Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty septic tank

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

reilig wrote: »
    :o Unfortunately your irony is lost on me :confused:

no its not;)

What you post is all about the regulated red tape bollox filled world that exists, but back in the real world lads with a John Deere and a 1600 Ruscon Vacuum Tanker are emptying tanks for €50 and pumping it out over hedges when no one's looking, and you know what, no one really cares in rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

But there is a big difference between cow dung and the waste from a septic tank. If you were caught spreading untreated sewerage on your land, your cattle or sheep would not be allowed to enter the food chain and you wouldn't be allowed to keep animals on the land for years to come.

EDIT: I should also add that its not just farming folk that read these threads and boards.ie is often quoted in the national and international media. If you're doing something illegal, this isn't the place to be talking about it.

Just for the record where would I find these regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Just for the record where would I find these regulations?

You'll get them from the epa

www.epa.ie

MidlandsM wrote: »
    no its not;)

What you post is all about the regulated red tape bollox filled world that exists, but back in the real world lads with a John Deere and a 1600 Ruscon Vacuum Tanker are emptying tanks for €50 and pumping it out over hedges when no one's looking, and you know what, no one really cares in rural Ireland.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, ireland has the greatest number of ecoli contaminated private water schemes of any country in Europe. Toxin levels in vegetables and meats from irish farms are rising steadily year on year - directly linked with the levels of cancer in humans in this country.

And the saddest thing about it is that people will go on to a public forum like this and defend sewage spreading on land - just because its expensive to properly dispose of sewerage and there is a lot of red tape around it does not make it right to land spread it (forget about the legalities of it).

The old folk used to have a saying "don't sh1t on your own doorstep".

That's exactly what you're doing when you land spread sewerage - think of your own health at least.
    and you know what, no one really cares in rural Ireland

Maybe you don't care, but the majority of people do. Not about the legalities but about raw sewerage being spread around their homes and over their water schemes, private wells etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Maybe you don't care, but the majority of people do. Not about the legalities but about raw sewerage being spread around their homes and over their water schemes, private wells etc.

Rubbish, if they did care, they'd be a lot bigger uptake on hiring the certified crowds to empty tanks and then have certs galore to prove your septic tank waste was disposed of the legal way.

But otherwise, the majority of people (you refer to) get the lad up the road with the John Deere, that the truth of it and thats the REAL WORLD situation, as you like to refer to the REAL WORLD!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

ohhh feck, I'm bricking it here. There's someone at the door. I think its the SEWAGE POLICE! :pac:

Why don't you cut out the middleman and put it straight in the river. That's been going on for ages too so it must be OK.

Rubbish, if they did care, they'd be a lot bigger uptake on hiring the certified crowds to empty tanks and then have certs galore to prove your septic tank waste was disposed of the legal way.

But otherwise, the majority of people (you refer to) get the lad up the road with the John Deere, that the truth of it and thats the REAL WORLD situation, as you like to refer to the REAL WORLD!;):D

I think this forum has rules about advocating illegal actions on it Midland M.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

LostCovey wrote: »
    I think this forum has rules about advocating illegal actions on it Midland M.

It certainly does.
    Midland M- 2 week ban from Farming and Forestry for advocating illegal activities.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Hi guys, I use to empty tanks and what your forgetting is its not just sh**e spread on the land, but (and I'm sorry) used jonnies, used tampons/towels, used ear buds and all the other "used" things we flush down the jacks. if treated properly they don't cause problems.
    so next time you see a farmer spreading local shi*e on a field think what else are they spreading?????

no its not;)

They, I mean WE, do care, actually

• Advertisement

LostCovey wrote: »
    They, I mean WE, do care, actually

I don't, but it seems that the talk here as wandered off from septic tanks which I'd quite happily empty out onto my veg patch to cess pits which are a different matter altogether. If you flush "used jonnies, used tampons/towels, used ear buds and all the other "used" things we flush down the jacks" and use lots of bleach and biological washing powder you don't have a septic tank you have a cess pool. Our septic tank hasn't been emptied in 10 years since it was put in because its septic, fill it with modern cleaning chemicals + non biodegradable "items" and it won't be and it would need emptying it every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

wex96 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I use to empty tanks and what your forgetting is its not just sh**e spread on the land, but (and I'm sorry) used jonnies, used tampons/towels, used ear buds and all the other "used" things we flush down the jacks.

Anyone that flushes jonnies, used tampons/towels, baby wipes, or used ear buds down our jacks will get the sole of my shoe up their hole.
    Septic tanks are not made for that type of stuff.

mikom wrote: »
    Anyone that flushes jonnies, used tampons/towels, baby wipes, or used ear buds down our jacks will get the sole of my shoe up their hole.
    Septic tanks are not made for that type of stuff.

The problem is that if people are going around emptying septic tanks onto land at cheap prices then they don't know what's in the tank. There will always be people flushing stuff down there that won't degrade. At least proper sewerage treatment systems have ways of separating this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

An uncle of mine recently had to re-do his whole septic tank and perculation system their in feb due to at when he installed it no grease trap etc or soak away was put in and low and behold it backed up, now he got a neighbour to empty it and he spread it on his land because it started overflowing at 10 o'clock on a sat night and nobody in the phonebook would bother coming out till monday. as regards where it was spread it was put onto stubble ground and ploughed in

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Lads Can I empty MY OWN sceptic tank with MY OWN tactor and MY OWN TANK and take it for treatment ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭straight

If ye get yer septic tanks working properly they should never have to be emptied. A better solution all around surely. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 2me

120 euro seems reasonable depending on how it will be disposed of.

I am looking for a c. 20 metre length of pvc hose to be attached on to slurry tanker from my septic tank. would anybody know where i might source such a hose at a reasonable price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

2me wrote: »

I am looking for a c. 20 metre length of pvc hose to be attached on to slurry tanker from my septic tank. would anybody know where i might source such a hose at a reasonable price?
    what part of the country you in

i am in cork county

i am in cork county
    for that reason i'm out :D

• Advertisement

20 meters is a very long length. I had to buy a new hose a couple of weeks ago and it cost €80 for 6 or 7 meters - this didn't include the metal coupling.

http://www.crossagrieng.ie/ have specials at the moment for hozes and couplings. They have next day delivery for €10 and have prices way below any dealer that I have seen. #

Hope it helps.

Dan

thanks very much will check them out. need c. 20 metres to get access to septic tank from drive

thanks very much will check them out. need c. 20 metres to get access to septic tank from drive

If your paying someone to do it for you then shouldn't they have extra hoses for jobs like yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

20 meters is a very long length. I had to buy a new hose a couple of weeks ago and it cost €80 for 6 or 7 meters - this didn't include the metal coupling.

http://www.crossagrieng.ie/ have specials at the moment for hozes and couplings. They have next day delivery for €10 and have prices way below any dealer that I have seen. #

Hope it helps.

Dan

what size pipe was that price for reilig,
    i payed €10/ft inc vat for 6" heavy gauge flexi pipe only recently,

william
    i have farmer who will empty it for me as a favour i just need to get hose to keep here so they can come at own time and empty for me
    thanks

dar31 wrote: »
    what size pipe was that price for reilig,
    i payed €10/ft inc vat for 6" heavy gauge flexi pipe only recently,

That was saucy.

The pipe that I bought was 6" heavy gauge too. Got it in D & E McHugh in Longford. It was during their anniversary sale - so I don't know if that made it cheaper or not. The wrapping that it came in showed that it was supplied by Abbey Machinery. Cross had cheap pipes advertised on donedeal a few weeks back.

there's a place beside me ifm - industrial and farm machinery that do all that type of stuff and will send it off in the post afaik www.ifmireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I live in rural Ireland. It is quite normal here to spread the contens of a septic tank onto the fields. People don't give a **** about that.
    One neighbours septic tank broke down and he left it like that for some weeks. There was a huge pool of **** in the field- and nobody said a word.
    The stuff was pumped of the field after a while and spread around the fields- including along a public well. The whole septic tank was ripped out of the ground and the soak pit with stones and ****y mud burried in another field. A new septic tank was put in the same place of the old septic tank- all done by a another neighbour who is an agricultural contractor.No planning permission, no propper removal of the rubble or contens of the septic tank.
    The same contractor empties slurry from slatted houses into NHAs- in full view of everbody. His son is washing out the slurry tanker in a local river and I saw him emptying out the dirty water onto the public road while driving back to the farm.
    Another farmer spreads slurry onto the field around a public well. The ****- a mixture of slurry and human excrements-is some times inches deep on the field. There is a statue of Saint Patrick at the well. Usually this statue is painted green- but after every slurry spreading it turns brown.
    Another well is also polluted by slurry spreading just along the spring.
    When I questioned the farmer about this practice, he told me that he cannot spread it anywhere else. By the way- he has a farm of 100 acres. He is on the REPS sheme- like the farmer with the first well- and also an organic farmer. People here see nothing wrong with this sort of behaviour. If you try to talk to them, they become very abusive . They are all
    " respected members of the society ". There is nothing wrong with their behavoir in their eyes. This is their normal behaviour.The person who tells them how to behave right is the person who is wrong.
    He is also a threat- because he is a potential informer.Himself and any family members are getting bullied.And nobody wants to get involved.
    Believe me- all this sort of carry on is very very common around here.
    Nobody will talk about it. Because they all behave the same way. And the people from Brussles, Dublin 4 (means RTE) or red-tape bureaucrats wherever do have to tell them ****-all !
    This is the real rural world...

the concil sewerage line goes through our land along side the river , i could tell a story or 2:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Has anyone ever tried using these conversion units, which you can connect to your ordinary septic tank. Converts it to a treatment unit.

http://www.theseptictankshop.co.uk/Septic_Tank_Conversion_Units

Advertisement