Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Rugby Trivialities

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Does it though? It's been a while since i read my laws book but afair it doesnt specify the base.

It has to touch both the padding and the ground as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kensutz wrote: »
    Yes it has to be the base. David McHugh told us that.

`
    i've always been told that by refs alright.

Just checked the laws again.

22.4 OTHER WAYS TO SCORE A TRY
    (a) Grounded on the goal line. The goal line is part of the in-goal. If an attacking player is first
    to ground the ball on the opponents’ goal line, a try is scored.
    (b) Grounded against a goal post. The goal posts and padding surrounding them are part of
    the goal line, which is part of in-goal. If an attacking player is first to ground the ball against
    a goal post or padding, a try is scored.

The word ground in therewould suggest it has to be at the base alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

`
    i've always been told that by refs alright.

Just checked the laws again.

22.4 OTHER WAYS TO SCORE A TRY
    (a) Grounded on the goal line. The goal line is part of the in-goal. If an attacking player is first
    to ground the ball on the opponents’ goal line, a try is scored.
    (b) Grounded against a goal post. The goal posts and padding surrounding them are part of
    the goal line, which is part of in-goal. If an attacking player is first to ground the ball against
    a goal post or padding, a try is scored.

It would be pretty hilarious to just casually tap it against the posts though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I don't understand why nobody has ever taken advantage of this and mauled towards he posts - with the padding, the post must be at least a foot wide. You couldn't get anyone behind it to get under the ball, it would be more or less indefensible.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I don't understand why nobody has ever taken advantage of this and mauled towards he posts - with the padding, the post must be at least a foot wide. You couldn't get anyone behind it to get under the ball, it would be more or less indefensible.

Wouldnt you first have to drive the opposition threw the post so you could get to it? And then somehow get the ball at the back to the level of the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I've seen it a few times where there was a ruck right beside the post and the SH didn't think to touch it down...

tolosenc wrote: »
    I've seen it a few times where there was a ruck right beside the post and the SH didn't think to touch it down...
    That's exactly the situation I had in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

I remember felipe doing it. He was being tackled and was never going to reach the line but he managed to ground it in front of the post against the pad. Clever work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Clareman wrote: »
    I like the fact that you can get a try without crossing the try line in so many different ways

Penalty try
    Base of the post
    On the line
    On the ref's foot (long shot I know)

How does this work?

How does this work?
    Presumably it counts only if the ref is standing in the goal area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It wold be pretty funny if it counted elsewhere

durkadurka wrote: »
    It would certainly change the game as a spectacle: the team with the ball would be chasing the ref around the pitch, and the defending team would have to form a bodyguard around him. Perhaps the most radical reshaping of a game since this episode in a soccer match a few years back:
    It concerns a match played between Barbados and Grenada in cup competition.

Barbados needed to win the game by two clear goals in order to progress to the next round. Now the trouble was caused by a daft rule in the competition which stated that in the event of a game going to penalty kicks, the winner of the penalty kicks would be awarded a 2-0 victory.

With 5 minutes to go, Barbados were leading 2-1, and going out of the tournament (because they needed to win by 2 clear goals). Then, when they realized they were probably not going to score against Grenada's massed defence, they turned round, and deliberately scored on their own goal to level the scores and take the game into penalties. Grenada, themselves not being stupid, realized what was going on, and then attempted to score an own goal themselves. However, the Barbados players started defending their opponents goal to prevent this.

In the last five minutes, spectators were treated to the incredible sight of both team's defending their opponents goal against attackers desperately trying to score an own goal and goalkeepers trying to throw the ball into their own net. The game went to penalties, which Barbados won and so were awarded a 2-0 victory and progressed to the next round.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/soccer/barbados.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Please tell me there is a video of that somewhere. :)

There's a brief video on The link.

durkadurka wrote: »

Can you imagine! Trying to chase the ref's bootlaces!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I smell an ELV. :D

In my head I've a vague recollection of the kicker for Japan being their prop at one point or another, does anyone have any examples of similarly unusual kickers for teams?

I mentioned recently watching Anthony Foley take the place kicks for St. Munchins in the Munster Schools competitions back in the day. Does that count? Actually he took the kicks to touch too.

I am/was a backrower and scored a game winning drop goal at u-16 level, that count? (I did get laps for trying it, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

In my head I've a vague recollection of the kicker for Japan being their prop at one point or another, does anyone have any examples of similarly unusual kickers for teams?

John Eales kicked for Australia on a fair few occasions and was a very good kicker in fairness. They nicknamed him "Nobody" as in "nobody's perfect".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I mentioned recently watching Anthony Foley take the place kicks for St. Munchins in the Munster Schools competitions back in the day. Does that count? Actually he took the kicks to touch too.

Ger Slattery took place kicks while a hooker at Munchins as well, not sure if it was for all games though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Denis Leamy took the kicks for Rockwell.

Can view clips on YT of Zinzane Brooke nailing a drop goal from about 35m and the hilarious one of Matt Dunning slotting one for the Waratahs when they had penalty advantage and needed a try in the closing seconds of a game. His reaction alone makes it worth watching.

GerM wrote: »
    the hilarious one of Matt Dunning slotting one for the Waratahs when they had penalty advantage and needed a try in the closing seconds of a game. His reaction alone makes it worth watching.
    I've never seen someone look so conflicted on a rugby pitch - I wonder what was going through his mind after it sailed off his boot? :)

What were the circumstances ?

The waratahs were already winning and the clock said 27 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it was to do with the fact that they needed a try bonus point to get through rather than just winning the match.

I think they needed to score 2 more tries, and yer man just wasted a penalty opportunity that would have put them 5 metres from the line with the throw-in. They didn't get them in the end, apparently.

He was trying to blast it away to get the penalty, needed a try. Accidentally scored.

In that situation, just fumble the ball...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I think they needed to score 2 more tries, and yer man just wasted a penalty opportunity that would have put them 5 metres from the line with the throw-in. They didn't get them in the end, apparently.

Think that was it, MB. I don't have YouTube or sports sites in work so cannot confirm. Waratahs needed the BP win to get into a play off spot I believe and missed out on it. He could try that 50 times and not score again.

You know how Leicester used to have their own unique lettering system instead of numbers? Any other teams do anything similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

You know how Leicester used to have their own unique lettering system instead of numbers? Any other teams do anything similar?

Bristol used to as well.

Another oddity was some teams not having a 13. Instead starting with numbers 1-12 and 14-16.

Source

Advertisement