Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Lane - businesses in Longford town

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

That ghostly corpus christi procession is definitely heading down Dublin st alright.

corpus_christi_procession.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Deregos wrote: »
    That ghostly corpus christi procession is definitely heading down Dublin st alright.

That's a ghostly looking scene, right there!

Nice Photoshop work...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Used to do work experience at Graphic Visions, New St. beside Tally Ho back in the day.

Longford News as well of course, closed down last year. They moved around quite a lot!

John Joe O'Reilly's bar was an old favourite of mine before it closed...

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Used to do work experience at Graphic Visions, New St. beside Tally Ho back in the day.

Longford News as well of course, closed down last year. They moved around quite a lot!

John Joe O'Reilly's bar was an old favourite of mine before it closed...

Ah, I remember that place. There used to be a computer store there, too. Back in the 1980s my uncle ran a pirate radio station from the upstairs section of that building... proper affair with paid staff, advertising, news room, etc. It only closed down when the local radio licences were introduced and Shannonside came along.

Re. the Longford News... their 'newest' old office was beside Turners. And speaking of newspapers, I remember the Leader's old office on the Market Square beside Wigoders (also gone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 soookysue

Ah, I remember that place. There used to be a computer store there, too. Back in the 1980s my uncle ran a pirate radio station from the upstairs section of that building... proper affair with paid staff, advertising, news room, etc. It only closed down when the local radio licences were introduced and Shannonside came along.

Re. the Longford News... their 'newest' old office was beside Turners. And speaking of newspapers, I remember the Leader's old office on the Market Square beside Wigoders (also gone).

What was the name of that radio station - the only one I can remember is the one that was on the 2nd floor next door to the Market Bar (over what is now the Polish hairdressers/barbers).

Anyone remember hanging out in the pool room down the back of Peter Kellys bar where the court offices are now? It was the place to hang out:o

Also, I remember before Widogers there was a boutique called Stylines or something - spent many a saturday sitting on the floor outside the changing rooms waiting for my mother :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

soookysue wrote: »
    What was the name of that radio station - the only one I can remember is the one that was on the 2nd floor next door to the Market Bar (over what is now the Polish hairdressers/barbers).

Independent Radio Longford!!

i remember that, it was around when i was about 8!!

soookysue wrote: »

Yep, that's the one. It was beside the Market Bar and later moved to the premises behind the Tally Ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 soookysue

:confused: As far as I was aware Independent Radio Longford finished up when it left the premises beside the Market Bar (I had family members involved also!) - maybe it changed name when it moved over beside the Tally Ho...

Anyone remember that diner that was down Killashee Street where Chan's chinese restaurant is now - I think it was called the Hot & Kickin' Diner...

Here's something else I never realized . .

o_qmielurl.jpg

There was a large three story building nestled at the top of little Water St that jutted out on to the main st. I think it suited the streetscape particularly well.

It was probably knocked to widen access for traffic to the Camlin bridge . .Anyone know anything about it or when it was demolished?.

m_wnmcxq6h.jpg

This other photograph must have been taken from inside one of the windows of the demolished building.

I'd love to find a pic of the Camlin river facade of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

would it be the castle ???

• Advertisement

davehey79 wrote: »
    would it be the castle ???

It might well be Dave . .Looking again at this, I'm wondering if it could also be the old Odean cinema building on the other side of the Camlin in an earlier guise. The angle of the perspective could be playing tricks on my poor old tired eyes. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

what was in the building where the old cinema was pre-cinema? because as far as i know the original cinema in town was at the back of the houses as you go to what is Aldi now.

Not sure what the building was before it was a cinema Dave, but I'll try & find out.
    This is from the Leader about Paul Trimble.

Renowned projectionist and former cinema manager dies suddenly

7934935_large.jpg?1294995650

Published on Wednesday 3 January 2007 14:43

There was deep sadness and shock in the areas of Longford town and Legan this week as news of the untimely death of Paul Trimble spread. Generations of cinema-goers will remember Paul as the man behind over 50 years of cinema in Co Longford.
    The 72-year-old, who died from natural causes, was found dead at Farrell's flats on Bridge Street in Longford town on New Year's Day.
    Paul was a well-known and extremely popular man in Co Longford through his job in the Longford cinema since the early 1950s. He was known the length and breadth of the region through his work where he became an institution in himself.
    Paul started working in the Odeon Cinema in Longford in 1953 and worked as a projectionist for many years. In 1981, the cinema was revamped and Paul, having worked his way up the ranks through the years, became manager of the cinema.
    At that time, there were two cinemas in Longford - the other, Aldelphi - was located at the former Aldi premises on the Athlone Road in Longford town. Paul also worked for this cinema.
    An era came to a close in May 1997, when the Odeon Cinema ran its last reel of film following a 56 year history that was full of love stories, romances, the occasional tiff and a succession of magical memories.
    Speaking to the Leader at the time of the Odeon's closure, Paul said, "I will have many great memories but the important thing is that we will be back with a new fine cinema."
    The new cinema, Longford Cineplex, opened in May 1998 and Paul became Chief Projectionist. A friend of Paul's told the Leader that Paul liked "the hustle and bustle of the town and meeting his friends on Main Street and Ballymahon Street."
    Paul was a keen amateur photographer and was also an electrician in the 1970s/1980s. He was an avid supporter of Co Longford GAA attending many of the matches and he loved listening to country music.

Not sure if IRL was the station I'm trying to remember back in the eighties that had a daytime English DJ on? . . Mancunian I think . .can't remember his real name but he use to constantly refer to himself as "THE NUTTER" and his catchphrase was "Just call me the nutter" yet strangely "THE NUTTER" never actually ever did anything whatsoever even slightly "NUTTY" . . .except play lots of Big Tom . . occasionally Status Quo but plenty of Daniel O' Donnell :eek:
    We used to listen to the station at work and my friend would consistently ring them up for every competition going, he won loads of stuff . .tat mostly but it was a good laugh. .they eventually got pissed off with him ringing & winning nearly everything, so they banned him from calling altogether :D

That fecking Providers building . .How the ruddy hell did that ever get through the planning application process in the first place. . .Then again I suppose it was of its time, let's hope we can learn from our mistakes.

Providers.jpg
    Pic courtesy of here

This is the only pic I can find of what was there before.

providers.jpg

On the enlarged section you can see how the Permanent TSB building next door has also been significantly rebuilt & remodeled as well, however that particular building is not at all ashamed to embrace the pastiche.

Long live the pastiche! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

quality photo again.
    while providers was of it's time, the issue i have with that junction is that bit of the longford arms that sticks out on the main road. anytime there was ever any mention of upgrading that junction, it was always that bit of the building that screwed it up. at least with the bypass underway, it won't be a priority anymore.

so, if you could buy the providers building, what would you do with it??
    3 storey superpub?
    ground floor like escabar, 1st floor like any run of the mill club, 2nd floor a foam party haven for chicks.
    a fine 2 finger salute to jim reynolds!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Swift Signs...

:( My Dad co-ran that place years ago!

At first glance at this photo I thought 'wait a sec . .they're are no buildings like this in Ballymahon Street'.

4977286953_46f463e411_b.jpg

Then I remembered the arch window below the pediment on the Heatons building. Thanks to Kieran Coughlan for putting the above on his flickr page. The photo apparently features the first car in Longford, a Lincoln with the registration plate IX 1.

1279794919_20_Heatons%20Longford%20copy.jpg

Sadly the facade has lost many of its more interesting decorative features down through the years, especially its corinthian columns.

When Heatons refurbished the premises a few years back they demolished everything except the facade and built it up again from scratch, so I'm assuming there's some kind of preservation order on the front...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

I don't do Facebook meself, however I was recently directed towards a good somewhat similar page on it where 'Pat & Tom' reminisce about times past in Longford with some great pictures to go along with the bit of banter between them.

Heres the link for Longford Auld Fellahs

They don't seem to mind others using the pictures as long as you put in a link back to their page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=585649441483949&set=pb.585096204872606.-2207520000.1382288504.&type=3&theater
    1010509_585649441483949_1656537586_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=607166979332195&set=pb.585096204872606.-2207520000.1382288504.&type=3&theater
    1377424_607166979332195_1417921923_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=616145411767685&set=pb.585096204872606.-2207520000.1382288500.&type=3&theater
    fen.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610762625639297&set=pb.585096204872606.-2207520000.1382288500.&type=3&theater
    1374174_610762625639297_1150416851_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

cafe au lait thats the spot who remembers pauric clothes shop ware
    wards chemist is now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Jeez Mr. Blobby's! I used to cringe every time I saw that shopfront.

Was in Fortes a couple of times. Wasnt it called Tea House Forte? Not a very successful premises since. I used to like the internet cafe upstairs there.

there used to be a cafe on Ballymahon st round where Paddy Power (or some other betting shop) is now. Cant think of the name. To the right of Easons (Newsround!) as you'd be looking at it anyway.

The furniture man in the old Market House. The old Woods supervalu on Ballymahon St.

very old thread i know just came across it now - think the cafe you are talking about was called the pantry - lf so, loved that place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sammyb

Bought a coat in Brady Brownes when I was a young fella.Big tweed yoke.
    Slept in it many a night,lakes out of it...Indestructible it was,still have it too,somewhere.Could probably send it out to Japan to throw over one of those reactors,would sort it right out!
    Anyway heres a few from down that end of town for ye.
    Jenny Malones Bakery ,where the auto factor shop is now.
    The original Quinnsworths where the Credit Union is
    Lyons Pub where the cinema is now

God remember we all used to go into good ol Brady Browns in the mid 90's and buy our combats and docs.. Patches.. It was all the style.. Us girls were covered up in the 90's, not like nowadays! Ha.. Lord I sound old saying that...

Soon to be consigned to Memory Lane: the old swimming pool at the Market Square. Demolition is taking place this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

i remember kenny's original shop was burnt down but rebuilt in the same place.

I actually saw that fire start, was parked outisde the place eating chips from Luigi's one night. The shop had transformer type display lights. At the corner of my eye i saw one of them go out, thought to myself there's a bulb gone out. A few seconds later sparks started shooting out of it and hit the curtains or whatever material was in the window, they went up in flames like a shot :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Didn't Peter Forte run that take away The Moccambo? Not to forget Mick Kearney's who no longer is with us barber's shop beside the Market Bar.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Soon to be consigned to Memory Lane: the old swimming pool at the Market Square. Demolition is taking place this week...

didnt know they were knocking it down, is anything been built in its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

messrs wrote: »
    didnt know they were knocking it down, is anything been built in its place?

I'm pretty sure it's being left for future canal redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

I just came across this thread. I feel that I'm possibly of a generation ahead of most contributors. In the 1950s I was in the old Providers, then Kings Hardware. There was a central cash desk there to which the cash to and from the sales counters was sent in containers on overhead trolly wires. I bought most of my first tools in Hanawins across the street from the old gentleman himself, I still regularly use a small hand drill which I paid about 15/- for in 1962.
    Fred Brady Brown ran his business then at the upper end of Water Street, I got my working clothes there.
    The best place to eat was Lennon's Restaurant in Water Street, I think that it was run by Roger Kearns (who possibly was in Normandy on D day).

Longford changes, but so does everywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Jesus the pic of The Spinning Wheel brings back memories - I had my dinner there on my Communion Day. I also remember the Salad Bowl - it was beside Woods on Ballymahon Street (I think where Herterich's is now)
    Looking at the old Odeon aswell - there was an urban legend that the rats from the Camlin ran across your feet when you were in there.

Advertisement