Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 scientists vaporised/vanish into thin air while running CERN!

Options
  • 01-04-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

I have just heard from a very reliable source that within the past hour or two that upto 16 scientists, have apparently vaporised while doing work on the Large Hadron Collider.
    It was published a few days ago about a strange particle "B mesons", and strange physical defying behaviour, this same sourse told me of this 2 days pror to it going public.

He isn't 100% sure of the exact details yet, but apparently 16 scientists were in a special unit expanding on earlier experiments, and cctv shows them vanish into thin air.

He said he'll keep me posted, very strange, I've searched all I could and found nothing, but he assures me something very strange has just occured.

New exotic particle behaviour found at CERN

Tue, Mar 29, 2011

Read more: http://www.zmescience.com/science/physics/lhc-cern-meson-29032011/#ixzz1IDuJ2vbo
    The Large Hadron Collider at CERN has started doing some serious business. This time, an extremely rare particle containing equal parts of matter and antimatter popped up during experiments at the world’s largest and hottest particle accelerator.
    “Our experiment is set up to measure the decays of B mesons,” sayd Sheldon Stone, physicist at Syracuse University. “We discovered some new and interesting decay modes of B mesons, which hadn’t ever been seen before.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

uprising2 wrote: »
    I have just heard from a very reliable source that within the past hour or two that upto 16 scientists, have apparently vaporised while doing work on the Large Hadron Collider.
    It was published a few days ago about a strange particle "B mesons", and strange physical defying behaviour, this same sourse told me of this 2 days pror to it going public.

He isn't 100% sure of the exact details yet, but apparently 16 scientists were in a special unit expanding on earlier experiments, and cctv shows them vanish into thin air.

He said he'll keep me posted, very strange, I've searched all I could and found nothing, but he assures me something very strange has just occured.
    Oh, this should be interesting.

I do wonder how a couple of odd sub atomic particles could magic people away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

King Mob wrote: »
    Oh, this should be interesting.

I do wonder how a couple of odd sub atomic particles could magic people away.

As I said I don't know much yet, I've posted all I know for now, this guy that told me this is really in the know in these matters, I have struck up a friendship with him and he is 100% reliable.

He's offline now, but as I said I'll post here as I hear a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

I call bulls**t!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

1st of april, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I call April Fools:D

• Advertisement

As I said I don't know much yet, I've posted all I know for now, this guy that told me this is really in the know in these matters, I have struck up a friendship with him and he is 100% reliable.

He's offline now, but as I said I'll post here as I hear a little more.

So he told you this about an hour ago?

So he told you this about an hour ago?

UPDATE:

I know it is 1st April, but this is not bullsh1t, I am relaying what I'm being told.

Ok, this is apparently what happened, don't jump down my throat tomorrow if it turns out to be an exaggeration or misinformation/crossed wires but from my source who is not a joker by any means:

Some strange phenomenon has occured, particles which shouldn't be able to travel faster than light as it's understood to be the fastest speed possible, have not only gone faster than the speed of light, but are possibly multiplying it.

There is a media blackout, an earthquake has occured over the CERN site and it has not been registered with USGS or any other earthquake monitoring site, normally it would be put up well within the hour.

Something really Fukked up is happening right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

UPDATE:

I know it is 1st April, but this is not bullsh1t, I am relaying what I'm being told.

Ok, this is apparently what happened, don't jump down my throat tomorrow if it turns out to be an exaggeration or misinformation/crossed wires but from my source who is not a joker by any means:

Some strange phenomenon has occured, particles which shouldn't be able to travel faster than light as it's understood to be the fastest speed possible, have not only gone faster than the speed of light, but are possibly multiplying it.

There is a media blackout, an earthquake has occured over the CERN site and it has not been registered with USGS or any other earthquake monitoring site, normally it would be put up well within the hour.

Something really Fukked up is happening right now.

We're all gonna die!.......

April fool fail

UPDATE:

The dude is messing with you.
    Cause if he actually was knowledgeable as you claim and wasn't ****ing with you he wouldn't tell you anything remotely like this:
    As it's totally nonsensical technobabble.

So given the fact that this totally sounds like bull**** and it's all of a sudden happening on April 1st, what makes you so confident you're not being fooled?
    Or are you trying to do the fooling?

It's all somehow connected to this:

Exotic antimatter particle exhibits new conduct

Large Hadron Collider atom smasher turns up odd behavior for B mesons

A rare particle containing equal parts weird antimatter and normal matter has popped up in experiments at the world's largest particle accelerator.
    Scientists recently observed new behavior of this particle, called a B meson, at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) atom smasher, a 17-mile-long underground ring at the CERN laboratory near Geneva
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42307845/ns/technology_and_science-science/
    B-meson decay seen at LHC may help solve antimatter mystery

By IB Times Staff Reporter | March 29, 2011 7:22 AM EDT

Using data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiment, scientists have observed the decays of a rare particle - dubbed 'b-meson' - that could provide clues on why antimatter all but disappeared after the Big Bang.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/128023/20110329/big-bang-lhc-large-hadron-collider-matter-antimatter-b-mesons-physics-science-time-machie-higgs-sing.htm#ixzz1IECBj2gG

New Behavior of Exotic Antimatter Particle Seen at Giant Atom Smasher

Clara Moskowitz, LiveScience Senior Writer
    Date: 28 March 2011 Time: 10:04 AM ET

A rare particle containing equal parts weird antimatter and normal matter has popped up in experiments at the world's largest particle accelerator.

Scientists recently observed new behavior of this particle, called a B meson, at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) atom smasher, a 17-mile long (27-km) underground ring at the CERN laboratory near Geneva.

All normal particles are thought to have antimatter partner particles with the same mass but opposite charge. When matter and antimatter meet, the two annihilate each other. Scientists think the universe started out with equal amounts of both, but most of the antimatter was destroyed by matter, and whatever surplus of matter remained is what makes up the universe we know today. The question of why the universe started out with more matter than antimatter has haunted physicists for years.

B mesons, which have both antimatter and matter packed inside them, were thought to have been common just after the Big Bang theorized to have created our universe, but are now thought not to occur in nature. Scientists can create them, and other exotic particles, only in energetic collisions in particle accelerators like LHC.
    However, B mesons aren't stable, and once created, they decay quickly into other particles. Researchers led by Sheldon Stone, a physicist at Syracuse University, have now observed a new kind of decay process of the B meson that had been previously theorized but never before seen. The discovery was made using an experiment at LHC called LHCb (which stands for "Large Hadron Collider beauty").
    "Our experiment is set up to measure the decays of B mesons," Stone told LiveScience. "We discovered some new and interesting decay modes of B mesons, which hadn't ever been seen before."
    http://www.livescience.com/13430-lhc-antimatter-particle-physics.html

• Advertisement

It's all somehow connected to this:

Ok, how is it connected to that particle?
    Why would creating a few of this weird particles that last only 0.000 000 000 0001 seconds and only have a rest mass of 5,000MeV/c^2 do anything other than fizzle out?

Kingmob, I don't know the answer to your question, I have bolded part of a copy and paste, "yet to be discovered forces", so how can I possibly answer your question?

Go to the science forum and ask them there, although I doubt you'll find the answer ther either, I siimply don't know, but as far as I can see, they found something new, got excited, maybe pushed it too far and something "new" has happened that maybe will eventually need a bigger and badder LHC type device to explain.

I am simply linking whats available to the public with very recent events, to something I heard private from somebody who is not directly connected with cern but works in a field where he would hear pretty reliable rumours at best, and again I state in the few years I've been communicating with him he has never put me wrong.

SU physicists first to observe rare particles produced at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN
    Scientists are eager to study these special B mesons because of their potential for yielding information about the relationship between matter and antimatter moments after the Big Bang, as well as yet-to-be described forces that resulted in the rise of matter over antimatter.
    "We know when the universe formed from the Big Bang, it had just as much matter as antimatter," Stone says. "But we live in a world predominantly made of matter, therefore, there had to be differences in the decaying of both matter and antimatter in order to end up with a surplus of matter."
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-03/su-spf032211.php

Kingmob, I don't know the answer to your question, I have bolded part of a copy and paste, "yet to be discovered forces", so how can I possibly answer your question?
    And yet you seem to be confident that this supposed incident is connected to B-mesons.
    How exactly do you know this?
    Go to the science forum and ask them there, although I doubt you'll find the answer ther either, I siimply don't know, but as far as I can see, they found something new, got excited, maybe pushed it too far and something "new" has happened that maybe will eventually need a bigger and badder LHC type device to explain.
    So you seem to think that physics works like it does in bad movies...
    Maybe there is something to this brainwashing nonsense you guys are always on about.
    I am simply linking whats available to the public with very recent events, to something I heard private from somebody who is not directly connected with cern but works in a field where he would hear pretty reliable rumours at best, and again I state in the few years I've been communicating with him he has never put me wrong.
    So you're just going on a gut feeling that someone isn't bull****ting you on April Fool's Day?
    Ok then...

And yet you seem to be confident that this supposed incident is connected to B-mesons.
    How exactly do you know this?

As I said I am relaying what I am being told, I don't understand it, either do the scientists, thats why they built CERN.
    So you seem to think that physics works like it does in bad movies...
    Maybe there is something to this brainwashing nonsense you guys are always on about.

I don't watch movies, I don't see what others do, basically I see movies as overrated, over paid, over glorified pretenders, because thats all they do is play pretend and the masses flock to see it and talk about it while there are much more important things that should get the attention "hollywood" get's, its patethic to be honest.
    So you're just going on a gut feeling that someone isn't bull****ting you on April Fool's Day?
    Ok then...

I asked him was this a prank and he said no, he was quiet adament that something very strange has occured, he is a long way away from here and CERN but he doesn't do bullsh1t.

All I can say is take it or leave it, but "something" will be reported in the news soon(ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I feel dumber just reading this thread.

It's easy to hide lies behind a "source"

As I said I am relaying what I am being told, I don't understand it, either do the scientists, thats why they built CERN.
    But you are confident that it's something to do with B-mesons.
    How do you know this?
    Did your friend who is not even a part of CERN tell you exactly that?
    I don't watch movies, I don't see what others do, basically I see movies as overrated, over paid, over glorified pretenders, because thats all they do is play pretend and the masses flock to see it and talk about it while there are much more important things that should get the attention "hollywood" get's, its patethic to be honest.
    And yet you seem to believe scientists are like the evil lunatics portrayed in them. And seem to think movie physics is an accurate picture of real particle physics.
    I asked him was this a prank and he said no, he was quiet adament that something very strange has occured, he is a long way away from here and CERN but he doesn't do bullsh1t.
    Well it wouldn't exactly be a particularly funny joke if he just told you strait off.
    All I can say is take it or leave it, but "something" will be reported in the news soon(ish).
    And when nothing of the sort happens I'm sure you're concoct some theory about how they're keeping thousands of people absolutely quiet rather than admit you've been duped.

I have some friends heading over there during Easter. I'll tell them to ask about this. I'm sure some will get a giggle out of it.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    I feel dumber just reading this thread.

It's easy to hide lies behind a "source"

How were you feeling before you start reading it?, sorry for causing you to feel dumber, it wasn't intentional.

Listen I cant name name's or places, or positions, but this "will" come out sooner or later, maybe some of the things are exaggerated, I don't really know, but whatever happened seems to be up there with the stranger things in life.

Maybe they actually found the Higgs boson and it wasn't what they expected unfortunately or acted in a way they thought it would, there has been speculation of opening mini black holes, whether this is possible or not I really don't know, but I've heard "scientists" say it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

My brain hurts.

But you are confident that it's something to do with B-mesons.
    How do you know this?
    Did your friend who is not even a part of CERN tell you exactly that?

And yet you seem to believe scientists are like the evil lunatics portrayed in them. And seem to think movie physics is an accurate picture of real particle physics.

Well it wouldn't exactly be a particularly funny joke if he just told you strait off.

And when nothing of the sort happens I'm sure you're concoct some theory about how they're keeping thousands of people absolutely quiet rather than admit you've been duped.

I have some friends heading over there during Easter. I'll tell them to ask about this. I'm sure some will get a giggle out of it.

If you know anybody heading to the states ask them to knock on Fort Detrick's front door and ask about some of the stuff that goes on there, I'm sure they'll get a giggle out of that too.

If you know anybody heading to the states ask them to knock on Fort Detrick's front door and ask about some of the stuff that goes on there, I'm sure they'll get a giggle out of that too.
    You do realise that thousands of scientists work at the facility right?
    And that it's pretty close to a town? These things are pretty evident with the barest of research.
    If any of the silliness you're claiming actually happened, people would know.

But hey, why would a random, probably non-existent guy on the internet make something up on April Fool's Day?
    Maybe they actually found the Higgs boson and it wasn't what they expected unfortunately or acted in a way they thought it would, there has been speculation of opening mini black holes, whether this is possible or not I really don't know, but I've heard "scientists" say it could.
    Any mini black holes that could even possibly form in the LHC would be beyond mircoscopic and have no more effect on the surroundings than a speck of really really really small dust. And even then they would totally evaporate away in a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a second.
    Seriously, not even a movie level grasp of physics here.

• Advertisement

Kingmob this is all well and good in respect to what you think you know, from following the scientists every word, yet now in the past few days they have encountered something "new"that they never saw or realised before, that I have added enough links to show, yet you ignore that and read from your popular science 1986 edition, things change, the principles holding your foundations of knowledge may come crumbling down, then all that time you spent studying your science will become a waste of time.

Does anybody know the ins and out of the universe and everything in it?, no.

Kingmob this is all well and good in respect to what you think you know, from following the scientists every word, yet now in the past few days they have encountered something "new"that they never saw or realised before, that I have added enough links to show, yet you ignore that and read from your popular science 1986 edition, things change, the principles holding your foundations of knowledge may come crumbling down, then all that time you spent studying your science will become a waste of time.

Does anybody know the ins and out of the universe and everything in it?, no.
    Well thing is this "new stuff" has been modelled, theorised and observed. The CP violation that has been mentioned in a few of the articles you've posted for example was discovered in the 60's. The B-meson itself has been know for at least a decade.

None of the stuff mentioned in those articles allows the formation of blackholes in the LHC or changes anything I've said.

Now even if I was working from this "popular science 1986 edition" and only this (I'm not) I would still have a much much better understanding of the physics you're pretending to know about. You can't even tell the difference between actual science and half remembered pseudo-science from particularly poorly written articles.

"Science doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop."
    And just because we don't know everything doesn't mean we don't know anything. So unless you've got something better than "I think I read it in an article once", what we know about black holes and particle physics tells us that black holes probably won't form in the LHC and if they did they would last millionths of a second and be absolutely harmless.

But seriously, you wouldn't just wait and see you weren't falling for an obvious April Fool's. You'd think all this "questioning authority" you say you do would make you more wary.

My source has informed me that there will be some sort of announcement tomorrow and that all CERN experiments will be cancelled indefinately.

There seems to be a problem stopping the particles, they are getting faster and faster and nobody seems to know why.

Here's something I came across, although I don't buy it, some physicists think the LHC could be used as a time machine:confused:.

Could Atom Smasher be Used as a Time Machine?
    Geneva, Switzerland – In a 'long shot' theory, physicists propose that the world's largest atom smasher could be used as a time machine to send a special kind of matter backward in time.
    The scientists outline a way to use the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a 17-mile long (27-km) particle accelerator buried underground near Geneva, to send a hypothetical particle called the Higgs singlet to the past.

"Our theory is a long shot, but it doesn't violate any laws of physics or experimental constraints," physicist Tom Weiler of Vanderbilt University said in a statement.
    However, if the theory proves correct, the researchers say the method could be used to send messages to the past or the future.
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/16/atom-smasher-used-time-machine/

Maybe the scientists were sent backward or forward in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

It's not just the USGS that monitor earthquakes btw, there are also more independent or even general public run stations, not a whisper anywhere nor any data available from anyone in regards any earthquake near CERN at all.

Here's one that shows a decent view, there's probably links there of monitoring stations in Europe too and if you search hard enough I'm sure you could get a phone number to verify things personally yourself at each and every station.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Anyway, if it wasn't April 1st I'd be interested in the story more so than a quick giggle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

:D its a bit of a stretch lads. this one will have to go down as a fail.
    We have come a long way since war of the worlds 1938

My source has informed me that there will be some sort of announcement tomorrow and that all CERN experiments will be cancelled indefinately.
    And when this doesn't actually happen...?
    There seems to be a problem stopping the particles, they are getting faster and faster and nobody seems to know why.
    So how does he know all these details?
    Here's something I came across, although I don't buy it, some physicists think the LHC could be used as a time machine:confused:.
    No, one physicist mentioned it as an out there idea and wrote a stupid article about it. The media then made a story out of nothing.
    No sane physicist actually seriously believes that.
    Maybe the scientists were sent backward or forward in time?
    Or no scientists disappeared at all.
    Maybe you should confirm something happened before you start putting forward baseless theories.

Also, Fox News? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Does the OP think so little of our intelligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

must be a full moon or first of april ,if this aint a prank then all op's posts are suspect on all subjects.

No, one physicist mentioned it as an out there idea and wrote a stupid article about it. The media then made a story out of nothing.
    No sane physicist actually seriously believes that.

Here's another 2:
    Time travel is not as impossible as you think it to be
    Why are we asking this now?
    Two Russian mathematicians have suggested that the giant atom-smasher being built at the European centre for nuclear research, Cern, near Geneva, could create the conditions where it might be possible to travel backwards or forwards in time. In essence, Irina Aref’eva and Igor Volovich believe that the Large Hadron Collider at Cern, which is due to be switched on this year for the first time, might create tiny “wormholes” in space which could allow some form of limited time travel.

Is this really a serious proposition?
    The New Scientist article points out that there are many practical problems and theoretical paradoxes to time travel. “Nevertheless, the slim possibility remains that we will see visitors from the future in the next year,” says the magazine says, rather provocatively. It has to be said that few scientists accept the idea that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will create the conditions thought to be necessary for time travel. The LHC is designed to probe the mysterious forces that exist at the level of sub-atomic particles, and as such will answer many important questions, such as the true nature of gravity. It is not designed as a time machine.
    http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110401/science.htm

Time travel may find home in Large Hadron Collider

Vanderbilt University researchers to try out time travel theory

"Our theory is a long shot, "but it doesn't violate any laws of physics or experimental constraints," said Tom Weiler, one of the physics professors at Vanderbilt University testing the theory.
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/72244

CERN: Expert Q&A

• Posted 07.19.07
    • NOVA scienceNOW
    MIT particle physicist Peter Fisher answered questions about particle-smashing at the Large Hadron Collider and other subatomic matters on July 19, 2007.

Q: Anticipating the world of knowledge that may be revealed when the LHC is in operation, what kinds of results do you think the LHC will provide (e.g., information on other dimensions or perhaps universes, the potential for new technologies, etc.)? Is what you expect to see different from what you hope to see? Christopher Boss, Battle Creek, Michigan

Fisher: Actually, I'm not sure what to expect to happen at the LHC. We could see evidence for new universes or new dimensions, or something we did not expect at all. As far as technology is concerned, just building the accelerator and big detectors have pushed magnet technology ahead a great deal, not to mention computing, microelectronics, and superconductors.

Q: I have a question, but first a prediction: I think that through the study of particle physics, we'll be able to see other dimensions and gain the ability to "experience" these dimensions. Do you think this will ever happen? J.C. Rivera, Puerto Rico

Fisher: At the LHC, we could experience other dimensions by seeing new particles pop out of them and through our input detector. As we learn more about new dimensions, we will be able to design better experiments to experience more of their properties. However, if there are new dimensions, they will most likely be very small, so I doubt we will be able to move about in them.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fisher-lhc-cern.html

• Advertisement

Theres a little competition at CERN between ATLAS and CMS, the missing scientists were all part of the CMS project, maybe the ATLAS crowd had them taken out.

Now, the first direct observation of a phenomenon known as jet quenching has been made by both the ATLAS and CMS collaborations. This result is reported in a paper from the ATLAS collaboration accepted for publication yesterday in the scientific journal Physical Review Letters. A CMS paper will follow shortly, and results from all of the experiments will be presented at a seminar on Thursday 2 December at CERN1. Data taking with ions continues to 6 December.
    “It is impressive how fast the experiments have arrived at these results, which deal with very complex physics,” said CERN’s Research Director Sergio Bertolucci. “The experiments are competing with each other to publish first, but then working together to assemble the full picture and cross check their results. It’s a beautiful example of how competition and collaboration is a key feature of this field of research.”
    http://public.web.cern.ch/press/pressreleases/Releases2010/PR23.10E.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement