Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

The FB could be Robert Vallejo
    Not sure who Burke on the wing is?
    David Baker is the Gerrards SH.

Hopefully Leinster put up reports on both games.
    The Line up was R Vallejo; C Brennan, A Marks, F Cleary, C Burke; M Sutton, T Schmidt; E O'Sullivan, A Roche, N Mpiko, C Joyce-Ahearne, J Dwan, A Purcell, C Oliver, N Timoney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

BigHeel wrote: »
    The Line up was R Vallejo; C Brennan, A Marks, F Cleary, C Burke; M Sutton, T Schmidt; E O'Sullivan, A Roche, N Mpiko, C Joyce-Ahearne, J Dwan, A Purcell, C Oliver, N Timoney.
    Good team. Recognise quite a few names and there's a nice few youths players which is good to see considering how strong Leinster were at u18 schools last year even with the few who've skipped up to 20s level.

So its Robert Vallejo(New Ross),
    Cormac Brennan (Cistercian Roscrea), Andy Marks (Gonzaga),
    Fergal Cleary (Clongowes), C Burke (??),
    Mark Sutton (Newbridge), Tim Schmidt (Terenure),
    E O'Sullivan (Templeogue), Andy Roche (Terenure),
    Ntinga Mpiko (Kings Hospital), Colm Joyce-Ahearne (Wexford Wanderers),
    Jack Dwan (Blackrock), Andrew Purcell(Mullingar),
    Conor Oliver (Skerries), N Timoney (Blackrock)

Interesting approach from Connacht for their underage development http://www.knockon.ie/2013/08/19/mayo-squad-head-to-llanelli/

ormond lad wrote: »
    Good team. Recognise quite a few names and there's a nice few youths players which is good to see considering how strong Leinster were at u18 schools last year even with the few who've skipped up to 20s level.

So its Robert Vallejo(New Ross),
    Cormac Brennan (Cistercian Roscrea), Andy Marks (Gonzaga),
    Fergal Cleary (Clongowes), C Burke (??),
    Mark Sutton (Newbridge), Tim Schmidt (Terenure),
    E O'Sullivan (Templeogue), Andy Roche (Terenure),
    Ntinga Mpiko (Kings Hospital), Colm Joyce-Ahearne (Wexford Wanderers),
    Jack Dwan (Blackrock), Andrew Purcell(Mullingar),
    Conor Oliver (Skerries), N Timoney (Blackrock)

Interesting approach from Connacht for their underage development http://www.knockon.ie/2013/08/19/mayo-squad-head-to-llanelli/
    I think this is a good move by Connacht but you would have to wonder how many of these lads will actually get to play for Connacht if Connacht keep importing lads for their Age Grade Rep Teams.

I think this is a good move by Connacht but you would have to wonder how many of these lads will actually get to play for Connacht if Connacht keep importing lads for their Age Grade Rep Teams.
    Plenty of them will get to play for Connacht and nothing wrong with Connacht looking at players from other province's.
    Very good move. More players get a shot at playing for Connacht and get more training and higher quality of training

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Agree with Ormand lad, Connacht will only bring in players whom they believe are better than what they currently have, if they improve the players coming through their system then less players will be brought in.

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with Connacht bringing lads in at U20 but what kind of a chance will an U17 from Ballina or Westport or wherever have of playing U18 for Connacht and developing by being involved in that setup if Connacht can import a load of guys who didn't make the Leinster Schools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 PlumtreeKiss

Cillian Burke is a Clongowes boy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

I don't have a problem with Connacht bringing lads in at U20 but what kind of a chance will an U17 from Ballina or Westport or wherever have of playing U18 for Connacht and developing by being involved in that setup if Connacht can import a load of guys who didn't make the Leinster Schools.

Didn't realise they brought them in at 18's as well thought it was just 19's and 20's. I guess if Conmcht are doing that there could be a claim that they enter separate club and schools under 18 sides rather than pretty much the same side for both the schools and clubs inter pro's therefore giving more players a chance.

RuPi wrote: »
    Didn't realise they brought them in at 18's as well thought it was just 19's and 20's. I guess if Conmcht are doing that there could be a claim that they enter separate club and schools under 18 sides rather than pretty much the same side for both the schools and clubs inter pro's therefore giving more players a chance.
    As I understand it this is the last season Connacht will be able to field the same team in both the Schools and Youths InterPro series.

They will have plenty of chances to get provincial recognition and Connacht have never imported loads of players to their squads and its more the players who look to Connacht to try make their squads then Connacht looking at the players
    As I understand it this is the last season Connacht will be able to field the same team in both the Schools and Youths InterPro series.
    Interesting. Why is that?

• Advertisement

They will have plenty of chances to get provincial recognition and Connacht have never imported loads of players to their squads and its more the players who look to Connacht to try make their squads then Connacht looking at the players
    Interesting. Why is that?

With Connacht using one squad for both competitions it means they can't be run off at the same time. This year that means the the youths interpros run into the second week of Oct which delays the start of the club leagues in the provinces.
    Also I think it is hoped Connacht might try and field two sides thereby increasing the number of boys in the development tallant pool.

With Connacht using one squad for both competitions it means they can't be run off at the same time. This year that means the the youths interpros run into the second week of Oct which delays the start of the club leagues in the provinces.
    Also I think it is hoped Connacht might try and field two sides thereby increasing the number of boys in the development tallant pool.
    The youths have regularly been played into October and I don't see any issue. The youths leagues at the older age's are not that much delayed by the interpros. Many clubs esp in rural area's are not properly ready for league's to start due to GAA not finished by end of September.

Great if it means Connachts talent pool is increased by this move. Hope it works out well

Match reports of Leinster Youths and 19s against Exiles are below
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10162.php#.UhJ-HTJOPMw

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Connacht are trying hard to develop young local talent and running regional teams within the province is only trying to give more opportunities to young lads who want to play rugby. I think it is a great move.

Very few that I know of come from outside at U18, the small numbers of schools and clubs in the province has never really allowed for two competitive teams.The lads who come to Galway for the summer programme with a view to playing for the U19's and 20's are sometimes from other provinces and indeed Exiles but what is wrong with that? The chance been given to those lads is fantastic. The Irish U18 schools and clubs teams last year was probably more Leinster filled than at any time. It is right and proper that boys are picked on their ability and not what province they are from, however it gives Leinster a problem moving forward into 19's and 20's what happens with the overflow of talent?

It's not just in Connacht though that bringing young talent through is an issue. Ulster could really do with looking outside their schools programme. In the last two years they have only had one player make the Irish youths side? For a province like Ulster this should be better.

When you get to 19/20 you are looking for top players, lads who can go on to make a real go of the game, only very few will make it. I think that it is great that Connacht can give opportunities to some players, and at the same time look to get as many local players into the youth system as possible

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Connacht are trying hard to develop young local talent and running regional teams within the province is only trying to give more opportunities to young lads who want to play rugby. I think it is a great move.

Very few that I know of come from outside at U18, the small numbers of schools and clubs in the province has never really allowed for two competitive teams.The lads who come to Galway for the summer programme with a view to playing for the U19's and 20's are sometimes from other provinces and indeed Exiles but what is wrong with that? The chance been given to those lads is fantastic. The Irish U18 schools and clubs teams last year was probably more Leinster filled than at any time. It is right and proper that boys are picked on their ability and not what province they are from, however it gives Leinster a problem moving forward into 19's and 20's what happens with the overflow of talent?

It's not just in Connacht though that bringing young talent through is an issue. Ulster could really do with looking outside their schools programme. In the last two years they have only had one player make the Irish youths side? For a province like Ulster this should be better.

When you get to 19/20 you are looking for top players, lads who can go on to make a real go of the game, only very few will make it. I think that it is great that Connacht can give opportunities to some players, and at the same time look to get as many local players into the youth system as possible
    excellent post Stanza
    Ulster could do with looking outside their schools but how long while that take I wonder. Many top Ulster youths players move to top schools before making youths u18 level.
    Leinster because of their advantages in playing numbers will dominate both youths and schools with Ulster in schools rugby the only province near Leinster in terms of playing numbers.

excellent post Stanza
    Ulster could do with looking outside their schools but how long while that take I wonder. Many top Ulster youths players move to top schools before making youths u18 level.
    Leinster because of their advantages in playing numbers will dominate both youths and schools with Ulster in schools rugby the only province near Leinster in terms of playing numbers.
    Leinster do have a big advantage in numbers in the schools game. But it is the work they have done in the Youths that really impresses me. There are 8 youths players in the U19 squad this season and 5 youths players in the academy. This has happened IMO because of the work done at club and area level to develop players from non rugby schools.
    I think what Connacht is doing with the area teams is precisely what is needed to identify and help develop talent. But rugby is a late development sport and I think that as many players as possible should be accommodated in development programs in all the provinces for all age grade rugby (age grade being up to and including U19).
    To facilitate this I think
    1. that less "schoolboys" should be cleared to play in youth club competitions
    2. that all four provinces should be encouraged to have both schools and youths U18 squads.
    3. Leinster should have two U19 squads
    and
    4. there should be an All Ireland inter area U17 competition.

Leinster Under-18 Youth side.

1. Vakh Abdaladze(Coolmine)
    2. Ben Devlin(Kilkenny)
    3. Mike Russell(Naas)
    4. Conor Hand(Navan)
    5. Joe Carley(Enniscorthy)
    6. Tom Cuddihy(Kilkenny)
    7. Conor Farrell(Navan)
    8. Neil Reilly(Ardee)
    9. Andrew Feeney(Suttonians)
    10. Conor O'Brien(Mullingar)
    11. Ger O'Connor(Enniscorthy)
    12. Peter Howard(Cill Dara)
    13. Adam Mangan(Tullamore)
    14. Shane Walshe(Navan)
    15. Ronan Wallace(Mullingar)

Leinster do have a big advantage in numbers in the schools game. But it is the work they have done in the Youths that really impresses me. There are 8 youths players in the U19 squad this season and 5 youths players in the academy. This has happened IMO because of the work done at club and area level to develop players from non rugby schools.
    I think what Connacht is doing with the area teams is precisely what is needed to identify and help develop talent. But rugby is a late development sport and I think that as many players as possible should be accommodated in development programs in all the provinces for all age grade rugby (age grade being up to and including U19).
    To facilitate this I think
    1. that less "schoolboys" should be cleared to play in youth club competitions
    2. that all four provinces should be encouraged to have both schools and youths U18 squads.
    3. Leinster should have two U19 squads
    and
    4. there should be an All Ireland inter area U17 competition.
    Leinster also have big advantage in terms of numbers in youths rugby.
    The work done in youths rugby has been very impressive (you don't need to tell me, ive been one of the posters here praising youths rugby the most over the past few years)
    Yes and no on less schoolboys being released to play club competitions. They add so much to club teams when they join due to the extra work they will have put in at school with JCT/SCT and often that passes on to their teammates in clubs.
    Connacht are the only province not to have a squad for both schools and youths at interpro level and I just don't think they have the depth yet and would be surprised they do field 2 teams. I am glad they will be entering 2 teams at interpro level as more kids get the chance to wear the green of Connacht while receiving the added extra training kids receive while in the provincial set ups.
    No there should not be an all Ireland u17 inter area competition. Those inter region competitions are not about winning/losing though they are taken and seen by many that they are. Whether East Munster/Leinster Midlands win/lose all their games in Munster regional comp/Shane Horgan Cup doesn't matter. What does matter is that 20+ players in each region receive excellent training, improve as players and improve to make their respective provincial side.

Munster Youths and Munster Schools play each other today in Rockwell and squads are below
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/12169.php

Leinster also have big advantage in terms of numbers in youths rugby.
    The work done in youths rugby has been very impressive (you don't need to tell me, ive been one of the posters here praising youths rugby the most over the past few years) I know you have and I have enjoyed eading your comments and have agreed with most of them.
    Yes and no on less schoolboys being released to play club competitions. They add so much to club teams when they join due to the extra work they will have put in at school with JCT/SCT and often that passes on to their teammates in clubs. But they are taking the places of other boys. In my view school boys get enough rugby in school and we should try and use the club game to improve and develop the "youths"
    Connacht are the only province not to have a squad for both schools and youths at interpro level and I just don't think they have the depth yet and would be surprised they do field 2 teams. I am glad they will be entering 2 teams at interpro level as more kids get the chance to wear the green of Connacht while receiving the added extra training kids receive while in the provincial set ups.
    No there should not be an all Ireland u17 inter area competition. Those inter region competitions are not about winning/losing though they are taken and seen by many that they are. Whether East Munster/Leinster Midlands win/lose all their games in Munster regional comp/Shane Horgan Cup doesn't matter. What does matter is that 20+ players in each region receive excellent training, improve as players and improve to make their respective provincial side. Shane Horgan is U16. I am thinking about the year between this and U18 Youths. I agree that winning doesn't matter but playing matches at the right level does. To get the maximum benefit from the excellent training the boys need to put it into practice against good quality opposition.

I know you have and I have enjoyed eading your comments and have agreed with most of them.
    But they are taking the places of other boys. In my view school boys get enough rugby in school and we should try and use the club game to improve and develop the "youths"
    Shane Horgan is U16. I am thinking about the year between this and U18 Youths. I agree that winning doesn't matter but playing matches at the right level does. To get the maximum benefit from the excellent training the boys need to put it into practice against good quality opposition.
    They are taking places of some players but in many cases they help the team overall.
    At under 17s and 19s for the past 2/3 seasons we have used players who've been released from rugby schools to play in pan munster competitions. Yes they are in some cases taking places of other youngsters but the teams improve. The players from rugby schools released to play with Nenagh have been getting no rugby in school so were released to play rugby.
    Sorry forgot Shane Horgan is under 16 but the regional development games in Munster are under 17. Some of the regional sides in Leinster and Munster regularly play each other. For example East Munster have played Leinster Midlands in Nenagh on occasion.
    There still shouldn't be an All Ireland interregional competition as that will put into people's heads that winning is more important than player development and that is not the focus of the regional sides.

• Advertisement

Connacht's 19s playing Italy at the moment.
    team named http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2013082083405/connacht-u19s-team-v-italy-academy

Bailey-Kearney, McGivney, Higgins, Ridgeway, Nugent, Pearse, McDermott, Moran all products of Leinster underage setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Connacht lost 18-3 to Italian Academy

East Munster and Leinster Midlands played 2 games today. Only saw the 2nd half of both games. Games were played simultaneously. In game on main field the 2 sides(EM 97s v L 98s) were very even and i think Leinster Midlands beat East Munster by a score in the end. This was a very high quality game with the backlines of both sides very impressive though too much kicking for a trial game for my liking. Some of the offloading out of tackle in this game was especially good
    Game on 2nd pitch(EM 98s v L 99s) was not so even and East Munster won by a few scores. Skill levels were very impressive from both sides with Munster a bit more physical. East Munster in this game looked like they had quite a few players who had played together for club/school and much more comfortable with each other
    As usual with games like these the games were very open and the refs let things flow. Game was disrupted by injury to a Leinster. Hope it wasnt too serious

I see under 19 in Ulster will be for players born between 1/7/94 and 30/6/96 so combined with Munster at even numbers as main age groups the all Irelands will be very different this year. Shame

Shane Horgan Inter-regional cup starts Monday.
    North Midlands play North East in Cill Dara RFC 4pm. Don't know about other games and when/where they'll be played. Should be good games

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/10193

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The 4 regions in Munster played the opening games of the round robin that decides next Septembers Munster Youths in Bruff this evening. North Munster beat East Munster 5 trys to 3 in 1st game of the evening. North Munster were much more comfortable playing with each other imo with East stronger later in the game as the game loosened up
    South Munster were physically much stronger than West Munster in game 2 with several of the South Munster backline bigger than many of the West forwards but that did not stop the west side who were a very good side who ran the best lines of attack on the night and were just physically outmatched.
    2 excellent games from the 80+ players on show

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

Viewing the munster U20s squad for tonights game in Belfast, can't say I have heard of Mike Lynch (St. Senans) before, so great to see a bolter.

To be honest though, I know Madigan more than likely come back into the squad but apart from that, 3 in a squad of 23 from munster youths 2011. Would this be seen as a fair return, is this average or again showing the "perceived" divide!

clubrug wrote: »
    Viewing the munster U20s squad for tonights game in Belfast, can't say I have heard of Mike Lynch (St. Senans) before, so great to see a bolter.

To be honest though, I know Madigan more than likely come back into the squad but apart from that, 3 in a squad of 23 from munster youths 2011. Would this be seen as a fair return, is this average or again showing the "perceived" divide!
    Several of that youths squad are in 19s squad - Dylan Horgan from highfield is one. Then there is others like Parata who is now with Connacht. I wouldn't see it as a "fair return" and am surprised there is not more who came up through the youths set up in the 20s

Munster Youths beat CBC Cork 38-12 when they played in Cork during the week. Big win that would have been expected especially when CBC would probably been without their u18 schools and under 19 provincial players

• Advertisement

Some of the underage league fixtures have been released. North and West Munster league fixtures are available on the Munster website. Have to say its great to see the number of teams fielding at all age groups in both regions which is up on first glance from last season. Hope all sides can field especially at under 18 level

In other fixtures the 4 regional development sides at under 17 level in Munster play round 2 of the round robin series tonight in Fermoy with East Munster taking on West Munster at 7.15pm with South Munster and North Munster kicking off proceedings at 6pm

Advertisement