Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Sorry to hear that , worth going to the buy and sell mountainbike Ireland facebook page and posting this , the members of that group might come across it if the thief tries to sell it in the north or here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

rubadub wrote: »
    The link seems to be down, he says so himself.

https://twitter.com/BreifneEarley/status/648492862368272384

https://www.facebook.com/pedaltheplanettv/posts/996264187061808

seems to have been just in the back of a car.

This one is a good news story, bikes recovered and in original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kiith wrote: »
    Left the front wheel, which they couldn't get off (Kryptonie lock), but took the rest.
    Sorry to hear that. What was the rear lock out of interest, as most people have the cheaper lock on the front. What model was the kryptonite?

The gardai has this on twitter too.
    CPiDFIBWcAAdNOa.jpg:large

D lock would usually be securing the rear wheel which is typically more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sorry to hear that , worth going to the buy and sell mountainbike Ireland facebook page and posting this , the members of that group might come across it if the thief tries to sell it in the north or here

No results on Facebook for buy and sell mountainbike Ireland or for buy and sell mountain bike Ireland. What's the site called?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i had the front wheel locked similarly to the photo above, with the chain part looping around to the rear wheel and around the bike rack. Should have had the rear one locked, but i guess i just didn't think it was ever likely to happen where i locked it. I'll find out tomorrow what work will do, as they are not happy with the security company that monitors the area (bike was stolen on Saturday, and they told no one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

No results on Facebook for buy and sell mountainbike Ireland or for buy and sell mountain bike Ireland. What's the site called?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/490954040982138/

Buy & Sell MTB Ireland

Often see people post about their stolen mountain bikes on that site , a lot of the users will say they'll keep an eye out for it on the trails

Thanks very much. I don't know what kind of person would saw through a home's railings and take children's bicycles. It's just such a vile thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

For those working in East wall area there is a gang of youths roaming looking for easy robs.

There has been a spate of bicycle thefts in the area over the past few weeks, with a number of bikes actually being stolen from bike racks in the last 10 days.
    The bikes were taken after hours however with help from local security CCTV footage some of the perpetrators have been caught and are pending prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Same in the business park I work in (Santry) - two attempts over last three weeks, first one successful (a new Giant hybrid stolen), today someone must have scared them off as they left the bike ready to roll.

Cheeky barstewards - they robbed a front wheel from one bike and installed it on another one that was locked by front wheel only... Need to send an email describing good locking techniques around the office *again*.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Alek wrote: »
    Cheeky barstewards - they robbed a front wheel from one bike and installed it on another one that was locked by front wheel only... Need to send an email describing good locking techniques around the office *again*.

Near where I lock up my bike there's a group of people who only seem to ever lock their bike by the front wheel, sometimes just by a spoke. They are all quick release wheels too. The locks aren't great anyway, but they could at least give themselves a fighting chance.

I don't like to blame the (potential) victim, but these people need to open their eyes. I forgot my tether for the front wheel one day there last week so I had to bring the wheel into the office with me. There was no way in hell I was leaving an easy to swipe front wheel along with a choice of easy to steal rest-of-bikes to create a fully working bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cant say for certain the bike was stolen but saw 2 males who were of a certain "category" carrying a hybrid minus the front wheel down Princes Street this morning just before 10am.

grey coloured frame, didn't catch the make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I had 2 bikes stolen from my shed last Saturday in Tallaght. A Giant Defy 5 red and black and a Cube CLS hybrid grey colour. Gutted. I've checked the usual sites and nothing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

Hi guys,

Just had both bikes stolen from shed in Goatstown today.
    Cervelo S5 with Dura-ace 9000, white and grey, cosmic elite wheels and white walled tires.
    Cervelo S2 with RED 22 crankset, DT swiss wheels, Black and red gloss frame. 3T step and bars. Prologo saddle.

The S5 is pretty std, but the S2 is unique, the red 22 stands out and the DT swiss wheels.

Any ideas where to look or could i ask anyone to keep an eye out? 54cm frames on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

willow46 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Cervelo S5 with Dura-ace 9000, white and grey, cosmic elite wheels and white walled tires.
    Cervelo S2 with RED 22 crankset, DT swiss wheels, Black and red gloss frame. 3T step and bars. Prologo saddle.

The S5 is pretty std, but the S2 is unique, the red 22 stands out and the DT swiss wheels.

Any ideas where to look or could i ask anyone to keep an eye out? 54cm frames on both.

that is painful....

not likely to see machines of that value on Irish sites...but...i wouldnt put up "stolen" ads incase the thief does decide to advertise..
    maybe keep an eye on ebay...as i reckon..and its just an opinion...that these high end bikes are being shipped abroad..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hi guys,

Don't live far from there myself,were they stolen during the day?

There is no way that all these bike thefts are just the thief hopping into a garden and getting lucky. Do you reckon people are being watched?

Thefts go up when employment goes down.

But yes, there's someone buying stolen bikes and not being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Don't live far from there myself,were they stolen during the day?

There is no way that all these bike thefts are just the thief hopping into a garden and getting lucky. Do you reckon people are being watched?

If I was a scumbag looking at robbing high end bikes I'd probably start on a forum like this and in strava. Looking at the map of logged rides makes it easy to see where the bike resides.

If I was a scumbag looking at robbing high end bikes I'd probably start on a forum like this and in strava. Looking at the map of logged rides makes it easy to see where the bike resides.

You can set Strava to start at a point half a mile from your home, and anyone with any sense will do so.

Do not have Strava. Garda said i was followed home. And it is really sad to say i've already a private message saying this guy was offered my S5 for €1200. Hand on heart i would never ever buy a bike that i thought looked too cheap to be real. You guys know the feeling when you've worked your butt off to buy something and then boom its gone… Gutted. Everyone always says ah insurance, but its not the same and you pay for that claim….

p.s. Garda is a cyclist himself and said thieves follow you home, then use Google earth maps to see entry and exit points. The bike is either shipped if very high-end or another cyclist looking for a deal will snap it up.

• Advertisement

Realistically you never here if anyone's junker bike being stolen so yes I'd say people are being followed home and watched. It's a joke in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

p.s. Garda is a cyclist himself and said thieves follow you home, then use Google earth maps to see entry and exit points. The bike is either shipped if very high-end or another cyclist looking for a deal will snap it up.

It is very much like the cars in 80s and 90s its so easy to rob the bikes and move them. If the thread has thought me anything its that you have take all the steps to avoid been the victim of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Do not have Strava. Garda said i was followed home. And it is really sad to say i've already a private message saying this guy was offered my S5 for €1200. Hand on heart i would never ever buy a bike that i thought looked too cheap to be real. You guys know the feeling when you've worked your butt off to buy something and then boom its gone… Gutted. Everyone always says ah insurance, but its not the same and you pay for that claim….

Did you get the details of the guy selling the bike??

I saw somewhere before a little fracker chip that you could stick in your seat post or something like that,wonder why they never took off? Seemed like a good idea!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

a little fracker chip that you could stick in your seat post
    Is the idea you set it off remotely and frack the thief's arse apart?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

On behalf of a friend:

ROSE XEON CRS stolen on 11/10/2015 from apt in Citywest, Saggart. Bike was fitted in full SHIMANO ULTEGRA groupset, distinctive REYNOLDS ASSAULT carbon wheels with VITTORIA RUBINO PRO tyres. Other components:
    - XPEDO THRUST pedals
    - FSA handlebar
    - DEDA ZERO 130 mm stem
    - SELLE saddle

365417.jpg

BOARDMAN PRO TEAM HYBRID also stolen the same night.
    Bike on mix of SRAM RIVAL groupset with AVID JUICY 5 brakes and MAVIC AKSIUM DISC wheelset.
    Other components:
    - BROOKS B17 NARROW saddle
    - ERGON bar handlem
    - DEDA ZERO stem and seatpost.

365415.jpg

Also stolen: CUBE HYPE women specific bike. Bike was fitted with mix of SHIMANO XT / LX groupset, wheels on APEX RIMS and SHIMANO LX hubs. Other components:
    -BROOKS B17 WOMEN saddle
    - ERGON bar handlem
    - MAGURA HS22 hydraulic brakes
    - SUNTOUR suspension fork
    Bike and rack attached to seatpost and ORTLIEB handlebar bag mount.

365416.jpg

Please PM me directly if you come across any of the bikes or parts listed above.

A new Boards.ie account <snip> was set up and then private message sent saying offer €1200 for the S5. Sent it straight to the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

You can set Strava to start at a point half a mile from your home, and anyone with any sense will do so.

That's why I put privacy zones at my house and office. I know someone in the club who was annoyed that the privacy zone ruled him out of any segments in the local area so he turned it off but to me I'll take not appearing on a leader board over my bike being stolen any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

check_six wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, if this week's Web Summit has taught me anything is that you need to innovate to bring in the megabucks. We need to rethink the nature of security, make it a little less passive and a little more active with a little bit of some kind of social media cloud based jiggerypokery added in.

Ladies and Gentlemen, what I'm proposing is a seat post concealing a CO2 actuated bad guy harpoon.
    Step 1 - A bad guy cycles away on your pride and joy without your permission. The bad guy sensing circuitry will activate the device.
    Step 2 - Some kind of webby appy social media wizardry happens and you are alerted on your smart device to 'spike', or 'harpoonerite' your launcher. (The boffins will figure out all these minor details, I'm just here for the big picture!).
    Step 3 - Boom!!! Harpoon in the fundament for a surprised looking bad guy.
    Step 4 - Aiieeee!! Follow sounds of distressed bad guy to collect your bike.

I'll let you all know when I launch the kickstarter campaign...!

Oh, if anyone can think of a snappy name for this device, please forward it on. There will of course be a carbon version for the weight conscious.
    Beasty wrote: »

We may be thinking along the same wavelength here. Maybe you'd like to get involved in the marketing phase? I feel if we can convince the CO2 cylinder producers to advertise the fact that their gas capsules can be used both for re-inflating your tyres *and* harpooning bad guys in the backside we can achieve some really effective synergy.

I'll let you know when we're meeting the CO2 dudes.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »

Might patent that,you want in?

Advertisement