Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just registered my Surly DT.
    Painless.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Is there anything that can be done about bikes that you suspect to be stolen? Are the Guards interested?
    Spotted some suspicious ads on adverts last night. No seller feedback and crazy prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

shane1981 wrote: »
    Is there anything that can be done about bikes that you suspect to be stolen? Are the Guards interested?
    Spotted some suspicious ads on adverts last night. No seller feedback and crazy prices.

No, Gardai not interested. Without a victim you can't prove a crime has taken place. Posting links here without proof could also be defamatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I found a damaged bike in Goatstown - the lock is stored, so the bike could have been stolen before being damaged, OR was in an accident and the owner didn't recover it. In case they are online - here's some photos (we have Frame Number too) - contact me if you know an owner:

Make: Giant
    Model: Escape
    Colour: Black
    Past: ex- Irish Cycling Safari's (not theirs anymore) so could be UCD student's?

http://imgur.com/a/w5qF4/

oCqvFLwm.jpg
    qYZsWatm.jpg
    0AmzxLom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AirCooled

Long shot but you never know....

Bike was taken from a steel cage in the Marker Hotel car park, Dublin 2. The cage was cut apart and a number of bikes were taken.

Sorry I can't post photos as I don't have enough posts.
    I had to remove http from the start of the below link as I don't have enough posts to put up links.

://s223.photobucket.com/user/GarConArt/slideshow/Santa%20Cruz%20Chameleon

- Red Santa Cruz Chameleon frame (small)
    - Pace RC 31 Carbon fork (rigid)
    - Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels
    - XT/XTR groupset
    - FSA crank
    - BBB carbon bars and seat-post
    - Other BBB hardware

The frame is distinctive as it is an older model which didn't have rear disc brake mounts. At the time Santa Cruz offered an adaptor which this bike has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

AirCooled wrote: »
    Long shot but you never know....

Bike was taken from a steel cage in the Marker Hotel car park, Dublin 2. The cage was cut apart and a number of bikes were taken.

Sorry I can't post photos as I don't have enough posts.
    I had to remove http from the start of the below link as I don't have enough posts to put up links.

://s223.photobucket.com/user/GarConArt/slideshow/Santa%20Cruz%20Chameleon

- Red Santa Cruz Chameleon frame (small)
    - Pace RC 31 Carbon fork (rigid)
    - Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels
    - XT/XTR groupset
    - FSA crank
    - BBB carbon bars and seat-post
    - Other BBB hardware

The frame is distinctive as it is an older model which didn't have rear disc brake mounts. At the time Santa Cruz offered an adaptor which this bike has.

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/GarConArt/slideshow/Santa%20Cruz%20Chameleon

Santa%20Cruz%20Chameleon%20014_zps0irqdfep.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@AirCooled
    That's a real bummer.
    Beautiful bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AirCooled

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @AirCooled
    That's a real bummer.
    Beautiful bike.

Thanks for embedding the photo.

I'm very pissed off, especially as professional cutting tools were used to get to the bike and remove it as it had two very good locks. I used to bring it into the apartment but thought the cage looked good and there are other nice bikes there.

The management company are being very unhelpful regarding cctv footage. Anyway, the Guards are going to contact them but I'm not optimistic.

But you never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm very pissed off, especially as professional cutting tools were used to get to the bike and remove it as it had two very good locks. I used to bring it into the apartment but thought the cage looked good and there are other nice bikes there.

The management company are being very unhelpful regarding cctv footage. Anyway, the Guards are going to contact them but I'm not optimistic.

But you never know...

Maybe send the management company's manager a registered letter addressed to him or her by name straightaway (most CCTV is wiped after 24 hours) requesting them to hold the CCTV for the Gardaí?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used to bring it into the apartment but thought the cage looked good and there are other nice bikes there.
    Experience and many other posts in this thread (to late for you I know) show that those cages in apartment blocks do nothing except give thieves somewhere to get there work done quietly and away from prying eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

But you never know...

Sounds like my story. Bike locked in underground carpark with CCTV cameras on all entrances. Bike had a very sturdy lock, cut with what looks like a mini angle grinder.

Guards came, took a few notes, said its a familiar story, said they would follow up with management company to get CCTV footage.

Got a stock garda letter about 8 weeks later saying the incident was still under investigation.

Id rather a quick call to say "we cant see the faces in the footage" or "we couldnt get footage off the management company".

Right now it feels like he took a few notes, done no further investigation and just sent a stock letter to give the illusion of work being done.

Ive given up on a bike. Cant bring it to the apartment, and if i cant keep it in the carpark, whats the point.

At some stage people will start putting their own micro-cameras up to cover bike parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Is anyone missing a mens street bike (blue)?

D6 area there's been a bike left against a lamp post for the past week. Very public place. No lock and yet seems to be left alone.

What should I do ? It's clearly been abandonded. Would be great to reunite etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

eladnova wrote: »

D6 area there's been a bike left against a lamp post for the past week. Very public place. No lock and yet seems to be left alone.

What should I do ? It's clearly been abandonded. Would be great to reunite etc...

Lol its probably a bait bike so best of luck lol

eladnova wrote: »

Maybe drop into Rathmines garda station and tell them?

I was watching a sad little bike outside Lidl; it remained chained there for months but has now been attacked by termites who have eaten away most of the parts, leaving only the bereft frame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was watching a sad little bike outside Lidl; it remained chained there for months but has now been attacked by termites who have eaten away most of the parts, leaving only the bereft frame.

Termites got my saddle outside Bus Aras after a few hours, they are indeed rampant in some parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jos the Boss

My bike was stolen very recently from the bike rack in underground car park of Loreto Abbey Apartments in Rathfarnham, D14.

As I use a decent lock and cable they resorted to slicing through the bike stand so an angle grinder must have been used. Doesn't seem like any other bikes taken so they obviously targeted mine!

It is a white/black Mens Lapierre Shaper 500. Less than a year old.

Unable to attach images/links in this post. Here is part of the link to the image instead (missing the www. at beginning)
    gripsbikes.co.uk/images/FICHELP-5720-Shaper-500.jpg

FICHELP-5720-Shaper-500.jpg

Any help appreciated...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

My bike was stolen very recently from the bike rack in underground car park of Loreto Abbey Apartments in Rathfarnham, D14.

As I use a decent lock and cable they resorted to slicing through the bike stand so an angle grinder must have been used. Doesn't seem like any other bikes taken so they obviously targeted mine!

It is a white/black Mens Lapierre Shaper 500. Less than a year old.

Unable to attach images/links in this post. Here is part of the link to the image instead (missing the www. at beginning)
    gripsbikes.co.uk/images/FICHELP-5720-Shaper-500.jpg

FICHELP-5720-Shaper-500.jpg

Any help appreciated...Thanks

Sorry to hear about that. It's a nice bike. I have something similar myself.
    Hope you had the serial number recorded. Report it stolen. You never know. I had a bike stolen a few years back from a "secure" basement. Went to the guards with the serial number and 9 months later I had it returned to me.
    Also, go to a few car boot sales or markets in the city. I was told there's one such market near Gardiner Street on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Gardai in the Wexford/Kilkenny/Carlow area have released some pics of stolen recovered I think the below bike is very distinctive and the only one of note in the collection.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/gardasiochana/23592218023/in/set-72157662624868730/

In case anyone recognises it.

23592218023_94d6263ece_b.jpg

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Gardai in the Wexford/Kilkenny/Carlow area have released some pics of stolen recovered I think the below bike is very distinctive and the only one of note in the collection.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/gardasiochana/23592218023/in/set-72157662624868730/

In case anyone recognises it.

23592218023_94d6263ece_b.jpg

Looks like a Liv Avail Advanced 3? Or maybe not; the pink seems to be slightly different on the downbar. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/avail.advanced.3/19184/77375/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wrmwit wrote: »
    ...Also, go to a few car boot sales or markets in the city. I was told there's one such market near Gardiner Street on a Saturday morning.
    North Cumberland Street market - (between Parnell Street and Cathal Brugha Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Looks like a Liv Avail Advanced 3? Or maybe not; the pink seems to be slightly different on the downbar. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/avail.advanced.3/19184/77375/

Absence of disc brakes on the pictured, as well as being an alu frame (see the welds) while the avail advanced is carbon pretty much rules that out :) Most likely this is a few years old Avail 3 (most current models are sold under the Liv marque) based on the shifters and the fork seems to be carbon, and so the colour scheme is just different.

How can you tell the fork is carbon?

I'm sure you're right; I just checked back a couple of years. I was also looking at the Giant UK colours, which are different from Giant US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

How can you tell the fork is carbon?

I'm sure you're right; I just checked back a couple of years. I was also looking at the Giant UK colours, which are different from Giant US.

Partly because bladed forks tend to be a bit less common in alloy, but largely because the alloy fork on lower tier Avails is pretty clearly alloy with welds at the top, as well as a bit of a "step" forward at the joint of the fork top/steerer to the legs, per that link

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jos the Boss

wrmwit wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that. It's a nice bike. I have something similar myself.
    Hope you had the serial number recorded. Report it stolen. You never know. I had a bike stolen a few years back from a "secure" basement. Went to the guards with the serial number and 9 months later I had it returned to me.
    Also, go to a few car boot sales or markets in the city. I was told there's one such market near Gardiner Street on a Saturday morning.

Thanks wrmwit and Wishbone Ash. Yep I have serial number and reported it to Gardai. I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds. Good to hear that you got yours returned so I hold out some hope of retrieval!

cython wrote: »
    Partly because bladed forks tend to be a bit less common in alloy, but largely because the alloy fork on lower tier Avails is pretty clearly alloy with welds at the top, as well as a bit of a "step" forward at the joint of the fork top/steerer to the legs, per that link

I actually can't see it, but I have a tin eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Finally, I hope the girl who let the thief is notified of her role in this

My advice to any lady would be to let someone in rather than confront a thief and risk being attacked.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Video of alleged bike theft removed. See OP for details. Any questions PM me - do not respond in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ramberto

stolen from Drogheda Ireland. Bright Orange

DMR bolt long,
    spank spike wheel set,
    slx brakes,
    XT derailleur,
    zee shifter,
    domian fork,
    x fusion rear shock,
    peaty grips,
    nicklewide bars
    carbon seatpost
    would love to get it back as it took me a year to build and I can't afford another one, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Too late. Disappeared the next day.

Advertisement