Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake WW2 stuff on adverts.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Are sellers allowed to re-register to offer fake crap from multiple accounts ? Is there a way for the adverts admin to do something about this ?

A)

http://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/ww2-german-original-second-stamp-with-star-of-david-very-rare/670121

WW2 GERMAN ORIGINAL SECOND STAMP WITH STAR OF DAVID VERY RARE!!!

Seller: janek1979

Description: WW2 GERMAN ORIGINAL SECOND STAMP WITH STAR OF DAVID VERY RARE!!!

MEASURE 3,7 CM X 12 CM

I HAVE BOUGHT IT WITH MANY OTHER GERMAN BADGES IN BERLIN A FEW YEARS AGO.

PLEASE SEE MY OTHER ITEMS FROM II WORLD WORD.

B)
    http://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/ww2-german-original-second-stamp-with-star-of-david-very-rare/530835

WW2 GERMAN ORIGINAL SECOND STAMP WITH STAR OF DAVID VERY RARE!!!

Seller: Salma333

Description: WW2 GERMAN ORIGINAL SECOND STAMP WITH STAR OF DAVID VERY RARE!!!

MEASURE 3,7 CM X 12 CM

I HAVE BOUGHT IT WITH MANY OTHER GERMAN BADGES IN BERLIN A FEW YEARS AGO.

PLEASE SEE MY OTHER ITEMS FROM II WORLD WORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Morlar,

The adverts admins/mods are probably not here on a regular basis (I mean the militaria forum). It may be useful to post this again in their support forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=646

Yep, I figured that so I reported the ad at the same time using the same information.

Seems the seller has been closed down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Preusse wrote: »
    Seems the seller has been closed down :)

Yup ;)

• Advertisement

The seller ani_mal is at it again.

Check out this doozey :

176294.jpg

http://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/ww2-german-watch/993957
    WW2 german watch

Asking price:
    €300

Seller:
    ani_mal [24] a star, the more stars the more trustworthy the user. This user is a verified user of Adverts.ie
    Entered/Renewed:
    29/09/2011 5:36 pm (8 minutes ago)
    Ad Views:
    Comments:

Description:

condition as seen on the picture.
    Waterproof, Antimagnetic
    Stainless steel back

Still in WORKING order
    15 Rubies inside

Please no time wasters, and keep mean comments to yourself.

thank you

Clearly marked as 'WW2', which means he is claiming it is original.

Did you report the ad? They have a button for that and would get the attention of the adverts mods much quicker.
    That kind of stuff should be stopped in its tracks.

Did you report the ad? They have a button for that and would get the attention of the adverts mods much quicker.
    That kind of stuff should be stopped in its tracks.

Of course I did.

I entered it on this thread for the adverts moderators if they want to confirm/get any 2nd / 3rd/ 4th opinions etc.

I think it will help to keep track of these bogus adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No expert on WW2 German watches but that just looks so wrong. The decals look ridiculously out of place and, in addition, all inscriptions are in English which would surely not be correct for such a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

You know what...
    I'm not doing this on spite.. I wasn't aware of the stuff being fake.
    instead of telling me by PM, you throw offensive comments or talk behind my back here.
    how FAKE is your behaviour??

honestly people get a grip and get a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

ani_mal this thread was opened to share opinion on items for sale over on adverts and whether or not people should be stopped from selling fakes there.A discussion like this will benefit people who have less knowledge than others on the subject and hopefully stop people from parting with hard earned cash on items such as the watch you were selling.No one is throwing offensive remarks at you and Morlar left a message for you on your ad directing you here to this forum so no one is talking about you behind your back.If fake items come up for sale now or in the future then they will be discussed here and brought to the attention of the advert mods or the admins to put a stop to it.A person wishing to sell items on adverts is more than welcome to post a thread here to ask peoples opinions on there items if they want to first before selling.Claiming you are unaware that the said item was fake is fine,hopefully this thread has shed some light on the item you had for sale and whether or not it was genuine.

ani_mal wrote: »
    You know what...
    instead of telling me by PM, you throw offensive comments or talk behind my back here.

Hello Ani_mal.

Can you confirm if you are connected in any way to the seller Salma333 or to the seller janek1979 ?

Those decal-added watches are common. A fake p.o.s. ss one was previously offered on adverts :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72630268

You know what...

Hi there,

as arnhem44 pointed out no offensive remarks were made on your ad and Morlar pointed you to this thread. This forum is open to anyone and therefore nothing is discussed behind people's backs. As you said, you were not aware that you had a dodgy item and these are discussed in militaria fora everywhere.
    Maybe it has shown you and potential new sellers that there is a way of checking out items before posting them on adverts.ie. Everyone is free to post pictures of their items here and get an opinion. Sometimes the opinions are clear and lead into one direction which makes it pretty conclusive. At other times opinions may differ and more research is required.
    In any case if something seems dodgy on adverts.ie and is picked up on by posters and moderators of the Militaria forum it will be discussed and posted here and adverts.ie will be notified of the ad in question and of the thread on this forum.

Hi there,

as arnhem44 pointed out no offensive remarks were made on your ad and Morlar pointed you to this thread. This forum is open to anyone and therefore nothing is discussed behind people's backs. As you said, you were not aware that you had a dodgy item and these are discussed in militaria fora everywhere.
    Maybe it has shown you and potential new sellers that there is a way of checking out items before posting them on adverts.ie. Everyone is free to post pictures of their items here and get an opinion. Sometimes the opinions are clear and lead into one direction which makes it pretty conclusive. At other times opinions may differ and more research is required.
    In any case if something seems dodgy on adverts.ie and is picked up on by posters and moderators of the Militaria forum it will be discussed and posted here and adverts.ie will be notified of the ad in question and of the thread on this forum.

opinions opinions.. yes everyone has them.. but what morlar wrote on my ad as comment wasn't pleasant at all. I found it very "agressive" so chose your words in the future people as you can't take them back and I'm sorry doesn't always work.

and I am not connected in any way to Salma333 or to the seller janek1979, don't know these people.

In the future please don't write my address on the forum, its not nice.
    So Morlar please erase this part about my profile from your quote.

thank you

thank you

What address? I cannot see a link to your private address anywhere. Do you mean the Kells/Meath part? You provided that on adverts and it is perfectly free to quote and use this part of your ad as posted. It may remain in his quote here on this forum as you have posted this on an open internet advertising page.

and I am not connected in any way to Salma333 or to the seller janek1979, don't know these people.

thank you

Hi Ani_mal,

No, I won't do that. If a moderator decides to do that then they are welcome to. Click on the 'Report Post' icon and see what they say.

I asked you a simple flat out question.

The reason I asked you that is because the user Salma333 appears to have used other accounts in the past. Also, you have started selling fake items almost identical to some of the fake crap that seller Salma333 (under different accounts) has sold recently. It seems like a fair question to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I do not see what all the fuss is about, personally I was happy when someone pointed out that one of my items was fake as I learned a lot from it. I was disappointed I got ripped off but hopefully a once off situation. This forum is good to learn against such things.

Anyway, false advertising, whether accidental or not, puts the seller in direct breach of the Consumer Protection Act of 2007. And additionally leaves the seller open to redress by the buyer for sums up to 500 euro in the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

Nothing more annoying in this game than shysters trying to pedal fake crap as real. I think anyone who has gotten burned in the pased will be annoyed as well as anyone involved in this hobby as it ruins it for everyone.

opinions opinions.. yes everyone has them.. but what morlar wrote on my ad as comment wasn't pleasant at all. I found it very "agressive" so chose your words in the future people as you can't take them back and I'm sorry doesn't always work.

I was thinking about this and my response should have been more polite.

Fact is I thought you were that other guy re-regged again and flogging more fake items.

Sorry if it was rude. I wrote it in a hurry and was a bit ticked off at the thoughts of people getting ripped off like that.

I stand by what I said about it being a fake piece of **** though. It was absolutely fake.

I think if you re-list it you should mark it 'reproduction' or 'fantasy item suitable for re-enactors' or something like that. So long as people don't get the wrong impression that it's an original piece.

I will not relist the watches as I sent them back where they came from.
    I have a flask reproduction for sale and no one was ****ty about me telling that it is reproduction.

and I understand anger when someone is selling fake without saying it, but mind your words people, it can creat so much damage and unnecessary "word violence".

• Advertisement

but mind your words people, it can creat so much damage and unnecessary "word violence"..

I think that it's more of a case of mind your words that you put in your advert as they clearly give the impression that it is from WW2. And that can create so much false advertisement and "people getting ripped off"..

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Anyway, false advertising, whether accidental or not, puts the seller in direct breach of the Consumer Protection Act of 2007. And additionally leaves the seller open to redress by the buyer for sums up to 500 euro in the small claims court.

Just to clarify this point, as it's incorrect (in this case). The Consumer Protection Act, which brought about the National Consumer Agency, oversees business-to-consumer transactions. Likewise, the Small Claims Court is only for consumer-to-business transactions that are in dispute.

Transactions on Adverts.ie are in the majority person-to-person (where the above does not apply), unless you are purchasing from a merchant/shop (where the above does apply) - traders are indicated buy the "shop" graphic.

ani_mal is a private seller/person in this case, so please don't quote legislation when it does not apply.

We see similar threads on the Adverts Support forum, and always recommend that 'caveat emptor' apply. We do however, much appreciate threads like this where greater knowledge of the the subject matters helps myself and the other Adverts Moderators. However Morlar, you should just report the ad, with the relevant information so we can deal with it, rather than posting on the ad itself.

I think it's useful to keep a catalogue of bad items & sellers.

The reason for that is so that newer members will have a better idea of who is who, and what is what.

It is better all out in the open and in one place in my view. Otherwise ads come and go, then same or similar items are re-posted months down the line (either by the same or different sellers) and new people come along and have nothing to go on other than the sellers incorrect/dishonest description. This thread is a good example, if you go back a page or two you will see identical 'Decal wristwatches'.

I think this thread is a good resource for militaria buyers.

Morlar wrote: »

The reason for that is so that newer members will have a better idea of who is who, and what is what.

It is better all out in the open and in one place in my view. Otherwise ads come and go, then same or similar items are re-posted months down the line (either by the same or different sellers) and new people come along and have nothing to go on other than the sellers incorrect/dishonest description. This thread is a good example, if you go back a page or two you will see identical 'Decal wristwatches'.

Morlar, I don;t think Spocker was talking about not to discuss the ads here on thread in this forum. Rather, s/he said you should not respond on the ad itself on adverts.ie but just report it there. You can always highlight questionable ads here on thread and we can freely discuss them here.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

What Preusse said there is absolutely correct; do please go right ahead and discuss the ads as you wish, but we (the Adverts Mod) would prefer if ads were just reported for our attention, so we can deal with them, rather than posting on the ads themselves.

We also have tools at our disposal to find and weed out duplicate accounts ;)

Morlar wrote: »

I agree. Being relatively new to this hobby this is the type of thread that is invaluable. And there is no point in beating around the bush possibly allowing someone to get shystered in the meanwhile. Get it out in the open and point at the shysters and their wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

talk behind my back here.

How can it be behind your back when it's, ummmm, in the public domain?! Surely if it was behind your back, you wouldn't be able to see it? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree. Being relatively new to this hobby this is the type of thread that is invaluable. And there is no point in beating around the bush possibly allowing someone to get shystered in the meanwhile. Get it out in the open and point at the shysters and their wares.
    +1000 and on the subject of watches if ye ever need an opinion then the folks on the watches forum hereabouts are pretty knowledgeable and would be happy to help out.
    opinions opinions.. yes everyone has them..
    Well my opinion as a collector of German military watches for many a year is that any of these watches looking like this one are 100% fake, not from WW2(late 40's at best). If it has decals on the dial this means fake, end of.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Another cross to avoid...

http://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/1939-german-iron-cross-1st-class/1113431

The seller has sold a lot of good stuff in the past, and has other good items at the moment, but to judge by the asking price, I presume he knows it's a reproduction. Why not state this in the description?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Advertisement