Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭okdune

kitten_k wrote: »
    Yes, was very surprised as I thought you had to get green in BL & PM.

Well firstly majow well done! I got a green in tax, an orange for all the rest and a red for audit and failed.

Am wondering if it is worth my while appealing for audit as I got the same decile and sufficieny as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

okdune wrote: »
    Well firstly majow well done! I got a green in tax, an orange for all the rest and a red for audit and failed.

Am wondering if it is worth my while appealing for audit as I got the same decile and sufficieny as you.

The appeals deadline is 9th Dec (I think) and the Board report is out on the 5th December. If you can remember what you did in audit for the Core check this against the Board report on 5th and then decide if you think you would be successful on appeal.

The appeals deadline is 9th Dec (I think) and the Board report is out on the 5th December. If you can remember what you did in audit for the Core check this against the Board report on 5th and then decide if you think you would be successful on appeal.

I know the chances are slim but will see if it is worth it. Thanks and well done!

Thanks okdune

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Peanut_M

I was borderline on the Core (Decile 9, sufficiency 0). Got yellow in them all except Auditing which I got a green. Ironically I failed the Audit Elective!!

In the elective I got a decile ranking of 8 and sufficency of 1. From reading the "Explantory Information" sheet that was with the results pack it says sufficiency 0 was required to pass the elective. As I had sifficency 1 - does this mean I was close to passing and it wouldn't have mattered what my decile was once I got a sufficency of 0???

If the pass rate for Core was 74%, then how did you get a decile of 9?? Surely it would have had to be 7 or less to pass? Or is my understanding of decile ranking incorrect??

• Advertisement

I also achieved the same result in the Audit elective and know of one other person with the same result. I have calculated that we are in a group of 11 people as follows:

All Sat paper: (First and repeat) 431 + 83 = 514

People in Decile 6: (10%) 43 + 8 = 51

People in decile 6 who did not pass:

90% of repeat students 8 * 90% = 7
    10% of first time students 43 * 10% = 4
    Total = 11

This is worked out on a pass rate of 59% for first time students and 51% for repeat sittings.

Are my calculations correct?

I do not really want to put any false hope into an appeal but if these calculations are correct I feel it may be worth a try.

Where did you get the 90% and 10% within the decile ranking?

Peanut_M wrote: »
    If the pass rate for Core was 74%, then how did you get a decile of 9?? Surely it would have had to be 7 or less to pass? Or is my understanding of decile ranking incorrect??

To be honest Peanut, I don't understand which way the marking works. I know we were giving sessions on it but I feel the Institute has not explained to students properly how the Decile and Suffiency works. I have not spoken to one student who properly understands it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Peanut_M

To be honest Peanut, I don't understand which way the marking works. I know we were giving sessions on it but I feel the Institute has not explained to students properly how the Decile and Suffiency works. I have not spoken to one student who properly understands it.

It's all very confusing :(

I know I have given up trying to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Barney000

I passed the audit elective and failed the core. I got a decile ranking of 7 and sufficiency of 0 in the core. I got a red in PM, green in Tax & IMP and yellow in the rest. Do you guys think it is worth getting a recheck? Are there any others similar to me? Has anyone heard of anyone who passed after a recheck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Belt

Barney000 wrote: »
    I passed the audit elective and failed the core. I got a decile ranking of 7 and sufficiency of 0 in the core. I got a red in PM, green in Tax & IMP and yellow in the rest. Do you guys think it is worth getting a recheck? Are there any others similar to me? Has anyone heard of anyone who passed after a recheck?

I'm similar enough to you. Failed the core with a decile of 6 and sufficiency of 0. Got 4 greens, a yellow (in tax) and a red in IMP (sick isn't the word) Dunno of anyone who passed on a recheck but I'm going to chance my arm with an appeal.

It's annoying when you hear of people who got yellows in both PM and BL still passing but as soon as you get a red in anything you're gone.

Belt wrote: »
    It's annoying when you hear of people who got yellows in both PM and BL still passing but as soon as you get a red in anything you're gone.

I think the rule of one red and you're out is a very bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

Peanut_M wrote: »
    I am curious to know which lecturer(s) those who passed audit elective had and who those who failed had?

While I realise it is not down to the lecturer who passed and failed, I would be curious to know whether all lecturers' pass rates were in line with the average.

I failed audit elective with decile of 8 and sufficiency of 1 and had Shaun Browne for all lectures except the last lecture which was with all audit elective groups and with Sean Murray.

I think its unfair to start blaming the lecturers. There was very little new material for fae's, mostly was about practising technique and knowing your stuff from cap 1 and 2. I had sean browne aswel and thought he was great. I went to every elective class and the turnout was awful, lucky to get 20% most weeks and now people are wondering how they failed the elective... Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ABCxyz 123

Considering sitting the ICA exams under England/Wales ICA...I'm going to call to enquire about exemptions / when they are held etc. Just wondering does anyone know anything about them?

I've just the elective to repeat but dont want to wait a year with the possibility of then failing again, so am looking at other options

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Hi all,

I somehow managed to get the exams and I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who posted on this thread over the last few months, it really was a big help.

I really feel the system is completely flawed, there are quite a number of people with whom I work who failed the audit elective in particular. These are some of the most intelligent people I have ever met and I struggle to understand how they did not get the elective. The answer is obviously the system. The exams should be set up in such a way whereby your talent and ability is reflected in the results. This is not the case with the current system.

The Institute needs to look at the way the system is set up, particularly the audit elective, which again has proved to be exceptionally more difficult than the other electives.

Elective repeats seem the obvious answer, but I cant see it being implemented any time soon.

Best of luck to everyone in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

I was borderline on the Core (Decile 9, sufficiency 0). Got yellow in them all except Auditing which I got a green. Ironically I failed the Audit Elective!!

In the elective I got a decile ranking of 8 and sufficency of 1. From reading the "Explantory Information" sheet that was with the results pack it says sufficiency 0 was required to pass the elective. As I had sifficency 1 - does this mean I was close to passing and it wouldn't have mattered what my decile was once I got a sufficency of 0???
    Hi are you going to appeal I got the same as you and I really dont know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Barney000

Belt wrote: »
    I'm similar enough to you. Failed the core with a decile of 6 and sufficiency of 0. Got 4 greens, a yellow (in tax) and a red in IMP (sick isn't the word) Dunno of anyone who passed on a recheck but I'm going to chance my arm with an appeal.

It sounds like u were very hard done by. U prob should recheck. It would be some feeling if u got through on the recheck. Will u lrt me know if u hear of any success stories / advices etc.? Thanks.

hegarty147 wrote: »
    Hi are you going to appeal I got the same as you and I really dont know what to do

No I am not going to appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Carneyy

Can someone tell me, if a persons name is in the list of credits, does that mean they passed or failed? Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Carneyy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, if a persons name is in the list of credits, does that mean they passed or failed? Thanks a lot.

It means they passed one element of the exam and failed the other, so they either passed the core exam or the elective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Carneyy

Ok, im not too sure which one it is. Basically, its a relation and my mother wants to send a card but we dont know if she passed or failed. Thanks for the rquick eply

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I got decile ranking of 7 and sufficiency of 0 in core and failed on a red in BL.

If 74% was pass rate,that means those with decile down to 7 would have passed , so I must be very close.

Does anybody think its worth getting a recheck. I know it is alot of money, but if i am that close I think it could be worth it.

I got decile ranking of 7 and sufficiency of 0 in core and failed on a red in BL.

If 74% was pass rate,that means those with decile down to 7 would have passed , so I must be very close.

Does anybody think its worth getting a recheck. I know it is alot of money, but if i am that close I think it could be worth it.

I don't know if that is the way it works coz I got a decile 9 and passed.

I don't know if that is the way it works coz I got a decile 9 and passed.

That is really weird! I thought decile 9 would be furthest away from passing??

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Explanatory information says "1 = ranked in top 10%" so 7 = ranked in top 70%. The red in BL would have caused me to fail but you would assume someone with a decile of 7 and sufficiency of 0 should pass if some in the 9 decile range passed. (no offence intended by the way, just trying to make sense of this system).

Oh this system is head wrecking!!

Explanatory information says "1 = ranked in top 10%" so 7 = ranked in top 70%. The red in BL would have caused me to fail but you would assume someone with a decile of 7 and sufficiency of 0 should pass if some in the 9 decile range passed. (no offence intended by the way, just trying to make sense of this system).

Oh this system is head wrecking!!

That would have been my understanding of it until I seen my breakdown.

I think (but not 100%) that it means you were in the top 70% over all but that became irrelevant because you got a red, which it total crap. Whereas even though I was in the top 90% I did not receive a red and therefore passed.

It's a very weird system, it is not a fairly judged as a straight % exam would be. You cleary did a better paper than me if you were Decile 7 but because you fell down in one out of six areas you were failed - it is a totally unfair system.

(And don't worry I didn't take offence, I was as shocked as anybody else to pass with a decile 9)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pokermanpat

I also achieved the same result in the Audit elective and know of one other person with the same result. I have calculated that we are in a group of 11 people as follows:

All Sat paper: (First and repeat) 431 + 83 = 514

People in Decile 6: (10%) 43 + 8 = 51

90% of repeat students 8 * 90% = 7
    10% of first time students 43 * 10% = 4
    Total = 11

This is worked out on a pass rate of 59% for first time students and 51% for repeat sittings.

Are my calculations correct?

I do not really want to put any false hope into an appeal but if these calculations are correct I feel it may be worth a try.

I actually made an error in the above calculation, it appears the figures quoted by the institue are the numbers that passed, therefore the ammended calculations are:

All Sat paper: (First and repeat) 731 + 163 = 894

People in Decile 6: (10%) 73 + 16 = 89

90% of repeat students 16 * 90% = 15
    10% of first time students 73 * 10% = 7
    Total = 22

I also talked to the institute and they confirmed that everybody in decile six with who did not pass would have been treble checked and that the likelihood of a grade being changed is very slim.

I don't really know if it is worth my while getting a recheck anymore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

they should have an exam for that system to see if you pass or fail i reckon the passing rate might be lower again

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lennemcg

I also talked to the institute and they confirmed that everybody in decile six with who did not pass would have been treble checked and that the likelihood of a grade being changed is very slim.

I don't really know if it is worth my while getting a recheck anymore!!!

Im glad i seen this... Was thinking about appealing as i also got decile 6 sufficiency 1 in the audit elective.... Think that just made my decision for me!

• Advertisement

Anyone else thinking of switching away from the Audit elective? Its obviously the hardest to pass, this years paper was a joke altogether. Having failed it twice now i think i have no other option but to change to APM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement