Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Rugby Trivialities

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You know how Leicester used to have their own unique lettering system instead of numbers? Any other teams do anything similar?
    In the era of leagues and what not league rules require teams to use standard numbering. Leicster's use of lettering is forbidden.

That said I beleive they still use it against touring sides.

I don't know of any team currently using a similar system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

Leicester & Bristol were the teams who both used letters instead of numbers.

Leicester used A instead of 1, B instead of 2 etc and Bristol used A instead of 15, B instead of 14 etc.

Leicester still have the letters on their jerseys under the crest.

Bath used to play without a number 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Why did I think it was harlequins?Was I on the antifreeze or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

John Eales kicked for Australia on a fair few occasions and was a very good kicker in fairness. They nicknamed him "Nobody" as in "nobody's perfect".

Here's a video of that actually, kind of funny, must be the only thing missing from Paul O'Connell's repertoire!

Probably one of the most concerted efforts by a crowd to put off a kicker! And this was before he was involved in that Bloodgate incident!

Anyone think of anything similar?

• Advertisement

This from today's Irish Times:
    On a separate note, Tainton did not expect the problems of four years ago with match balls, given the Gilbert ball for this year’s tournament will be the same as has been used since last November save for the markings. They will also be supplied with all six-match balls the day before the games in New Zealand, whereas four years ago were only allowed use two of the six.

Just wondering so, what is the deal with match balls? Surely it's not a law of the game, no? Reminds me of the problems O'Gara faced with the Italian's Mitre ball when Ireland played in Rome every two years. Incidentally, is it still the case with the Six Nations that the home team can pick whatever ball they want to play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Probably one of the most concerted efforts by a crowd to put off a kicker! And this was before he was involved in that Bloodgate incident!

Truthfully it only sounds like a few people who just happen to be under the mic more then a concerted effort by the crowd

Truthfully it only sounds like a few people who just happen to be under the mic more then a concerted effort by the crowd

Fair enough, could be like when the mic is too close to a few choice Munster supporters in Thomond Park!

This from today's Irish Times:

Just wondering so, what is the deal with match balls? Surely it's not a law of the game, no? Reminds me of the problems O'Gara faced with the Italian's Mitre ball when Ireland played in Rome every two years. Incidentally, is it still the case with the Six Nations that the home team can pick whatever ball they want to play with?

The offending item:

7739-max-460-main.jpg

Actually just noticed this from the France vs. Ireland warm up game, check out the 6:00 mark, think it's Dusatoir doing his best to put off Rogs:

• Advertisement

Actually just noticed this from the France vs. Ireland warm up game, check out the 6:00 mark, think it's Dusatoir doing his best to put off Rogs:

Oops, apologies, definitely Harinordoquy.

The offending item:

7739-max-460-main.jpg

Looks like Rogs'll've to be getting used to the Rhino ball for the next four years! Never really heard of them before this...

In the era of leagues and what not league rules require teams to use standard numbering. Leicster's use of lettering is forbidden.

That said I beleive they still use it against touring sides.

I don't know of any team currently using a similar system

Leicester Tigers used in in their recent win against the Maori All Blacks. Leicester's lettering scheme starts with the prop at "A", then goes back to the fullback at "O". A similar scheme at Bristol starts with the fullback and ends with the number eight.
    156333218_10_18a5jfk-18a5jfu.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=w6gUf2s7r7j3qHZYJpLLSA--

NZmaori2_460x230.jpg

Mathew_Tait51.jpg

4307910.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

A few years ago St. Michaels schools senior team had letters on the backs of the jerseys on a preseason tour and they later used them as training jerseys. They were specially commissioned pink and light blue made by kukri I think. you still see a few people wearing them around Dublin rugby clubs in training.

Just heard about this one, think it was the Western Province having to swap jersyes at half time due to a colour clash with the Griquas? There'd been an intercept try by none other than Munster's new signing Gerhard van den Heever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What the hell were they thinking with those jerseys??!?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's like the rugby edition of Where's Wally!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭phog

Just heard about this one, think it was the Western Province having to swap jersyes at half time due to a colour clash with the Griquas? There'd been an intercept try by none other than Munster's new signing Gerhard van den Heever.

]

During a league game in Musgrave Park one night Mick O'Driscoll threw a pass out to the TJ, after the halftime break the TJs came out in different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

phog wrote: »
    During a league game in Musgrave Park one night Mick O'Driscoll threw a pass out to the TJ, after the halftime break the TJs came out in different colours.

That does sound like something Micko might do alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

On a slightly similar note, didn't Isaac Boss score a try against England a few years ago where England had possession and he called for the pass, which he got?

Or maybe I'm just imagining it? Where's my coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Eponymous wrote: »
    On a slightly similar note, didn't Isaac Boss score a try against England a few years ago where England had possession and he called for the pass, which he got?

This happened to me at soccer on Wednesday, only I was the victim... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

prospect wrote: »
    This happened to me at soccer on Wednesday, only I was the victim... :mad:

I remember pulling that one. There were two Polish lads on the other team, and I managed to cop how they were calling for a pass to one another. Was standing behind one, called for a pass in Polish, and boom, in 1-on-1. They thought it was hilarious, which was lucky because they were more rugby player build than footballer build!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's technically a foul in soccer, under Ungentlemanly Conduct or something, I remember that from an old Shoot! magazine when I was younger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Clareman wrote: »
    It's technically a foul in soccer, under Ungentlemanly Conduct or something, I remember that from an old Shoot! magazine when I was younger :)
    But it seems reasonable to call the ref a F**king c**t?

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Clareman wrote: »

Think it's a penalty if you do the same on a rugby field.

Advertisement