Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever liked U2?

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of hatred directed at U2 and their (insufferable prick of a) frontman Bono.

I like their old stuff; Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where the Streets Have No Name, etc. But as soon as Bono began to up the ante on his preachy "let's all save the world" crap, I became disillusioned, like a lot of other people.

So my question is - have you ever actually liked U2 at some stage or have you always hated them?

IBTRRPYTYLMB*

*In Before The 'Rabble Rabble Pay Your Taxes You Little Midget Bastard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I liked U2.

When it was out fightin those commies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Theyre a big fat meh.... some catch songs, but overall no..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

don't like them, don't hate them.
    they have few good songs, nothing too fantastic though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I still do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I like the U2 of the 80's and very early 90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Remember when they used to be in Irish textbooks: "Is maith liom ceol. Is e U2 an grupa ceol is fearr liom."

And in the German textbooks: "Ich liebe U2."

Hated them since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

they are like the simpsons, old stuff was good but new stuff is muck

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

Their older songs aren't bad, like you can't really dilike the music just beause of Bono!
    But no don't like them much anymore, and it seem to be a popular opinion at least with people I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Haven't released anything decent since 1991 and Bono's a cock.

In summary, no I never have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I like the U2 of the 80's and very early 90's
    Same here - when they were a great music band, creator of unique music and lyrics, etc.

Now they are just a corporate entity. Pass...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Liked the old stuff, gave up on them after Zooropa!

Hate Bono and his save the world rubbish, our country is in the shit now Bono why don't you come home and pay some taxes to help us out ya wankbag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Joshua Tree is still a great album.

I gave up on them in the 90's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

*In Before The 'Rabble Rabble Pay Your Taxes You Little Midget Bastard

It's okay, Degsy is still on a week long ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I used to be a massive U2 fan a few years ago - saw them in Slane for Elevation tour, and in Croke Park for Vertigo & 360 tours. Loved everything from Joshua Tree up to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb....then it just went "....meh".

All of a suddent their music didn't sound as great as it used to. Don't get me wrong, as a poster says above they have some great tunes "One, Where the streets have no name, Still haven't found what I'm looking for" and these are the ones that they will be remembered for imo...but standing against other music I've been listening to they don't compare anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I loved them when I was a kid - they'd a real punk attitude back then... their first two albums, 'Boy' & 'War' are excellent. They haven't done anything like that since then.

I think they peaked with "The Unforgettable Fire". It's one of the Top 10 best Irish records of all time (in most critical lists).

Since then, they've had some good songs, but very few decent albums (apart from maybe Acthung Baby) & their output for the last 15 years has been for the most part, mediocre.

If they had given up 15 years ago, their rock legendary status would have been that of "cool" & "influencial" instead of "annoying" & "shite", as it is now.

Some bands just can't quit when they're ahead. And U2 are one of the worst offenders for that - the older & less musically relevant they get, the bigger the tours & stage shows get. All of it just a distraction from the fact that they really aren't that good anymore.

I always thought that if they'd have gone the other way & stripped back their sound & concert venue sizes, for a more intimate approach to music, they'd be a whole lot better.

But I think that fame, money & the desire to continually be the "biggest band in rock music" is often the driving factor behind most, if not all, of what they do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Haven't released anything decent since 1991 and Bono's a cock.

In summary, no I never have.

this right here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i liked discoteque, elevation and hold me, thrill me, kill me, kiss me but thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

Remember when they used to be in Irish textbooks: "Is maith liom ceol. Is e U2 an grupa ceol is fearr liom."

Hated them since then.

Ah yeah I remember that. Being forced to say "The Joshua Tree" is my favorite album in Irish was a bit silly. Can't really fault them though. So yes, liked them and still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I was in Buenos Aires recently and U2 were playing 3 or 4 nights there. Argentinians couldn't believe that we as Irish people weren't fans of "U Dos".

Nah, their 80's stuff is good but that was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

It's okay, Degsy is still on a week long ban.

Degsy's banned? What did he do this time, start a thread about McSavIwontfinishthatname?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Joshua tree = class album. U2 are a savage band..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

They were good in the 70's, not so in the 80's once they discovered bombast, intermittently interesting in the 90's and meh ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Theyre pretty cat these days to be honest. Ive liked nothing since Vertigo and even then not so great

I did love that day out at Slane many moons ago though. Ireland beating Holland and U2+Moby FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Biggins wrote: »
    Same here - when they were a great music band, creator of unique music and lyrics, etc.

Now they are just a corporate entity. Pass...

Bang on there Biggins, the fact that they are willing to work with Will.I.Am just says it all, creatively exhausted.

I still think 'Achtung Baby' and 'Zooropa' were great, weird, alternative european rock albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I like their older stuff, one or two experimental albums in the Nineties were shyte. I didn't like their last album at all and I'm a bit sick of St. Bono tbh. But I can see pass his bullsh1t and I don't hold it against the rest of the band. So I now take each album as it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I like some of their songs, hate Bono insufferable prick that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

They have a few good songs, nothing that blows my mind. I wouldnt purposely seek them out to listen to them. I suppose we all have to automatically like them of we are "Begrudgers" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I do like a couple of their songs but over all not really. Wouldn't exactly the biggest Bono fan either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I think the problem with them is (like the Rolling Stones) once they started to focus on being a huge live band that their actual studio work went to shít and never recovered.

Basically they were good up until Achtung Baby in 1991. After that everything became a little hollow and repetitive, like they're deliberately crafting their songs for the live performances in front of large crowds of sheeple who love easy to remember tunes about nothing.

Even the uninitiated could stick on their best of's 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 and hear a world of difference between the two decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Pauleta wrote: »
    They have a few good songs, nothing that blows my mind. I wouldnt purposely seek them out to listen to them. I suppose we all have to automatically like them of we are "Begrudgers" :rolleyes:

Irish people aren't begrudgers, we just have an inordinate amount of irritating people in our media. I call it 'The Tubridy Effect'.

No beef with Bono himself though, he does good work, made some great music until the early nineties, and keeps his profile high so he can continue to be influential (to some tiny degree) as a human rights campaigner. I can see why he's irritating, but there are far worse people out there.

So yeah, on topic, I prefer the early stuff.

/hipster.

Advertisement