Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show 01/04

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The-Rigger wrote: »
    95% of his facebook page fans seem to think it was amazing, lol.

I'm still a little unsure about what the trick actually was.. all he did was describe his accident, close his eyes & yell 'your granny'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That Keith Barry "performance" was embarrassing to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Dont see how ye think it was a fix. Do ye not think it is magic. If all his things were a fix he would be nowhere now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

closeline wrote: »
    Dont see how ye think it was a fix. Do ye not think it is magic. If all his things were a fix he would be nowhere now.

Omg you guys!!! Yes! don't you realize it was MAGIC!!!

wooooooooo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Jeez I hope it wasn't a fix. Becuase whatever was "fixed" didn't really work.

Can you explain the "trick" or the "magic"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

You can't polish a turd ;)

That's an absolute classic :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Are you being serious? He is an illusionist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Look yes i do agree that it wasnt his best performance,and yes maybe i do like him because he is from the same street as me,whats wrong with supporting your own?,he is not doing any harm he is doing what he always wanted to do,Keith started doing magic in a restaurant in Waterford in his teens,it was a dream he had to be a magician and he became one.

Ok he might not to be to everybodys liking but so what,but he is out there making a name for himself,and fairplay to him,he wanted to be someone when he was child and now he is.He is living his dream so good luck to him.

I have the same fondness for him you have for the same reason-being from the Deise but to-night's performance was pretty bad tbh. I like others here was left scratching my head in bemusement thinking wtf is going on.
    I've seen him be a lot better.

The unplanned whacks across the face that he got made it one of the funniest Late Late episodes ever. It's the best I've seen since Rhys Ifan's comments

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The unplanned whacks across the face that he got made it one of the funniest Late Late episodes ever. It's the best I've seen since Rhys Ifan's comments

You've a little soft spot for the Ifans episode, so you do! ;)

• Advertisement

You've a little soft spot for the Ifans episode, so you do! ;)

It was wonderful. Ifans is the successor to the likes of Oliver Reed, who livened up television with his antics before he sadly passed away. I love hellraisers :)

It was wonderful. Ifans is the successor to the likes of Oliver Reed, who livened up television with his antics before he sadly passed away. I love hellraisers :)

Agreed.

And the interview will go down with infamy on here due to the DLB moniker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

It was wonderful.

Agree with you on that. It made for great TV and I love seeing Tubs squirm. :D bet he won't be invited back in a hurry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Basq is going to be sorry he missed this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I know the weekly Late Late Show thread has become a big draw for many posters but there seems to be an inordinate amount of contributors posting purely to make derogatory comments about the guests.

On other occasions I might not have felt this as keenly but tonight I couldn't help but be affected by the comments directed at people with whom I am friends. The undercurrent of casual homophobia running through many of the comments posted whilst Barry Dignam and Hugh Walsh were onscreen made me sad. Similarly the comments directed towards Frances Black, a recovering alcoholic, were callous in the extreme.

I don't want to pick out any posts in particular - it's more the tone of the whole thread that leaves such a bad taste in the mouth and it seems to be getting worse every week.

Maybe Frances Black is fair game as she is a minor celebrity and has spent much of her life in the public eye but the levels of abuse accepted in the Late Late thread seem out of kilter with other threads in the Television Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I know the weekly Late Late Show thread has become a big draw for many posters but there seems to be an inordinate amount of contributors posting purely to make derogatory comments about the guests.

On other occasions I might not have felt this as keenly but tonight I couldn't help but be affected by the comments directed at people with whom I am friends. The undercurrent of casual homophobia running through many of the comments posted whilst Barry Dignam and Hugh Walsh were onscreen made me sad.
    You will find that some of us on the thread tonight were very happy to see a couple like Barry Dignam and Hugh Walsh on LLS, a couple who are clearly very much in love. I for one sincerely wish them well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

On other occasions I might not have felt this as keenly but tonight I couldn't help but be affected by the comments directed at people with whom I am friends. The undercurrent of casual homophobia running through many of the comments posted whilst Barry Dignam and Hugh Walsh were onscreen made me sad. Similarly the comments directed towards Frances Black, a recovering alcoholic, were callous in the extreme.

I don't want to pick out any posts in particular - it's more the tone of the whole thread that leaves such a bad taste in the mouth and it seems to be getting worse every week.

I think it is unfair to say this.

IMO the majority of posters were positive about the two fellas.

There may have been the few muppets yes. Unfortunately you get this in life everywhere not just here on a Friday night.

I am going to read back to see specifically the homophobic comments versus the supportive comments versus the comments that did not make any reference to their sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

For what it's worth, Keith Barry just tweeted ...
    My slot was cut short and rushed but did my best. For the skeptics who think it's fake get to a live show and decide for yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

^lol. no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

amdublin wrote: »
    I am going to read back to see specifically the homophobic comments versus the supportive comments versus the comments that did not make any reference to their sexuality.

"TIME PLEASE PEOPLE.. have you no homes to go to"...

some people dont know when to leave the pub (or the LLS thread)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Remember Ant and Dec in the morning time - one 1st April they did a joke when Dec fainted live and had to cut to an ad break so nursey could come to his aid - ITV's phone lines jammed with parents/kids trying to see was he all right - that's all I could think of watching that fella last night - it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another week of missing all the fun:(

Maybe Frances Black is fair game as she is a minor celebrity and has spent much of her life in the public eye but the levels of abuse accepted in the Late Late thread seem out of kilter with other threads in the Television Forum.

I see you're new to Boards. Head off somewhere else if you don't like it here. Dainty little bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i find that gay couples on a talk show discussing their engagement/wedding every bit as abhorant and evil as a straight couple doing same.

i find that gay couples on a talk show discussing their engagement/wedding every bit as abhorant and evil as a straight couple doing same.

It was boring in the extreme. It's also objectionable because it is like the rest of the recent turd polishing in the Irish media - talking up how great everyday things are, and how we should be thankful for the little things, in the wake of the financial crisis. It's diversionary rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The posters on this very thread are the first to complain if anyone crosses the line with regards to homophobic or cruel comments. A few weeks ago, a poster (who I think has learned his lesson) posted some awful comments in this thread, generated at least 10 reported posts, and got banned for his trouble.

The only reported post in this thread was the delightful comment by Ally Dick 3 posts above this one, and he got an infraction for his trouble.

If you think a particular post has crossed the line, the best course of action is to report it. Click the report.gif icon beside the post, and the moderators of this forum (including me) will treat any reported posts with the utmost importance.

I wouldn't be in agreement with your sentiment that posters come on here to give abuse to guests and presenter.

It is a thread that is different to a lot of the other threads on the TV forum given that it has evolved in to a live drinking and craic session. It is basically what makes the LLS bearable to watch.

I have reread over the posts last night and have noted that there were a few homophobic comments (muppets like this are found everywhere not just on this thread), comments about Frances Black being boring - which I think she was (drinking or not) and Keith Barry being rubbish - which he was. What is there to say about the above?????

I know sometimes the lingo that is used on the thread can appear to be "in jokes" - but anyone who asks for an explanation of certain nicknames (DLB in particular) is always told what it stands for.

It is all just a laugh on a Friday night. Don't think about it too much would be my advice.

I know sometimes the lingo that is used on the thread can appear to be "in jokes" - but anyone who asks for an explanation of certain nicknames (DLB in particular) is always told what it stands for.

I completely agree. It would be a bad thing if this became a clique that only the "regulars" posted in. If anything the regulars welcome newbies all the time and these newbies tend to turn into regulars.....Post 655 is not indicative of the regulars attitude.

@JohnFaltstaff I hope you will stick around and see the craic that the majority of people have on here on Friday nights (I am not referring to the muppets and the muppet remarks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mranthrope

Did you hear that.. He challenged Tubridy to do a bit of research before the show.....

Someone should do some, the first few civil partnerships have already happened. I read about them in several newspapers.
    RTE's quality is ever-descending. News is just Pravda for the government. Research is non-existent or of poor quality. As for entertainment, what entertainment?

As for the magician, no pulse would have him on the ground due to hypoxia. It wasn't even approximating credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Do people not have a right to say what they want about these two lads. I have something to say but i know i would get reported for it but i shouldnt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement