Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Fraud

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Why shouldn't I ask these questions? They're fairly genuine. How can people who have not contributed anything to the tax system be entitled to SW benefits?

The reason I focused on those 2 countries is that they are not part of the EU. I am aware that, under EU laws, other EU citizens are entitled to claim SW benefit in our country. But these 2 countries aren't. So how does that work?

The guy in question said he came here from Nigeria. The women in question were dressed as Roma and said they were Romanian - well, the younger of the 2, who was translating for the older woman did - the question being over their habitual residence forms.

I don't know if Nigerians and Roma have contributed to the economy. Last I heard, many immigrants from countries such as Nigeria were complaining because their Visas would not allow them to take up work. The Roma, in general, are not known to work.

The shouting and roaring proved that this individual felt he was entitled to a number of things, but he wasn't prepared to do what was required, same as everyone else, to get them. The reason the shouting and roaring came to the attention of everybody in that office is because the individual before him had been an Irish guy who behaved in somewhat the same manner and basically demanded his money, while telling the unfortunate person behind the hatch that he couldn't remember what days he'd worked in previous weeks, she'd have to just take it from him that he did, and give him his money. That SW officer was having a bad run of it that morning.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop attacking me, as I'm actually trying to have a reasoned debate here. The original question was SW fraud. My original answers to that was firstly, how are people who have not contributed to the system entitled to payments (and that applies to both Irish and foreign people, which I specified in my second post) and who looks into that.And the second question was would the return on cracking down on fraud outweigh the huge amount of money that would be needed to set up the appropriate systems in the SW to deal with it. These posts could be going on forever, made more difficult by the fact that they're being had through a computer screen.I am genuinely not a racist individual. No matter what I say here is probably going to be construed as racist by yourself, due to the nature of this communication. I can see that our SW system is extremely generous, to a fault, and of late months I've been spending a lot of time in their offices, therefore these are things I wonder about (while waiting for an hour or so in the queue).

Maybe we should just let the thread get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dan_d wrote: »
    How can people who have not contributed anything to the tax system be entitled to SW benefits?
    Generally speaking, they’re not.
    The reason I focused on those 2 countries is that they are not part of the EU.
    Romania is part of the EU.
    I am aware that, under EU laws, other EU citizens are entitled to claim SW benefit in our country. But these 2 countries aren't. So how does that work?
    Romanian and Nigerian nationals (or anyone else for that matter) who have worked in Ireland for more than 2 years will be entitled to some benefits, such as Jobseekers Benefit.
    I don't know if Nigerians and Roma have contributed to the economy. Last I heard, many immigrants from countries such as Nigeria were complaining because their Visas would not allow them to take up work.
    That doesn’t make any sense – what kind of visa (aside from a tourist visa) does not allow the bearer to work? I think you’re thinking of asylum seekers, who are not permitted to work.
    The Roma, in general, are not known to work.
    I don’t think I want to go down that road.
    I'd appreciate it if you'd stop attacking me...
    I’m not attacking you, I’m questioning your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

djpbarry wrote: »
    Generally speaking, they’re not.

Rubbish, anybody can sign on after school and never work, they can then collect E10 less of an OAP than people who have contributed all their lives.

Both these scenarios can and do happen, I can only presume that you have the rosiest pair of glasses ever

Rubbish, anybody can sign on after school and never work...
    They can claim Jobseekers Allowance because they satisfy the habitual residency requirement. A recently-arrived immigrant cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

djpbarry wrote: »
    Generalisations based on nationality and/or race qualify as racist in my book. Split hairs all you want.
    Why? Has “racist” become politically incorrect?

Is it necessary for me to point out that I did not label dan_d a racist, I labelled his post racist?

The irony about your post is that you made reference to skin colour whereas the original poster you took to task did not. I think you may need to be a bit more careful when playing the racist card.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    The irony about your post is that you made reference to skin colour whereas the original poster you took to task did not.
    Ah, so a statement must make explicit reference to appearance, rather than nationality, before it may be construed as racist/xenophobic/discriminatory? I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Superdry06

What is the outcome in this shocking scenario..

A college student aged 19 is receiving a VEC grant for college which pays for the fees and gives an allowance every month which works out at e60 a week roughly. The student's mother receives an allowance for being a single parent with a dependent child in full time education.

All seems fine so far until.. The single mother doesn't give a penny to her child by the way of money for day to day needs, doesn't put food on the table, no money given for cloths etc. The child goes to relatives and begs for money to get her by. When relations got out of hand she got the VEC Grant cut on the child and as a result the college student cannot continue with college.

What can the student do? What are her entitlements?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Old thread is old

Cheers

DrG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement