Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Good post and nail on the head regarding our elected reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

"By the way one thing that also should be mentioned is the utter scumbag behaviour in vandalising the area. Some in clonmel prefer to criticise the authorities solely rather than call out the shithousery that’s going on with the scumbags on the street."

True, Kanye.

Forget about incentives, free parking, increased investment etc. UNTIL effective policing is enacted. I know I'm whistling a familiar tune here but until the Gardaí up their game big time in the centre of Clonmel, we are lost.

Remember in the aftermath of a public meeting out at Moyle Rovers when the Super got roasted by the people out there for a perceived lack of action, we had a few weeks of Guards on the beat, especially in that problematic area between Dealz in O' Connell Street and the Mary Street Car Park. We had a raid on a halting site, which looks now like it was a bit of a PR exercise to quieten people down.

There was an incident in a shop on Connell Street last Saturday when two children from a Nomadic Ethnic Community burst into the shop roaring and shouting and threatening the person working there and another person (a customer). The kids locked themselves and the two others IN to the shop and stayed for some time, continuing to scream, shout and threaten.

The Guards were called. Response time? THREE HOURS! From a station maybe 200 metres away.

Why in the name of God would you go into business on the main street of the major town in this county, with all the associated costs of doing so, when something like that is a reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I agree about the gurriers, when did the bar go so low that this behaviour is seen as normal. Arrest them and have consequences for unruly/criminal behaviour. They have no fear of the Gardai or anyone for that matter.

In relation to Lidl going into Market Place - my info says they wanted to but the co co wouldn’t give them free parking - the car park opposite the cinema. Nothing to do with Musgraves not wanting to sell/lease to them. Why wouldn’t the co co give them free car parking for their customers, it would have revitalised the space.

I’m not sure on the councils position but my info says that the owners of the building were not prepared to sell or lease the building.

you are right about the anti social behaviour. There is an element in clonmel who seek to almost normalise this scummy behaviour and blame the consequences on everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭2 fast

In relation to Lidl going into Market Place - my info says they wanted to but the co co wouldn’t give them free parking - the car park opposite the cinema. Nothing to do with Musgraves not wanting to sell/lease to them. Why wouldn’t the co co give them free car parking for their customers, it would have revitalised the space.

I've heard this as well.

It isn't the first time superquinn/ supervalu tried to buy the carpark and coco wouldn't allow them.

It was the same with Tesco & St Mary's carpark.

They won't part with the revenue from the carparks or whatever there reasoning is.

• Advertisement

Why would SuperValu want to buy the car park though. They were never going to keep 2 large shops open in Clonmel when there are so many other large retailers about.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭2 fast

I meant that they were the same place just in case people didn't know, sorry for the confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Lightscribe

Accordong to this article the units are owned by an investment firm called Remcoll who have no connection good bad or indifferent to the town unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

I notice that the derelict house at the entrance to Love Lane on teh Cashel Road has been fenced off with security fencing.

I'm guessing it is connected to the fact that they are building houses in behind there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

What statistics are you asking about, I dont have any statistics to the points I listed. My source is from chatting to locals which I'm not naming ... obviously!!

Regarding the rest of the points, I too feel sorry for addicts too. Many get into it though mental health or depression problems and of course not everyone wants a clinic outside next door to where they live. Also I think so very good point made about the Gardai and of course the politicians.

Its sad to see things going this way in such a fine town. My own town has some serious problems of its own (Tipp town) but people are working hard to try and makes changes and its a touch battle.

• Advertisement

About feckin time - I heard that there was approved planning for 360 houses at Glenconnor, near the garden centre - they need to deliver houses/accommodation now, not a plan for the never never. What about that building on the corner of King Street, diagonally from the Crescent - why aren't these long derelict buildings put to better use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Have they broken ground on the houses up in Crann Ard yet?

How many houses being build up there?

I have my doubts now about who actually put up the security fencing. I now suspect it was the travellers, the ones who have their horses in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I hear that the "local hero's" were out again over the weekend. Causing considerable damage at the new Sports Hub. Some windows were broken and also some graffiti on some walls.

I don't think it's even open yet. Certainly not a good start.

Ironically these are the types of facilities that the "do good brigade" will complain about when the complain about the lack of facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Went for a walk tonight with the other half. Went through market place just to see the damage. Every shop has either a broken window or an open door. Very creepy. The walking dead are definitely living in these units. What's happening with our town.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The new Lidl is opening the 23rd!

Does anybody know what might be going into the Café/restaurant unit?

Insomnia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

I can't remember off hand but it was a big amount on few different sites around the current houses. Planning notice has been up for well over 18 months so surely it can be long before they start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭bmc58

Can only see more traffic cahos on Queen St from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Whole I was out for a spin on the mountain bike this morning around Cannon Hill and Careys Castle area, I came across a dead horse just down from the main Careys Castle car park on the bend as you head down towards the river. There was still a rope tied to it's back legs, obvious after being pulled off a trailer or horse box. While not trying to jump to conclusions I think it's safe to say who is responsible for this.

For those who aren't local to the area there is usually 10"s if not 100's of people walking there every weekend including many young kids.

Absolute scum..

Does anyone know what happened in outside Lidl on the Waterford road on Saturday morning?

Three ambulances and a helicopter were in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

Anyone know what the 5G coverage is like in the centre of Clonmel? Which of the providers might have the best service in yer opinion?

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

A man collapsed with a suspected heart attack.

Emergency services were in attendance very quickly

Poor man. He must have injured himself as there were some blood stains on the pedestrian crossing. Let's hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

I’m on VF and I get 5G practically everywhere in the Center of clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭decies

Recently last few days got 5g added to my I phone 14 pro on three . Seems very good 5g around Clonmel .Think I clocked about 230 mb on top of M +S car park

Must say the new Lidl is a lovely job really tastefully finished and a real enhancement to the area.

Isn't funny how it's exactly the same as the one on the Waterford road but in mirror image.

Did someone say Insomnia was the coffee franchise moving in?

• Advertisement

Yes it’s insomnia going in there. It’s a really tidy job in fairness.

Advertisement