Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentlemen's Compendium - General Man Tips

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Posting anon for this, as it is not something I would own up to happen to me.

A few people I've talked to have problems pissing when there are other people around, or if they think someone is watching them. This feeling of "someone watching" is most prevalent in the toilets in nightclubs where there is a "man at the taps" keeping the place clean. This happens to people who are confident, and those who are not. The main symptom would be unable to urinate in front of others, but not having a problem when you are in a cubicle, or at a urinal when no-one else is around.

Most people do not know why this happens to them, but I feel it is to do with the breathing. When you try to act calm, your breathing changes. You force yourself to breathe in a certain way to make you appear calm and relaxed, instead of how you would breath normally.

So here is a way around it that I have found works for me. When walking towards the urinal, breath in deeply with your chest. By this, I mean instead of your stomach going out when you breathe in, you feel your chest rising towards your chin. Start to breathe out slowly with your nose (you'll breathe out too quickly with your mouth) when you get to the urinal, and you'll feel your chest lower. When this happens, you'll find it easier to urinate. If you feel like you need another breathe to "push" it out, try instead to keep breathing out (push out more air than you usually would) to get it going.

Apart from getting the bodily fluids going, by concentrating on this, you will not be thinking about the "man in the jacks" watching you, so it shall be easier for you to urinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Black safe choice, but primary colours could be good...anything except white I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Another clothing tip someone gave me; an number of my suits would still be in my rotation if I had followed this.

When buying a suit if at all possible buy two pairs of trousers for the suit. If it is off the peg see if they will order a second pair of trousers from the factory. The trouser always wear out before the jacket and if you work in an office the seat of the pants is what goes first.

Another tip is if the suit doesn't fit perfectly, buy the larger size and then take it to a high quality tailor to have it cut to fit.

Finally, and perhaps unethically, if you are buying an off the peg suit but you find that the jacket of one size fits along with the trousers of another size. Put the two halves onto one hanger and buy this 'custom' suit. Apparantly women do this all the time. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

If you are nervous before going on stage or in to an interview, have a yawn. It will relax you. Sounds silly but it works.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If you are in the disposition to purchase a suit - ensure that you properly attire for the gentleman fitters. A collar and tie (Windsor knot) properly arranged shall allow you to judge better the ensemble before purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Marks and Spencers Bellante Sparkling Rosé, a bunch of lillies and some chocolates = Great night of passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

dclane wrote: »
    Marks and Spencers Bellante Sparkling Rosé, a bunch of lillies and some chocolates = Great night of passion!

And a partner? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

And a partner? :)
    Pfft minor detail :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Great thread.

One I know from personal experience; Chivalry is NOT dead. This is a huge one to me. I hate seeing guys not treating a woman with the proper respect. I don't care how popular Jersey Shore has made it to punch a woman in the mouth or just act the douche in general. Hold a door open. Give up your seat on the bus for the elderly etc. It goes a long way, especially if you're in a small community as it gets you a really good reputation. Plus you get that fuzzy feeling for being nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You may find yourself sweating in work.
    And if your office is like mine you'll have ladies complaining about being cold while you pass out with the heat

Driclor sold in Boots for heavy duty deodorant
    Buy good cotton shirts as cheap polyester won't help your sweating. TK Maxx sell brands cheap.
    Might seem so obvious buy a fan for your desk, about fifteen euro in Argos and you'll have it for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm bumping this and some of the other threads, hoping to get this going again :)

We might need some new topics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

would highly recomend having on of these "grip n' grab"s around

1424v2e.jpg

I work at maintenance at a super market and other than the obvious use for picking up rubbish, i've probably used it more than any other tool for random things.

like yesterday a customer left their keys in in their car and had tried with the help of another customer ( that looked like a trademan of some sort) with his tool box to get in somehow. They managed to ply open a small gap behind one of the doors to which I reached in and let the window down.

tis only about a tenner or so too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Work out.
    Even just a little. If you're lifting the lightest weight or running the smallest distance, you're still doing more for your body than the guy who's sitting on his ass. You will look better, feel better and be healthier.

Hobbies!
    The older you get, the harder it is to keep on top of giving time to your hobbies. But if you don't, you'll regret it. Manage your time to allow for maximum enjoyment!

Don't snap.
    We all get frustrated; we all get annoyed... but don't snap. It debases you and it'll lose you respect. And I know she can be annoying but, in particular, don't snap at your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

On the socks theme; if you're wearing shorts and shoes/trainers for god sake buy a pair of ankle socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shoelaces.

Eventually the bit at the end goes, and you may find it a bit harder to thread it into your shoes or boots.

Solution: cut the stragglers off, and then using a lighter, burn the tip of the shoelace for a few seconds, and blow it, and then lightly press it together (careful you don't get burnt). This will allow your shoelace to thread through the holes again. Also makes the life of your shoelace a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

When on the beer bring breath-mints. Nothing kills a kiss quicker than some nasty Guinness breath. (took me a few years to learn that one)

tic-tac-outdoor-08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

On the socks theme; if you're wearing shorts and shoes/trainers for god sake buy a pair of ankle socks.

Ha I once went to a concert with a friend and some of his mates. Its was very warm so all in shorts and they were slagging me cos I was wearing ankle socks!
    They all had those white tennis player type socks and no matter what I said they couldnt believe they were the stupid ones!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Great thread guys... Top Class.

Will add some stuff I've learned over the years from more learned, wiser individuals than myself when I get the chance later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

the_syco wrote: »
    Shoelaces.

Eventually the bit at the end goes, and you may find it a bit harder to thread it into your shoes or boots.

Solution: cut the stragglers off, and then using a lighter, burn the tip of the shoelace for a few seconds, and blow it, and then lightly press it together (careful you don't get burnt). This will allow your shoelace to thread through the holes again. Also makes the life of your shoelace a bit longer.

Also the loops when your tie your laces should naturally run left to right not front to back. Less likely to slip or untie that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

Einstein wrote: »
    CPR + AED use.

Ideally people should be trained in CPR, but sometimes we dont have the time / money to get certified.

But it's not that hard.

If it comes to a stage where somebody is unresponsive, and by all accounts not breathing, chest compressions can be done. New CPR guidelines state that checking for breathing and administering initial rescue breaths can be bypassed if the helper is not confident or trained in CPR. This is exactly what the EMS will advise you to do over the phone.

Draw an imaginary line between the nipples and aim for the centre of the chest.
    Push down, hard and fast. Ideally looking for at least 100 compressions per minute, but making sure to allow the chest to rise back to its normal position to allow the heart chambers to fill with blood.

Don't be afraid of pushing too deep. Bear in mind what you're doing. You need to press down hard enough, so that you squeeze the heart with enough force to pump the blood to the brain.

How hard do you think you'd have to squeeze it, if you held it in your hand? So no light feathery compressions. Push hard and push fast.

Heres a site to give some more info.

http://handsonlycpr.org/

AED stands for "Automated External Defib" and so simple to use, but not realistically something that can be taught on a forum, but I'll add the following "AED for dummies."

Turn it on.
    Place the pads on the BARE chest (man, woman, child - it doesn't matter, it MUST be bare chest).
    There is a diagram on all pads indicating where they should be placed.
    Make sure the pads are connected to the machine, stand back and let the AED do its thing.

Follow the prompts ensuring NOBODY is touching the patient at any stage. It will go through the motions, and if required, prompt you to press the shock button. An AED won't let you shock someone unless it detects a shockable heart rhythm, so don't worry about that.

AED's are more and more common in public areas. Airports, shopping centres, leisure centres, gyms etc.

Info on AED's etc can be found here.

http://www.aed.ie

Don't forget. If someone is unresponsive and not breathing, they cant be any worse off, so you cant really do any more damage.

And don't be afraid of liability or legal implications etc.
    There's no liability issues to worry about.

Obviously this is an overview and it can go into much more detail.

CPR/AED courses can be completed in as little as 3-4 hours.

5000 people in Ireland die every year due to Sudden Cardiac Death. That's 14 people a day.

Be nice knowing that you could help someone eh?

Hope some of you find this somewhat useful :)

Great tip. CPR is such a simple skill and everybody should know how to do it. Once you learn it correctly it never really leaves you, even if you've never used it. AED's are great pieces of kit and very very easy to use correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement