Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

is this "gobshyte of the week" or something ?

first a bloke thats NOT a chef , with a TV show cooking food.

now an IT professional, making beer.

what a complete waste of a college place these guys were.

:)

"best will in the world week".

have to say, thats a very good play on words by that ad

:D

on the just a minute quiz.

"in education what are the three Rs ?"

"pass"

says it all

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

More Marty Morrissey...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dereks back, he s brought his bell with him and he ll be talking about anesthesia, not that you need it with him around.

First topic.....................gay parents..................back on agenda just in case marty was a tad too hetro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

How many times is she going to say like? Like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The youth of today. :rolleyes:

What bird makes this sound?

A crow?

No, very close. Try again?

A crow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Fish must have been given a vote in eurovision , Derek is lobbying them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I like this scientist, he's not taking crap from anyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I heard a bit of Derek the other day, surprise surprise, he was talking about gay stuff.
    Why don't they just call it the gay show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TheBorderFox1

I would have to strongly agree with the bevy of comments here, Derek Mooney's personally pedaled tripe really is impossible to tolerate.

I think it's become more a public platform in which Mooney can drive his own agenda from and to broadcast his own opinions from.

The majority of topics and opinions are truly pathetic, uninteresting nor are they in any form or fashion appealing, and also of no real educational purpose or benefit to anyone.

Do you remember the all night show in which Mooney sat up all night with a few other contributors and broadcast live listening for a few birds singing at dawn!

I think it's about high time and actually long over due that the RTE hierarchy made a few additional changes to the Radio-1 schedule and first for the chop would have to be Mooney and his cavalcade of intolerable plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Definite case of the presenter's ego out of control.

How much input should a presenter have into a show's content, generally speaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Mooney was very scaldy there yesterday.
    Having a go at everyone who texted in disagreeing with him about baptism.
    Even being snippy with that gay Donegal bloke who had the temerity to say he wouldnt watch the Diana movie after Mooney was singing its praises a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

uber gay today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

At least he is consistent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

At least he is consistent!!

I have to agree. The show makes for consistently bad, consistently gay, consistently awful and consistently terrible radio. Its a sham of a program that should be put out of its misery. Any other time of the day and the ratings would plummet, Derek got BIG TIME lucky to follow Liveline.

Do the BBC have any shows where any tom, dick and harry can come on and sing musical numbers? I seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Why are they forcing that woman to sing, this is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

telekon wrote: »
    I have to agree. The show makes for consistently bad, consistently gay, consistently awful and consistently terrible radio. Its a sham of a program that should be put out of its misery. Any other time of the day and the ratings would plummet, Derek got BIG TIME lucky to follow Liveline.

Do the BBC have any shows where any tom, dick and harry can come on and sing musical numbers? I seriously doubt it.

And I agree 100% with you. For a national broadcaster it's an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

telekon wrote: »

+1.

It is getting steadily worse.

There really is great scope at this time of the day for light-hearted human interest topics, but right now they are just not getting it right.

Strangely enough, the smugness from nearly all contributers is sickening at times.

@ Derek and gang, you are not as entertaining as you think you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

padd b1975 wrote: »
    +1.

It is getting steadily worse.

Strangely enough, the smugness from nearly all contributers is sickening at times.

@ Derek and gang, you are not as entertaining as you think you are!

I turned on today for about 20 minutes. I couldn't believe how bad this program has become.

After the cringefest of the shower singing, now we had people being asked to sing their favourite musical song and Derek likened it to the X-Factor. :rolleyes:

God help the listeners in the near future. I won't be one of them.

Derek's voice went higher and higher as he voiced "incredulity" to different situations, ie a menu sold from the Titanic..... it was increasingly annoying as it went on.

Brenda must be on some contract. That's all I can say.

Shocking radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Foghorn was on top form today with the auld wan.
    I notice the Titanic is another big interest of Derek's.
    Today's show had to be the worst ever, I couldn't turn it off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

MJ23 wrote: »
    Foghorn was on top form today with the auld wan.
    I notice the Titanic is another big interest of Derek's.
    Today's show had to be the worst ever, I couldn't turn it off though.

There are plenty of similarities between The Mooney Show and the Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You would wonder if anyone from RTE ever listens to the programme.

It seems like a hugely indulgent showcase for whatever Derek and his buddies are interested in.

And then when Mooney is away, they had Marty Morrissey covering - despite him being hoarse and in no condition to do live radio. It's like bad student radio where the presenters are having a great time, but not the listeners.

I said it before, but it needs a strong Producer to direct the programme's content, and let Derek know that he can't just indulge his own interests all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There are plenty of similarities between The Mooney Show and the Titanic.

Let's hope it hits an iceberg before they all melt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I used to like The Mooney Show, and I'm trying to work out exactly where it's gone wrong... But I think I could list the following:

- He very subtly and manipulatively puts across his own gay agenda and tries to present his opinions as being the opinion of the masses (facilitated by the nodding Brenda), with the intent of ostracising those of a different opinion. It's like an infomercial for gay marriage and gay adoption. I also have a problem with the number of gay issues. I have no interest in the topic, and RTE should have a separate show for gay issues.
    - Brenda is on the show faaarrr too often. Talkin about her kids ... "Harvey does this, Harvey does that, Two bags full Harvey"... I dont care about her kids! .. Slobbering over any man that is in studio.. Generally be loud and annoying. He understudy, Mary Kingston, is actually worse. I mean does RTE get these people on the JobBridge program?
    - Lack of guests.. The show is packed full of X Factor / Louis Walsh / Mary Byrne nonsense.. I cant remember how good the guests used to be, I certainly dont remember them being that lowest common denominator and thrashy.
    - The know it alls... Leo Enright, Paul Gee, Eanna, Richard Collins, Noel Cunningham, etc... a collection of irritable, self obsessed, fussbudgets... When do I ever get opportunity to use the word fussbudget :D

What do ye think, have I forgotten anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I agree. I used to enjoy the show up to about six months ago. I now find it insufferable. I have no appetite for all-year round Eurovision and we know all there is to know by now about Mary Byrne. The singing in the shower competion was an all time low. I used to think Derek Mooney was an affable guy but now I think he has become increasingly dogmatic in his views. I wish the show would go back to the way it was in the early days, can't exactly remember what that was, but it was enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I suppose its a release for Derek. He spent too long trying to pretend he wasn't gay. Now he has to let his gayness out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I agree. I used to enjoy the show up to about six months ago. I now find it insufferable. I have no appetite for all-year round Eurovision and we know all there is to know by now about Mary Byrne. The singing in the shower competion was an all time low. I used to think Derek Mooney was an affable guy but now I think he has become increasingly dogmatic in his views. I wish the show would go back to the way it was in the early days, can't exactly remember what that was, but it was enjoyable.

Do you mean when it was called Rattlebag??! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I used to like The Mooney Show, and I'm trying to work out exactly where it's gone wrong... But I think I could list the following:

- He very subtly and manipulatively puts across his own gay agenda and tries to present his opinions as being the opinion of the masses (facilitated by the nodding Brenda), with the intent of ostracising those of a different opinion. It's like an infomercial for gay marriage and gay adoption. I also have a problem with the number of gay issues. I have no interest in the topic, and RTE should have a separate show for gay issues.
    - Brenda is on the show faaarrr too often. Talkin about her kids ... "Harvey does this, Harvey does that, Two bags full Harvey"... I dont care about her kids! .. Slobbering over any man that is in studio.. Generally be loud and annoying. He understudy, Mary Kingston, is actually worse. I mean does RTE get these people on the JobBridge program?
    - Lack of guests.. The show is packed full of X Factor / Louis Walsh / Mary Byrne nonsense.. I cant remember how good the guests used to be, I certainly dont remember them being that lowest common denominator and thrashy.
    - The know it alls... Leo Enright, Paul Gee, Eanna, Richard Collins, Noel Cunningham, etc... a collection of irritable, self obsessed, fussbudgets... When do I ever get opportunity to use the word fussbudget :D

What do ye think, have I forgotten anything?

To be honest, I don't detect the gay agenda at all. That said I rarely last an entire show, so maybe I don't hear enough of it.

What annoys me is the "Call or text us about anything you want to talk about", when really its "Call or text us about anything you want to talk about and if it matches something that I want to talk about you will get on the show".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He is up on his high horse already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement