Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Got a place in the Great North Run through the Daily Mirror ballot. Giving a lot of consideration to setting that as my goal race for the year. :)

Plan for this evening - bit of a session, 1 mile warm up, 20 min @ MP, 5 min recovery 5x2 min @ 5mile effort w/ 90 sec jog recovery, 1 mile cooldown. Really enjoyed this, felt strong throughout - so I'm pretty happy in general now :) 11.3km covered, average pace 5.41/km, average HR 157 / max 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Interesting session, where did you get it?

Blame ecoli :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Blame ecoli :pac:

It looks like it ticks all the boxes, would really enjoy that one.

• Advertisement

Plan for tonight - 6 miles easy. Done and dusted, 10km done, average pace 6.02/km, average HR 145 / max 167. Pretty relaxed throughout, enjoyed that. :)

Like all the cool kids, I had hill reps on my schedule for today. 6 x 1 min reps on the Kyber. Fun times :) With warmup, cooldown and jog back recoveries included, a total of 10.1km covered, average HR 161 / max (spike at the start) 213, average overall pace 5.47/km. Reps done at ~4.30/km pace. Pretty happy with the session overall, even if I did manage to arrive at the Kyber at prime buggy time so that meant having to step off into the grass/muck a few times...

Plan for today - 10 miles easy. Uneventful for the first 13km, until I was on the M50 bridge on the way back and I pretty much got knocked over by some fat bloke while I was passing him! Got a badly grazed knee and holes in the palms of both my gloves for my troubles, and not even an apology... :rolleyes: Finished the run anyway, and took a hell of a lot of rage into my Leinster match-watching (the last few minutes of that were not helpful :pac: ). Anyway. 16.4km covered, average pace 5.45/km, average HR 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Plan for today - 10 miles easy. Uneventful for the first 13km, until I was on the M50 bridge on the way back and I pretty much got knocked over by some fat bloke while I was passing him! Got a badly grazed knee and holes in the palms of both my gloves for my troubles, and not even an apology... :rolleyes: Finished the run anyway, and took a hell of a lot of rage into my Leinster match-watching (the last few minutes of that were not helpful :pac: ). Anyway. 16.4km covered, average pace 5.45/km, average HR 155.

Poor you. Hope you're ok? It's a bit unnerving to graze your knee as an adult. I did it (twice in 2 weeks) last year and it took ages to heal up properly... scabs are not as much fun as they were when I was a kid :rolleyes:

Cheeky fekker for not even check to see if you were ok! No manners <tut>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Jeez sometimes people are horrible. Hope your hands and knees aren't too sore. Like Emer, I'd a fall last year and the oul knee was sore for ages - still have a little scar :( Don't worry, karma will get him back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah hope you're alright. Down right rude of him. Some people think they own the foot paths.

I'm ok now, knee is a bit icky though. It's dressed and has been attacked with Savlon, and I have a rest day scheduled for tomorrow, so it should be ok - fingers crossed.

You exercisy people are the scourge of those poor souls only out walking to get them to their next meal. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

racheljev wrote: »
    Jeez sometimes people are horrible. Hope your hands and knees aren't too sore. Like Emer, I'd a fall last year and the oul knee was sore for ages - still have a little scar :( Don't worry, karma will get him back ;)

He's fat, karma has him for life :p

Skipped yesterday's planned run because the knee was still at me, decided to test it out this evening. Oddly enough, it's now less painful to run than walk, but annoying as hell either way. Kept it very short - 3.5km, around 6 min/km pace. Was starting to sting a bit at the end of that, so I think I'm going to need to keep the next few runs quite short because of that. This is so incredibly frustrating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Jeez RK that's so annoying. Hopefully it will heal up quickly for you.

Took another rest day yesterday to give the knee more of a chance to heal, and it definitely helped. Decided to chance another easy run this evening, lovely headwind and rain to help me on my way. 6.45km covered, 6.02/km average pace, average HR 140 / max 164. No pain out of the knee really while running, just felt slightly weird. Stung a bit when I stopped though, but I think that could be inevitable for the next few days. I'm going to give Wednesday's planned session (fartlek with 5k-paced intervals) a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

Wind was **** and I was a bit tight on time this afternoon, so I shortened the run to 8km easy. 5.51/km average pace, average HR 153 / max 173. Gonna try again tomorrow to get that session done.

Ended up doing a long run yesterday. 16km total - no paces or HR because I still haven't checked the Garmin. Did a loop in the Phoenix Park to start, then picked up a bag and ran to my mum's. Last few miles were pure misery - uphill, into the wind, bag chafing the side of my neck, and my gait slightly thrown off by a combination of the bag and the dressing on my knee... a barrel of laughs. Still glad to get it done though.

Ended up doing a long run yesterday. 16km total - no paces or HR because I still haven't checked the Garmin. Did a loop in the Phoenix Park to start, then picked up a bag and ran to my mum's. Last few miles were pure misery - uphill, into the wind, bag chafing the side of my neck, and my gait slightly thrown off by a combination of the bag and the dressing on my knee... a barrel of laughs.

Someone told me the other day to find the positives in training, ie when you run a hard session you say 'I couldn't do that last month/year'. Get to the end of a run like that and then say you're glad? Madness, but the hope is that when it gets tough on a run you default to positive thinking.
    Still glad to get it done though.

;)

• Advertisement

I'm reminded of the one where Mrs Doyle wants a good miserable pilgrimage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Don't forget to update Jantastic ;)

Plan for this evening - 4 miles easy. Didn't get out for a good while because I was waiting on an electrician to check something in my apartment, and when he hadn't turned up by 9.30 I just said feck it and went for my run. Average overall pace 5.42/km, average HR 147 / max 172. Enjoyed that, even if I did get interrupted by the sparks texting me after 10 to say he wouldn't be over... and that resulted in a slightly faster than intended km after that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Lol our electrician called round at 10pm last night - only 8 weeks late!:mad:

Bally8 wrote: »
    Lol our electrician called round at 10pm last night - only 8 weeks late!:mad:

He finally arrived this evening... turns out it was actually the immersion that was fecked, the bottom element in the tank was causing the entire circuit to short out. He did a quick fix on that, but the whole bottom element needs to be replaced. Fun times...

Half time in the Clasico, can update log now :pac:
    2-0 to Barca thanks to Pedro and a Dani Alves wondergoal

Quick little session this evening - 1 mile easy, 2 min On/Off, 90 sec On/Off, 1 min On/Off 30 sec On OFF 1 mile easy (Ons @ 5 mile race pace). Didn't get out until about 8.30 because I had to go buy food (to replace what I lost from my fridge at the weekend), but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the weather had improved a lot from what it was on my miserable cycle home from work. Enjoyed the session anyway, felt good once I got settled into it. :) Total distance covered 5.7km, average overall pace 5.27/km, average HR 155 / max 174.

Plan for this evening - 4 miles easy. Did 6.7km, average pace 5.47/km, average HR 151 / max 174. Normal, uneventful Thursday night easy run, just cold as hell out there! :pac: Just a little easy recovery and a few strides on Saturday morning before Raheny on Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck on Sunday

I don't want to read about another near miss on Monday, get the job done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck on Sunday

I don't want to read about another near miss on Monday, get the job done ;)

No pressure so, J!!

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    No pressure so, J!!

It's ok, if I fluff it I'll just tell him not to read my log :pac:

Advertisement