the British discount store Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Another pound shop. Hurrah.

Royco wrote: »
    The two new stores coming to Clonmel town Centre are Holland & Barrett and the British discount store Dealz.

Weird choice of shops, but good news for the town in general!

Holland & Barrett will be a good addition but I think the town is saturated in discount stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dave..

The O'Connell Mall, Birthdays and The River Island building among others are owned by the same people. Then also bought up property in other towns when the Celtic Tiger was roaring and the banks were handing out money for fun. There is 2 or 3 involved, one is from Clonmel and has a Opticians that often have 2 for 1 offers.

Like it was already mentioned Holland & Barrett are going into Birthdays and a large English discount store is going into the O'Connell Mall (99p Store).

Someone mentioned another discount store Dealz. I think that is going into the old Tesco centre but as far as I know that is not meant to be open till next March. The owner of that building won't be too impressed if the O'Connell Mall discount store opens first.

Anyway as for the town centre itself its looking more and more like an English High Street every year.

• Advertisement

dave.. wrote: »
    Anyway as for the town centre itself its looking more and more like an English High Street every year.

Unfortunately that is the way most Irish towns are heading.

Advertisement