Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever liked U2?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I was a fan up until POP, but from there on in Bono started writing some of the worst lyrics known to mankind....

Jesus, Jesus help me
    I'm alone in this world
    And a ****ed up world it is too
    Tell me, tell me the story
    The one about eternity
    And the way it's all gonna be

Wake up, wake up dead man

Jesus, I'm waiting here boss
    I know you're looking out for us
    But maybe your hands aren't free
    Your father, He made the world in seven
    He's in charge of heaven
    Will you put in a word in for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

early u2 were good, but recently bono being bono the hero i dont lyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

Joshua Tree was over-rated bigtime. Actung Baby their best album.

Some catchy songs the last being Beautiful Day. Best song was The Unforgettable Fire.

Fame went to Bonos head after Actung Baby and now he is a parody of himself. I think they know their best work is behind them and the Edge is a fraud with his effects & echo machines as Bill Bailey proved. They are a corporation and always have been really.Their music now is ****ing awful to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

Rubik. wrote: »
    I was a fan up until POP, but from there on in Bono started writing some of the worst lyrics known to mankind....

Jesus, Jesus help me
    I'm alone in this world
    And a ****ed up world it is too
    Tell me, tell me the story
    The one about eternity
    And the way it's all gonna be

Jesus, I'm waiting here boss
    I know you're looking out for us
    But maybe your hands aren't free
    Your father, He made the world in seven
    He's in charge of heaven
    Will you put in a word in for me

That is pathetic:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

There 80's stuff is good. Their 90's and 2000's stuff had its choice moments, namely All That You Can't Leave Behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I loved them the microsecond before Pavarotti began to sing on Ms Sarajevo and the microsecond after he finished

Everything else? Nah.. I'm with Henry Rollins on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

There is a lyric in one of the songs on their new album: "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" The minute I heard bono sing that I turned the album off and have not listened to it since. Over produced, under written, pure ****e!

Liked the Joshua tree and actung baby and a few other songs along the way. Always liked the edge as a guitar player. great use of effects. What he can do he does well.

Went to see them for the first time for the 360 tour and was bored to be honest. They didnt serve drink on the pitch so it was like going to a childs birthday party, that resless feeling where you just want to sneak away without being seen.

I'll see that and raise you a "Freedom has the scent like the top of a new born babies head", from Miracle Drug I think on HTDAAB

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I don't like this thing of hating a band or artist just because of their views outside of music. For the record Bono is an annoying 'save the world' eejit and is a rather pompous and cocky guy that wrecks my head but his vocals and the band he is in are great. The music matters to me. For example, I'm a Beatles fan, if I was to meet Paul McCartney and he called me a ****, I wouldn't like him but that wouldn't stop me listening to The Beatles or his solo stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bitter wrote: »
    That is pathetic:eek:

Not as bad as....

A mole, digging in a hole
    Digging up my soul
    Now going down, excavation
    I and I in the sky
    You make me feel like I can fly
    So high, elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

"1, 2, 3, 14 aye aye captain." Bono's lyrics make Noel Gallagher's seem profound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Not as bad as....

A mole, digging in a hole
    Digging up my soul
    Now going down, excavation
    I and I in the sky
    You make me feel like I can fly
    So high, elevation.

Guys...whats your point? lyrics don't always make sense - and that has always been the way. Some artists use them as a way to fit around the melody of a song

Picture yourself in a train in a station
    With plasticine porters with looking glass ties
    Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
    The girl with kaleidoscope eyes

And by the way, I have already commented on this post saying that I used to like U2 but now I don't - so don't come back at me as a "U2 lover" or "Beatles hater".

EDIT - I do admit though, that weird Beatles lyrics come off the tongue a lot silkier than U2's strange ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Picture yourself in a train in a station
    With plasticine porters with looking glass ties
    Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
    The girl with kaleidoscope eyes

And by the way, I have already commented on this post saying that I used to like U2 but now I don't - so don't come back at me as a "U2 lover" or "Beatles hater".

EDIT - I do admit though, that the Beatles lyrics come off the tongue a lot silkier than U2's above.

Eh ... yeah ... the Lucy in the Sky lyrics are top class psychedelia :confused:

Bad example, methinks.

"1, 2, 3, 14 aye aye captain." Bono's lyrics make Noel Gallagher's seem profound.

1, 2, 3, 14......turn it up there captain

Eh ... yeah ... the Lucy in the Sky lyrics are top class psychedelia :confused:

Bad example, methinks.

I'll hold my hands up to that Anny - fair point. My point is that not all songs contain deep meanings or subtext

I'll hold my hands up to that Anny - fair point. My point is that not all songs contain deep meanings or subtext

I getcha. Perhaps, "I wanna hold your hand" or "Love, love me do", then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Guys...whats your point? lyrics don't always make sense - and that has always been the way. Some artists use them as a way to fit around the melody of a song

It's not that they don't make sense, it's the fact that they are so bloody awful and that awfulness distracts you from the melody.

In an attempt to give U2 some kudos....there have been times recently where one of their song's really does touch me. The song Bono wrote for the father on Vertigo for example....lyrics are beautiful and shows that he does have talent when it isn't being overshadowed by "Captain Crusader"

Sometimes you can't make it on your own
    And it's you when I look in the mirror
    And it's you when I don't pick up the phone

(This is it)
    I know that we don't talk
    I'm sick of it all
    Can, you, hear, me, when, I, sing
    You're the reason I sing
    You're the reason why the opera is in me

Well hey now, still gotta let ya know
    A house doesn't make a home
    Don't leave me here alone

In an attempt to give U2 some kudos....there have been times recently where one of their song's really does touch me. The song Bono wrote for the father on Vertigo for example....lyrics are beautiful and shows that he does have talent when it isn't being overshadowed by "Captain Crusader"

And it's you when I look in the mirror
    And it's you when I don't pick up the phone

(This is it)
    I know that we don't talk
    I'm sick of it all
    Can, you, hear, me, when, I, sing
    You're the reason I sing
    You're the reason why the opera is in me

Well hey now, still gotta let ya know
    A house doesn't make a home
    Don't leave me here alone

Dislike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I have liked U2 since 1980.

I had a penpal in Germany back then and I remember boring her to death in my letters (yeah it was the old days;)). I still remember being really excited and telling my friends when she wrote that her boyfriend had now heard of them. Discussing their music on Gaeltacht holidays when I was a teenager....

I remember seeing them in The National Stadium getting a Hot Press (I think??) award in about 84 - I was in my late teens and hero worshipped them at the time.
    It would take a lot of Bullsh*t from Bono for me to feel negative towards U2. It helps that they are a very very good rock band. Was thrilled to see them playing for Obama.

Seeing them in the 360tour was about half as enjoyable as Croke Park 1985 - but it was still a great concert and about 50 times more appealing than going to see Lady Gaga or Take That or whatever else people are into.

City of Blinding lights was awesome live with the 360 stage show. One of the many brilliant songs they wrote

The more you see the less you know
    The less you find out as you go
    I knew much more then than I do now

Yeah they have songs on some Albums that aren't great but they have enough excellent stuff to balance it out. Somtimes You cant make it on your own has touched me a lot too - reminds me of dealing with someone I lost around the time that album came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I have always loved U2 and I always will.
    I know some say they've been more bland over the past few years, more fame-led whatever. I will clear up a few things about common reasons people don't like U2.

1. Bono : I know no one likes hearing politics at gigs, but seriously does a good band have to be perfect in every way. Bono's preaching is simply a sympathatetic (trying too hard) way of promoting U2's charity work. Even I agree this is slightly blown out of proportion but all he's trying to do is tell the fans that what his band have done so they can be proud. Also saving the world is just Bono's humour, its much better than stereotypical jokes we hear everyday discriminating against gays and blacks. They are just cruel

2. Over-produced music : I can assure all of you that almost every band gets to that stage in their career. U2 have even admitted Get On Your Boots was made with too many layers, whereas many acts would deny this

3. Terrible musicians : The Edge is one of the world's most talented guitarists and if you don't believe me hear him live

4. Terrible singers : Bono can sing. His voice just isn't very strong. Look at least he doesn't need autotune

5. Bad Discography : The Joshua Tree is U2's best album but its not the only good one. U2 always experiment and thats where a lot of bands fall down as they don't change their music

6. Bono (again) is a prick : Chris Martin is the ONLY other celeb I've ever heard him insult. He says good things about everyone else unlike other rock stars who diss everybody

7. Brutal live : pssssssst, how many of you have ACTUALLY seen U2 live?

8. Their last album was bad : give No Line On The Horizon a chane people, its actually a good record if you listen hrd enough

So thats about it, if anyone wishes for me to clarify any of the above points any more, just quote the point and I will reply to you giving more of my opinion on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭angie16ab

they're not my cup of tea at all, really not keen on bonos voice :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

karaokeman wrote: »
    3. Terrible musicians : The Edge is one of the world's most talented guitarists and if you don't believe me hear him live
    While I don't deny that he has a unique sound I always think of this when someone refers to the standard or quality of his playing:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I have always loved U2 and I always will.
    I know some say they've been more bland over the past few years, more fame-led whatever. I will clear up a few things about common reasons people don't like U2.

1. Bono : I know no one likes hearing politics at gigs, but seriously does a good band have to be perfect in every way. Bono's preaching is simply a sympathatetic (trying too hard) way of promoting U2's charity work. Even I agree this is slightly blown out of proportion but all he's trying to do is tell the fans that what his band have done so they can be proud. Also saving the world is just Bono's humour, its much better than stereotypical jokes we hear everyday discriminating against gays and blacks. They are just cruel

This joke is cruel:
    "U2 might publicly support development aid to Africa, but it is taking advantage of the same tax avoidance schemes that multinational companies use to deprive developing countries of important revenue," says Hans Zomer, director of Dóchas, an association of Irish development organizations. A report by Christian Aid, titled "Death and Taxes," estimates that developing countries lose $160 billion per year through multinational corporations' shifting of profits to avoid tax.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2009/0304/p12s01-wogn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

A singles band
    1-2 good singles on each album and the rest is..meh
    Also their albums just feel like a collection of songs unlike the really great bands whose albums are greater than the sum of their parts- if ya know what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like their very early albums. I'm not too keen on anything from The Joshua Tree, although that might have more to do with the songs being overplayed than the quality of the music. Some of their nineties music was good. Bono and The Edge also wrote one of my favourite Roy Orbison songs.

They're a bit like The Rolling Stones now. They haven't made a memorable album or song in years and are more famous for their massive concerts than their recent music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, that Roy Orbison She's A Mystery song is seriously beautiful. :)

Bit of confuzzlement over the Spanish "1, 2, 3, 14" thing though - he's actually chanting "11, 12, 13, 14" but mispronouncing the first three numbers.

If he was saying "one" anyway, it would be "uno" whereas he says a word that sounds like "onss" - what that is is "once" (pronounced "onsay") - 11, "doce" (pronounced "dosay") - 12, "trece" (pronounced "tresay") - 13. All of these of course should be enunciated with a lisp. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

never heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I never saw the appeal with them as a kid in the mid to late 90s. Kinda got into them (in that I didn't think they were shít and went to see them in Slane) around 2000, mostly because they were just a popular band around that time. Haven't listened to them since then really.

The only album of theirs I've listened to entirely is All That You Can't Leave Behind, and I'd have considered myself a bit of a music head up until the past 4-5 years (I'm getting old and uncool now). They've just never interested me at all, like I said the only reason I even slightly got into them was because all my friends were and I wanted to go to Slane for the craic. I can appreciate they have some great songs but I've just no interest at all in delving into their back catalogue (had no problem at all doing this with bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin).

May I just add that there are a lot of really good catchy pop tunes on All That You Can't Leave Behind, Beautiful Day isn't one of them. It's shíte and one of the worst songs on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Under a blood red sky was great.

Weird to think it was a quarter century ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Must admit Im a massive fan but their newer albums havent offered much.
    Still though, was at one of their gigs last summer and that 360 show is just nuts.

Advertisement