Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty septic tank

Options
  • 13-04-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Be grateful for views.

got a quote of €120 to empty a septic tank. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

yes.... what would you expect to pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dryan

jaysus, im some fool - been doing it for me neighbours for years for free -A "God bless yea" job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

€50 tops is all I'd pay, and have paid only €20 in the past.

€120 is OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

250 in waterford :eek:

local lad charges €150 ... my dad used to do them 30 years ago for £20 , in thirty years i think all things considered €100 would be reasonable enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Of course the guy doing it, must have a waste disposal licence, and public liability insurance. He must bring the sugary stuff to the appropriate council waste disposal centre.:cool:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Of course the guy doing it, must have a waste disposal licence, and public liability insurance. He must bring the sugary stuff to the appropriate council waste disposal centre.:cool:
    also full tax clearance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

dryan wrote: »
    A "God bless yea" job.

'Where do I cash that?' you should ask them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

bouli73 wrote: »
    Be grateful for views.

Thanks

Depends, €280 our way to get it done by a registered guy who brings it to the local council waste facility, i've talked to him about it and you need this sort of money to cover the council fees, insurance, handling other people's sh**e ;).
    You can also get the local chancer to charge you €50 and spread it wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

bouli73 wrote: »
    Be grateful for views.

Thanks
    i know someone had to pay 300 euro to a registered man to empty their septic tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

To get the job done properly with someone with proper licence etc your looking at €200+ I should think.

To get the job done properly with someone with proper licence etc your looking at €200+ I should think.

A guy with a tractor and tank will do the job properly too, and at a fraction of the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

MidlandsM wrote: »
    A guy with a tractor and tank will do the job properly too, and at a fraction of the cost.

yea but without a licence, he will land spread it (untreated) and it will end up in a water course or even worse in a drinking supply - hopefully not my drinking water - better the drinking supply of the cheapo who cut corners to have his tank emptied.

reilig wrote: »
    yea but without a licence, he will land spread it (untreated) and it will end up in a water course or even worse in a drinking supply - hopefully not my drinking water - better the drinking supply of the cheapo who cut corners to have his tank emptied.

utter bollox, unlicenced yes, but its been spread on fields for decades, and never did any harm if spead in the right place on the right land. Simply more legislative bolloxology.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Cattle slurry, silage effluent etc would need to be treated also before land spreading if that were the case

Soon we'I need to be like the Jarveys in Kilarney, putting bags on the cows to collect the sh*t

Muckit wrote: »
    Cattle slurry, silage effluent etc would need to be treated also before land spreading if that were the case

Soon we'I need to be like the Jarveys in Kilarney, putting bags on the cows to collect the sh*t

so true........and how do they treat sewage these days, add a poncey perfume to it not to annoy the townies? like FFS!

all this red tape really irks me and boils my piss (no pun intended):pac::pac::pac::pac:

utter bollox, unlicenced yes, but its been spread on fields for decades, and never did any harm if spead in the right place on the right land. Simply more legislative bolloxology.

And how do you know that the fellow that you employ to empty your tank at a cut price is spreading it on the right place and on the right land????

And how do you know that the fellow that you employ to empty your tank at a cut price is spreading it on the right place and on the right land????

same as how do you know the guy with the fancy rigid truck unit charging you €250 does'nt let it off across some hedge with a side blower at 3am down some back road......;)

what do you want???, video evidence and gps co-ordinates backed up by 3 independent shyte spreading witnesse's...........LOL

Muckit wrote: »

You're forgetting that slurry and silage effluent are natural enough for to be broken down and absorbed by grassland and soil.

Modern septic tanks contain more than sh1t and urine (excuse my vulgarity) which make their content different to slurry and effluent and different to the content of septic tanks from years gone by.

if you think about it - all septic tanks are full with residues and chemicals used for cleaning, soaps, shampoos, bleach, washing powder etc. Soil and grass won't absorb these - especially if they are spread in high concentration levels using a tanker. A lot will make it to the water course or worse to the water table where it will contaminate all before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

It is taken to the treatment plant, the guy is weighed in and out and is charge by the ton for it. They treat it and eventually dry it down to form bio-solids which some then pay a €10 a ton for.

• Advertisement

same as how do you know the guy with the fancy rigid truck unit charging you €250 does'nt let it off across some hedge with a side blower at 3am down some back road......;)

what do you want???, video evidence and gps co-ordinates backed up by 3 independent shyte spreading witnesse's...........LOL

There are loads of guys around here anyway that have licenses and who use ordinary tractors and tankers.

Its a pretty regulated process. if you hire one of them to empty your tank, you will get a receipt from the contractor for it and you will also get a receipt from the sewerage treatment plant that they use to dispose it in. You are supposed to have these receipts on hand in case of an inspection of your sectic tank by your local authority - they are part of your service contract pack.

It is taken to the treatment plant, the guy is weighed in and out and is charge by the ton for it. They treat it and eventually dry it down to form bio-solids which some then pay a €10 a ton for.

I believe that in some "better land" they plough it in to crops of grain and maze. Its supposed to be a good fertilizer - although I have no experience of it myself.

There are loads of guys around here anyway that have licenses and who use ordinary tractors and tankers.

Its a pretty regulated process. if you hire one of them to empty your tank, you will get a receipt from the contractor for it and you will also get a receipt from the sewerage treatment plant that they use to dispose it in. You are supposed to have these receipts on hand in case of an inspection of your sectic tank by your local authority - they are part of your service contract pack.

thanks for that background. A good reason to avoid all that hassle them, be over charged and continue to empty my own with my brothers tractor and tank and spread it on a neighbours field, who is and was in the past, happy to have it on his ground and says " you can't spead better":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You're forgetting that slurry and silage effluent are natural enough for to be broken down and absorbed by grassland and soil.

Modern septic tanks contain more than sh1t and urine (excuse my vulgarity) which make their content different to slurry and effluent and different to the content of septic tanks from years gone by.

if you think about it - all septic tanks are full with residues and chemicals used for cleaning, soaps, shampoos, bleach, washing powder etc. Soil and grass won't absorb these - especially if they are spread in high concentration levels using a tanker. A lot will make it to the water course or worse to the water table where it will contaminate all before it.

*Sucks household septic tank.
    Blows into slatted tank
    Combined small amount of septic tank waste mixes with mass of slatted tank waste, to be spread at a later stage*

Working wonders for our green image lads!!!

We should print it on our meat packaging:

"This steak is from an animal fed on grass in ireland . . . . . . . . . .

By the way, untreated human sewerage was used to give the grass its luscious green growth"

I can see Board Bia running with the slogan now!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Working wonders for our green image lads!!!

We should print it on our meat packaging:

"This steak is from an animal fed on grass in ireland . . . . . . . . . .

By the way, untreated human sewerage was used to give the grass its luscious green growth"

I can see Board Bia running with the slogan now!!!!!!!

true
    still alot of city folk probably wouldnt fancy their nice steak as much either if they knew all the cattle ****e that was spread during the process, obviously a cowboy emptying alot of tanks and spreading without a license is unacceptable but i think for a farmer with his own gear its not an issue for him to empty his own tank or a neighbours and spread it. I think if a lot of small town sewage system were examined closely the results might be alot scarier

true
    still alot of city folk probably wouldnt fancy their nice steak as much either if they knew all the cattle ****e that was spread during the process, obviously a cowboy emptying alot of tanks and spreading without a license is unacceptable but i think for a farmer with his own gear its not an issue for him to empty his own tank or a neighbours and spread it. I think if a lot of small town sewage system were examined closely the results might be alot scarier

But there is a big difference between cow dung and the waste from a septic tank. If you were caught spreading untreated sewerage on your land, your cattle or sheep would not be allowed to enter the food chain and you wouldn't be allowed to keep animals on the land for years to come.

EDIT: I should also add that its not just farming folk that read these threads and boards.ie is often quoted in the national and international media. If you're doing something illegal, this isn't the place to be talking about it.

But there is a big difference between cow dung and the waste from a septic tank. If you were caught spreading untreated sewerage on your land, your cattle or sheep would not be allowed to enter the food chain and you wouldn't be allowed to keep animals on the land for years to come.

EDIT: I should also add that its not just farming folk that read these threads and boards.ie is often quoted in the national and international media. If you're doing something illegal, this isn't the place to be talking about it.

ohhh feck, I'm bricking it here. There's someone at the door. I think its the SEWAGE POLICE! :pac:

ohhh feck, I'm bricking it here. There's someone at the door. I think its the SEWAGE POLICE! :pac:

:o Unfortunately your irony is lost on me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Just built a new house, and we had to pipe all waste into the septic tank - so any chemcials used in washing machine, put down the sink, etc all end up in the septic tank.
    Now - I wouldnt like to be spreading that on my land, or anyone elses. I would prefer for it to be sent for processing. And yes - would pay for it.

BUT
    I know in the house at home - all the chemcials from the sink / washing machine, go into a soak-away. Not sure if this is better, but for this topic, it means they are not going into the septic tank.
    The only connection to the septic tank is the toilet. I see no issues with spreading this on the land (in theory)... But I would prefer to plough it in, as opposed to leave it on the grass to be honest.
    The situation has never arisen anyways, as the tank has never had to be emptied.

Advertisement