Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake WW2 stuff on adverts.ie

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

arnhem44 wrote: »

That would probably be me. I guess that he didn't take kindly to my comments about his fake cross. :mad:
    Oh well, he's re-worded the ad slightly and reduced the price by €10.

I'm sorry to say, after this, I have decided to abandon adverts.ie completely.
    My last few (militaria) sales threads have had abusive and time-wasting comments added (admittedly, removed quickly by the Mods), but at this stage, I just can't be bothered anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I see the advert is gone.It's hard lines though that some sellers on adverts take so poorly to advice or discussion about their items.I think if I had something listed up there and someone would give me some pointers if the item wasn't OK then I'd take it happily on board.Maybe the dishonesty factor comes back into it for some.

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I see the advert is gone.It's hard lines though that some sellers on adverts take so poorly to advice or discussion about their items.I think if I had something listed up there and someone would give me some pointers if the item wasn't OK then I'd take it happily on board.Maybe the dishonesty factor comes back into it for some.

I don't think it was the discussion factor he took exception to, as he has quite a lot of medals for sale and sold, so I have no doubt he knew the value of a genuine EK1, so by asking €75 for it we can assume that he knew it was a repro.
    I wasn't rude in any way with my comment, I just asked him to declare it as a reproduction in his description (which at the time gave no indication that it wasn't genuine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Another cross to avoid...
    danpatjoe wrote: »
    Oh well, he's re-worded the ad slightly and reduced the price by €10.

I'm sorry to say, after this, I have decided to abandon adverts.ie completely...

Apologies for the delay in replying on this thread . I removed that ad as I found the edit to be intentionally disingenuous - it may have been allowed to run (without the seller's abusive comment for which they received a warning) if they had even stated the item might be a reproduction .
    That begs a question though - on adverts we disallow replica items across all categories . Is there a market for replica/reproductions within the Militaria community and if so is it a market you collectors would largely approve or disapprove of ?

danpatjoe , it always irks me to see bona fide adverts users even consider abandoning the site . That said , I'm aware of what you've had to put up with recently so can certainly understand why you'd prefer to buy and sell elsewhere . I hope you reconsider but either way thanks for the time and help you have afforded us - it's truly appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

nessyguin wrote: »
    That begs a question though - on adverts we disallow replica items across all categories . Is there a market for replica/reproductions within the Militaria community and if so is it a market you collectors would largely approve or disapprove of ?

Thanks for your post nessyguin. It is a tricky question re: replicas/reproductions. There are certain circumstances when collectors buy replicas/reproductions, e.g. if there are very rare pieces and they cannot afford an original or an original is not even available as they are in a museum etc. These museum reproductions are usually marked though and sold as such. In some cases collectors may concentrate on uniforms and regalia and if displaying uniforms (as I have often seen) on manequins some collectors tend to fit them with replica decorations/medals/insignia rather than placing the original medals on them.

Some also use replicas as temporary fillers until an original becomes available.

Another example is to own some replicas of a particular decoration so you can use it as comparion pieces when faced with doubtful medals (I concentrate on a particular area of medals and usually obtain an example of each current replica out there to keep up with the "fakers"). Now, there is also the problem with description. If someone labels their items as replicas or museum reproductions then they are not fake as they are clearly labeled and produced for a certain clientel .

A fake item on the other hand is particularly produced to deceive the collector looking for a genuine item and is offered as original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I agree with Preusse on that. I think that there is a market for replica items provided they are clearly marked as such. They serve primarily as gap filers until the money can be put together for the real thing and also by re-enactors who may want to look the part.

Just noted this seller's items and he does state he doesn't know if they are original or not (at least on one of the items). Out of curiosity I was wondering what you think of the items here:

http://www.adverts.ie/1135463

and here

http://www.adverts.ie/1146217

Preusse wrote: »
    Just noted this seller's items and he does state he doesn't know if they are original or not (at least on one of the items). Out of curiosity I was wondering what you think of the items here:

http://www.adverts.ie/1135463

and here

http://www.adverts.ie/1146217

I was just coming to this thread to add them to it. In my view they are fakes.

A:

182913.jpg
    B:
    182914.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The General Assault Badge is so bad it's ridiculous. To be fair to the seller he's not asking a lot for it but it's barely even worth that.

Could be way off but I'd imagine that an authentic 50 class General Assault Badge would be worth at least a four figure sum.

And from the same seller, a truly awful copy of a Pilot Badge...
    but again, at least it's priced as a repro.

http://www.adverts.ie/coins-notes/medal-collectors/1151199

• Advertisement

Is €55 not a very high price for a repro piece of tin ?

Also this seller is repeatedly selling items without mentioning the little fact that they are not real.

I was thinking the same thing about the price,55 euro is high for repo items.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And another watch http://www.adverts.ie/mens-watches/german-u-boot-watch/1150186 Defo not a Kriegsmarine item anyway. Looks like the usual eastern european recased pocket watch with a cheap cardboard redial. In fairness the seller isn't exactly positively claiming it's one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I know this one is not adverts.ie fakes but an ebay fake - I thought it would be interesting/funny to post it up here.

Current price on ebay €191 Euro and rising. A WW2 photo album composed of re-enactor photos :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/foto-album-2-weltkrieg-/320813268333?pt=Militaria&hash=item4ab1f5fd6d

$%28KGrHqR,!nkE63U,fw+DBO58vmE1Tw~~60_12.JPG

$%28KGrHqN,!hEE6bJImBRMBO58yK65MQ~~60_12.JPG

This is one of the pictures from a different source

HauptsturmfFuhrerAllgemeine-SSb.jpg

What a jewel of a crappy item. Unbelievably, it has 4 bids on it already. Poor buyer.

I just had a look and the listing has been removed,no doubt it will be back up over the coming days.Ebay is awash with fakes and replica items,I've noticed a lot of fake EK's being sold from Germany lately and the sellers giving the usual in their listings.Some saying original and others saying there not sure,if you have any doubt then one check of there feedback will reveal that there either selling the same thing week in week out or if there feedback is private then it normally suggests that they might be hiding something.Better still is to post a link to the item onto a forum like here for example and get other opinions on the item.Sadly though the bottom line is with a worldwide market there's always some inexperienced person out there who will take the plunge and buy these type of things not knowing there fake and lets face it we've all probably done it at one time or another ourselves.

Advertisement