Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Today's 200km ride. Near Vicarstown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

moonboy52 wrote: »
    The majority I think it is.

Waterford City entrance has a few K of Tarmac, and a few other spots has Tarmac, but not been that far to say for sure.

I'm on a 35c Hybrid, and some parts are quite bumpy.

Don't know how people on Road bikes enjoy it though, but I see a good few Road bikes out on it.

Plenty of smooth tarmac, but 99% of other areas are very fine gravel over rough tarmac, the remaining sections are all nearer Waterford and will be finished as above shortly. All of it is easily doable on 23mm road tyres (as I did on Saturday, zero flats). Lots of points of access and lots of areas for refreshments - about every 8-10km. SOme fantastic scenery, particularly on the western end.

Treat yourself, you'll not regret a day on the Greenway

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

18198245_10154476328026517_908390762840921816_n.jpg?oh=adb014dc7f782f561d7e71843f8c4564&oe=59C144DF

Nothing like trying a new line on a red-loop and coming around a corner to face a drop and a rock-garden in short order. To roll or jump? Knowing that an overshoot landing is gonna get "interesting" on a hard-tail.

Decisions decisions ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lemming wrote: »

Decisions decisions ... :pac:

Jump but soak it up in the shoulders or indeed it will be an interesting landing :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Checked on the Neddy on the way home
    IMG_20170427_172248_227_zpsaklbzbbe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

TheBlaaMan wrote:
    Treat yourself, you'll not regret a day on the Greenway

You're right man, I went as far as Kilmacthomas today.

It's only the Waterford City side that is a bit rough yet.

No problem on a road bike for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

Szczawnica bike greenway in the Pienny mountains, Polandattachment.php?attachmentid=416168

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Sneem over the weekend
    that's a lovely bike, but that's some fierce cross-chaining.

A few from the Waterford Green Way. What a fantastic amenity to have down there. I now it's only open on the Waterford side but can't help but feel corners were cut here more so than the Dungarvan side.

On another note cycling back from Dungarvan into that easterly was almost the death of me. :eek:
    20170503_141417_zpsyta254i7.jpg
    20170503_150001-EFFECTS_zpsgm7lkkgw.jpg
    20170503_143528_zpsidr3bdry.jpg
    20170503_163735_zpsht3eospf.jpg
    20170503_155533_zpss2ka86rd.jpg
    20170503_155635_zpsuk04f8te.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What was it like on the 700c tyres?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

iwillhtfu wrote: »

On another note cycling back from Dungarvan into that easterly was almost the death of me. :eek:

Beautiful photos iwillhtfu.

That wind was intense. Kilmacthomas to Waterford was the hardest thing i have done so far.

Thargor wrote: »
    What was it like on the 700c tyres?

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The surface from about 3km outside Waterford to about 8km is pretty poor in so far as it's inconsistent and has a few suspect patches of chippings that would easily catch you out. Also the edges are all kinds of dodgy if you stray off line. I saw a few lads almost coming off when waving as they passed a drifting towards the edge of the path.

I wouldn't do it on gp4000s2 as I feel they have a very weak sidewall and you do pinch a good few stones on the loose stuff.

On the Dungavan side they seem to have used finer chippings which to be fair would be well bedded in now but even still the difference is noticeable. If I were bringing kids on bikes I'd bring plenty of plasters as I'd say skin wouldn't stay attached long if they came off.

Another note and again I know it's not entirely finished. Not one public bin on the entire route the only one i passed wasn't even on the green way proper it was on the Dungarvan cycle path.

I don't think I'd do it on a Sat/Sun as I'd say it would be swamped with people. I'd say I passed about 60 people today most on bikes and those walking were just wandering around in the centre which is fine to be fair but on a more crowded day it would be irritating.

One thing definitely required is a bell. They could also do with installing more stay left signs and kilometer markers would be an idea.

Stopped for a coffee in bigger café I don't recall the name loads of outdoor seating and good coffee/cake.

On a down side passed a few "lads" drinking bottles of beer on the stone benches. Also I see cyclist dismount signs at the underpass' some of which have been ripped off presumably in protest. I'm not sure of the need to dismount but definitely caution and extremely slow. I've no idea why they made them so narrow.

The tunnel thing is a nice feature and was wonderfully cool today but pitch black on the way through. Mental note remove sun glasses before entering :o

All in all a very pleasant day out and would be worth the bollocking for calling in sick tomorrow if anyone should be leaning that way :D

I realise this is a rambling answer so mods might be better in Tell us about your cycle thread. My bad

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Beautiful photos iwillhtfu.

That wind was intense. Kilmacthomas to Waterford was the hardest thing i have done so far.

It had me in the hurt box for a good while alright. :eek:

Waterford - Dungarvan is the nicer leg as you're cycling to all the features. I found Kilmacthomas - Waterford nice but a tad featureless but not in a bad way just in comparison to the mountains and sea Dungarvan side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Took a spin out to the official opening of the new Clontarf cycle path this morning.

416475.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Doesn't matter how long it takes. When you're up here you are the King of the Mountain :)
    21c60jb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how long it takes. When you're up here you are the King of the Mountain :)

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^Top of Kippure.

And hes still about 10 metres from the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

retalivity wrote: »
    ^Top of Kippure.

And hes still about 10 metres from the top!

On the way back down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

IMG_20170507_WA0002.jpg

Top of the Wicklow Gap today. Savage day for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

DzqXm0g.png

One more pic from sunny Wicklow. Absolutely stunning day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

uzRfosy.png

And maybe just one more while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Were the roads jammed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thargor wrote: »
    Were the roads jammed?

Glendalough was a no go zone, personally I'll be sticking to the l-roads on weekends in weather like this from now on. Sally gap is usually fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Blessington Lakes........

BNGAP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Hauki wrote: »
    uzRfosy.png

is that above the Guinness estate? (looking at the roadside wall now)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

aloyisious wrote: »
    is that above the Guinness estate? (looking at the roadside wall now)
    Yes, Luggala - heading towards the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

33690085774_c9630ae879_c.jpg

34402772591_ca53804b85_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Great shot, looks a nice bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Hauki wrote: »

Tell me you were still pedalling when you took that and I'll be seriously impressed😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

416759.jpg

416760.jpg

Advertisement