Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire vs. The Sopranos

Options
  • 16-04-2011 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

these shows are the best ever...IMO id pick The Wire

someone get a poll up cos i dont have a clue how to

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

No need of a poll kiddo. Both fantastic shows but The Wire takes it every time. (imo)

Anyone who hasn't seen it.... watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This is going to be locked or moved just to let you know, im a veteran round these parts so i knows;)
    Haven't watched either though

This is going to be locked or moved just to let you know, im a veteran round these parts so i knows;)
    Hot Lips is off duty so it might escape... LOL!!!

Degag wrote: »
    Hot Lips is off duty so it might escape... LOL!!!
    I wish they'd relax the modding a tad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Just started watching the Sopranos from the start a few weeks ago.

Show is brilliant.

Must watch the wire, don't think I've seen anything from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The Sopranos. Better characters, better acting, witty dialogue, better plots.

The Wire is somewhat overrated tbh, and has too many cliches and stock characters (alcoholic womanising cop, wow, never seen that one before). Its watchable but nowhere near deserving the plaudits it received. Oddly enough the same guys who made the Wire made a 6 part series in the mid 90s called The Corner, set in Baltimore about a pair of addicts and their teenage dealer son who soon seeps into using himself. Its 10 times better in terms of plot and acting, theres a great book on the same story as well. Yet nobody has ever heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

man you are missing out big time if ya havent seen these shows!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

cant pick one

its impossible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hollyoaks!

jimpump wrote: »
    man you are missing out big time if ya havent seen these shows!!
    I know man people keep saying they're great, but I really don't watch much tv anymore. Not on purpose, it's just gone so rubbish over the years there's nothing I've gotten in to. Lost was the last show I watched, and that was stupid.

• Advertisement

The Wire is somewhat overrated tbh, and has too many cliches and stock characters (alcoholic womanising cop, wow, never seen that one before). Its watchable but nowhere near deserving the plaudits it received. Oddly enough the same guys who made the Wire made a 6 part series in the mid 90s called The Corner, set in Baltimore about a pair of addicts and their teenage dealer son who soon seeps into using himself. Its 10 times better in terms of plot and acting, theres a great book on the same story as well. Yet nobody has ever heard of it!

ive seen The Corner and have to agree with ya, probably just as good as the wire if not better. still got to read the book, but im tryin hard to find it

i might have picked the sopranos only for the last 2 series let us down big time....and dont get me started on the final scene. what a loada bollox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The Wire.

Watched Sopranos as it came out, and could never get into it. There was no redemption to any of the characters. And The Wire had that in spades, even the lowest of the drug addicts and crime lords had elements of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I know man people keep saying they're great, but I really don't watch much tv anymore. Not on purpose, it's just gone so rubbish over the years there's nothing I've gotten in to. Lost was the last show I watched, and that was stupid.

The Wire will restore all faith in tv, a steady diet of the Wire, followed by The Sopranos, then to lighten things up Arrested Development, wash that down with Curb Your Enthusiasm then top it off with Boardwalk Empire. tv heaven. People who dont watch these shows genuinely dont know what they're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

havent seen either too - may if i find time watch sopranos though after hearing the wire is better, i may just go with that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you want reality TV watch 'The Wire' If you want fantasy watch reality TV.

+1

baltimore reminds me a bit of places ive lived like ballymun ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The wire take a dump on the sopranos.

Omar is probably one of them most intriging characters in any series ever.

One of his most famous scenes.

McNulty (whom you are referring to) isn't as black and white either. Think Series 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Homicide: Life On The Street is well worth a watch as well, same style of show, set in Baltimore, but it focuses more on the cops than the criminals, at least for the first series, a lot of the cast of The Wire are in it too.

This thread made me look this clip up, now I want to watch it all again:

The opening to the best tv show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Both great shows but the sopranos ran out of steam a bit towards the end. I'd go with the wire.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    The Wire will restore all faith in tv, a steady diet of the Wire, followed by The Sopranos, then to lighten things up Arrested Development, wash that down with Curb Your Enthusiasm then top it off with Boardwalk Empire. tv heaven. People who dont watch these shows genuinely dont know what they're missing.

man they are the only shows i record on me sky box, Curb is ****in hilharious but me bird doesnt get it at all.....add seinfeld to them shows and your sorted tele wise ha

and trailer park boys is gas aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I watched the wire twice, I watched sopranos till I don't even know... I certainly didn't finish it.

eta

yanno.. I'm pretty sickened that they're even being compared like they're on the same level or something..

Omar is probably one of them most intriging characters in any series ever.

One of his most famous scenes.

McNulty (whom you are referring to) isn't as black and white either. Think Series 5?

Stringer Bell and Marlo > Omar Lytle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The simpsons

The wire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Wire. Oh, indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Some will win, some will lose, some were born to sing the blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Agreed.

McNulty is no hero - he's a self absorbed asshole who wants to 'win' he's an insecure muppet who can't take that his wife dumped him blah blah blah

McNulty 'they do not get to win we get to win'

Bunk on the other hand...
    Bunk would have put Marlo away for the rest of his life within 'the rules' only for McNulty making a balls of things and lettin him get off.

Bunk and Omar are the only ones who live by an ethical code imo.

jimpump wrote: »
    Stringer Bell and Marlo > Omar Lytle
    Stringer is a superb character alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I wish they'd relax the modding a tad

The will hear you :)

you will be evicted.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

McNulty is no hero - he's a self absorbed asshole who wants to 'win' he's an insecure muppet who can't take that his wife dumped him blah blah blah

McNulty 'they do not get to win we get to win'

Bunk on the other hand...
    Bunk would have put Marlo away for the rest of his life within 'the rules' only for McNulty making a balls of things and lettin him get off.

Bunk and Marlo are the only ones who live by an ethical code imo.

Yup, i mean was there any character on the show who didn't think he was an asshole?
    ethical code? hmmm, it's a while since i watched it, but i guess so. Wouldn't have said Marlo after he killed Prop Joe though. What about the guy who killed Cheese?

Advertisement