Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

profitius wrote: »
    There does seem to be extreme negativity in Wales (not all fans but a large section) regarding the regions and Welsh rugby in general. They're so negative its actually having a bad effect on attendances etc. They blame the ML for everything instead of looking closely at themselves.

I came accross this tonight. Look at some of the comments below. Once again the Welsh are blaming the ML for their problems and they firmly believe they've world class players. :rolleyes:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/04/17/barry-john-players-on-the-move-is-a-warning-for-us-all-91466-28532908/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

One poster said this:

Henson with help from players like Wilkinson to focus his rugby will be re born.

D'oh.

How come the quality of the magners doesn't affect Irish teams performance?
    Lack of central contracts might be a bigger problem

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

Munster sure are taking there time in signing players.

durkadurka wrote: »
    How come the quality of the magners doesn't affect Irish teams performance?
    Lack of central contracts might be a bigger problem

The ML isn't competitive enough for them but yet they've one team in the top 4. Its competitive enough for the Irish teams who do well in Europe. They're not being honest with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

profitius wrote: »
    I came accross this tonight. Look at some of the comments below. Once again the Welsh are blaming the ML for their problems and they firmly believe they've world class players. :rolleyes:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/04/17/barry-john-players-on-the-move-is-a-warning-for-us-all-91466-28532908/

The Welsh and common sense aren't good bed fellows when it comes to all things rugby.

It's all the ML's fault!! Are you joking, they seem to forget how cat the majority of their teams where before it existed. What's the alternative scenario, a combined league with England? That'll never happen.

As always the problem with Welsh rugby is they have ridiculous expectations from their teams. Look at the team sheets of the 4 regions
    Cardiff, might have made the HC knock outs but are where they should be in the league.
    Scarlets, lots of history but only 5 good players
    Dragons, punching above their weight
    Ospreys, big disappointment but look at the player & management structures they've put in place :pac:

Time to get real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Dan Carter to Racing on a 3 year deal by all accounts
    TheJims wrote: »

3 Year deal worth 4.5m but is currently assessing his options and will make decision soonish according to his agent.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0421/carterd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Welsh and common sense aren't good bed fellows when it comes to all things rugby.

It's all the ML's fault!! Are you joking, they seem to forget how cat the majority of their teams where before it existed. What's the alternative scenario, a combined league with England? That'll never happen.

As always the problem with Welsh rugby is they have ridiculous expectations from their teams. Look at the team sheets of the 4 regions
    Cardiff, might have made the HC knock outs but are where they should be in the league.
    Scarlets, lots of history but only 5 good players
    Dragons, punching above their weight
    Ospreys, big disappointment but look at the player & management structures they've put in place :pac:

Time to get real

They actually raise a fair question, if the Scots teams are useless and the Welsh teams are useless, is the league actually much use?

The Welsh public haven't gotten behind the teams, the Scots public haven't gotten behind the teams, who are we to tell them they are wrong for not supporting poor teams?

It's not a good thing for the league to have one Irish province running away with it and another two fairly certain to make the play-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

They actually raise a fair question, if the Scots teams are useless and the Welsh teams are useless, is the league actually much use?

The Welsh public haven't gotten behind the teams, the Scots public haven't gotten behind the teams, who are we to tell them they are wrong for not supporting poor teams?

It's not a good thing for the league to have one Irish province running away with it and another two fairly certain to make the play-offs.

To be fair 3 play off places are still up for grabs and both Osprys/Cardiff are very much in the hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

And Ospreys are reigning champions.

• Advertisement

The Welsh said its not competitive and yet they've only 1 in the top 4.

If they put half as much effort into promoting the league instead of blaming it for everything there would be far more fans coming to see their teams. The Welsh are like spoilt kids who demand to be entertained. You never hear the English complain about the AP. Its the complete opposite over there where they hype it up but thats good for drawing in fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Back on topic :D

Article on Planet Rugby says Michalak will announce what he will do next year on a radio show next Wednesday. Seems he has quite a few options open to him from the Top 14 and Super Rugby sides.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6889097,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Willie Mason rumoured to be making a code switch to join.........

you guessed it, Toulon!!! :D

This one is happening according to the commentators at the Hull derby today.

Could Toulon be using Mason as bait in their attempts to get Sonny Bill to resign? They were pretty tight at the Bulldogs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

David900 wrote: »
    Back on topic :D

Article on Planet Rugby says Michalak will announce what he will do next year on a radio show next Wednesday. Seems he has quite a few options open to him from the Top 14 and Super Rugby sides.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6889097,00.html

Has he played 12 also? or just 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nice try by Benson Stanley today, made a mug of Cipriani.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

razorblunt wrote: »
    Nice try by Benson Stanley today, made a mug of Cipriani.

He can join the list so...

Too bad Cipriani is crap in defence. If he sorted that out and cut out some of the mistakes he'd be nailed on for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He can join the list so...

Too bad Cipriani is crap in defence. If he sorted that out and cut out some of the mistakes he'd be nailed on for England.

Made a fool of himself in this instance, pretty much attacked the line at jogging pace, hit by Stanley, ball ripped off and he cantered in for the try.

Cipriani is veering into Michalak territory hot an cold, with his consistency being his inconsistency, I don't think he'll ever be reliable enough to be the first name on the team sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Has his move to Connacht been confirmed yet?

Here's the try for those who haven't seen it, very weak from Cipriani. Stanley does well to go all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

No nothing confirmed with Stanley yet. Jared Payne and Luke McAliister are moving on so I wonder will he have a change of heart and stay. Hope not. Other possibility is Munster could come in and take him from under our noses.

Watched the full game this morning and saw him for half an hour last week when he came on against the Waratahs. He's a very solid player, great tackler. He's no Sonny Bill or Conrad Smith but he's a good all round player who'd be a superb addition to the Connacht midfield.

I don't know would he fit into Munster. When Munster sign an all black or southern hemisphere international they seem to expect them to move mountains. De Villiers is a solid player but he's not going to beat 5 or 6 defenders every time he runs or run over 2 or 3 defenders. Tuitupou was signed from Worcester who were relegated from the Guinness Prem. Very strange signing for me and they expected too much of him. He's a bash it up merchant, they should have know that before they signed him. I think Munster expect too much out of some of their overseas signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Read an article online during the week (can't find it now) which was talking about all the NZ players that are moving or might move to the NH. In it they mentioned that Stanley was close to signing for Munster. Not the most reliable source but it does show that his proposed contract with Connacht is far from completed. Would not be surprised if he signed with Munster, even though I think he would excel in the Connacht team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Shane Williams extends contract with Ospreys for another two years.http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6890132,00.html

Good news. I know he's stated he's retiring from international rugby after the WC so I was unsure if he would be leaving rugby altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mallett to Ireland? More of a wish than a rumour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

tolosenc wrote: »

Oh how I'd love that. He's worked wonders with the Italians.

On an unrelated note, any word yet on any Munster signings? Surely they'll be bringing in someone. Perhaps offer Kaino whatever he wants. He's exactly what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Oh how I'd love that. He's worked wonders with the Italians.

On an unrelated note, any word yet on any Munster signings? Surely they'll be bringing in someone. Perhaps offer Kaino whatever he wants. He's exactly what they need.

Only one NIQ spot left and I hope it's a 12. As I've said elsewhere I'd prefer our younger backrows to be given a chance. Foley seems to have hinted that they'll be given some chances even when he internationals are back from the world cup.

On another note it appears McCaw and Carter are to be offered 'sabbaticals' in a bid to allow them to play in the NH and for the ABs.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Risteard wrote: »
    Only one NIQ spot left and I hope it's a 12. As I've said elsewhere I'd prefer our younger backrows to be given a chance. Foley seems to have hinted that they'll be given some chances even when he internationals are back from the world cup.

Ye, I've heard it's a 12. Benson Stanley maybe and Corey Jane and Toueava have been mentioned as well.

I do think you're missing an athletic lineout operator in your backrow. A Heaslip or Ferris type. What's the story with Leamy, has he really fallen so far out of favour that Ryan is considered ahead of him at 6?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Risteard wrote: »
    It has to be a center, 3 NIQ props already, hooker is good, lock is good, backrow is decent, could be better but there is 4 good choices and some young options, SH is excellent, OH is excellent, there is quality in the back three and good young options coming through, midfield is the real problem, well that and prop but you can't really go for a fourth NIQ prop.
    I do think you're missing an athletic lineout operator in your backrow. A Heaslip or Ferris type. What's the story with Leamy, has he really fallen so far out of favour that Ryan is considered ahead of him at 6?

Ryan is in the last year of his contract I believe and is giving a good run of games in the backrow to determine whether it is a good idea to keep him I think. Also Leamy has played a lot of rugby and is being rested. He was given a week off this week.

He hasn't done badly these last few weeks either

Ye, I've heard it's a 12. Benson Stanley maybe and Corey Jane and Toueava have been mentioned as well.

Leamy's played a lot of rugby recently so I suppose it was a case of giving him a rest. Peter O'Mahony is a very tidy lineout operator from what I've seen. also has experience of running the lineout as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

tolosenc wrote: »

Sorry, should clarify in case anyone hasn't heard. He's out of Italy at the end of the RWC: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042011/2/rugby-italy-coach-mallett-world-cup.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Stanley deal to Connacht is a long way from done. However I'd be extremely pissed off if Munster swept in under our noses and took him. Tis not often we get close to signing a player of that calibre and Munster have the pick of the southern hemisphere if they can stump up the cash.

Listening to Gerry Thornley during the week on Newstalk, he said he's not entireley sure who Munster are after but he said maybe an IQ centre or a prjoject type centre. Have heard Kyle Tonetti's name mentioned elsehwere but I don't think there's anything in it because he has a year left with Sale

Advertisement