Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Coldplayer

Yeah but dont let the pass rates fool you, APM is by no means a walk in the park.

Look beyond the pass rate and at the number of candidates that sat the paper. Pass rate could be interpreted as high but if you had the same numbers as audit sitting it, i'm guessing it would be a different story.

The APM class was always pretty full, which would lead you to believe that those who chose it had an interest in the area, unlike the audit lads who were forced to do audit.

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Coldplayer wrote: »
    Yeah but dont let the pass rates fool you, APM is by no means a walk in the park.

Look beyond the pass rate and at the number of candidates that sat the paper. Pass rate could be interpreted as high but if you had the same numbers as audit sitting it, i'm guessing it would be a different story.

The APM class was always pretty full, which would lead you to believe that those who chose it had an interest in the area, unlike the audit lads who were forced to do audit.

Just a thought

By no means do I think its going to be easy, and you are probably right about the pass rates, they would be much lower if there was more doing the APM, i just dont know how I would rectify the mistakes I have made in Auditing. I could easily fail it a 3rd time. I watched every lecture that was streamed for Audit last year, paid for a revision course, studyied all the notes etc, and i didnt do any better than the first time around when i had dedicated 90% of my study time to the core exam. I'm not forced to do either really, its up to myself. I just got a loan of notes and the book for APM today so I am going to go through all that before I make up my mind. I am interested in Finance and Economics and was told there isnt much Mgt Acctng in it so I think I might actually be interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Norman123

ABCxyz 123 wrote: »
    Considering sitting the ICA exams under England/Wales ICA...I'm going to call to enquire about exemptions / when they are held etc. Just wondering does anyone know anything about them?

I've just the elective to repeat but dont want to wait a year with the possibility of then failing again, so am looking at other options

I never heard of anyone doing that but would be interested in doing it if possible..I failed audit elective and it's pissin me off the fact that I have to wait another year to resit..I'd say the UK audit would be very similar to the IRL one??!!

Let me know how u get on wit that!!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ABCxyz 123

I checked the ICA in England/Wales - you have to have two years audit experience in the UK before you can sit their exams unfortunately.

Am going to contact the ICA Scotland now to see if that is an option

Will let you know how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fol84

Does anyone know what are the Big 4 saying about the no. of people that failed the elective????
    If the big 4 were to put pressure on the institute there is a good chance a repeat elective could be brought in next year. I think thats what happened with the repeat AAFRP exam this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Jdog1984

Fol84 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what are the Big 4 saying about the no. of people that failed the elective????
    If the big 4 were to put pressure on the institute there is a good chance a repeat elective could be brought in next year. I think thats what happened with the repeat AAFRP exam this year.

You are not allowed to repeat the AAFRP exam, I definately would have had a second go at it if I could have.

The 2nd exam was for those who could not make the first one due to having to attend weddings same day, illness, family bereavement, etc.

I definately think an opportunity to repeat elective should be brought in, but doubt it will be for this year unfortuneately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fol84

Jdog1984 wrote: »

You are not allowed to repeat the AAFRP exam, I definately would have had a second go at it if I could have.

The 2nd exam was for those who could not make the first one due to having to attend weddings same day, illness, family bereavement, etc.

I definately think an opportunity to repeat elective should be brought in, but doubt it will be for this year unfortuneately.

Sorry your completely right. It wasn't a repeat exam, although I was under the impression the 2 nd exam was introduced mainly because some of the partners complained that their staff didn't have time to study and deal with the tight deadlines for audits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PattyMayo

I just emailed the institute to see if there is any talks of a repeat exam being held in Jan/Feb 2012 and they said there will be no repeats. :( I was really hoping they would hold a repeat for the elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Barney000

Does anyone ever hear of anyone who got upgraded to a pass on extenuating circumstances?...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

It depends on the individuals circumstances.I think it is evaluated based on conditions that might have been to the detriment of an individuals performance on the day of an exam or in the lead up to the examination.They need to be substantiated by an independent third party as well.I dont know of anyone who passed on appeal but I know a few people who have been unsuccessful.

Which appeal are you applying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

I appealed 2 exams. One I got 44% in, one I got 45%. I was upgraded to a pass on the 45%. The circumstance was the same for both, so I'm guessing they have a policy of only looking at the fails within a 5-point margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Peanut_M

Anyone have any idea what time the Board Report is out at today?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Peanut_M wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what time the Board Report is out at today?

It's out now. You have to log in to student centre, then use link for reports

Thanks! Just reading through it now

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

Can someone link it for me or upload it? I can't find the link, my section for reports exam papers etc is blank!

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Whats the story with the repeat - do they send out a form to enrole for revision class in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Whats the story with the repeat - do they send out a form to enrole for revision class in dublin?

I don't know about revision classes but the form for repeating the exam is now available.

They have increased to cost of the Elective from €150 to €180. I spoke to someone on the phone after the results and they said it would still be €150 this year, (same as last year) but obviously not!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Thanks.

Do you have to repeat the AAFRP exam - I got a good result in it last year and would prefer not to repeat it?

No it is optional to repeat it, plus if you do repeat it, it's an extra cost.

If you have a good result from this time round I would just stick with it, not worth taking a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 belfast212

PwC Belfast had 30 something people sitting the audit elective and 100% passed it, with an overall pass rate (core and electives) of 85%, i doubt you'd see much pressure coming from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DawnRK

Hey,

Does anyone know where you would get either group or private grinds for the ACA Taxation Elective in Cork????

This will be my 3rd time sitting the exam, so think I need someone help from someone with marking or exam technique experience.

Cheers

Bumped for people doing this years FAE, this thread was very useful last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Bump again

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shery

(mod edit - that's what the pm system is for)

P.S. For my Irish folks, ignore this message. Its just a joke best told in the language used above and specific to Chursy!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Just helping the guys with the stufff that got us over the line in 2012 =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

New thread for 2013 please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement