Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Rugby Trivialities

Options
  • 11-04-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Just remembered a year or two back the AIL club final got decided by some mad old ancient rule, can't quite remember it, but something to do with either the alphabet or how many times each team'd beaten each other in the league beforehand? Think it was Shannon and Clontarf?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think it was who had scored the first try in the match after it was tied at the end of extra time. Was a hideously unfair way to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Why didn't they go for kicks?

Teferi wrote: »
    Why didn't they go for kicks?

Just wasn't in the laws of the competition. I think they just hadn't envisaged the possibility. Amusingly it happened the week or so after the penalties in the HEC semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I don't like the HEC rule for the end of extra time, ie that the team with more tries over the 100mins wins. It has about as much effect on a teams willingness to score tries as the colour of the paint on the grass. If anything, it'd encourage the team with that lead to just give away penalties in extra-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

i only agree with the first try rule at underage level where extra time is not allowed but at adult level it should be extra time and if scores are still level sudden death, and then a shootout where only 3 or 5 players and only those 3-5 be allowed take kicks as to stop another martyn williams moment

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    a shootout where only 3 or 5 players and only those 3-5 be allowed take kicks as to stop another martyn williams moment

The problem with that is that most teams have about 4 guys you'd expect to make such a sitter 100% of the time. Take Ireland at the world cup (hypothetically): I'd fancy Sexton/O'Gara, Kearney/Earls, McFadden/D'arcy, O'Driscoll/Wallace to make what is, essentially, a conversion of a try under the posts. You have to bring in the big guys to get people who miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

tolosenc wrote: »
    The problem with that is that most teams have about 4 guys you'd expect to make such a sitter 100% of the time. Take Ireland at the world cup (hypothetically): I'd fancy Sexton/O'Gara, Kearney/Earls, McFadden/D'arcy, O'Driscoll/Wallace to make what is, essentially, a conversion of a try under the posts. You have to bring in the big guys to get people who miss.

Make the kicks harder. You'd expect Geordan Murphy, Tommy Bowe or Paddy Wallace (to use non Leinster/Munster examples) to get a kick in front of the posts so why not move the kick to 5ms from the touchline etc and stick to a pool of nominated kickers.

For example, afaik, in the Munster squad the following players used to be kickers at underage, Deasy, Cusack, O'Gara, O'Leary, Murray, J. Murphy, Warwick, Jones and Leamy (who was meant to be pretty useful).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Make the kicks harder. You'd expect Geordan Murphy, Tommy Bowe or Paddy Wallace (to use non Leinster/Munster examples) to get a kick in front of the posts so why not move the kick to 5ms from the touchline etc and stick to a pool of nominated kickers.

For example, afaik, in the Munster squad the following players used to be kickers at underage, Deasy, Cusack, O'Gara, O'Leary, Murray, J. Murphy, Warwick, Jones and Leamy (who was meant to be pretty useful).

Youd think so :) 3:05

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Just remembered a year or two back the AIL club final got decided by some mad old ancient rule, can't quite remember it, but something to do with either the alphabet or how many times each team'd beaten each other in the league beforehand? Think it was Shannon and Clontarf?

i was there cheering on Tarf, it was 19 all at final whistle and referee awarded match after extra time to shannon as they had scored the first try. Desperate way to decide the game especially considering clontarf fans had outnumbered shannon supporters by 3 or 4 to 1.

on an even more interesting note the referee that day was Alain Rolland, the following weekend he refereed Leicester v Cardiff in the HC Semi final which went to extra time and then onto penalty kicks...a few strange weeks for Rollers!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

bamboozle wrote: »
    i was there cheering on Tarf, it was 19 all at final whistle and referee awarded match after extra time to shannon as they had scored the first try. Desperate way to decide the game especially considering clontarf fans had outnumbered shannon supporters by 3 or 4 to 1.

on an even more interesting note the referee that day was Alain Rolland, the following weekend he refereed Leicester v Cardiff in the HC Semi final which went to extra time and then onto penalty kicks...a few strange weeks for Rollers!

Christ either he was getting overtime or he was thinking "Not this **** again"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

tolosenc wrote: »

I would say have three positions for the kicks, centre, left and right. Then do away with the pool of kickers, forcing you to rank your kick takers, and put say O' Gara on the left touchline, Wallace on right, or whatever, you know? Wonder if the rules are like soccer in that only the players on the pitch at full time are the only ones eligible to kick? Is that not the way it would happen under RWC rules, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Back in the late 1800's/early 1900'2 New Zealand did a tour of G.B.

They caused a bit of a stir with their previously unseen performances of the Haka before each match.

When they were due to play Wales, the Welsh captain responded by singing the Welsh national anthem and the crowd joined in.

This was the first time a National Anthem was sung prior to a sporting event.

Now, that's trivial.

prospect wrote: »
    Back in the late 1800's/early 1900'2 New Zealand did a tour of G.B.

They caused a bit of a stir with their previously unseen performances of the Haka before each match.

When they were due to play Wales, the Welsh captain responded by singing the Welsh national anthem and the crowd joined in.

This was the first time a National Anthem was sung prior to a sporting event.

Now, that's trivial.

Is that actually true? Surely national anthems were being sung in soccer first, no?

bamboozle wrote: »

Was it not the other way round? I remember everyone expecting a penalty shoot-out having seen it in the HEC and being exceedingly confused when Shannon were declared winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Was it not the other way round? I remember everyone expecting a penalty shoot-out having seen it in the HEC and being exceedingly confused when Shannon were declared winners.

Yep, although the stadium announcer did announce the rule at full time when we were waiting for extra time to start.

What's the protocol now, extra time, then whoever scored most tries, if that's equal then whoever finished higher in league or does it go to penalties?

I remember one of the coolest things about rugby was the alternate jersey rule, harking back to the old days where if the visiting team had the same colour tops, the home team went back to their wives and got a different colour.

As far as I can ascertain, this rule only applies to international matches now. Sometimes not even, as was the case with last November's match against South Africa just so we could don a shoddy cotton centenary jersey.

In other competitions soccer-style rules are employed, but was it ever the case in either the H-Cup or Celtic/Magners League that the home team had to wear an alternate jersey where there was a colour clash?

Sometimes it makes no sense regardless, such as when Munster played Cardiff Blues last. Cardiff have a home blue jersey, Munster obviously red, so no clash, right? But Cardiff wore their pink alternate and Munster their black alternate jersey? Even though if Cardiff felt compelled to wear their alternate, surely Munster's red home jersey wouldn't've been that much of a clash?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sometimes it makes no sense regardless, such as when Munster played Cardiff Blues last. Cardiff have a home blue jersey, Munster obviously red, so no clash, right? But Cardiff wore their pink alternate and Munster their black alternate jersey? Even though if Cardiff felt compelled to wear their alternate, surely Munster's red home jersey wouldn't've been that much of a clash?

the only reason i can think of this is that the pink cardiff jersey could be viewed as an attack on the eyes. munster not wanting cardiff to have an unfair advantage wore a jersey that was equally offensive to the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I think in the world cup if it goes through extra time with both teams on equal points/tries it goes to a drop goal competition between the outhalves.

I'm pretty sure the teams are contracted to wear their "away" jersey a certain number of times, and even a third jersey now so they can sell more of them.

I was under the impression in the world cup it was a penalty kick off, but with each penalty from a different place.

• Advertisement

Each team should nominate a kicker and have them play HORSE... (call it RUGBY to get past linguistic issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Podge_irl wrote: »

The funny thing is that the rules for the competition are published on the IRFU website at the start of every year and people were confused on the last day. Each club gets the handbook and the referee and club officials are emailed a few days before the final to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Edit.

Drop kick competition would be class, but I think it does go to penalty kicks. From various positions would be best...

Edit.

Edit what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I like the fact that you can get a try without crossing the try line in so many different ways

Penalty try
    Base of the post
    On the line
    On the ref's foot (long shot I know)

Clareman wrote: »
    I like the fact that you can get a try without crossing the try line in so many different ways

Penalty try
    Base of the post
    On the line

Yeah I know, I always wondered why people don't just tap it off the padding around the posts more often if they're clear through...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

It needs to be the base of the padding and not just a tap on any part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kensutz wrote: »
    It needs to be the base of the padding and not just a tap on any part of it.

Does it though? It's been a while since i read my laws book but afair it doesnt specify the base.

Clareman wrote: »

Anywhere on the pitch you like? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Does it though? It's been a while since i read my laws book but afair it doesnt specify the base.

Yes it has to be the base. David McHugh told us that.

Advertisement