Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire vs. The Sopranos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ill never understand why the west wing is never incuded with these 2 shows, being the superior show and all like,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The Sopranos was and still is the greatest television show of all time. The Wire is a truly great show, but it has nothing on The Sopranos in terms of characters, humour and acting that could rival anything in the movies. Some of the storylines in The Sopranos just blew my mind. I liked The Wire and I wouldn't have anyone say that it's an average show or overrated, but it just isn't as good as The Sopranos. When I think of my favourite episode of The Sopranos and my favourite episode of The Wire, The Sopranos comes out on top easily.

Omar Little is a great character, but to compare him to someone like Christopher Moltisanti or even Tony himself, there is no comparison. Such powerful acting performances and brilliantly written, complex characters - Tony, Christopher, Paulie, Carmella, Junior, Janice, Vito, Melfi. It's just such a wealth of brilliant characters that are hilarious, sympathetic and repulsive all in one. The Wire just doesn't do it as well, in my opinion.

I always loved the scenes with Carmella and Tony. Such great acting, and a very dynamic couple. I always found Tony's relationship with Carmella interesting. She's the only person who was able to stand up to Tony in the way that she does and live to tell the tale. Throughout the whole series, he shouts at her and fights with her, but never lays a hand on her violence, and she gets away with telling him a few home truths that nobody else would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I don't understand why people are comparing the characters in The Wire and Sopranos. Its like comparing apples and oranges. The Wire is about how institutions affect people. It does this wonderfully however its depictions of the institutions is all the more greater.

Dublintellctual recently produced a wonderful night of The Wire which had four papers presented by mainly PhD students around Dublin. The amazing range of topics which the papers covered goes to show David Simon genius and so out does Sopranos on this front.

Sopranos may be more 'watchable' but it doesn't come close to the genius of the Wire.

FYI for those who think McNultys a dick he is in fact the principle (theres a few more) tragic hero of the show. Thats why it started with him and ended with him. Hes Oedipus. Hes has his faults like Oedipus but deep down he wants the right things. He is an excellent character.

The show will be studied for many years to come and this is why in my opinion it outdoes Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Have watched all of both and am watching the wire for a second time ,but i'd say the sopranos is slightly better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I have purposely avoided these type of shows from Sopranos, to the Wire and the West Wing, having never been able to catch them from the start so i didnt want to lessen the impact by catching random episodes here and there. But now, Ive finally been able to get my **** together and im starting from the top to work down. 5 episodes into the first series of sopranos, its all going super :D
    Im not really a telly addict but replacing random **** evenings of programs with an episode or two of the good stuff is working well.

From this thread it seems I should try and get my hands on The Corner, which Id never heard of before. Any others of similar strength. Is Oz worth it?

Question, I watch the first series of Lost and a couple of episodes from 2nd series then ditched it. Was I right or should I try again???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

darlett wrote: »
    Is Oz worth it?
    ?

IMO yes. I found it to be a great show. Great characters like Ryan O Reilly and his brother make it compelling viewing. I will say however, that in the later seasons the body count was a bit too high and unrealistic.

There is also a scene involving a spoon which will haunt you forever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

The Sopranos was and still is the greatest television show of all time. The Wire is a truly great show, but it has nothing on The Sopranos in terms of characters, humour and acting that could rival anything in the movies. Some of the storylines in The Sopranos just blew my mind. I liked The Wire and I wouldn't have anyone say that it's an average show or overrated, but it just isn't as good as The Sopranos. When I think of my favourite episode of The Sopranos and my favourite episode of The Wire, The Sopranos comes out on top easily.

Omar Little is a great character, but to compare him to someone like Christopher Moltisanti or even Tony himself, there is no comparison. Such powerful acting performances and brilliantly written, complex characters - Tony, Christopher, Paulie, Carmella, Junior, Janice, Vito, Melfi. It's just such a wealth of brilliant characters that are hilarious, sympathetic and repulsive all in one. The Wire just doesn't do it as well, in my opinion.

I always loved the scenes with Carmella and Tony. Such great acting, and a very dynamic couple. I always found Tony's relationship with Carmella interesting. She's the only person who was able to stand up to Tony in the way that she does and live to tell the tale. Throughout the whole series, he shouts at her and fights with her, but never lays a hand on her violence, and she gets away with telling him a few home truths that nobody else would.

yes i think i may have been hasty suggesting the characters in the wire were better

my top 2 all time shows anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Temaz wrote: »
    IMO yes. I found it to be a great show. Great characters like Ryan O Reilly and his brother make it compelling viewing. I will say however, that in the later seasons the body count was a bit too high and unrealistic.

There is also a scene involving a spoon which will haunt you forever!!!

Worrying spoon info there! One quote which has stuck with me for ever from my childhood movie watching is from Kevin Costners Robin Hood Prince of Thieves of 1991. Alan Rickman on typically elegant mad bastard form has just stabbed his cousin with a newly forged sword. As he holds the poor fellow who is trembling and quivering as hes about to pass away Alan sneers that "At least I didnt do it with a spoon".But having waited since the ripe old age of 7 Im unsure Im ready to see someone doing it with a spoon :P

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are comparing the characters in The Wire and Sopranos. Its like comparing apples and oranges. The Wire is about how institutions affect people. It does this wonderfully however its depictions of the institutions is all the more greater.

Dublintellctual recently produced a wonderful night of The Wire which had four papers presented by mainly PhD students around Dublin. The amazing range of topics which the papers covered goes to show David Simon genius and so out does Sopranos on this front.

Sopranos may be more 'watchable' but it doesn't come close to the genius of the Wire.

FYI for those who think McNultys a dick he is in fact the principle (theres a few more) tragic hero of the show. Thats why it started with him and ended with him. Hes Oedipus. Hes has his faults like Oedipus but deep down he wants the right things. He is an excellent character.

The show will be studied for many years to come and this is why in my opinion it outdoes Sopranos.

The Sopranos is studied as part of English literature in the University of Calgary in Canada, and is studied as part of Cinematic Studies in NYU, at least. They're the ones I know off the top of my head anyway. The Sopranos was a turning point in American television, a completely groundbreaking series, so I think it probably will be studied for years to come, even if it's just for that reason alone.

That's not even getting onto the actual depth that the show has.

The Sopranos is studied as part of English literature in the University of Calgary in Canada, and is studied as part of Cinematic Studies in NYU, at least. They're the ones I know off the top of my head anyway. The Sopranos was a turning point in American television, a completely groundbreaking series, so I think it probably will be studied for years to come, even if it's just for that reason alone.

That's not even getting onto the actual depth that the show has.

What the Sopranos did was allow white America to get a nice comfortable look at the crime in American society. It portrayed primarily white gangsters, involved itself in a bit of psychology and didn't hold back the punches. However the show smacks of the whole Hollywood glitz and glam that has infected popular culture profusely to the detriment of society.

The Wire has been groundbreaking in confronting white America with its problems, portraying the other of American society that never gets depicted and challenged every convention Hollywood has ever put on the table. It also holds the casual viewer in contempt.

No doubt the Sopranos is studied as part of a cinematic studies course but theres plenty of TV Shows (Mostly war dramas) that have gone on to imitate and improve on this. No tv show, unless directed by Simon, will come close to what the Wire has managed to do, mainly because it doesn't sell well in a money driven industry were art and criticism are characteristics that are few and far between in any drama and new directors won't even get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would throw "The Shield" into that group as well. Possibly one of the best endings for a series ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Edal

Hobbes wrote: »
    I would throw "The Shield" into that group as well. Possibly one of the best endings for a series ever.

I'd throw it straight back out.

The Wire fans check out the new series Boss, starring Kelsey Grammer. Some of the best TV I've seen in a long time.

I could never make up my mind re. The Sopranos or The Wire. Both superb shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Sopranos hands down. The Wire actually should be better than it actually is- as said, The Corner is the same basic set up (albeit more from a family perspective than the gang perspective) but is superior in terms of acting, plot, scripts etc.

In terms of HBO dramas Ive seen
    1- Sopranos
    2- The Corner
    3- Oz (brilliant show- though occasionally unrealistic. Fell apart a bit in the last season too)
    4- The Wire. Average show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

The Sopranos is more entertaining and accessible to most people hence why it is much more a part of our popular culture.
    The Wire is not as accessible for most people and is much more difficult to get into but once you do the payoff is worth it.
    The acting overall is stronger in the Sopranos, Simon used a lot of non professional actors so he could get the required authenticty, at times the acting suffered.

As for which is better, I would prefer the Wire as it says a lot more about the world in which we live in and poses far more quesions for society in general to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I really love The Wire and The Sopranos but if I had to pick one of them as the best show ever I would pick............................Breaking Bad.

What the Sopranos did was allow white America to get a nice comfortable look at the crime in American society. It portrayed primarily white gangsters, involved itself in a bit of psychology and didn't hold back the punches. However the show smacks of the whole Hollywood glitz and glam that has infected popular culture profusely to the detriment of society.

The Wire has been groundbreaking in confronting white America with its problems, portraying the other of American society that never gets depicted and challenged every convention Hollywood has ever put on the table. It also holds the casual viewer in contempt.

No doubt the Sopranos is studied as part of a cinematic studies course but theres plenty of TV Shows (Mostly war dramas) that have gone on to imitate and improve on this. No tv show, unless directed by Simon, will come close to what the Wire has managed to do, mainly because it doesn't sell well in a money driven industry were art and criticism are characteristics that are few and far between in any drama and new directors won't even get the chance.

If you watch The Sopranos you'll find that the primarily 'white' characters didn't even consider themselves white. There is an episode in the first series that deals directly with this. Tony refers to his neighbours as 'white', and explains to Melfi why he doesn't relate to them or consider himself like them. He considers himself something of a spectacle to them. It's an examination of another sub-culture in America that is detached from normal middle-class America. They are Caucasian people, but culturally they are separate from the typical white middle-class, and they feel separate from it too.

As for the element of glitz and glamour, I don't really see what's wrong with that or that it has 'infected' society. The show centres around the Mafia, that in itself is a fairly glamorised aspect of American culture, but shows a much less glamorous aspect of it too. The show shows underneath all that, that there is a lot of ugliness - murder, drug addiction, wife-beating, whoring, hypocrisy, marginalisation. The Mafia are the embodiment of what America prides itself on - the American Dream. Glitz and glamour is part of that. There are a lot of moments in The Sopranos were you see how the Mafia are portrayed on television, and it's all about drama and spectacle and glamour. That's how the Mafia is portrayed by the modern media. However, The Sopranos shows another side, a much uglier side. Obviously the characters are supposed to be somewhat realistic, and so they are sympathetic and funny at times, but for the most part most of the characters are not nice people. I've hated Tony more times than I've liked him. If it's a confrontation of white America you're looking for, I think The Sopranos does have that in many ways. Despite being what the American Dream is supposed to be about, they're shunned. It's an example of how the American Dream went wrong, and how the rich and glamorous lifestyles that are so championed by the American Dream are not as pretty as they might seem. These are despicable people, for the most part. It's not as though the show is style over substance. If you want that, look no further than Mad Men.

Also, 'confronting white America' doesn't automatically make something good. It doesn't mean that the writing or acting or characters are going to be any better. I don't really believe that something needs to be constantly confronting everyone in order to be good. I really do think that relateability is equally as important to the enjoyability of a show and is frequently underrated, with people being dismissed as not 'getting it' if they don't instantly love a so-called 'challenging' piece of work. The Wire takes time to get into and is not very immediate, and this did affect my enjoyment of it.

I'm not denying that The Wire has been ground-breaking and has done well at what it does, but in terms of writing, acting and characters, I think The Sopranos is far superior. Perhaps The Wire is a show about society at large, whereas The Sopranos is a show more about individuals, and I prefer works that deal with personal development and individual perspectives more. I was never as interested or invested in any of the characters in The Wire as I was in say, Christopher Moltisanti in The Sopranos, but I did find the examination of the society itself pretty interesting and multi-layered. As someone who likes to write myself, I've just found The Sopranos more inspiring.

Interestingly, I have a couple of friends from Baltimore and I asked them how they felt about The Wire, and they said it didn't interest them at all because it's so close to home. I does seem as though people are more interested by things that are somewhat foreign to them, lives different to their own.

But, hey, it's all about personal opinion I guess. Nobody is ever going 100% agree on these things. I think the shows are very different anyway, and it's a strange comparison that only seems to come up because the shows are frequently cited as two of the best. The Wire is depicting a completely different world to The Sopranos, but they both excel in depicting the worlds they depict.

Anyway, who knows? The final series of Breaking Bad is on its way, and by the end of that, it could have blown both of these shows out of the water, which some people are starting to suggest already.

If you watch The Sopranos you'll find that the primarily 'white' characters didn't even consider themselves white. There is an episode in the first series that deals directly with this. Tony refers to his neighbours as 'white', and explains to Melfi why he doesn't relate to them or consider himself like them. He considers himself something of a spectacle to them. It's an examination of another sub-culture in America that is detached from normal middle-class America. They are Caucasian people, but culturally they are separate from the typical white middle-class, and they feel separate from it too.

I think you took me up wrong here, I am not talking about the actual characters but more generally. The majority of the cast is white in The Sopranos whilst the majority of the cast is black in The Wire and a quite a few are actually from Baltimore. I am not saying 'Oh the Sopranos should have incorporated more minorities' as obviously the premise of the show is strict in its demographics. However when comparing two undoubtedly amazing shows the only way that they can be compared is if they will be remembered in fifty to five hundred years time and The Wire is one of the first prime time shows to have a majority black cast and this will be remembered for a long time. The series forces the HBO audience to confront its own prejudices. HBO is a subscriber-based channel, and the bulk of its audience is composed of affluent, middle class, white Americans. The fact Simon succeeded in getting a show like this commissioned five times really is staggering.
    As for the element of glitz and glamour, I don't really see what's wrong with that or that it has 'infected' society. The show centres around the Mafia, that in itself is a fairly glamorised aspect of American culture, but shows a much less glamorous aspect of it too. The show shows underneath all that, that there is a lot of ugliness - murder, drug addiction, wife-beating, whoring, hypocrisy, marginalisation. The Mafia are the embodiment of what America prides itself on - the American Dream. Glitz and glamour is part of that. There are a lot of moments in The Sopranos were you see how the Mafia are portrayed on television, and it's all about drama and spectacle and glamour. That's how the Mafia is portrayed by the modern media. However, The Sopranos shows another side, a much uglier side. Obviously the characters are supposed to be somewhat realistic, and so they are sympathetic and funny at times, but for the most part most of the characters are not nice people. I've hated Tony more times than I've liked him. If it's a confrontation of white America you're looking for, I think The Sopranos does have that in many ways. Despite being what the American Dream is supposed to be about, they're shunned. It's an example of how the American Dream went wrong, and how the rich and glamorous lifestyles that are so championed by the American Dream are not as pretty as they might seem. These are despicable people, for the most part. It's not as though the show is style over substance. If you want that, look no further than Mad Men.

Fair point. I do believe The Wire is as good if not a better exploration of the American Dream. The opening scene from the first season begins what becomes constant exploration of it from every part of society - from the little hoppers to state senators.
    Also, 'confronting white America' doesn't automatically make something good. It doesn't mean that the writing or acting or characters are going to be any better. I don't really believe that something needs to be constantly confronting everyone in order to be good. I really do think that relateability is equally as important to the enjoyability of a show and is frequently underrated, with people being dismissed as not 'getting it' if they don't instantly love a so-called 'challenging' piece of work. The Wire takes time to get into and is not very immediate, and this did affect my enjoyment of it.

If art is not challenging and confronting society what is it? Its no longer art its popular entertainment. As I said I don't judge these two shows the same way i would judge 99% of other television as they aim for something more than what the rest aim for; they aim to be considered as art. Any artist that has been remembered in history was in their day producing art that challenged society and forced people to reflect on themselves. Wilde's Salome, Shaw's John Bulls Other Island, Yeats's "The Second Coming", Synge's Playboy, O'Casey's Silver Tassie, Joyce's Dubliners all are instances of Irish artists who challenged society, the majority were received with scorn however they are now revered as genius or prophet in some cases. The Wire set itself out to do this also. It is an extremely admirable feat in an industry driven by viewing figures.The Sopranos also aims to be something more than popular entertainment as David Simon said himself "The Sopranos becomes art when it stands for more than a mob story, but as a treatise on the American family". So challenging white America is absolutely paramount to the aim of the show as challenging the family was for the Sopranos. I've came full circle here I think.

I do think The Wire challenges America in a wider sense and I favour it. However both are superb.
    I'm not denying that The Wire has been ground-breaking and has done well at what it does, but in terms of writing, acting and characters, I think The Sopranos is far superior. Perhaps The Wire is a show about society at large, whereas The Sopranos is a show more about individuals, and I prefer works that deal with personal development and individual perspectives more. I was never as interested or invested in any of the characters in The Wire as I was in say, Christopher Moltisanti in The Sopranos, but I did find the examination of the society itself pretty interesting and multi-layered. As someone who likes to write myself, I've just found The Sopranos more inspiring.

What I felt propels the show just above Sopranos is its constant reference to Greek tragedy, Shakespearean drama and American literature. The show itself is a modern day Greek tragedy with the institutions as the gods. The sheer body of reference in the show is astounding. Obviously the Sopranos has these elements but not to the same degree.
    But, hey, it's all about personal opinion I guess. Nobody is ever going 100% agree on these things. I think the shows are very different anyway, and it's a strange comparison that only seems to come up because the shows are frequently cited as two of the best. The Wire is depicting a completely different world to The Sopranos, but they both excel in depicting the worlds they depict.

I agree totally, when two shows of such quality are compared there will always be a valid difference of opinion.

I think what I have been arguing is which will be remembered in the distant future more so than anything else and so doesn't really concern most if they are deciding which to watch at the minute.

I think you took me up wrong here, I am not talking about the actual characters but more generally. The majority of the cast is white in The Sopranos whilst the majority of the cast is black in The Wire and a quite a few are actually from Baltimore. I am not saying 'Oh the Sopranos should have incorporated more minorities' as obviously the premise of the show is strict in its demographics. However when comparing two undoubtedly amazing shows the only way that they can be compared is if they will be remembered in fifty to five hundred years time and The Wire is one of the first prime time shows to have a majority black cast and this will be remembered for a long time. The series forces the HBO audience to confront its own prejudices. HBO is a subscriber-based channel, and the bulk of its audience is composed of affluent, middle class, white Americans. The fact Simon succeeded in getting a show like this commissioned five times really is staggering.

Fair point. I do believe The Wire is as good if not a better exploration of the American Dream. The opening scene from the first season begins what becomes constant exploration of it from every part of society - from the little hoppers to state senators.

If art is not challenging and confronting society what is it? Its no longer art its popular entertainment. As I said I don't judge these two shows the same way i would judge 99% of other television as they aim for something more than what the rest aim for; they aim to be considered as art. Any artist that has been remembered in history was in their day producing art that challenged society and forced people to reflect on themselves. Wilde's Salome, Shaw's John Bulls Other Island, Yeats's "The Second Coming", Synge's Playboy, O'Casey's Silver Tassie, Joyce's Dubliners all are instances of Irish artists who challenged society, the majority were received with scorn however they are now revered as genius or prophet in some cases. The Wire set itself out to do this also. It is an extremely admirable feat in an industry driven by viewing figures.The Sopranos also aims to be something more than popular entertainment as David Simon said himself "The Sopranos becomes art when it stands for more than a mob story, but as a treatise on the American family". So challenging white America is absolutely paramount to the aim of the show as challenging the family was for the Sopranos. I've came full circle here I think.

I do think The Wire challenges America in a wider sense and I favour it. However both are superb.

What I felt propels the show just above Sopranos is its constant reference to Greek tragedy, Shakespearean drama and American literature. The show itself is a modern day Greek tragedy with the institutions as the gods. The sheer body of reference in the show is astounding. Obviously the Sopranos has these elements but not to the same degree.

I agree totally, when two shows of such quality are compared there will always be a valid difference of opinion.

I think what I have been arguing is which will be remembered in the distant future more so than anything else and so doesn't really concern most if they are deciding which to watch at the minute.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, and disagree with some of it (particularly your interpretation of what is art and the issue of The Wire resembling Shakespearean drama in a greater way), but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think The Wire has its problems, especially regarding the characters (they're just not that interesting) that really bring it down in my estimation. But, like I said, I think it depends on what you're into. I just prefer things that are about individuals, and The Wire is more about ideas and Simon promoting his own. It doesn't make it better to me, just different, and it's the kind of different that just doesn't appeal to me as much as The Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Perhaps The Wire is a show about society at large, whereas The Sopranos is a show more about individuals, and I prefer works that deal with personal development and individual perspectives more. I was never as interested or invested in any of the characters in The Wire as I was in say, Christopher Moltisanti in The Sopranos, but I did find the examination of the society itself pretty interesting and multi-layered. As someone who likes to write myself, I've just found The Sopranos more inspiring.

I love the Sopranos but don't find Christopher Moltisanti a deep character at all.

Couldn't tell you much about him besides he lost his father and became a gangster.

Most of the characters in the Sopranos are typical cliches we have all seen before Paulie, Silvio, Richie etc.

I think the characters in the Wire have more depth, Stringer Bell, McNulty, Colvin, Michael Lee, Bodie etc.

We have see the tragic life they are born into and can understand why they live the lives they do.

Does anyone care what Anothony Jr or Meadow do with their lives or any of the characters in the Sopranos.

What the Sopranos does do better is comedy, Junior Soprano is one of the best comedic characters of all time.

I love the Sopranos but don't find Christopher Moltisanti a deep character at all.

Couldn't tell you much about him besides he lost his father and became a gangster.

Most of the characters in the Sopranos are typical cliches we have all seen before Paulie, Silvio, Richie etc.

I think the characters in the Wire have more depth, Stringer Bell, McNulty, Colvin, Michael Lee, Bodie etc.

We have see the tragic life they are born into and can understand why they live the lives they do.

Does anyone care what Anothony Jr or Meadow do with their lives or any of the characters in the Sopranos.

What the Sopranos does do better is comedy, Junior Soprano is one of the best comedic characters of all time.

Christopher is a lot more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Just on your point about AJ and Meadow - I actually thought they represented one of the more clear cut statements that the Soprano's made in the way they both turned out and arrive at the final scene.

Junior Soprano is hilarious - f**k New York!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I've watched both and they're both fantastic but The Sopranos has to take it. No TV show I have ever seen has delved so deeply into the inner workings of a single man. Every scene, every action, every single little detail was archaicly woven into the storyline to impact on Tony's life in some way, shape or form. It was better than the best russian novels, the way it came to life right in front of you. You could re-watch it multiple times and every time notice some new little detail that indicates what will happen later on. People are saying it "trailed off" in the end, no it didn't. Everything happened for a reason. You should read up on some in-depth descriptions of episodes if you're confused about it. Make no mistake, it is by a mile the most intricate TV show that you will ever see, and most likely will ever see.

David Chase is an absolute genius. He had theme meeting before every show to make sure every scene was linked in to the storyline. The result is six seasons of televised gold, with an ending so intricate and symbolic it made me doubt my own existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Wire for me.

The Sopranos was decent but by the time I got to season 4 I was just watching it for the sake of seeing it through to the end. The only episode I'd bother watching again is probably 'Pine Barrens'.

The Wire on the other hand I flew through and enjoyed every season, felt Season 2 was a little bit weaker than the rest but still damn good. Also found the characters in the Wire to be much more enjoyable.

Give me Omar, Bunk, Stringer, Marlo or Freamon over Indistinguishable Fat Italian American #1 - 37

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hobbes wrote: »

Loved The Shield and was genuinely disappointed when the final credits ran.

I then tried The Wire based on all the hype about it round these parts but honestly.. I swithed it off about 40 mins in - maybe it was the one I watched but the audio/accents were very hard to understand, the "hey look we're on HBO so lets swear every 5 seconds just cause we can" and the whole thing of "lets just drop the audience in at the deep end" with regards to characters/situations etc just put me off - it just seemed very poor compared to The Shield.

Yes I know it was one episode in, and maybe it was a pilot that somehow got better when it went into production, but if you can't sit through the first episode that's not a good start is it? Contrast that with The Shield where I was hooked from the start which I think a good series should do.

The Sopranos I've finally gotten around to now as well (well on and off - I'm up to season 3) and it's pretty good alright and similarly Boardwalk Empire - which is a bit of a slower burner - has drawn me in but maybe I should have watched The Wire first and then The Shield as I feel like I've been spoiled as a result. Even Blue Bloods - which I watched the first season of thinking "ah this is ok for a bit of throwaway cop drama and Tom Selleck is still cool" - I've become very critical of in season 2 as a result (I mean does NYC have ANY other detectives working besides the Comissioner's son and his partner??)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Loved The Shield and was genuinely disappointed when the final credits ran.

I then tried The Wire based on all the hype about it round these parts but honestly.. I swithed it off about 40 mins in - maybe it was the one I watched but the audio/accents were very hard to understand, the "hey look we're on HBO so lets swear every 5 seconds just cause we can" and the whole thing of "lets just drop the audience in at the deep end" with regards to characters/situations etc just put me off - it just seemed very poor compared to The Shield.

Yes I know it was one episode in, and maybe it was a pilot that somehow got better when it went into production, but if you can't sit through the first episode that's not a good start is it? Contrast that with The Shield where I was hooked from the start which I think a good series should do.

The Sopranos I've finally gotten around to now as well (well on and off - I'm up to season 3) and it's pretty good alright and similarly Boardwalk Empire - which is a bit of a slower burner - has drawn me in but maybe I should have watched The Wire first and then The Shield as I feel like I've been spoiled as a result. Even Blue Bloods - which I watched the first season of thinking "ah this is ok for a bit of throwaway cop drama and Tom Selleck is still cool" - I've become very critical of in season 2 as a result (I mean does NYC have ANY other detectives working besides the Comissioner's son and his partner??)

The bangers in the Wire are no harder to understand then the ones in the Shield imo, that excuse always gets my goat , sure there are phrases unique to Wire like Re-up or the stash but if you look at the context it's obvious what they mean. Call the wire up on being slower paced then the Shield , it is(most shows are) , but don't call it up on being hard to understand because it really isn't and it is a weak excuse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kyle Reese2027

Just finished The Wire.
    What. A. Show.
    Saw some people saying that they weren't gone on season 2 but I loved it.
    However, the Sopranos was just on a different level for me.
    Both shows explore fantastic themes and are far beyond what is on the face of the programme. Both shows have fantastic characters and script writing.
    However, the character exploration was definitely more in-depth on the Sopranos and Gandolfini's performance has yet to be touched on tv.
    I found myself far more moved by the Sopranos too.
    It got inside me more.
    Two absolutely fantastic shows and definitely the top two of all time, for me.
    I look forward to going back through both shows again, on multiple occasions.
    But I can see myself going back to the Sopranos first.
    And so it goes like this for me.
    1: The Sopranos.
    2: The Wire.
    And I reckon that's how it's always gonna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Season 2 changes so much in the Wire that it throws a lot of people off. On 2nd watch from my experience it turns out to be a lot of people's favourite. Which is some achievement for a bunch of, on first inspection, scumbag dock workers from Baltimore. It just shows the far reach of the crime in Baltimore more than the other seasons which are mainly based around the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Best thing about the Wire is how every character has a name that works really well for a pet. Next time you get a new pet try it out. Terrific show. I'm just about to finish season 3 in my 3rd start to finish viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Is it possible to get into these shows without being interested in their setting or context? For example, I have seen a bit of The Sopranos but I just could never get into the whole Italian-American gangster mafia thing and it bores me, for the same reason I never enjoyed The Godfather.

I also have little interest in the Wire's setting and have never seen the show so I worry it'll go over my head if I watch it. On the other hand while I thought Breaking Bad was overrated, I enjoyed it, even though meth dealing in new Mexico isn't something I care about. Similarly I liked Goodfellas even though as I said, that context isn't appealing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Liam O wrote: »
    Season 2 changes so much in the Wire that it throws a lot of people off. On 2nd watch from my experience it turns out to be a lot of people's favourite. Which is some achievement for a bunch of, on first inspection, scumbag dock workers from Baltimore. It just shows the far reach of the crime in Baltimore more than the other seasons which are mainly based around the hood.

I still find season 2 to be the pinnacle. I grew up in a town that was dying on it's arse economy wise, lots of drink problems etc.

I saw a lot in it that hit home.

Advertisement