Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Lane - businesses in Longford town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Deregos wrote: »
    Just thought of that old gent 'Brady Brown's army surplus store' (wasn't he a captain in the army) which was at the top of Water Street for when you needed new DM's & combats with genuine bullet holes!

I always regret never going into Brady Brown's because the building once belonged to my grandparents and they lived there for some time (long before I was born!)

My God this thread brings me back to my childhood/teenage days in Longford.
    The Spinning Wheel is where I had my dinner on my Communion Day, there was the Salad Bowl (I think) restaurant where Herteriches is now.
    Going to the Earl Inn to play pool at lunch time and hoping the nuns in the Convent didn't see us cavorting with the lads from Mels.
    There was a little convenience store where Eamon Farrells photography is now, Fitzmaurices I think - used to do cream slices for 15p.
    Someone mentioned Scotts shoes, Killeens shoes were there first. There was also Scotts hot bread shop beside the Post Office (where the health food shop is now) and a Kylemore in the shopping centre where O'Connells jewellers is.
    Pat Higgins butchers on the Market Square. Rizzos hairdressers on the corner of Market Square/Earl Street. Is DBS (aka the dirty bun shop) still there?
    Then the place just beside Luigis (that is now Abrakebabra) there were many different chippers/fast food places there over the years)

I could reminisce all evening...

DBS is closed now... I think the people who owned it now run the shop in the train station.

You're right about that place beside Luigi's... there's been lots of different fast food places there. The earliest business I can remember there was a pizzeria, then later it was the Texas Grill.

Another place I just thought of is Caslins on Earl St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

where chans is now there used to be a pub the Europa if i recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Observer12

that's not memory lane!
    what about cameron's that used to be where the permanent tsb is? or razzmatazz that was where supermacs is now. was rebuilt to the misty midlands! i just about remember them!

If you want memory lane, I'm just about old enough as a very young child to remember the Castle which was replaced by the car park of Lyons' meat factory which was replaced by the White Elephant Shopping Centre :o I think it was demolished around '72 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Bought a coat in Brady Brownes when I was a young fella.Big tweed yoke.
    Slept in it many a night,lakes out of it...Indestructible it was,still have it too,somewhere.Could probably send it out to Japan to throw over one of those reactors,would sort it right out!
    Anyway heres a few from down that end of town for ye.
    Jenny Malones Bakery ,where the auto factor shop is now.
    The original Quinnsworths where the Credit Union is
    Lyons Pub where the cinema is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

Its fairly tough to find any images to go along with this stroll down memory lane . .Longford style.

This one on Flickr must be I'm guessing early eighties featuring a bent signpost for Knock!

4679663214_351777d649.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭baldbear

That bar hasn't changed anyway but its closed now. I wonder is that McGuinness standining behind the pole!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

There was also Scotts hot bread shop beside the Post Office (where the health food shop is now) and a Kylemore in the shopping centre where O'Connells jewellers is.
    I remember that shop, I never went in though.. They still have a shop in Athlone's Golden Island I think.

I'm too young to know most of these places (I only moved to Longford around 1997/1998), but some do ring bells, like Newsround and Chartbusters.

37155_450502854414_610194414_5154053_7260063_n.jpg

any one remember this trip back in time !!!

heres some more to look at

davehey79 wrote: »
    heres some more to look at

Great pics! Joe Lyons' hairstyle hasn't changed much in all that time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Observer12 wrote: »
    If you want memory lane, I'm just about old enough as a very young child to remember the Castle which was replaced by the car park of Lyons' meat factory which was replaced by the White Elephant Shopping Centre :o I think it was demolished around '72 or so.

yeah that's what i mean!!

is ron mullins still cutting hair in longford? i was home from england one weekend and decided to get a haircut so wandered around. saw he wasn't up to much so went in and got a haircut, although he seemed kinda annoyed that i didn't have an appointment so he gave me his card.
    then when i went back to england and listened to the breakfast show on xfm. christian o'connell used to send out tshirts to any one who sent in a good email, so i came up with a great story. but because i had used my own name before i needed a different one, so found ron mullin's card and decided that'll do.
    the next day, christian o'connell was about to read out the email when he said that ron mullins was one of the coolest names he ever heard, so i got a tshirt without him even reading the email i had made up!!
    wahey!!

Mighty Pics Dave :) . .But I can't get me bearings with this one . .What part of the town are we looking at here . .When was it taken & what was the occasion do you know?

155299.jpg

i'd say that's a corpus christi procession turning off main street onto richmond street. just a guess though.

i'd say that's a corpus christi procession turning off main street onto richmond street. just a guess though.

thats what i thought meself. the pics aint mine there on FB on a lad from town that takes pics page. so have to credit him for the pics. Bernard "Doc" Doherty is his name.

davehey79 wrote: »
    thats what i thought meself. the pics aint mine there on FB on a lad from town that takes pics page. so have to credit him for the pics. Bernard "Doc" Doherty is his name.

i wonder who the first doherty to call himself 'doc' was? he should've trademarked it or something!

I had considered that lads. However (& you'll have to forgive my pedantry) the streetscape isn't right, the Ulster bank building being missing is the main giveaway, that photograph must of been taken sometime in the early sixties judging by the cars on view . . I think I'm seeing a white Consul Capri (circa 1961-64) in the procession. .yet no bank building. :confused:

Heres an interesting find.

The McGuinness Collection

These photographs from the McGuinness Collection are shown here courtesy of Fionnbar Callanan, Mona Stanton, Niall Callanan and Richard D Callanan. They are the children of the late Richard J Callanan & Margaret McGuinness. Margaret lived with her uncle Frank McGuinness & his wife on Longford's Main Street from 1915. Over five hundred photgraphs in three albums make up this collection of political, millitary, paramilitary, social & family images mostly taken in and around Longford town between 1917 and 1922.

MGA-58-2.jpg
    4 Main St. (Stenson's)

B&T-Threat-Dec1919.jpg
    Threat signed 'The B&Ts' delivered to the Longford Main
    Street premises of Frank McGuinness(pictured above)

MGAS-01-3.jpg
    Campaigning for the imprisoned Joe McGuinness, 1917, Longford
    Main St. Mrs. Joe McGuinness(white flowers), on her right is Brighid
    McGuinness, on her left is Brighid Lyons(glasses) behind
    Maureen McGuinness

Boarded up now & boarded then!
    2395825290_c15151a30f.jpg
    Longford Boot & Shoe Company, 2 Main St. Proprietor Frank McGuinness, probably boarded up against threats by Black & Tans, 1920-21.

What a fnd Deregos,crackin stuff in there.
    Think youre right about the Corpus Christi pic.
    Think theyre headin down Dublin St from Main St.Think I can see the wall of the Longford Arms and front of Courthouse back up the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

The original Quinnsworths where the Credit Union is

I was just walking by that the other night and wondered what used be there. I had no idea it was Quinnsworth!

• Advertisement

Anyone able to decipher the 'offending' Irish lettering that had got the Black & Tans in such a tizzy.

Untitled_4_8.jpg

First bit-An teac - The House
    Eudaigh-could be Eadaigh-Clothing
    Gaedealaigh-could be Gaelic,or Irish.
    Or could be just a shop for Gay People!

First bit-An teac - The House
    Eudaigh-could be Eadaigh-Clothing
    Gaedealaigh-could be Gaelic,or Irish.
    Or could be just a shop for Gay People!

:D Ha Ha yes Dizraeligears . .That's obviously what had them highly volatile & easily offended, belligerent homophobic B&T's so upset.:D

Found a link to some more photos in the county archivehttp://www.longfordlibrary.ie/lib_arc_inside.aspx?id=13532

Some brilliant pics there!

It's a pity the photo files on the library website are so small...

Found this Here on Flickr . .Do ya remember Lorraine Fallon from Farnagh Stores?

2670309735_662e0997c7_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

How could we have forgotten cover to cover...

was that on market square? Cant think where it was but I know I was in in plenty of times

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Yea, I think there are Fas offices there now. It was nextdoor to Shanleys Fruit and Veg. The shop that struck fear into every child in the county for the last two weeks of August.

• Advertisement

Yea, I think there are Fas offices there now. It was nextdoor to Shanleys Fruit and Veg. The shop that struck fear into every child in the county for the last two weeks of August.

Tell me about it... going there towards the end of summer used to always throw me into a deep depression!

Advertisement