Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157651541502429/

Stolen bikes recovered by AGS waiting to be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I returned from holidays yesterday to find that my 2 bikes were stolen from my shed in the back garden (in Ballinteer area). We are in a mid-terrace house with no other access to back garden, so the culprits would have had to climb a number of neighbours walls to even gain access to our back garden.

The 2 bikes were as follows (images attached):
    Specialized Tarmac Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
    Please let me know if you see these bikes advertised on any other sites or can help in any way.

snip pictures snip

Man, I feel so sorry for you. I hope you get them bikes back! Scumbags whoever took them

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SmallFrog

Deedsie wrote: »

all those bikes combined are prob worth maybe 500-600 quid.
    where are all the bikes stolen from back garden sheds in leafy south dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's been lots of expensive bikes stolen from all over Dublin, and Ireland. South Dublin doesn't have the monopoly on expensive things.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Deedsie wrote: »
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157651541502429/

Most of them look like they'd be abandoned rather than stolen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

rubadub wrote: »
    Now you have gone to the other end of the scale. I think it would take me just a little more time to get 3 mountain bikes, 2 hybrids and a couple of road bikes into my attic than a wad of €50's or bar of gold.
    Well good thing I was talking about someone who couldn't be bothered moving 2 bikes worth nearly 5 grand then, which could have been done in one trip, 5 minutes work before you go on holiday. My bike isnt even worth a grand and I wouldn't be able to relax if I was abroad and knew it was sitting in a shed waiting for someone to come along and grab it, it goes in my attic room even if Im only away for a weekend, my laptop, drone and pc also hidden in the house. If you cant be arsed then Im afraid it is slightly your fault, just on the radio today that breakins are up 50% on last year and last year was a big increase on the year before aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    5 minutes work before you go on holiday.
    You should get a job with a removals company or in a warehouse paid by the job. Reminds me of lads in work where we have to price jobs,
    "how long will this take"
    "bout 5 minutes"
    "I'll be back in 10mins and get 2 so"
    "are you fcuking joking me!"

How long would it take you to move 2 bikes indoors?

that depends on a lot of factors.
    You haven't thought this through properly.

If it was light bikes as pictured, if I came home and my housemate said "get my 2 bikes into the attic -timer starting NOW", I would probably be 25-30mins at it, between finding keys for the shed, keys for the backdoor, moving stuff in the shed, moving furniture around to make room coming in the back, taking off wheels, finding a stable enough chair as I have no ladder to the attic. Not sure a wheel would even fit in the attic hole.

Just like my guys in work, who will take 5mins once they have everything sourced and prepared and ready to go.

I do hide stuff myself by the way, and would similarly advising taking bikes inside, all I was responding to was it being as easy as sticking a bar of gold in the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Edit: I would imagine that a garda campaign publicising the prosecution of people who buy stolen bikes, and the fact that this crime on their record can prevent their getting visas in countries like the US, would be helpful.

Before they think about a publicity campaign, they'd have to think about actually doing some prosecutions for buying stolen bikes. I don't think this has ever happened.

rubadub wrote: »
    If it was light bikes as pictured, if I came home and my housemate said "get my 2 bikes into the attic -timer starting NOW", I would probably be 25-30mins at it, between finding keys for the shed, keys for the backdoor, moving stuff in the shed, moving furniture around to make room coming in the back, taking off wheels, finding a stable enough chair as I have no ladder to the attic. Not sure a wheel would even fit in the attic hole.

Just like my guys in work, who will take 5mins once they have everything sourced and prepared and ready to go.

I do hide stuff myself by the way, and would similarly advising taking bikes inside, all I was responding to was it being as easy as sticking a bar of gold in the attic.
    Personally I leave my bike in our attic room as soon as Im finished with it, Ill time how long it takes this evening just to settle this important argument, Id say its around the 90 second mark so apologies for exaggerating when I said it would have taken them 5 minutes to save €5000 euro worth of bikes. Slightly pedantic of you to be arguing about the time it takes to get a bike in an attic as if that was the point I was making, you'd expect a mod to warn someone about derailing a thread with that kind of crap not start it. I asked you how long it would take you to move 2 bikes indoors then if attic access is such a struggle in your house for some reason, the end result will be the same, shed bikes stolen, indoor bikes not stolen.
    SmallFrog wrote: »
    that depends on a lot of factors.
    You haven't thought this through properly.
    Lets think it through then:

Bring 5k worth of bikes indoors before leaving country --> Get to keep your bikes

Leave 5k worth of bikes in garden shed before leaving country --> Bikes will be stolen.

Really regretting posting this complicated and controversial concept of not leaving thousands of Euro worth of valuables out in the garden now, didn't think it would be such a source of debate...

Slightly pedantic of you to be arguing about the time it takes to get a bike in an attic as if that was the point I was makings out in the garden now
    You were making out like it was the exact same effort as sticking a gold bar in the attic or hiding it. For most people I know it is certainly not the case, there is significantly more effort for most people and this is why I guess many do not do it. I was not trying to be pedantic, just realistic.

You appearred to be confused why people would not do it, your particular house set up might mean there is very little effort involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Well good thing I was talking about someone who couldn't be bothered moving 2 bikes worth nearly 5 grand then, which could have been done in one trip, 5 minutes work before you go on holiday. My bike isnt even worth a grand and I wouldn't be able to relax if I was abroad and knew it was sitting in a shed waiting for someone to come along and grab it, it goes in my attic room even if Im only away for a weekend, my laptop, drone and pc also hidden in the house. If you cant be arsed then Im afraid it is slightly your fault, just on the radio today that breakins are up 50% on last year and last year was a big increase on the year before aswell.

What's preventing these scumbags to break into your house and steal your bikes, laptop, drone and pc (I assume you also have a tv)? If they were able to lift something from a mid-terrace house passing through several back gardens, they can enter your attic by removing a couple of tiles from the roof and cutting throw the plaster/insulation (unless you have a layer of concrete).
    I am 100% with Qualitymark on this we have to stop blaming the victim: it looks like you are blaming this guy for buying a couple of high end bikes and not having locked them in a safe while he was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Artstaaar

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12028663_10154230248133626_5175028968838254047_o.jpg

My bike just got stolen from outside my house in Glasnevin. Its a matte black Ridgeback Velocity with Continental tires. It doesn't have the holder on the back like in this picture, no mud guards either. It has a bell that's a face of a punk guy with a blue mohawk, although I imagine that's been ripped off. Also had a medium black and orange Kryptonite U-lock attached to the part above the krank. Its darker black than in this picture. Please keep your eyes peeled.

Please feel free to email me at <snip> with any information.

darconio wrote: »
    What's preventing these scumbags to break into your house and steal your bikes, laptop, drone and pc (I assume you also have a tv)? If they were able to lift something from a mid-terrace house passing through several back gardens, they can enter your attic by removing a couple of tiles from the roof and cutting throw the plaster/insulation (unless you have a layer of concrete).
    Ah FFS :p

They're not interested in the tv, they're not interested in the car, most of them aren't very interested in getting into a house either, all that is hard work and risk, they're opportunists and a bike in a shed is the perfect opportunity for them, easy sale for cash, mostly untraceable, guards don't really give a sh1t and it even carries them away from the scene faster than they arrived.

Why are people struggling to understand this? The people lifting the bikes out of the sheds are probably passing on thousands of Euro worth of tools and lawnmowers aswell, can you not use your brains a bit and see the difference?

darconio wrote: »
    What's preventing these scumbags to break into your house and steal your bikes, laptop, drone and pc.
    My housemate keeps a ~€1500 MTB in the kitchen extension. I was saying we should at least lock it up to furniture or something so it could not physically fit out of the house with the lock in place. We have had signs of the back gate being scaled a few times, and marks on the window in the extension.

We have few valuables lying about and what I fear is that they will see the bike and then decide it is worthwhile breaking in, and fleecing the rest of the stuff they find, as you say. While if it was in the shed they would take the bike and hopefully head off. With a crowbar it would be about as easy to get into the house as the shed.

It would be a good bit of a job dragging it up the stairs and landing each time. There is significant effort and care has to be taken not to damage the walls, stairs etc.

In the shed we have chained numerous bikes together so they cannot fit out the door.

the best solution is to hire a security guard and seat him next to your shed door.
    It would take a pretty inventive or creative thief to penetrate this level of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Get a flood lamp with a motion sensor that will light up your garden like the blazes of hell if man cat or scumbag tries to get near the shed door.
    I have one above my back door and you can't step foot into my garden to get anywhere near the shed without it triggering. Plus I have an angry dog that sleeps in the kitchen with a garden view that will go ape at anything in the shadows.

What if there's a power failure. Immediately knocks out one of your defences.
    Happy hunting for any thief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Ah FFS tongue.png

You can see the funny side, I'll admit I've been exaggerating, however you have yet to see the worst of it.
    I come from a country where people had to place security bars on the windows because of the increasing occurrence of theft and break-in : thieves got smart and moved to the upper floor.
    We are talking about professionals with no remorse, who's only purpose in life is to live another day to steal as much as they can.
    They're not interested in the tv, they're not interested in the car, most of them aren't very interested in getting into a house either, all that is hard work and risk, they're opportunists and a bike in a shed is the perfect opportunity for them, easy sale for cash, mostly untraceable, guards don't really give a sh1t and it even carries them away from the scene faster than they arrived.

In that case we can beat the system by placing every valuable in the shed anyway they will only look for the bike won't they? ;)
    Why are people struggling to understand this? The people lifting the bikes out of the sheds are probably passing on thousands of Euro worth of tools and lawnmowers aswell, can you not use your brains a bit and see the difference?

I've never owned a lawnmower worth more than a couple of hundred euros and the average set of tools in a shed is not worth more than 500€ (brand new, you can halve the price for used items): however many theft of tools were reported in the past from shed/building sites.

Actually I was looking at this as we speak: we better start shifting our spade and lawnmower in the attic, you'll never know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Hi all, posting this on behalf of a mate.
    Breifne Earley the guy who cycled around the planet has had his bike stolen and his mates also from the Roscommon side of the bridge in Carrick on Shannon yesterday.
    ashttps://www.facebook.com/pedaltheplanettv
    you might expect this is a bike with significant sentimental value so if you can will you please keep an eye out for them,
    Apologies for non face bookers but that's all I have.
    Thx B. For the advice.
    Moonshadow.

The link seems to be down, he says so himself.

https://twitter.com/BreifneEarley/status/648492862368272384

https://www.facebook.com/pedaltheplanettv/posts/996264187061808

seems to have been just in the back of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Some nasty creeps sawed through the railings of a friend's home, off Mount Tallant Avenue and stole his 11-year-old's and 13-year-old's new racers, intended for them to be able to cycle to school. The swines stole the bikes locks and all, intending to work on the locks later. The kids were crying and crying (11-year-old) and furious (13-year-old) and their trust is destroyed.
    May the thief have the luck they deserve.

364198.jpg

364197.jpg(For some reason only one of these images is showing…?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Trying for the second bike

364197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Not to be one of those people but do they seriously have nothing better to do? The fcuking Walking Dead on O Connells street and surroundings is A-ok, go get them cyclists instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Not to be one of those people but do they seriously have nothing better to do? The fcuking Walking Dead on O Connells street and surroundings is A-ok, go get them cyclists instead...

I got the feeling from the tweet they'd taken the bike from a scrote and were publishing the picture to see would anyone recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yeah and what about all the unsolved murders!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bike was nicked from the "secure" underground carpark in work today, along with 7 other bikes. ****ers got in via a seperate entrance in the apartments next door, which none of even knew existed. Left the front wheel, which they couldn't get off (Kryptonie lock), but took the rest.

No my actual bike obviously, but this is what it looks like.
    10320914_10203789611474605_780775393916850262_o.jpg

I'm angry now :mad:

Advertisement