Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Lane - businesses in Longford town

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Backstage Theatre may soon be joining this list if rumours are to be believed. Further funding cuts from The Arts Council coupled with an unwillingness by the local authorities to give any meaningful funding may force it to close. Every county around us has one if not two funded theatres and Longford cant manage one. This will see the musical society, Variety group, and several Panto and theatre groups homeless and deprive the town of so much. Lets hope the local authority steps up to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

time to lobby councilors election next year or perhaps have a meeting
    this town going down hill fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Daw

Deregos wrote: »
    Not sure if IRL was the station I'm trying to remember back in the eighties that had a daytime English DJ on? . . Mancunian I think . .can't remember his real name but he use to constantly refer to himself as "THE NUTTER" and his catchphrase was "Just call me the nutter" yet strangely "THE NUTTER" never actually ever did anything whatsoever even slightly "NUTTY" . . .except play lots of Big Tom . . occasionally Status Quo but plenty of Daniel O' Donnell :eek:
    We used to listen to the station at work and my friend would consistently ring them up for every competition going, he won loads of stuff . .tat mostly but it was a good laugh. .they eventually got pissed off with him ringing & winning nearly everything, so they banned him from calling altogether :D

First there was Midland radio Longford, they had fantastic studios in Annally Park but a very bad medium wave transmitter up on the hill at Paddy Callahans (Coppertit) near Ballymccormack cemetary, spent many a cold night up there with the engineer changing valves. They had a small FM transmitter at the house and it used to float off the band and come in on all the tvs in Annally Park, people watching Coranation Street would find themselves listening to Big Tom or Daniel O'Donnell, murder!!!!!

Advertisement