Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSF4 AE - PC! (?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Could you play online with a pirated copy? I downloaded it to see how it ran. It ran like crap so I deleted it.
    I read a good article awhile back from a developer who says piracy isnt a lost sale. I dont have a link though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whore

bush wrote: »
    Could you play online with a pirated copy? I downloaded it to see how it ran. It ran like crap so I deleted it.
    I read a good article awhile back from a developer who says piracy isnt a lost sale. I dont have a link though :pac:

No you couldn't play online. Another good point to add to the list, there are very rarely demos release anymore for any platform, i imagine that if they started releasing demos more people would know if their pc could actually handle that game and more importantly, would give gamers a chance to try it, get a taste...but not get the full thing as is the case with piracy (online features aside) I know that the demo thing is in no way capcoms fault, maybe something for them to think about this time around. I remember buying lots of games on the PS1 based on demo discs.

I believe this is what you're talking about bush, i think he makes a point but he is in a position that allows him to say that, being that he's 'raking in money' and the fact that his game had such incredibly minimal production costs, even when compared to the costs of simply porting a game like sf4 from 1 platform to another (not saying sf4 is a port before i get flamed :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

bush wrote: »

You can play online using any key you can find for the game.

I used the key of another member on here and we both signed in at the same time with no issues.

I did buy the game for PS3 however and bought Super for PS3 and 360 and have all the DLC for 360, so I didn't completely rip off Capcom.

You can play online using any key you can find for the game.

I used the key of another member on here and we both signed in at the same time with no issues.

I did buy the game for PS3 however and bought Super for PS3 and 360 and have all the DLC for 360, so I didn't completely rip off Capcom.

I'd blame capcom's lack of cloud storage and centralized save files for that. Btw that makes you living proof of my point that people who pirate games also buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

whore wrote: »
    I'd blame capcom's lack of cloud storage and centralized save files for that. Btw that makes you living proof of my point that people who pirate games also buy them.

No it doesn't.

You said that a lot of people who pirated the PC version of SF IV then went on to purchase it for PC.

My owning the game for PS3 has nothing to do with people who pirated it for PC and didn't then purchase it for PC or any other format.

You are clutching at straws.

• Advertisement

That is piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

debate closed.
    Thanks for the closing comment chopper.

So in conclusion Capcom are twats for not releasing it for the PC earlier despite the statistics because several subsets of information have lead us to believe that those pirates also did purchase the game, therefore making the stats inaccurate.
    Further more charging full price for AE for the PC is ridiculous as its the same game. Same was SF1 is the same game as SF2 or alternatively, SF ALPHA is the same as SF ALPHA 3

Placebo wrote: »
    Further more charging full price for AE for the PC is ridiculous as its the same game. Same was SF1 is the same game as SF2 or alternatively, SF ALPHA is the same as SF ALPHA 3

iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Characters like Guile, Seth and Sagat while looking like their Vanilla counterparts have had huge changes, good and bad, to the point where they play totally differently.

In fairness, this is something PC gamers would expect (and rightfully so imo) in the form of free patches. Blizzard are probably the best example of this recently, though I don't think FGs should have as frequent balancing as a game like SC2.

This isn't me weighing in on the pricing of AE by the way - I've bought 2 copies of vanilla and another of Super so far, and will be happily picking up the AE DLC for 360 as well as the PC version (and probably the 360 disc version once it goes down in price too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dundle

Was so excited when I heard, then I remembered I can't use my stick, it's wireless. ):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

^ ^ ^ What a classic Boards "debate"... Hope i have the specs to run this on the laptop bcos id like to pick it up along with the 360 version. This is probably the only fighting game ill be playin all year if mk9 turns out to be mvc3 in that it wont be my kinda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Edit : Screw this, I'll let my friend here tell you how it is

Basically

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

RopeDrink wrote: »
    @Dreddybajs:
    It's different in terms of WoW Patch Downloading because of the fact WoW'ers have to pay to play (Subscribe) via Credit Card or GamerCards, so yes, one expects all further tweaking to be a) More frequently done and b) Not cost anything because we've not only bought the game (and all the expansions) but are still pumping money into the companies pocket every few weeks/months on top of that.

SF4 we don't have that - We bought the game, installed it, and what you bought is what you get. I have absolutely no problem forking out full retail price for SSF4 AE because it is it's own game that cannot be compared to SF4 Vanilla.

I was talking about Starcraft 2, which is the same as SSF4 and which Blizzard are constantly patching. I don't give a **** about WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

y'all are funny dreddy and i runnin rtsd lobby on PC twenty fo seven YEAH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I was talking about Starcraft 2, which is the same as SSF4 and which Blizzard are constantly patching. I don't give a **** about WoW.

Starcraft 2 has also been broken into three single player games so that they can make money while providing these updates. Every company has to try new strategies. This is Capcoms.

Constant patching would be ideal but Blizzard can communicate changes to players quickly and easily using the Help files, tech trees, unit info and the menu, along with websites dedicated to SC2 news. Less easy for consoles to get across changes - you could say have a popup but how many of you just start mashing A to get past menus (You should play v Green bar connections).

Makes sense for AE to be a full PC release - it is a whole new game.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Every company has to try new strategies. This is Capcoms.
    And by new strategies you mean the one they've been using since the SNES :pac:
    I'm firmly on the side of a new full release for SSFIVAE, as has been said repeatedly it's a fairly massive update over vanilla.

Sairus wrote: »
    as has been said repeatedly it's a fairly massive update over vanilla.

Exactly the point i'm making :P lets do numbers then, if it's 30 euro off steam the day it comes out, i will be very happy and would consider that a completely reasonable price for the game as it is not a new game as there is no new engine and the various other things that completely differentiate one game in a series from another. I'll be delighted to give capcom that money. If the game turns out to be 50 on release day then i will be very disappointed for the same reasons as above, old engine and so on.

Seeing as the example of WOW and SC2 are being ignored, take Bad Company 2: Vietnam, massive update over the original, new maps, player models, weapons, textures and so on, similar to say the jump from vanilla to super or the jump from super to AE, this update cost 13 euro on release day. Based on capcoms pricing of super to ae being 15 euro i'd say charging 30 for the jump from vanilla to ae is very fair, even 35 would be fair, however 50 (the standard full price for a pc game on release day) is excessive unless you don't own vanilla, then 50 is very reasonable if even a bit on the low side when you consider it's a full game and two sizable DLC packages.

Also to those saying what about SF2 to SF2T on snes, i pose this: what feasible way did they have to augment a cartridge with DLC? Furthermore when you bought game, how much of that cost was based on the cost of the cartridge the game came on? Flash memory wasn't exactly cheap in the early 90's, i admit that production costs are lot more these days, however it is still a capital investment and not a cost involved in making every single copy of the game. Server bandwidth you say? A torrent on the capcom website would solve that.

If you believe that not one thing i've said previously touches on the truth, not to say that if you don't agree 100% with everything i say, but that if you can't find at least 1 thing i said to be at least reasonable if not true, then i'll assume you're not willing to listen to anything that deviates from your own opinion or have a fanboy mentality and think that nothing capcom do is ever wrong,

Feel free to weigh in with what you think a reasonable price would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

50 euro

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Vanilla on consoles was €49.99
    Super on consoles was €29.99.
    Vanilla on PC was €39.99

We don't have pricing on retail release yet do we.

Why would anyone assume AE is going be €50 on PC?

I suspect Capcom will charge €29.99 for it on PC. I be very suprised if it was even €39.99 again.

Makes sense for Capcom to sell only as a retail stand alone release rather than have to develop new DLC for vanilla SF 4 on PC. (repackage all of the Super stuff as well)

Standard price for PC games is not €49.99. I'm still paying €39.99 for most of my games. There are excepts but last 3 games I got on PC (Crysis 2, Shogun 2, Assassins Creed Brotherhood) where all €39.99 for the regular non special editons.

Whore you seem to be totally jumping the gun on this. Wait till pricing is announced before crying foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

whore wrote:
    Exactly the point i'm making lets do numbers then, if it's 30 euro off steam the day it comes out, i will be very happy and would consider that a completely reasonable price for the game as it is not a new game as there is no new engine and the various other things that completely differentiate one game in a series from another. I'll be delighted to give capcom that money. If the game turns out to be 50 on release day then i will be very disappointed for the same reasons as above, old engine and so on.
    Just because the graphics don't change doesn't mean that the engine is the same underneath.
    Even something as simple as "player can choose from 2 Ultras" is a fundamental change that can't be changed with DLC.
    whore wrote:
    Also to those saying what about SF2 to SF2T on snes, i pose this: what feasible way did they have to augment a cartridge with DLC? Furthermore when you bought game, how much of that cost was based on the cost of the cartridge the game came on? Flash memory wasn't exactly cheap in the early 90's, i admit that production costs are lot more these days, however it is still a capital investment and not a cost involved in making every single copy of the game. Server bandwidth you say? A torrent on the capcom website would solve that.
    Production costs are actually LESS, since Nintendo charged a massive licensing fee along with having monopoly on cartridge production.
    whore wrote:
    €40-50. If you're into SF, you'll be getting 250+ hours out of this easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    €40-50. If you're into SF, you'll be getting 250+ hours out of this easily.

This is one of the few reasons that I make exceptions for Street Fighter when it comes to buying multiple versions.
    If SFIV had just stayed vanilla I would probably still be playing it now, probably after clocking up over a 1000 hours of gameplay. For a game that I play so much I'm fairly okay with paying full price for a very sizeable update to a game I've dumped so much time into.
    Hell, I've probably saved 8 times what they'll charge me because all my game time is taken up with SFIV :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Even something as simple as "player can choose from 2 Ultras" is a fundamental change that can't be changed with DLC

Did i miss a meeting? New moves = a games entire engine since...?
    Production costs are actually LESS, since Nintendo charged a massive licensing fee along with having monopoly on cartridge production.

No the actual cost to produce a game, not to put it on a medium...or did i miss another meeting about this insane anti-inflation we've been having lately.
    Hell, I've probably saved 8 times what they'll charge me because all my game time is taken up with SFIV

hahaha, nicely played sir :P quite a reasonable argument.

I actually realized a flaw in my logic when you guys were talking bout 1000 hours + gameplay, Left 4 Dead and the sequel...few new chars, couple of new maps, same source engine = new game 1 year later :P If you play 1000 hours of it, even at 50 euro that's 1 cent for every 2 hours...really puts it in perspective when you say it like that, nothing comes even close to that much fun for that price so i guess i should quit my bitching

anywho, still gonna buy it (AE that is) and i expect i shall be online on release day getting pounded by pretty much everyone :D

you should make a stand against Capcom and not buy the game.
    May i suggest an online petition ?

you should make a stand against Capcom and not buy the game.
    May i suggest an online petition ?

well if i don't buy it there's 0 chance of me meeting you in game and annoying the **** out of you, i'd lose sleep if i didn't buy it just because of that fact

why dont you come to the next inferno and put your money where your mouth is?

I expect i shall be online on release day getting pounded by pretty much everyone :D

Firstly as i said, i suck at the game, I'm quite happy to admit that right here and now because I'm not a narcissist. Secondly, it is hilarious how much I'm annoying you already, guess i don't need to buy the game to do that.

Seriously, my opinion bothers you that much that you want to challenge me to a 'fight' to prove how alpha male you are? Cute, funny and pathetic...it's the internet pal, get a grip. Surely you've come across opinionated people over the course of your 9 years and 7000 posts here.

mario_mushroom.jpg

There ya go, eat that and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Firstly as i said, i suck at the game, I'm quite happy to admit that right here and now because I'm not a narcissist.

Implying admitting you're good at a FG is narcissistic

Also, don't see what the problem is, you know you will buy AE, so? Also, I don't think balance changes, new characters over 3 years of work is a small thing. They could of not released it on PC like Super. You'd complain then?

Suck it up

Firstly as i said, i suck at the game, I'm quite happy to admit that right here and now because I'm not a narcissist. Secondly, it is hilarious how much I'm annoying you already, guess i don't need to buy the game to do that.

Seriously, my opinion bothers you that much that you want to challenge me to a 'fight' to prove how alpha male you are? Cute, funny and pathetic...it's the internet pal, get a grip. Surely you've come across opinionated people over the course of your 9 years and 7000 posts here.

There ya go, eat that and grow up.

1247627894508.jpg
    WELCOME to the fighting games form kid :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll be getting it. CBA scrolling and reading through the drivel of piracy and such.

• Advertisement

1247627894508.jpg
    WELCOME to the fighting games form kid :pac::pac::pac:

Creating a post to tell you that you spelled forum wrong would be trolling.

"A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response"

Ironically by posting that picture to say you were trolled, you trolled. I thought my previous comment would highlight that fact.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Too much hassle when they can port AE fresh from the Arcade as a standalone PC title.

I can't argue with that to be honest. I highly doubt capcom put in all that effort with the intent of getting a return solely through arcades, i know arcade's have been getting more popular over the last few years but there's no where near the same money as a console/PC release. I'm quite glad i got into this conversation tbh (the non retarded, non trolling and reasonable parts at least) it has changed my opinion on the subject quite a bit, a lot of very persuasive points were made, thanks to retr0gamer, ropedrink, sagat06 and doctor doom for that. Special mentions to placebo and k.o.kiki for the lols. I think the piracy, pricing and value for money debates are well and truely talked out. Now this is my third time trying to end this portion of the conversation, please let it die so we can move onto happier things like the impending release of an awesome game.

Advertisement