Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭bmc58

Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

This is his number if you want to ring or WhatsApp.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

I was heading up the cashel road saturday morning, heading for Mollys recyling centre. I pulled up to the roundabout, tipp tyres on my left, another car pulled up beside me, we both moved off and the driver of the other car decide to join me in going up the hill. Scared the Sh*t out of me. really wasn't expecting it. Cut me right up. Had slam on the brakes, we get it a lot from the approach. are roundabouts that difficulty to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

It happens.

Normally straight ahead keeps in the left lane, but if you were to off towards Cahir, the Cahir Road roundabout requires straight ahead to be in teh right lane.

You were in the right but as always just be aware and expect the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭decies

Water gone in clerihan ?? Surrounding areas ??

• Advertisement

Only if you're coming down the hill from Abbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The right lane coming down the hill from Abbott Is for right turn only onto the N24 west. It’s not for straight on where you cut back across the traffic from the left lane.

Speaking of traffic, the traffic light sequence at the Cashel Road/Queen St. junction has changed.

Now the lights or set such that traffic is held at red coming out of Cashel St. if its is showing green for traffic coming down the Cashel Hill, and vice versa. Previously it was green in both directions.

Every time, and I mean every time I have been walking past that junction at least one or two cars break that red light.

What are you talking about?That is what I said.How often do you use that roundabout?I use it daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think there was any "signage" or road markings coming to the roundabout from the Cashel side.

Your correct. But would the normal

rules of the road not dictate in this case?

According to the AA, you can in some circumstances use the right lane to go straight ahead. And not just to turn right only.

"When there’s no signage, the ”golden rule” in the Rules of the Road is to picture the roundabout as a clock with your entrance as 6 o’clock. If you’re taking any exit between 6 and 12, stay in the left lane. Going straight ahead (exiting at 12), you can use either lane – generally keep left, but if there is a long queue turning left, then you can take the right lane. If your exit is after 12 o’clock (ie. any exit to the right), then approach the roundabout in the right lane."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The problem with that is the assumption all the traffic queuing in the left lane is turning left, by taking the right lane you might well enter the roundabout at the same time as someone also intending to go straight on (12 o'clock) from the left lane. I think that's poor advice and should only apply if there are two lanes at the exit and signage and road markings make it clear.

I wouldn't disagree with what you're saying tbh, however I was just pointing out that it's not as black and white as was stated. This is an issue at few of the roundabout in town, however its particularly bad at that roundabout due the the volume of traffic turning left. In the absence of directional marking it opens up a grey area, which as we've seen will lead people to their own interpretation of the rules.

Even in the situation you described where 2.ars are going straight ahead (12 o clock) the car on the left has to give way to traffic on its right. Which can lead to arguments or worse accidents

In the case of two cars going straight ahead, one in the left lane and one in the right lane, the car in the right lane has absolutely no right of way. It has to enter the left lane to exit straight ahead and if it collides with a car already in that lane going straight ahead it is at fault.

You may well be 100% correct, would you have any links or official information to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Well there you have it, two different opinions, both thinking they are correct.

The road markings in 2009 should be re-introduced, but with adequate advance notice before the roundabout;

The car changing lane must give way to the car on the lane

I suppose you have to differentiate between the two points. 1st point is that you can use both lanes to go straight ahead (in certain circumstances). This seems to be correct.

The 2nd is, who has the right of way if both vehicles are going straight on.id agree with you that it should be the vehicle in changing lane should give way. But does the normal rule of "give way to traffic on the right" apply as its the normal rule in a roundabout.

I honestly don't know.

Apologies,I must have misread your post.All good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Just wondering if anyone has used IMS financial in town as mortgage brokers? Im looking for a mortgage broker and would love a recommendation! Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

Have you seen the state of Market Place recently? A disgrace.

Windows smashed on almost all of the unused units there. Doors forced open. Our tribe of undead junkies are apparently using some of it now for "rest and recreation".

Apparently, they had been using the Superquinn premises but have fouled that up and have moved on to Present Time as a base.

Honest to God, it'd break your heart to see it, right in the middle of town.

Not sure who the owner of it is now, but they or their Irish representatives don't seem too concerned about securing the units there.

Poor Clonmel really has become a run-down scum-town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Paddico

Is it true what I heard about Clonmel at the weekend?

Worst addiction problems outside of Dublin per head of population (mainly heroin)

People uncomfortable or afraid to go out during the day, never mind at night.

Poor Garda visibility.

Burglaries are very regular in the town centre.

High lever of problems with travellers.

Its my county town too though I hope its not all completely true.

It would be nice if you could supply a source for these statistics.

That being said there is an air of decay and neglect around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

Whoever bought marketplace should be heavily fined for not securing it properly. Why TF did they buy it if they're going to just let it rot?

I have some sympathy for people suffering from addiction, they are all people's sons and daughters and most of them local but I doubt congregating in that place is going to help anyone.

A few hundred metres from the garda station and council offices too, but hey, look over there, we have a plaza.

Go around the town center any day of the week and you will see addicts waiting near certain establishments to get their fixes.

What would you rather? no plaza?

I agree with all that’s been said about market place and the air of decay in the town at the moment. Like all town and city centres clonmel is suffering especially post covid. There are 2 gawping holes in the town centre market place and the Clonmel Arms. Both privately owned with landlords who are either unwilling or unable to do anything about them. Local politicians have failed the town also the election of no govt clonmel TD has crucified the place and despite having a couple of very good local cllrs in Murphy and Ambrose who at least attempt to promote the town we’ve too many anti everything’s elected. That of course and the loss of the borough council is not helping.

I'm not disputing at all the fact that drug dealing is happening openly in the town. It's just that statements like "worst addiction problems outside of Dublin per head of population" sounds like a study has been done somewhere which I'd like to see.

Clonmel has been represented for years with TD's outside the main parties. Before Mattie (Ind) we had Seamus Healy (Ind), whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.

It's not as if there isn't plenty of wealth around the town and no shortage of jobs (Abbott and Boston are always looking for people).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Sorry for long post / rant

Our representatives are useless, pure useless. What have they done for our town in the last 5 years? As I was going on radio in the last 6 mths, I asked a local councillor what was positive happening in Clonmel so I could promote the good as well as mention the bad. Mentioned was the sports hub on N24, Kickham Plaza and blueway expansion. That was it. Pure useless. Where’s the housing? Why weren’t the guards up at Market Place as its less than 5 mins from them and there should be pressure on absent landlords to either develop or sell. And what is going to happen to the traffic when Lidl opens on the Western Road? Chaos in situ, why weren’t they incentivised to move into Market Place? That would have totally revitalised Market Place? My understanding was they wanted free parking but Co Co said no - ffs, there are towns in Tipperary that dont have parking charges, why does this issue stop commercial investment? I’ll be attending the next co co meeting to see what these wasters actually do - a meeting that locals should be encouraged to attend but is held at 10am on a working day. I pay rates and I’m expecting something for my money.

• Advertisement

Agree with a lot of what you say but one thing. How could the council have incentivised LIdl to move into market place. They don’t own the old superquinn site. As far as I know it’s owned by Musgraves and they are not going to let a competitor in there for nothing. Even outside of that the council can’t force the owners to give their property to anyone. By the way one thing that also should be mentioned is the utter scumbag behaviour in vandalising the area. Some in clonmel prefer to criticise the authorities solely rather than call out the shithousery that’s going on with the scumbags on the street.

Advertisement