Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty septic tank

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

hawthorne wrote: »
    I live in rural Ireland. It is quite normal here to spread the contens of a septic tank onto the fields. People don't give a **** about that.
    One neighbours septic tank broke down and he left it like that for some weeks. There was a huge pool of **** in the field- and nobody said a word.
    The stuff was pumped of the field after a while and spread around the fields- including along a public well. The whole septic tank was ripped out of the ground and the soak pit with stones and ****y mud burried in another field. A new septic tank was put in the same place of the old septic tank- all done by a another neighbour who is an agricultural contractor.No planning permission, no propper removal of the rubble or contens of the septic tank.
    The same contractor empties slurry from slatted houses into NHAs- in full view of everbody. His son is washing out the slurry tanker in a local river and I saw him emptying out the dirty water onto the public road while driving back to the farm.
    Another farmer spreads slurry onto the field around a public well. The ****- a mixture of slurry and human excrements-is some times inches deep on the field. There is a statue of Saint Patrick at the well. Usually this statue is painted green- but after every slurry spreading it turns brown.
    Another well is also polluted by slurry spreading just along the spring.
    When I questioned the farmer about this practice, he told me that he cannot spread it anywhere else. By the way- he has a farm of 100 acres. He is on the REPS sheme- like the farmer with the first well- and also an organic farmer. People here see nothing wrong with this sort of behaviour. If you try to talk to them, they become very abusive . They are all
    " respected members of the society ". There is nothing wrong with their behavoir in their eyes. This is their normal behaviour.The person who tells them how to behave right is the person who is wrong.
    He is also a threat- because he is a potential informer.Himself and any family members are getting bullied.And nobody wants to get involved.
    Believe me- all this sort of carry on is very very common around here.
    Nobody will talk about it. Because they all behave the same way. And the people from Brussles, Dublin 4 (means RTE) or red-tape bureaucrats wherever do have to tell them ****-all !
    This is the real rural world...

No its not the real rural world, its just 2 or 3 idiotic farmers who don't care about the rural environment or the people that live in it - including themselves.

It certainly doesn't happen where I live and it never has happened in the 30 years that I have been living here. We have all had our septic tanks inspected in the last 6 months by the county council. Some people have been ordered to put in new treatment systems.

Just because 1 or 2 people don't give a **** doesn't mean that the majority don't. Posts like that tar all rural dwellers with the same brush and its just not true. Every area has idiots who flaunt the law but the majority of people stick to the letter of the law and the majority of people care about the environment that they live in and do not intentionally harm the people that live there or the wildlife around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

reilig wrote: »
    No its not the real rural world, its just 2 or 3 idiotic farmers who don't care about the rural environment or the people that live in it - including themselves.

It certainly doesn't happen where I live and it never has happened in the 30 years that I have been living here. We have all had our septic tanks inspected in the last 6 months by the county council. Some people have been ordered to put in new treatment systems.

Just because 1 or 2 people don't give a **** doesn't mean that the majority don't. Posts like that tar all rural dwellers with the same brush and its just not true. Every area has idiots who flaunt the law but the majority of people stick to the letter of the law and the majority of people care about the environment that they live in and do not intentionally harm the people that live there or the wildlife around them.

Very well said Reilig.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭hawthorne

It is EXACTLY as I said. The wast majority behaves like that here. It is not just three idiotic individuals.It is the normal livestyle here.
    Inspections of septic tanks- you must be joking. Nothing around here ever !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

reilig wrote: »

Just because 1 or 2 people don't give a **** doesn't mean that the majority don't. Posts like that tar all rural dwellers with the same brush and its just not true. ...

Am I the only one who sees some inconsistancy here?

So what brush do you tar the people that the have ordered to put in new treatment systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Last time we had ours done a couple of years ago by an unregistered guy he charged about €300!

Tractor and tanker trailer, and dumped on one of his fields!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

What inconsistencys? He said none of the things in hawtohornes post happened, Then said after inspection some people had to install new treatment systems, Explain how this is inconsistent?

Advertisement